PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta

clocker
01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm sure that anyone really interested in the public release of Microsoft's newest beta OS is already aware of the fiasco it turned into.

Having once blown the release of a public beta (remember Longhorn?), I'd have thought that MS would be ready for this one but alas, it was not to be.

Even semi-savvy users such as myself realized that the .iso images were not going to be the issue (that what torrents are for), the Holy Grail was going to be the activation keys, which MS limited to 2.5 million.

Easy and widespread availability of auto-refresh apps (like Firefox's C4C) guaranteed that the MS servers would get hammered hard- which indeed happened- and MS was obviously unprepared.

Even worse is the total lack of info available since the servers went down.
No one knows the status of the delivery program, MS has had the same bland disclaimer up on the site since early yesterday afternoon so naturally, rumors abound (all unfounded to this point) and Microsoft looks increasingly inept as time after their deadline passes.

Did anyone successfully grab a key?

Cabalo
01-10-2009, 03:06 PM
no, i didn't get any key, nor could i download it from the site. i'm very disappointed, as i was eager to get hold of a copy :(

tesco
01-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Clocker, I've been using the copy I downloaded from usenet for a couple of days now with NO key.
What are my limits? :unsure:

I didn't know beta versions had the activation crap I thought they just lasted a couple hunded days then died altogether :blink:

clocker
01-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Clocker, I've been using the copy I downloaded from usenet for a couple of days now with NO key.
What are my limits? :unsure:
30 days, just like any MS OS.
There is a "rearm" patch available that will reset the 30 day "trial period" but I don't know how many times it can be applied.

I didn't know beta versions had the activation crap I thought they just lasted a couple hunded days then died altogether :blink:
With the key you're good till August 1 (I believe) and needn't bother with patches.
Of course, we all know that various workarounds will become available- probably within days- so this is not a do-or-die situation.

Cabalo
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
30 days, just like any MS OS.
There is a "rearm" patch available that will reset the 30 day "trial period" but I don't know how many times it can be applied.

With the key you're good till August 1 (I believe) and needn't bother with patches.
Of course, we all know that various workarounds will become available- probably within days- so this is not a do-or-die situation.
it can be rearmed 5 times.

clocker
01-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Ah, that's good to know...thanks.

Just managed to snag one key...it's supposedly for the 64 bit OS but rumor has it that it'll work on either.
Trying for a second now.

Edit:
Just got a 32 bit key in about 2 minutes.
Hmmm.

mbucari1
01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I got a valid key from keznews.com. Check it out.

clocker
01-10-2009, 05:54 PM
I got them both from MS and just activated one PC (32 bit OS) successfully.

Going to wait a while on my machine till I've got it set up the way I want.

peat moss
01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I'v not tried yet Clocker , but a key would be the least of my worries .

Saw this and had to shake my head :

Release candidate

Microsoft plans to move on to the release candidate stage for Windows 7 immediately after Beta.

Final build

Microsoft plans to release the final build of Windows 7 between July 1, 2009 and June 30, 2010.

Cabalo
01-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I'v not tried yet Clocker , but a key would be the least of my worries .

Saw this and had to shake my head :

Release candidate

Microsoft plans to move on to the release candidate stage for Windows 7 immediately after Beta.

Final build

Microsoft plans to release the final build of Windows 7 between July 1, 2009 and June 30, 2010.
ok, that's enough for me. we are still far from final release, and i can bet it will occur somewhere a couple of months before christmas.

tesco
01-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I just got my key form ms and put it in to my downlaoded-from-usenet copy.
Worked like a charm. ;)

BTW what are your opinions about this new taskbar?

clocker
01-10-2009, 11:54 PM
I like it.

SonsOfLiberty
01-10-2009, 11:58 PM
There are keys out there along with a true fix, it's on one of the Window sites.

Hacking windows 7 to get a key:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/10/hack-to-get-windows-7-beta-product-key-instantly/

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/27/windows-7-beta-1-build-7000-dvd-iso-image-torrent-and-namipan-download/

tesco
01-11-2009, 01:00 AM
I like it.
Which settings are you using?
I'm using the default at the moment.
Sure takes a lot of getting used to.:ermm:

Tokeman
01-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Haven't fully customized it yet, but I'm up and running on windows 7 right now. Its very clean feeling. To me, it feels like an upgraded vista, but I like vista for the most part.

