PDA

View Full Version : why do people invite others?

Polarbear
01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
inviting people to private bittorrent trackers always comes with a certain risk. depending on the tracker you might get a warning, get disabled or even the whole invite tree may lose their accounts.

why do people take that risk? why does one put the future of his own account into the hand of others?

there are two main factors that motivates people to do or not to do something hence to make a decision. one is avoidance of negative consequences, the other is personal benefit.

you can divide inviters into three main groups:

1. traders

their motivation is really simple to explain. they invite people in exchange for invites or accounts to other sites. this benefit outbalances all negative consequences for them. disabled accounts, hiding from staff, inviting cheaters, getting banned etc. aren't a problem for them. as long as the trade partner delivers the promised good, they really don't care.

2. the public giveaways

people who make public giveaways do it to get recognition and a reputation in invite forums. they consciously break tracker rules as well and don't care much about who they invite either. their benefits are rep points and (from their point of view) a better chance to be considered in their next request for invites or a giveaway they take part in. because of this somehow delayed expected exchange the benefit isn't an instant one. the proportion of negative consequences and benefit is more balanced. that's why they ask for screenshots and other proofs from the strangers they invite.

group one and two have one thing in common. they are both looking for invites to other sites. this leads us two group three. it's hard to find a name for them. let's call them:

3. the ones who have what they need.

this group of bittorrent users have the weakest motivation of them all. they're not looking for invites to other trackers. most are satisfied and often long time members of the best sites. their only benefit is to bring someone who they like and trust to the site. you might call it a favour without something in return. the risk they are willing to take is much higher than their personal benefit. that's why they'd never invite strangers or people they don't know and trust. invites are given in private and as a gift without any need for publicity. they'd rather keep their invites forever than risk their accounts with a bad invitee. the possible negative consquences clearly overrule the personal benefits. that's why they hardly invite people (anymore).

of course this is stereotyped thinking. we're all individuals. the boundaries are blurred. i just explained the main motivations to invite people from my point of view based on the observation i made over the years.

vic
01-14-2009, 11:46 AM
it was nice reading though i discovered nothing new .

meelad
01-14-2009, 11:53 AM
I disagree with number 2. Those who do public giveaways are not always looking for rep points or invites to more sites. Many people giveaway in the spirit of sharing.

RD22S
01-14-2009, 11:54 AM
i see myself as point 3 you made.

I've received 3 invites from giveaways on a trackers power user & elite forum, all have good ratios and used daily.

I've given 2 invites away (GA) at the same place and the two i have invited still haven't used their account.

Result: i'm not inviting anyone i don't know on my better trackers

CaptanAmerica
01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
i do invite ppl and most of the time its the ppl that i dont know good or even dont know at all. i invite em i belive first of all cuz i dont take all that "private" tracker too close to my heart and the second one if i can make some1 more happy id like to do it

but also theres a bad aspect - for example ive invited 6 ppl for very good tracker in my country. all of em sweared to me that they will use tracker once a week at least. but what i saw? only 2 of em have a very good ratio and the most bad thing is only 1 of em use it very well like he promised. thats it

IdolEyes787
01-14-2009, 12:31 PM
i do invite ppl and most of the time its the ppl that i dont know good or even dont know at all. i invite em i belive first of all cuz i dont take all that "private" tracker too close to my heart and the second one if i can make some1 more happy id like to do it

Captain how seriously do have to take something to obey a couple simple rules?

Although I agree that the desire to "help" people can be a highly motivating factor.Especially if someone did the same for you in the past.

Of course some people will just not understand the validity of that statement.

CaptanAmerica
01-14-2009, 12:40 PM

Captain how seriously do have to take something to obey a couple simple rules?

Although I agree that the desire to "help" people can be a highly motivating factor.Especially if someone did the same for you in the past.

