PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining anonymity on private trackers??

m021478
01-11-2009, 08:37 AM
I was curious what methods some of you have been using (if any) to maintain your anonymity while downloading from private trackers ~ almost all of which expressly prohibit the use of any sort of anonymizing service
To name just one, BitMeTV expressly states on their log-in page:
"The use of ANY kind of anonymizing service will result in an immediate disabling of your account."
Even for the trackers that don't expressly warn users about such consequences on their homepage, most private trackers do keep tabs on the IP address you're downloading from so that they can attempt to prevent you from sharing your account with friends...This would seem to result in problems if you were to use a proxy or SSH Tunnel configuration of some kind to maintain your anonymity while downloading from the private tracker because using a proxy or SSH Tunnel would change your IP address...

The same would be true if you'd planned on using TorrentPrivacy.com, a service heralded by TorrentFreak.com as being one of the only truly secure methods of maintaining your anonymity...correct?

Having pointed all of this out, how do some of you go about maintaining your anonymity on private trackers...or do you?

meelad
01-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Maintaining anonymity on private trackers isn't really required. I don't use any kind of anonymizers on private trackers as it is risky.

m021478
01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Why would you think it really isn't required?

Wouldn't it be just as easy for an RIAA or MPAA "spy" to take note of your IP address on a private trackers as it would be for them to do so on a public tracker (when you and they are seeding/leeching the same torrent as one another)?

jasperr
01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Most tracker sites have policies/rules against this.. for the simple reason that it would be impossible to keep the unwanteds off their sites.. you know the traders, cheats, and anyone else who piss off the tracker staff and make them ban ... i really don't feel anonymity is an issue.... it's only a issue if your trying to hide something!.. if you are trying to hide something, then you don't need that tracker....

thank you and have a nice day!!!

vic
01-11-2009, 11:05 AM
that's because bitmetv are just a bunch of shitheads.

i'm not concerned by this issue idk why.

Swift
01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
most good private tracker don't require a high anonymity lvl, i trust that they have a secure server with no leacks

jasperr
01-11-2009, 11:33 AM
if it's a decent tracker(with folks who know what they are doing), no one should worry too much.. that's my opinion anyways on it..

Brenya
01-11-2009, 09:00 PM
dupe: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-do-you-wear-protection-328707/page5

D1zkK1ll
01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I dont use on my tracker anything. I trust the staff members and I know they crypt their server etc..
I would say,good private tracker a secure.

piratebot
01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
seedbox? riaa/mpaa spy will connect to your seedbox's ip instead of your home's

it's probably a bit different if the tracker's servers get taken.

Time-Traveller
01-11-2009, 11:14 PM
The only way to have a completely secure box is by not connecting it to any networks especially the internet, anything that can be encrypted can be decrypted, anything that can be hidden can be revealed if the programmer is knowledgeable, determined enough and has plenty time on their hands.

It's just reverse engineering, you see :)

Brenya
01-12-2009, 02:22 AM
anything that can be encrypted can be decrypted, anything that can be hidden can be revealed if the programmer is knowledgeable, determined enough and has plenty time on their hands.
No one has enough time on their hands.

Time-Traveller
01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
anything that can be encrypted can be decrypted, anything that can be hidden can be revealed if the programmer is knowledgeable, determined enough and has plenty time on their hands.

Ever heard of distributed / cloud computing ?

It probably wouldn't take as long as you think

Brenya
01-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Yeah, I have. Google does it. Lots of cheap equipment, en masse. Still, though... although it certainly is a possibility... let's be practical, no one is going to do it just to get at your truecrypt file full of music and games.

R*AA and M*AA are like lions. They attack the weakest antelope, not the one that costs the most to kill.

Time-Traveller
01-12-2009, 04:31 PM

Yeah, I have. Google does it. Lots of cheap equipment, en masse. Still, though... although it certainly is a possibility... let's be practical, no one is going to do it just to get at your truecrypt file full of music and games.

R*AA and M*AA are like lions. They attack the weakest antelope, not the one that costs the most to kill.

Your absolutely right the RIAA etc isn't going to go to this kind of effort to take out sharers like ourselves, the point I was making was that anything that can be coded can be decoded if it really had to be done.

I like the lions & antelope's analogy btw :)

Brenya
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I like the lions & antelope's analogy btw :)
I heard the anti-piracy organizations *cough* I mean the lions eat the entire antelope - bone and all!

m021478
01-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Regarding some of your comments that mention not worrying about if because it's a credible tracker with admin who know what they are doing, or that the tracker encrypts their traffic...

Wouldn't one of the watchdog orgs simply be able to find out your IP by sharing a torrent that you are leeching/seeding from/to, then they could simply check the list of IP's of connected peers in their BT client?

TheFoX
01-13-2009, 01:18 AM
The simple fact is that there is no real way to hide your identity from someone determined to find it. The way that the bit torrent protocol works means that you need to lets other swarm members know your IP address. If you use a seedbox, there will be records connected with that seedbox (via to/from).

Servers all log data throughput, so if you make 15 hops to a server, each hop will log the packet transfer.

Of course, whether we use a sledge hammer to crack a nut in the case of filesharing is the real answer. George Bush could go to war with Sweden over filesharing, but would he?

The simple fact is that the industry will always opt for the cheapest option with the greatest reward. As someone said, it is like the lion chasing down the slowest antelope.

