PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Half-life 2 Works Way Better On Ati

zhelynd
09-12-2003, 05:58 PM
From Anandtech.com, which is a reliable source for all tech information
check the exact link below

http://www.anandtech.com/video/index.html

nvidia is gonna have to release new drivers of newer games if they wanna stay in biz

CadeLaguana
09-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Yea I read something about that on megagames.com.... pretty shocking...
or is it.... :shifty:

tHe LiNk
09-12-2003, 06:46 PM
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=63707&st=45

I wouldnt say it was breaking news :P

mogadishu
09-12-2003, 06:47 PM
does it really matter?.. i mean will it make that much of a difference, and do any games actually use these 256mb cards to the fullest?

tHe LiNk
09-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Yes it does matter, such a lack in performance for nvidia cards makes ATI look even better in what was pretty much even benchmarks up to this. You are right in saying the 256 mb cards arent used to their fullest, in comparison to the 128 mb cards there is very little performance difference, and generally - games often don't use anything more than even 32mb video card memory. The 128 mb versions of the cards are just as good - and save you alot of cash.

Cl1mh4224rd
09-13-2003, 07:18 AM
I own an ATI, but I don't have anything against nVidia, but... I'd just like to point out that this is just one game. This, is no way, says anything about the nVidia cards in general.

cpt_azad
09-13-2003, 08:08 AM
half life 2 and ati?? i smell something wrong here, i thought ati went with doom3, and since both half life and doom 3 are ground breaking games, wut's up wit ati supporting both? could someone pls make me unconfused, thanx :o

Bodasher
09-13-2003, 08:59 AM
OK, somebody fill me in here.

What is the difference between an nVidia and ATi card?

I know that nVidia do GeForce, but I have never heard of ATI before.

Which one is the best, because I am planning on getting a 64MB one near Crimbo?

Thanx

tHe LiNk
09-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Bodasher@13 September 2003 - 08:59
OK, somebody fill me in here.

What is the difference between an nVidia and ATi card?

I know that nVidia do GeForce, but I have never heard of ATI before.

Which one is the best, because I am planning on getting a 64MB one near Crimbo?

Thanx
ATI make radeon graphics cards, the results of the higher end graphics cards of both sides are almost identical (RADEON 9800 PRO vs GF FX 5900 ULTRA). It's too hard to simply say which is the best, but price wise i'd go with either a geforce fx 5600 ULTRA or a radeon 9600 pro.

half life 2 and ati?? i smell something wrong here, i thought ati went with doom3, and since both half life and doom 3 are ground breaking games, wut's up wit ati supporting both? could someone pls make me unconfused, thanx

ATI doesn't support either any more than nvidia does, either games arent optimised for specific graphics cards. Just in this case - ATI's driver's seem to be giving half life 2 a significant boost, as soon as (well, hopefully when) nvidia releases their new drivers, the benchmarks for nvidia should be boosted to close, if not the same of the radeons.

Pitbul
09-13-2003, 01:20 PM
ur wrong ATI did support Half Life 2 they even sponsered them at this years E3 after there misshap with the Doom 3 demo Carmack was pissed and pretty much told ATI to f*ck off for leaking the Demo.then Carmack called on nVidia to support them and pretty much evident that ATi cards would liekly perform better with HL2 but not as much as 30 FPS so nVidia did also loose and screwed up on there end.but Doom 3 will likely have that signature nVidia stamp on the box with soem exclusive features that on nVidia cards have access to.

tHe LiNk
09-13-2003, 01:31 PM
I was referring to the development of HL2, while ati may of sponsered them at e3, it has no connection to the development of the game. The game was made with both nvidia and ati in mind, its just that ati turned out better due to less efficient software on nvidias side.

Pitbul
09-13-2003, 03:13 PM
simply put nVidia's fault for screweing around with there drivers so much it turn around and bit them in the ass, pretty sad.

Acecool
09-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Ati Kicks ass :-)

abu_has_the_power
09-13-2003, 03:29 PM
ati's can be slightly more expensive than nvidia