PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail Accounts

pol
09-12-2003, 03:30 PM
okay, i've just checked my hotmail account and i have a returned message...."System Administrator....Undeliverable...."

it's some kind of spam get rich quick thing that has been sent back to me, although i obviously didnt send it in the first place.
i've checked the senders address and it's identical to mine's so i'm thinking is it just a balls up could someone else be using my details/account ??

any help with this much appreciated
pol :D

MUSLEMAN
09-12-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by pol@12 September 2003 - 11:30
okay, i've just checked my hotmail account and i have a returned message...."System Administrator....Undeliverable...."

it's some kind of spam get rich quick thing that has been sent back to me, although i obviously didnt send it in the first place.
i've checked the senders address and it's identical to mine's so i'm thinking is it just a balls up could someone else be using my details/account ??

i think somebody hacked your account, not sure tho

Déjà Vu
09-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Someone may have used an anonymous mail sender and used your e-mail as the sender <_<

Bodasher
09-12-2003, 03:43 PM
IMHO Hotmail is utter undiluted cack. You should go with a POP3 account or something more secure. I can&#39;t suggest anything though because I use POP3.

TClite
09-12-2003, 03:47 PM
i hope you didnt open it, this is probably the latest virii spread initiative...quite smart actually

pol
09-12-2003, 03:50 PM
thanks guys,

i wasnt sure anything like this was poss, but i just googled it and there&#39;s over 50,000 hits. :(
i&#39;ll look into someting else for an email account. if any of you have any ideas for easy free email let me know please.

thanks again
pol :)

pol
09-12-2003, 03:52 PM
i hope you didnt open it, this is probably the latest virii spread initiative...quite smart actually

:blink: oooops, looks like i&#39;ll be about 2 hours with norton then

TClite
09-12-2003, 03:53 PM
I &#39;have&#39; to use hotmail, my isp doesnt give me any pop3, i like the feature within messenger, in that a little pop up appears when you get a message, thats my main reason for using it, just set up your spam filters and overlook whats obviously dribble

Supernatural
09-12-2003, 07:13 PM
I have Webmail with Earthlink, but that&#39;s sacred. I don&#39;t give that to ANYONE. People will just sign me up for those damed e-cards or daily jokes. That&#39;s where spam comes from. Hotmail is good enough for everyday use. The spam filter is good, but not great. You can&#39;t complain for something that&#39;s free. It&#39;s either that or yahoo. :lol: :lol: :lol: I think we all know what&#39;s their situation with spam. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Storm
09-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by pol@12 September 2003 - 16:30
okay, i&#39;ve just checked my hotmail account and i have a returned message...."System Administrator....Undeliverable...."

it&#39;s some kind of spam get rich quick thing that has been sent back to me, although i obviously didnt send it in the first place.
i&#39;ve checked the senders address and it&#39;s identical to mine&#39;s so i&#39;m thinking is it just a balls up could someone else be using my details/account ??

i get alot of those to............. "dont wry"............. its "just" spam <_<

4play
09-12-2003, 10:12 PM
this sounds like a spammer is sending a message to a fake adress with your name as the sender.

the message bounces and is sent back to your account.

this is a common trick used by spammers to get passed the new breed of filters.

balamm
09-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Mailandnews.com or shanjemail is very good. Either web based or through outlook or express.

http://mailandnews.com/

monica_green_22
09-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Bodasher@12 September 2003 - 15:43
IMHO Hotmail is utter undiluted cack. You should go with a POP3 account or something more secure. I can&#39;t suggest anything though because I use POP3.
Heheh

POP3 sends passwords out on the network in plaintext, anyone on your network, or an a machine along the way can see it just by sniffing a few packets. Its among the least secure methods of recieving email. Even hotmail is more secure that than, since (at your option) it uses 128-bit SSL encryption. Most people don&#39;t bother to use the secure option.

Monica

pol
09-13-2003, 12:22 AM
cheers everyone, i have a few things to try out

@ balamm, Mailandnews.com is "upgrading its reg. process", so i&#39;ll try again in a day or 2

thanks again peeps :)
pol

MediaSlayer
09-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Heheh

POP3 sends passwords out on the network in plaintext, anyone on your network, or an a machine along the way can see it just by sniffing a few packets. Its among the least secure methods of recieving email. Even hotmail is more secure that than, since (at your option) it uses 128-bit SSL encryption. Most people don&#39;t bother to use the secure option.

Monica

Hotpop, anyone?

Cl1mh4224rd
09-13-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by monica_green_22@13 September 2003 - 01:15

Monica
True, but I&#39;m sure you know that, in the past, there have been much easier ways of hijacking a Hotmail account than it would be to sniff and sort through thousands of packets, just for a stupid password.

Password-wise, sure... Hotmail is probably more secure (except when you let IE remember it ;)), but getting someone&#39;s password isn&#39;t the only of getting into someone&#39;s account.

MediaSlayer
09-13-2003, 08:07 AM
Heheh

Monica

just for the record, i was just namedropping hotpop i wasn&#39;t saying anything against monica i think shes cool

btw:so if when i log in it prompts me for a password that means its not remembering the password(it does remember the login) right?My settings are fairly secure so I hope that&#39;s what&#39;s happening.

sparsely
09-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Yeah, it&#39;s not a virus. Those other people are right. It&#39;s just spammers using your address as the sender to get past
filters. All you can really do about it is let it run it&#39;s course.

monica_green_22
09-13-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd+13 September 2003 - 06:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cl1mh4224rd @ 13 September 2003 - 06:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-monica_green_22@13 September 2003 - 01:15

Monica
True, but I&#39;m sure you know that, in the past, there have been much easier ways of hijacking a Hotmail account than it would be to sniff and sort through thousands of packets, just for a stupid password.

Password-wise, sure... Hotmail is probably more secure (except when you let IE remember it ;)), but getting someone&#39;s password isn&#39;t the only of getting into someone&#39;s account. [/b][/quote]
Wow, hotmail sucks more than I originally thought.

Just for fun, I signed up for another hotmail account (disposable), and tried to break into it. It took me less than 25 minutes&#33;

I last tried just after they introduced the whole MS passport thing, and there were no obvious vulnerabilities. But since then, they have introduced at least 3 vulnerabilities (that I know of) which I was able to exploit and use to break into the account. All I needed to know was the passport email address and the first 8 digits of the check id (which any computer can solve using brute force in a few nanoseconds, only 256 possibilities).

This is harder during peak time since there are more check-ids and the servers are slower, but its still possible.

I will not post the details here of how I did it (to prevent mass account hijacking), but if you want to know, just pm/email me.

I strongly urge anyone using hotmail for anything sensitive/personal or other confidential data to consider other services, such as fastmail.fm or even yahoo mail.

Monica