Of course some people will just not understand the validity of that statement.

i ddnt get about witch simply rules u r talking xacly. i thought i do it from the start of my torrenting carier. if i ddnt do here many giveaways it dsnt mean that i ddnt do if at all. also i wont be good for every place where i am a member. some1 ofc will disagree but so im. dont see any good point to be an example for imitation, but more important i will not against the fact that im captan america here and im XXX there if somebody will find this out

Villalltheway
01-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I disagree with number 2. Those who do public giveaways are not always looking for rep points or invites to more sites. Many people giveaway in the spirit of sharing.

agreed, im sure not everyone does it for rep points, they do because they want to share, not sure if i am wrong but isnt this the fundamental part of bittorrenting.

Artemis
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
i ddnt get about witch simply rules u r talking xacly. i thought i do it from the start of my torrenting carier. if i ddnt do here many giveaways it dsnt mean that i ddnt do if at all. also i wont be good for every place where i am a member. some1 ofc will disagree but so im. dont see any good point to be an example for imitation, but more important i will not against the fact that im captan america here and im XXX there if somebody will find this out

My head actually aches trying to decipher that :frusty: Look I get it, English isn't your first language, but that isn't even remotely close to an english sentence structure.

Magnum
01-14-2009, 12:55 PM
inviting people to private bittorrent trackers always comes with a certain risk. depending on the tracker you might get a warning, get disabled or even the whole invite tree may lose their accounts.

why do people take that risk? why does one put the future of his own account into the hand of others?

there are two main factors that motivates people to do or not to do something hence to make a decision. one is avoidance of negative consequences, the other is personal benefit.

2. the public giveaways

people who make public giveaways do it to get recognition and a reputation in invite forums. they consciously break tracker rules as well and don't care much about who they invite either. their benefits are rep points and (from their point of view) a better chance to be considered in their next request for invites or a giveaway they take part in. because of this somehow delayed expected exchange the benefit isn't an instant one. the proportion of negative consequences and benefit is more balanced. that's why they ask for screenshots and other proofs from the strangers they invite.

group one and two have one thing in common. they are both looking for invites to other sites. this leads us two group three. it's hard to find a name for them. let's call them:

3. the ones who have what they need.

this group of bittorrent users have the weakest motivation of them all. they're not looking for invites to other trackers. most are satisfied and often long time members of the best sites. their only benefit is to bring someone who they like and trust to the site. you might call it a favour without something in return. the risk they are willing to take is much higher than their personal benefit. that's why they'd never invite strangers or people they don't know and trust. invites are given in private and as a gift without any need for publicity. they'd rather keep their invites forever than risk their accounts with a bad invitee. the possible negative consquences clearly overrule the personal benefits. that's why they hardly invite people (anymore).

of course this is stereotyped thinking. we're all individuals. the boundaries are blurred. i just explained the main motivations to invite people from my point of view based on the observation i made over the years.

In the most part is as polarbear say. What i refer to ? I have many giveaways but not for the rep points but to help others. Wierd is that my giveaways never helped me in the moment when i was requesting something because the staff of many trackers see what we are doing here and on some trackers, the giveaways are forbidden. I wan to give a warning tot the amateurs that at some time they will have problems because of the giveaways. Unfortunately i`ve opened my eyes a little too late , and so i will never many other giveaways. You be the judge.

stoi
01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
so you got your 100 rep points, and now you quit, nice thinking.

and if you did not give a shit about rep points, you would hide them.

Magnum
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Done!;)

Artemis
01-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Although your groups are largely correct, you are missing a very important one PB, the fourth group is roughly similar to those who do are veterans, but are simply magnanimous and want to invite others in private to trackers or forums simply because they think the other user will be an asset to the community of the tracker/forum. These users give in private, they may not have the top of the WTAW list trackers, but they are looking for people to be members of trackers/forums that they enjoy.
The difference with this group is that they are not looking for rep points from the start, they are looking for like minded people to join the communities that they enjoy, and so instead of doing public giveaways, they get to know their prospective invitee. The difference though between this group and your veteran torrenters is that they are not jaded and untrusting, but simply more private people who wish to invite others without fanfare.

Night0wl
01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I do it to bring in new blood, expand on content and activity. I never do public ones unless staff approved and also I tend to not "recruit" from similar content trackers.