Daemon tools doesn't load, but other then that, most of my apps have installed ok and are working.

asmithz
01-11-2009, 02:23 AM
I just got my key form ms and put it in to my downlaoded-from-usenet copy.
Worked like a charm. ;)

BTW what are your opinions about this new taskbar?

At first it is kind of a pain, but once you get use to it, it is kind of nice. I wouldn't want to go back now.

Detale
01-11-2009, 06:31 AM
I like it as well. In the news article on the front page there is a link to a screenshot that's supposed to be for Win7 but I cant seem to find out how to use it. It looks like Windows media player is the whole taskbar is taken up by WMP and MSN messenger like so:
http://www.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/win4.jpg

Anyone have an idea how to do this or of its even W7??

EDIT:

MEH! I found it, apparently it's not W7 but a longhorn prototype called the "doubledecker" (http://www.istartedsomething.com/20071206/double-decker-longhorn-taskbar/) taskbar. Well that ruined my day :eyebrows:

kaiser
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
I got a key yesterday. I requested in couple of minutes, but had to wait for about 30 minutes for it to be sent to my email. Now my Win 7 are activated till august.

j2k4
01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Fuck.

I've got three keys, but no download.

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

kaiser
01-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Fuck.

Fuck, fuck, fuck.
Why don't you just download iso from bittorrent? My copy was from BT and it wasn't a problem to activate it with genuine M$ key. Just make sure you download version 7000.

j2k4
01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Fuck.

Fuck, fuck, fuck.
Why don't you just download iso from bittorrent? My copy was from BT and it wasn't a problem to activate it with genuine M$ key. Just make sure you download version 7000.

I've got that; wanted the other as well, though.

I'm gonna install it as soon as a couple of sorta tenuous DLs finish...couple of days, maybe.

viru5
01-12-2009, 09:58 PM
VMware could test it??

Cabalo
01-12-2009, 10:05 PM
yes, use the windows vista profile when installing via VMWare Workstation.

Frankthetank1
01-12-2009, 10:33 PM
i got it, but dont want to install unless i know all my programs, games, drivers will work. anyone having problems?

Cabalo
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
only daemon tools so far, as was to be expected because it uses a low level driver.
but easily replaceable with poweriso, that works perfectly.

excellent build so far.

Frankthetank1
01-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Do you know if these programs will work?

Utorrent
Itunes
Imgburn
Battlefield 2
peergurdian 2
Avast
nfo viewer
Nvidia Drivers
Firefox

I saw some page and they compared Vista, Windows XP, and windows 7

Windows xp beat vista and windows 7 blew both of them away in every category

Cabalo
01-12-2009, 11:36 PM

Utorrent
Itunes
Imgburn
Battlefield 2
peergurdian 2
Avast
nfo viewer
Nvidia Drivers
Firefox

LOL, if you like old OSes, why not stick with windows 98 then? :idunno:
If you have no idea how safer Vista kernel is compared to XP, then don't bother.

i only tried utorrent and imgburn from that list, and FF of course
all working.
nfo viewer of course will work, it's not dependable on any dependancies.

viru5
01-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Windows 7 beats Vista?

Frankthetank1
01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
dude Where have you been windows xp beats vista.

why would i upgrade to vista when its bigger and slower? wouldnt that be a downgrade. speed is my number one priority.

Utorrent
Itunes
Imgburn
Battlefield 2
peergurdian 2
Avast
nfo viewer
Nvidia Drivers
Firefox

LOL, if you like old OSes, why not stick with windows 98 then? :idunno:
If you have no idea how safer Vista kernel is compared to XP, then don't bother.

i only tried utorrent and imgburn from that list, and FF of course
all working.
nfo viewer of course will work, it's not dependable on any dependancies.