Alien5
01-13-2009, 05:37 AM
The Art of Taming Wild Horses.

also look in the forums of some private trackers for guides on anonymizing and hiding your IP etc. then click on the users profile, the last time i checked most were banned, but the guide remains there. :lol:

m021478
01-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Still, though... although it certainly is a possibility... let's be practical, no one is going to do it just to get at your truecrypt file full of music and games.
I feel like an idiot for even asking this, but you've made a habit of downloading and sharing music, games, etc exclusively to/from your truecrypt file? Not really sure why, but doing that never occurred to me (like I said, I now feel like an idiot). Would you care to embellish a bit on any peculiarities of such a configuration?

also look in the forums of some private trackers for guides on anonymizing and hiding your IP etc. then click on the users profile, the last time i checked most were banned, but the guide remains there. :lol:
Any change you could spill the beans on which private tracker forum I should search for the guide you mentioned on ~ or can you send me a link (or the text) to the guide you are talking about?

Thanks!

hijump
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
anonimyty is not good ... popularity is very good for you ... to maintain fit for the wolrd

Brenya
01-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Would you care to embellish a bit on any peculiarities of such a configuration?
There's nothing peculiar about a truecrypt volume. You just specify its size, punch in a password, and create it. Then you mount it and it acts just like a separate partition, with its own drive letter.

As long as you mount the volume with the same letter, utorrent can find the files.

m021478
01-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Would you care to embellish a bit on any peculiarities of such a configuration?
There's nothing peculiar about a truecrypt volume. You just specify its size, punch in a password, and create it. Then you mount it and it acts just like a separate partition, with its own drive letter.

As long as you mount the volume with the same letter, utorrent can find the files.

With the primary reason of actually doing so being that, in the event the RIAA or MPAA file a lawsuit and the cops come smashing down your door to confiscate your hard drives, you would have all of your torrent files stored securely on an encrypted volume (that would require the help of the NSA to crack)...correct?

wiseD
01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
if it's a decent tracker(with folks who know what they are doing), no one should worry too much.. that's my opinion anyways on it..
Exactly.

Private tracker = privacy. So if you don't feel safe on a tracker, get out. Simple as.

edit: lol @ RIAA or MPAA stealing your hard drives and breaking down your front door :D

Brenya
01-16-2009, 05:15 AM

With the primary reason of actually doing so being that, in the event the RIAA or MPAA file a lawsuit and the cops come smashing down your door to confiscate your hard drives, you would have all of your torrent files stored securely on an encrypted volume (that would require the help of the NSA to crack)...correct?
No, the primary reason is general (and perfect) security from any unwarranted eavesdroppers... like my fucking dorm-mates, who are pretty tech-savvy...

The technology to encrypt is out there, and it's your right to use it.

And Truecrypt tells you everything in their pdf tutorial.

SonsOfLiberty
01-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Who says private trackers are safe?

Private Trackers Do Not = privacy , how do you think they keep your ratio and your stats, they log you IP...sounds safe and sound to me. Next thing you know the site gets busted and they have you IP, your posts, your name, your uploads, your downloads, etc..... :)

Truecrypt is good if your not traveling outside of the US, because once you try to cross the border they will take you laptop and force you to give up the key or keep you laptop forever. It's a nice new law they have now.

Alien5
01-16-2009, 05:30 AM
can you send me a link (or the text) to the guide you are talking about?

Thanks!

last time i checked there were guides in uk t & torrent bytes, lost my password for both so i cant be arsed.

Just tried the TB signup again i feel like smashing my keyboard up AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

Lovestoned
01-16-2009, 06:26 AM
There are always certain risks for good stuffs.

If you dare to venture into piracy on internet and your country stringently disallows it and has been fining BT users for piracy in your country you should probably stop now then.

Zaxx
01-16-2009, 07:55 AM
The simple fact is that there is no real way to hide your identity from someone determined to find it. The way that the bit torrent protocol works means that you need to lets other swarm members know your IP address. If you use a seedbox, there will be records connected with that seedbox (via to/from).

Servers all log data throughput, so if you make 15 hops to a server, each hop will log the packet transfer.

Of course, whether we use a sledge hammer to crack a nut in the case of filesharing is the real answer. George Bush could go to war with Sweden over filesharing, but would he?

The simple fact is that the industry will always opt for the cheapest option with the greatest reward. As someone said, it is like the lion chasing down the slowest antelope.

Very well put. I don't bother with being anony bs...I stick to private trackers that have their shit together (hint: bigger isn't always better..just makes it a bigger target) and stay off public ones. Never had an isp notice or dmca letter since I started torrenting in 2001. (heh...also use pg2 with bluetack list for what it's worth...lmao...old habbits are hard to break.:rolleyes:)

wiseD
01-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Who says private trackers are safe?

Private Trackers Do Not = privacy , how do you think they keep your ratio and your stats, they log you IP...sounds safe and sound to me. Next thing you know the site gets busted and they have you IP, your posts, your name, your uploads, your downloads, etc..... :)

So why would you join and be part of a site that doesn't encrypt the logs, data or isn't responsible with your info? Obviously they log your IP, they have all the history of your account anyway, it's part of TBDev and Gazelle.

Numbers on a site don't mean anything in a court case anyway, they can be changed at a click of a button by anyone above mod status.

Brenya
01-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Truecrypt is good if your not traveling outside of the US, because once you try to cross the border they will take you laptop and force you to give up the key or keep you laptop forever. It's a nice new law they have now.
Source. :mellow: