PDA

View Full Version : public trackers?

jezemy
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
They finally pulled through for me :lol:. I was trying to download Guitar Hero 3 for the Mac. I tried Brokenstones and Demonoid. Both pulled up pathetic speeds of about 30kb/s. Torrenttracker found a Piratebay torrent, and voila! speeds of about 500kb/s. I can now get in 5hrs as apposed to 3 days. This is what I don't understand. Surely those on private trackers have more of an obligation to seed at faster speeds and it is in their best interests? It is beneficial both ways: leechers get files quicker and their ratios get boosted quicker. Why are the speeds so slow then sometimes.

Brenya
01-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Surely those on private trackers have more of an obligation to seed at faster speeds and it is in their best interests? It is beneficial both ways: leechers get files quicker and their ratios get boosted quicker. Why are the speeds so slow then sometimes.
Peers on private trackers are more obliged to keep seeding, but that doesn't mean that peers on public trackers aren't. People like seeding... it's just a matter of keeping utorrent on... especially when there's little risk.

When I used to have a decent connection, I would seed Linux distributions just for the hell of it. :happy: I guess that's how it is for all torrent files to citizens of countries like Sweden, who couldn't care less about copyright infringement.

jezemy
01-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Good to know. It seems that the theory that all humans are ultimately selfish might not be completely true :lol:

Brenya
01-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Good to know. It seems that the theory that all humans are ultimately selfish might not be completely true :lol:
On the biological level we have to; but on the psychological level I guess we don't...

vpg8000
01-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Out of all the public trackers, TPB is by far the fastest for me. Granted I haven't used many (actually none) as of late.

Polarbear
01-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Why are the speeds so slow then sometimes.

because the torrent you mentioned is 6 month old with 3 seeder. you can easily max out 50mbit on well seeded new torrents at bs. try that on tpb.

bentomans
01-12-2009, 03:10 AM
it's not up to public or private but it's up peers and your speed .

Private:
- Seeder : 1 (seedbox)
- Your connection : Home ... you can get 10 kbps but if your connection is Seedbox then you can get 100 mbps

Public:
- Seeder : 20(nonseedbox)
- Your connection : Home ... you can get 1024 kbps but your connection is Seedbox then you can get 2 mbps

Funkin'
01-12-2009, 03:27 AM
It's the luck of the draw, that's all.

Polarbear
01-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Private:
- Seeder : 1 (seedbox)
- Your connection : Home ... you can get 10 kbps but if your connection is Seedbox then you can get 100 mbps

nonsense. if you leech from a 100mbit seedbox you'll most likely max out your home connection. you don't need a seedbox to benefit from another seedbox. who told you that?

Something Else
01-12-2009, 03:37 AM
nonsense. if you leech from a 100mbit seedbox you'll most likely max out your home connection. you don't need a seedbox to benefit from another seedbox. who told you that?

What he said. As long as you're connectable.

The_Martinator
01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't know if Brokenstones has a bonus system. While those are great (especially for people like me with slow speeds), some users cap their upload speed because them.

0control
01-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Private trackers often have good speeds on new torrents because everyone is seeding with all their bandwidth to push up their ratio, at the other hand many does not care to seed for torrents with few leeches because that won't help their ratio much. At public trackers it doesn't matter if the torrent is new or old because there aint no ratio at all. Thats what I believe.