Cabalo
01-13-2009, 01:15 AM
dude Where have you been windows xp beats vista.

why would i upgrade to vista when its bigger and slower? wouldnt that be a downgrade. speed is my number one priority.
you obviously don't know what you are talking about.
Comparing XP to Vista in terms of OS security, RAM management, services, kernel, and the list goes too long, is just like comparing the 1978 Toyota Corolla to the 2006 one.
The name is similar, but what's inside is totally different.

Trust me on this one, i do this for a living.

Frankthetank1
01-13-2009, 01:28 AM
You dont think vista is bloated? You dont think vista is slower then xp? Why do you need a fast PC to run vista then you do xp? Why is it if you run a benchmark on the same pc xp beats vista? Dont you think they will fading out vista quickier then any of their prior operating systems?

Cabalo
01-13-2009, 01:43 AM
You dont think vista is bloated? You dont think vista is slower then xp? Why do you need a fast PC to run vista then you do xp? Why is it if you run a benchmark on the same pc xp beats vista? Dont you think they will fading out vista quickier then any of their prior operating systems?
do you know of MS previous OS lifespan? each 3 years they released a new one, sometimes less.
Vista and project Longhorn took all this time to show up, because of their whole redesign, and i'm not talking about the interface, which is all 99% of the users care about.
It became the foundation for the upcoming OSes that they are now releasing. Server 2008 is an astonishing OS and it's the direct result of project longhorn.

By the way, i did install XP back on 2001 when it was released, and my computers were completely hogged. I suppose you weren't expecting a OS in 2006 that were as demanding as one 5 years before? Hardware evolved a lot, and it's good to take profit out of it.
Or are you one of those that complain Vista uses too much ram? Ram was made to be used, not to just sit there and the user masturbate on how much available RAM he has free. Vista does an excellent job at it.
Fuck, at either XP or 2003 i must use memory managers to unclutter the RAm after a couple of hours running, and on Vista it's a lot less neccessary.

I don't feel if Vista is heavy or not, i have a modern machine, the ones that the OS was designed for. I feel sorry if the users with older hardware feel it slows their system, but old hardware is to be replaced.
Just look at the gaming industry. Do you expect a computer built in 2001 to run a game from 2006 ?
why should it be different with the OS ?

j2k4
01-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Well said.

Now, if I could only get it to transfer files and format cards as fast as XP...

clocker
01-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Has anyone successfully gotten- or even attempted to get-the Everest desktop gadget working?

I can get it to show up in the Gadgets options list but all I can displayed on the screen is a message telling me that Everest must not be running...particularly galling when the Everest window is open on the same screen and clearly very much operational.

I've tried the "fixes" I found through google (which involve batch files and the 6800 build Gadget files) to no avail.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/bones24.jpg

Sidebar support is definitely enabled...I can get the MS gadgets to display, just not Everest.
A minor irritation that threatens to become an obsession...please, save me.

j2k4
01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I haven't had any luck with Everest and 64-bit whatsoever; that includes all versions, legitimate or cracked/patched.

I wish you luck, sir; truth is, almost all of the glitches I've had with Vista are sidebar issues.

I'm tempted to play around with the Google sidebar...

Tokeman
01-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Clocker, havent messed with that gadget much, but if you figure it out, please post the fix here!

Been running windows 7 for a few days now exclusivly, and I have to say, I'm still impressed. For a beta, its very stable. Only a few minor bugs which I'm sure they will iron out. Not looking forward to booting back into vista when i'm done testing.

clocker
01-14-2009, 02:44 AM
Clocker, havent messed with that gadget much, but if you figure it out, please post the fix here!

Got it.
None of my Everest programs (obtained through torrents) had installers- they were just the executable and that apparently don't cut it as far as the sidebar is concerned.
Installing an earlier version (4.20.something) solved the issue...the sidebar gadget works.
Unfortunately, this older version does not recognize my motherboard and misreads a few things...gonna have to find a full install version of the later -4.60- build.

BTW, found this (http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2009/01/12/the-bumper-list-of-windows-7-secrets.aspx) site which has some interesting Win7 info.

dutchmaster420
01-14-2009, 01:54 PM
been running 32bit 7 for about 4 days now and the only problem ive had was avg installed but when tried to run got bsod...otherwize it ran everthing else and has been running smoothly

Frankthetank1
01-17-2009, 05:06 AM
Vista is like an extra thick condom. More safe but slightly less fun, even viruses have compatibility issues.

r3volut1onx
01-17-2009, 08:56 AM
i think windows 7 will be very good

Ahmed047
01-18-2009, 12:53 PM
even viruses have compatibility issues.
:lol::lol::lol:
I am using Windows 7 beta for 3 weeks now & i can till the following :
1- it is very stable you can use it as your main os
2- there is a problem with mp3 files but microsoft released a patch for it named kb961367
3-daemon tool is not working but if you want a iso program power iso work great
4- both office 2003 & 2007 work great
5- adobe acrobat pro extended 9 work great
6- photoshop cs work great (the only photoshop i tried)
7- k lite codec work great (latest version)
8- firefox no problem
9- kaspersky 2009 no problem
10- few network issues but rare ,& can be solved by disable then enable your network adapter

it is a very good beta , waiting for RTM .

clocker
01-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Anyone tried to install Acronis True Image on this OS yet?
I get an "installer stopped working" error every time.

Tried in compatibility mode for Vista and XP SP2.

Ahmed047
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM

I have this problem too ,any one have the answer ???

7th
01-20-2009, 02:39 AM
I got a key from microsoft to use the the 7 beta but I'm not convinced about it yet =(

I'm quite happy with my Vista Ultimate... Works smooth here, without problems...

What do you think? Better give it a try? The problem is that I don't have a backup PC for tests =/

kaiweiler
01-20-2009, 03:08 AM
I got my key from Microsoft today, so went for the install.
Got my 750gb cleaned off so I figured I would just put it on that and switch drives via BIOS when I want to use Vista Ultimate...
Got this damn error even after several formats and partition creating, blah blah blah

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/kweiler87/P1190001.jpg

What gives?

EDIT fixed, just had to unplug my raid array and change my SATA settings from Raid to AHCI. Simple enough, but I'm tired so don't laugh :/

Frankthetank1
01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
I hear punkbuster and win7 dont jive so if you play a game that uses punkbuster dont upgrade to win7 just yet.

SonsOfLiberty
01-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Not sure where to put this, but seems ok, since it's about Windows 7.

Windows.Seven.XP.VS.Incl.Superbar-WiNDOWSX

http://pic.leech.it/i/c0085/a8d5dbfbscreenshot.png (http://pic.leech.it/pic.php?id=a8d5dbfbscreenshot.png)

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE UXTHEME MULTI-PATCHER APPLIED. IF NOT, THIS THEME WILL NOT WORK ON
YOUR SYSTEM

UXTHEME Patch included just incase you DO NOT have it.

---Windows Seven-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 7 Beta 1 build 7000 was leaked as usual and I've got chance to toy around with
it for a while. Well, Superbar UI is kinda slim and doesn't take space for each taskbar
item so I decided to make some ports to Windows XP visual style based on Windows Vista's
Aero visual style.

This is demonstration version for testing only so I'll include only one theme called Aero
which is ported Windows Aero view with default shellstyle mode. If this theme rocks, I'll
do basic and more ports (maybe Seven Transformation Pack if there's enough demand).

To activate Superbar, double click on "setup.reg" file and click Yes -> OK. If you want
to restore to default settings, double click on "restore.reg" file and click Yes -> OK.
You need to restart or logoff and logon again to make changes.

http://www.windowsxlive.net

[email protected]

---Windows Seven-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last update 04/01/2009

Version 1.0
-Initial Release

Download Windows.Seven.XP.VS.Incl.Superbar-WiNDOWSX (http://www.mediafire.com/?jizzemjuyjq)

NJOY! :thumbup2:

Z00
01-22-2009, 08:52 PM
good work man

royalshape
01-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I'll write a little review of my experience.

I'm using Windows 7 as my main OS, and I'm not woring about my data, because all important things are stored on drive D:.