Also I don't always feel that I with my low upspeed am a good user, so to compensate I bring in people who I feel bring something to the tracker.

And third I believe that if everyone just brings in people they have known forever, the trackers will wither up and die a slow death.

But I guess you knew that already.

CaptanAmerica
01-14-2009, 01:52 PM

My head actually aches trying to decipher that :frusty: Look I get it, English isn't your first language, but that isn't even remotely close to an english sentence structure.

:blink:

english isnt native tongue here for many members. whats the point to u to finger for it?

Rafa
01-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Although your groups are largely correct, you are missing a very important one PB, the fourth group is roughly similar to those who do are veterans, but are simply magnanimous and want to invite others in private to trackers or forums simply because they think the other user will be an asset to the community of the tracker/forum. These users give in private, they may not have the top of the WTAW list trackers, but they are looking for people to be members of trackers/forums that they enjoy.
The difference with this group is that they are not looking for rep points from the start, they are looking for like minded people to join the communities that they enjoy, and so instead of doing public giveaways, they get to know their prospective invitee. The difference though between this group and your veteran torrenters is that they are not jaded and untrusting, but simply more private people who wish to invite others without fanfare.

:yup: well said

I fit well in this group. And if somebody had not done the same for me in the past, I would not be here today

Rigel9
01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
english isnt native tongue here for many members. whats the point to u to finger for it?

I guess he likes fingering :naughty:

stoi
01-14-2009, 02:26 PM
This is my take on this before my ISP cuts me off for not paying the bill, who says tracker owners make a fortune eh lol, so i may not be able to reply for a few days.

The general feeling i get is this.

Most give away on public forums, but they would never even dream of going back to a tracker, that lets in noobs (open sign up) and getting a decent member from their instead. actually some go 1 step further, and as soon as they get a "Higher lvl site" does not have to be a better site, they give their lvl 1 and 2 sites up and just forget all about them.

This to me should be where you get your invitees from, if everyone just invites the same members into every tracker, then eventually every tracker will die.

I would even go far as to say that, smaller trackers, and even big specialized trackers could be a thing of the past, and we will be left with just the big general trackers, even new general trackers that want to be big, are finding it hard to attract decent members.

It is very easy to get 5,000- even 100,000 members onto a tracker, the big problem is, most of those and i would go so far as to say 90% either.

A: have other trackers, so if you do not have anything different (which lets be honest, is getting harder to do) they do not take part, they sign up but do not seed or leech or anything.

B: Are noobs, who are used to getting on a torrent, limiting their upload, getting it as fast as possible, then as soon as it finishes, leave it, then if they get banned, they just sign up again and repeat.

C: those that are just lazy bastards and cheat as soon as they jump on the 1st torrent.

It is very hard to get decent members these days, that are unique to your tracker, but opening up does not work, invites do to an extent but then you get trading and selling of them.

It is just 1 big viscous circle as far as I can see, and i have no idea on how to remedy it, because most members do not give a shit about the tracker they are on, as long as they can get what they want. most are just so Me Me Me and fuck everyone else.

Even ratio is a double edged sword, its supposed to be there to weed out the bad, but it also makes the good stop downloading in case they get demoted or just get a lower ratio, and ratio free trackers may work with smaller member base, but i think you will find that if a big tracker, that likes to be a library of torrents (not just 0day) things will die off very bloody quick if they went ratio free.

anyway, what to do about it, fuck knows, but public invite sites, and trading selling, do not help trackers bring in good members, which is after all, all we bloody want at the end of the day.

