PDA

View Full Version : [KIMSUFI] Help about Setup/Configurations

cstrik3
01-12-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm going to buy a Kimsufi's dedicated server in a few next days and i need help how to config properly and setup the server.

I will choose Ubuntu Desktop because Windows Server will cost more bla bla bla.. so need help with only the most important configurations.

I toke a look here (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-seedbox-discussion-154/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331) but i'm a little confuse about some commands.

I will only need to install VNC to manage the server in remote desktop throught my windows xp, install Wine to after execute uTorrent 1.8.1 application, and finally install a ftp server to download the uTorrent stuff into my home computer. These things the only i want a lot of help is install a nice ftp server. The others things i think i can install looking for this guide. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-seedbox-discussion-154/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331) ;)

Server Hardware:
Processor - Intel Celeron D/215/220 1.2GHz+
Memory RAM - 1GB
Hard disk - 250 GB

Server Connection and Bandwith:
Connection - 100Mbps
Traffic Unlimited (standart, so not always 100/100)

I think it's enough to run uTorrent and a ftp server that i'll use often. Correct me if i'm wrong..

If you can help me please contact via PM or post here to others users learn something and help them too.. :)

peugeottech
01-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I have that server at the mo and with only standard bandwidth dont expect great speeds for long

teresckova
01-12-2009, 09:56 PM
i have the same server...speeds are good...like 10 mbps easyly..i ve made 5 tb in one month
1.after buying the server you will receive a link with a tutorial how to use a nx client,same as vnc but more configurable...
2.wine....try to look on the oficial wine site...there you have a easy tutorial how to instal wine
3.you dont need a ftp server...just use a usual ftp client and connect to your server
btw...ubuntu desktop is very easy to use...
cheers
hope is usefull

seedplace
01-12-2009, 10:07 PM
First of all
You have to choose ubuntu desktop so everything will be pre configured + user interface

1) Nx client (as teresckova stated)
2) Sftp server (More secure)

And then the only commands you'll have to excecute are those (In order to install wine latest version) :

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install wine

LJ.
01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Why are they asking for a phone number.

teresckova
01-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Why are they asking for a phone number.

to see if you from france,uk,spain,etc.....the only countrys from where you can buy from them....if you re not from this countrys,try a reseller

cstrik3
01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
i have the same server...speeds are good...like 10 mbps easyly..i ve made 5 tb in one month
1.after buying the server you will receive a link with a tutorial how to use a nx client,same as vnc but more configurable...
2.wine....try to look on the oficial wine site...there you have a easy tutorial how to instal wine
3.you dont need a ftp server...just use a usual ftp client and connect to your server
btw...ubuntu desktop is very easy to use...
cheers
hope is usefull

Thanks man for your feedback and help!

Will do that!

First of all
You have to choose ubuntu desktop so everything will be pre configured + user interface

And then the only commands you'll have to excecute are those (In order to install wine latest version) :

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

Thanks but however it's better NX Client or VNC to remote desktop?

I ask that because my friends told me VNC it's better and secure then NX..

Regards

seedplace
01-12-2009, 10:56 PM

Will do that!

First of all

Regards
Nx sessions are encrypted. In vnc you have to do a lot of things in order to enable encryption and ssh which nx has by its own.

cstrik3
01-12-2009, 11:00 PM

Will do that!

Regards
Nx sessions are encrypted. In vnc you have to do a lot of things in order to enable encryption and ssh which nx has by its own.

humm... ok i think i will choose NX.

Thanks for your help,
cstrik3

apextwin146
01-13-2009, 05:04 AM
NX is a resource heavy application too .. FlushBox or VNC is ur best choice going with a lame config like that

meelad
01-13-2009, 07:34 AM
NX is very slow as apextwin146 stated. I had a 2 mbps connection and it still used to lag on it.

teresckova
01-13-2009, 07:48 AM
nx client has encryption by default....and i have a 6 mbps,works just great
i dont know about vnc,i ve just used once

apextwin146
01-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Encryption is over rated dude .. If u need it so much get a better server .. You cant get best of both the worlds .. Kimsufi L performance is very sensitive to the load

seedplace
01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
NX is very slow as apextwin146 stated. I had a 2 mbps connection and it still used to lag on it.
If you are connecting through vista try to go to configure, advanced, and check the box "Disable DirectDraw for screen rendering"

@apextwin: What are you talking about? Encryption is over rated????

cstrik3
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
NX is a resource heavy application too .. FlushBox or VNC is ur best choice going with a lame config like that

If you can teach me how can i install VNC in my server Ubuntu i'll be grateful.

You use the same server i'm going have?

Please some feedback "better NX or VNC to manage uTorrent".

Because i won't use Web UI.. i will use everything by desktop remote.. adding and remove torrents etc..

Thanks

Encryption is over rated dude .. If u need it so much get a better server .. You cant get best of both the worlds .. Kimsufi L performance is very sensitive to the load

I had a friend with Kimsufi L and he could do everything by VNC.. isn't that sensitive like you say..

Unfortunately i lost his contact..

teresckova
01-13-2009, 12:54 PM
why not use webui...is the simple/easyest way to manage your torrents (not creating),why to stay login all the time in the server? i see no reason
vnc is easy to instal...but i still prefer nx

cstrik3
01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
why not use webui...is the simple/easyest way to manage your torrents (not creating),why to stay login all the time in the server? i see no reason
vnc is easy to instal...but i still prefer nx

Like you said to add/manage torrents .. but not creating.. i am an uploader so i must use Create Torrent fuction.

About install VNC it's only this: ?

# yum install vnc-server
Regards

cstrik3
01-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Anyone help me?

So it's better use Ubuntu Desktop or Ubuntu Server and install VNC?

VNC or NX to manage my server* ?

joez
01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
In fact they same
wine + utorrent is no different windows

cstrik3
01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
In fact they same
wine + utorrent is no different windows

I fixed my post.

I meant manage my server*

joez
01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
They are the same as remote desktop access tool

cstrik3
01-18-2009, 08:44 PM
They are the same as remote desktop access tool

I know my question here is about perfomance and non lag coz my server won't have a really nice hardware so i need to choice VNC or NX.. about security i know NX it's better coz have SSH but in perfomance/speed manage is VNC better ? i had a rps and with NX was a f*** slow manage.. and was crash every moment ..

Need some feedback who have VNC and how config it simply. :fst:

joez
01-18-2009, 08:56 PM
nx will be fast ,but not significantly.
the important thing is to install a lightweight desktop like xfce4, limiting the effect of the desktop display, such as color depth, turn off the background, etc.

cstrik3
01-18-2009, 09:04 PM
nx will be fast ,but not significantly.
the important thing is to install a lightweight desktop like xfce4, limiting the effect of the desktop display, such as color depth, turn off the background, etc.

Thanks man for your help.

Anyway i will test VNC to compare both.

One more thing: i will need to create another account because to access as root should not be done for security reasons, right? (heard somewere that! ) :01:

Rilly
01-21-2009, 12:39 AM
One more thing: i will need to create another account because to access as root should not be done for security reasons, right? (heard somewere that! ) :01:

Correct.. use the non-root account to do everything.. and do a 'su' or sudo when needing root access.