Apparently W7 is very fast and it has some things that make everyday use real easier. As NEVER before, I'm excited about a new coming version of Windows. I just can't wait for it to be released.

Really, Microsoft this time seems to be doing a good work.

I only miss one thing cut out from Vista, which is the rating system INSIDE the image viewer and the file filter from windows explorer. Nothing else I miss.

As I said, apparently W7 runs faster. HOWEVER all results and scores from Everest benchmark except one (called PhotoWorks or something like this) are worse in W7 and very similar to Vista scores. The difference in pontuation is at max at about 5% worse. Photoworks got 2% better.

Indeed, this results show little difference in everyday use. And I know, Everest benchmark is not a very comprehensive test.

In AquaMark I see a more pronounced change.

My humble notebook (Acer 3100, semprom 3400+, 2.5GB, radeon xpress 1100) scored in
XP: 11,946;
Vista: 11,089;
W7: 10,096, which means 18% less than XP. It's a great disadvantage.

I used the program called AMD Fusion that promisses increase graphics performance by unabling some unuseful fancy things in windows, and the score got 10,935. It really did its job!

I didn't use Amd Fusion on XP or Vista.

After all I'm still very excited about the new windows, and I hope it really comes out in Summer!

clocker
01-25-2009, 01:30 AM

I have this problem too ,any one have the answer ???
Got it.
Acronis True Image 11 build .8101 works in Win7 x64 (so I'll assume it works in 32 bit as well).

Run in Vista compatibility mode with administrator rights.

clocker
01-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Got it.
Acronis True Image 11 build .8101 works in Win7 x64 (so I'll assume it works in 32 bit as well).

Run in Vista compatibility mode with administrator rights.
Update on Acronis.

It does indeed install and create backup images properly.

But- isn't there always a "but"?- I'm having trouble actually restoring from the backup image.
This could be due to the fact that I'm trying to restore onto a RAID 0 array with a different stripe size (which was the whole reason for this to begin with...testing the OS performance on different stripe sizes) but the main problem is the boot partition that Win7 creates.

Supposedly, my image included this 200MB "boot partition" but after restoration, I get a missing bootloader error message.
Using the Win7 disk to repair the startup issue did work, although after the repair my disk no longer has the discrete 200MB partition, instead there is a 200MB "unallocated" space and the boot sector seems to be integrated into the main system volume.

Very odd.

Anyway, I next thought to try the image backup function included in the OS itself.
This didn't go too well...it refused to create an image.

My OS has not been activated yet, maybe that had something to do with it (not sure why that would be, just a guess).

One issue with the MS image backup app...
This program wants to create an image of all the files "necessary for Windows to run" and that apparently includes the pagefile.
Since my pagefile had been moved off C: to a totally separate drive (my Media storage drive- 1TB) the image was going to include not only the C: drive but the ENTIRETY of the Media drive as well...a total image size of over 600GB!
I got around this by moving the pagefile back onto C: which would have made for a 9GB backup image...but then the program errored out and refused to go further.

So, my plan to easily test different RAID stripe sizes has not gone very well.
Tomorrow I'm going to do a clean metal install onto a slightly larger stripe size- probably 64kb- and try the Windows image app again after activation.

Ah, beta testing.

Ninja edit:
UltraMon does work in compatibility mode.
It throws an error message at bootup but seems to actually work fine.
Kinda cool spanning one pic over two monitors...there are actually websites that specialize in dual monitor wallpapers- who knew?
Screencap of what I'm currently running...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Ultramon.png

kaiweiler
01-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Link to high res wallpaper?

Please

-edited for manners...

Jerediah
01-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Sweet :)

clocker
01-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Just google "dual monitor wallpaper" and go to town.

kaiweiler
01-27-2009, 07:28 AM
I meant yours specifically...

Ahmed047
01-27-2009, 05:48 PM
My OS has not been activated yet I have extra serial to activate your os if you want it just let me know :)

clocker
01-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks but I have more serials than I know what to do with.
I don't activate because I've been reinstalling so frequently.

Frankthetank1
01-28-2009, 12:21 AM
i am sure this will work but i dled the 64 bit version but found out it doesnt give well with punkbuster so i need to get the 32 bit version. will my key work for the 32 bit version of win7

clocker
01-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Yes.

central2rbay
01-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey there Gang,

Wish we had some form of a vote on whether Seven was worth installing as either: a) Main OS | b) Dual Boot-up :rolleyes:

Many seemed to have expressed opinions with words such as stable, best beta OS released, etc etc... Just curious to hear from a few on whether it's worth completely switching over??? It's about time I prepare for a clean reformat, so if there's anytime for me to make it, it's now! Lol.

As always, thanks for the posts and opinions ~ all helpful.

clocker
01-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Do it.

Now.

Frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Okay i just installed windows 7 32 bit, but cant get power ISo to work. Can someone help?

even viruses have compatibility issues.

SonsOfLiberty
01-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Found this :)

Step-By-Step on How To Download, Install and Activate Windows 7 Beta Without Messing Currently Installed OS and Dual-Boot (http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/01/14/step-by-step-on-how-to-download-install-and-activate-windows-7-beta-without-messing-currently-installed-os-and-dual-boot/)

central2rbay
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
:rolleyes: Ahh, thanks a bunch for that post SonsOfLiberty.... Very helpful indeed.

Ahmed047
01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Okay i just installed windows 7 32 bit, but cant get power ISo to work. Can someone help?

which version of power iso you use ? , i use power iso 4.2 & it work great ,i upload it to rapid share download & try it :) & do not forget to rt click & run as administrator

http://rapidshare.com/files/191517685/PowerISO42.exe.html

SonsOfLiberty
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
:rolleyes: Ahh, thanks a bunch for that post SonsOfLiberty.... Very helpful indeed.

Here's this one too:

How To Dual-Boot Windows 7 and XP/Vista (http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista)

Frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 11:06 PM
i was using 4.3 and just tried your version 4.2 that didnt work either. When i try to mount an image i get poweriso has stopped working windows is trying to fix the problem...

Can you not run it in start up right click on it and mount image like daemon tools?

which version of power iso you use ? , i use power iso 4.2 & it work great ,i upload it to rapid share download & try it :) & do not forget to rt click & run as administrator

http://rapidshare.com/files/191517685/PowerISO42.exe.html

peat moss
01-31-2009, 01:40 AM

Here's this one too:

How To Dual-Boot Windows 7 and XP/Vista (http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista)

Ah thanks that's great, bookmarked ! Only thing holding me back was if the boys could play their games as XP can't upgrade from this version .

Can anyone comment on gaming issues or video drivers etc. ? I'd love to try , have my key and iso ready to go . :unsure:

Frankthetank1
01-31-2009, 04:51 AM
okay i figured it out but i have a new problem. how do i get the program i want to run to find the image i just mounted. I keep getting an error please insert disk. Never had this problem on winxp

firefox
01-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Try ultraiso, you may have better luck....

Cabalo
01-31-2009, 07:02 AM
Here's this one too:

Ah thanks that's great, bookmarked ! Only thing holding me back was if the boys could play their games as XP can't upgrade from this version .

Can anyone comment on gaming issues or video drivers etc. ? I'd love to try , have my key and iso ready to go . :unsure:
well, i can't give you an accurate answer on that, as i run win7 on a virtual machine. but there aren't official drivers either from nvidia/ati, though it's easy to install the vista versions, but i'd expect a degraded performance, because usually drivers make a lot of difference (see what happened when the first official versions were released to vista).
though, playing x264 is done flawlessly, but it's not 3D.

peat moss
01-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks Cablo, wanted to try on my newer machine but that's the gaming one . Will have to settle using the wife's computer as the test subject ... she won't notice the difference . :naughty:

clocker
01-31-2009, 02:36 PM
There is an "official" nVidia driver slipstreamed into the image and an upgraded beta available when you go to Windows Update.
I've been using the 181.20 driver from nVidia and it seems to work fine but then again, I don't game.

mgc4ever
01-31-2009, 02:44 PM
it's nice

umar7001
01-31-2009, 04:51 PM
been running 32bit 7 for about 4 days now and the only problem ive had was avg installed but when tried to run got bsod.

ConkiZz
01-31-2009, 11:59 PM
W7 seems really interesting. Think i'm gonna install the RC when i comes.

tesco
02-01-2009, 12:44 AM
been running 32bit 7 for about 4 days now and the only problem ive had was avg installed but when tried to run got bsod.
runs fine for me.:unsure:

peat moss
02-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I was impressed with the speed of a clean install but I'm spoiled with the Black slip streamed disks . I made a mistake installing on a high end laptop and drivers were nonexistent too much trouble to experiment .

Will try with a desktop later tho .

Ahmed047
02-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Both builds 7022 & 7025 leaked but no great difference from build 7000 i will wait for the RC1

SonsOfLiberty
02-09-2009, 10:31 PM
runs fine for me.:unsure:

I got bsod'd from my sound card, installed the wrong drivers and boom, see you 7 :lol:

I can say NOD32 is working (with fix) and Windows 7 says that Kaspersky and AVG, along with Norton all for "sure" supported in 7.

Inorbaj
02-10-2009, 02:30 AM
Been using this for a few weeks at work and like it a lot

Cabalo
02-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Both builds 7022 & 7025 leaked but no great difference from build 7000 i will wait for the RC1

taken from somewhere using google:

Build 7022.0.x86fre.winmain.090115-1850 is a clear indication that the Redmond giant is making headway with the development of Windows 7. The release contains a number of changes over Windows 7 Beta. Most important, users of Windows 7 will now be able to run the Release Candidate of the Internet Explorer 8 shipping as a default component with the operating system. In addition, there are also tweaks to the former Windows Sidebar, now the Desktop Gadget Gallery with a new icon, new animation effects for Windows Explorer, a new icon for Home Group, but also changes to Paint, to the way search is performed via the Start Menu and to the general stability of the platform.

Gedefo
02-10-2009, 09:05 PM
I run this windows...
Is good, nice, runs ok for moment :D
pending full :)

SonsOfLiberty
02-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Windows 7: The Complete Guide

http://i.gizmodo.com/5150298/windows-7-the-complete-guide?skyline=true&s=x

epark28
02-12-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm in the process of installing the x64 version. I've been running 32-bit for a while now - it seems to be better than Vista. I like the new screen-dragging capabilities.

Ahmed047
02-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Windows 7: The Complete Guide

http://i.gizmodo.com/5150298/windows-7-the-complete-guide?skyline=true&s=x

good link thanks for post

Reticon
03-30-2009, 12:12 PM
okay i figured it out but i have a new problem. how do i get the program i want to run to find the image i just mounted. I keep getting an error please insert disk. Never had this problem on winxp

Please tell me how you "figured it out". I have the same problem, the virtual drives appear in windows 7 but mounting an image results in "poweriso has stopped working". Specifically, I'm trying to mount my bf2 mini image that I used in Windows 7 so that I don't have to keep pulling out the game disk every time I want to play.

-i7
03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey guys, lurking Mac user here. I just ordered my first PC since 1993, so I'm curious if I should run Windows 7 or Vista 64.

It is an i7 920 with 6GB RAM and an NVIDIA 9800GT 512MB to be used for playing the Call of Duty line of games and for downloading HD movies via uTorrent.

I'm not that great with PCs and don't plan on doing anything extraordinary and probably won't overclock, so I just want a hasslefree solution to meet my needs.

Thanks.

clocker
03-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Win7, no question.

-i7
03-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Cool, just to make sure I don't get a headache:

Does Windows 7 have issues with Activation or getting a product key? What about drivers?

dadelor
03-31-2009, 05:37 PM
I just finished installing build 7068 x64. and so far i havent had any problems. activation using previous builds serial number was flawless. all my drivers are installed had to run compatibility mode for some to install. and i was even able to find a patch that got rid of the annoying watermark. so far im loving it.

wiktor112PL
04-02-2009, 09:05 AM
I got a valid key from keznews.com. Check it out.