Polarbear
01-14-2009, 02:42 PM
The difference though between this group and your veteran torrenters is that they are not jaded and untrusting, but simply more private people who wish to invite others without fanfare.

invites are given in private and as a gift without any need for publicity.

i think those would pretty much fit in group three. i can't see a contradiciton here. their personal benefit is low compared to the risk they take.

it's not about putting people into groups by the way. it's about the three major kinds of motivations. motivation is always diverse and personal. not every aspect can be considered. the motivation i described in group three can be valid for anyone, not just veterans.

when you invite people you know, like and trust, it naturally includes the wish that they'll be an asset to the site. you wouldn't invite someone who doesn't listen to music to a music tracker just because you know and trust him.

jasperr
01-14-2009, 02:55 PM
This is my take on this before my ISP cuts me off for not paying the bill, who says tracker owners make a fortune eh lol, so i may not be able to reply for a few days.

The general feeling i get is this.

Most give away on public forums, but they would never even dream of going back to a tracker, that lets in noobs (open sign up) and getting a decent member from their instead. actually some go 1 step further, and as soon as they get a "Higher lvl site" does not have to be a better site, they give their lvl 1 and 2 sites up and just forget all about them.

This to me should be where you get your invitees from, if everyone just invites the same members into every tracker, then eventually every tracker will die.

I would even go far as to say that, smaller trackers, and even big specialized trackers could be a thing of the past, and we will be left with just the big general trackers, even new general trackers that want to be big, are finding it hard to attract decent members.

It is very easy to get 5,000- even 100,000 members onto a tracker, the big problem is, most of those and i would go so far as to say 90% either.

A: have other trackers, so if you do not have anything different (which lets be honest, is getting harder to do) they do not take part, they sign up but do not seed or leech or anything.

B: Are noobs, who are used to getting on a torrent, limiting their upload, getting it as fast as possible, then as soon as it finishes, leave it, then if they get banned, they just sign up again and repeat.

C: those that are just lazy bastards and cheat as soon as they jump on the 1st torrent.

It is very hard to get decent members these days, that are unique to your tracker, but opening up does not work, invites do to an extent but then you get trading and selling of them.

It is just 1 big viscous circle as far as I can see, and i have no idea on how to remedy it, because most members do not give a shit about the tracker they are on, as long as they can get what they want. most are just so Me Me Me and fuck everyone else.

Even ratio is a double edged sword, its supposed to be there to weed out the bad, but it also makes the good stop downloading in case they get demoted or just get a lower ratio, and ratio free trackers may work with smaller member base, but i think you will find that if a big tracker, that likes to be a library of torrents (not just 0day) things will die off very bloody quick if they went ratio free.

anyway, what to do about it, fuck knows, but public invite sites, and trading selling, do not help trackers bring in good members, which is after all, all we bloody want at the end of the day.

Well said Stoi....

i can't agree with you more m8, everything you have said in this post is 100% true and to chase.. it is hard finding good members these days because there's too much.. To many trackers, invite forums, trade forums and too many users are getting spoiled by not having to do anything to get on a tracker.. On top of that, that want it all for free! :frusty:

no need for smart ass comments on my last line... if you don't understand what i mean... then it was meant for you!

puckface
01-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Just for info. Some of us don't really care about rep points but do believe in full disclosure.

integral
01-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Just for info. Some of us don't really care about rep points but do believe in full disclosure.

Agreed. If someone fully didn't give a shit about rep points, they would show them, instead of going out of their way to hide them.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 03:06 PM
If I was ever tempted to share my precious invites with anyone here, then the way I would look at it would be the more rep point someone has the less chance they would have of me giving them then invite, if you've got rep points here then you either trade accounts / invites or habitually giveaway accounts / invites in public / private which makes you more of a risk to my account.

Do people seriously consider rep points as a positive thing here when looking for someone to bring into the fold ?

Surely not :s

puckface
01-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Agreed. If someone fully didn't give a shit about rep points, they would show them, instead of going out of their way to hide them.

I don't think there should even be an option to hide them... I wonder how many of these holier than thou users around here hide theirs for reasons of covering things up?

Polarbear
01-14-2009, 03:09 PM

I don't think there should even be an option to hide them... I wonder how many of these holier than thou users around here hide theirs for reasons of covering things up?
i've got 100+ rep points full of successful trades. that's why i hide them. :pinch:

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info, presumably they can be viewed by looking closer at the users profile whether they are hidden on your forum AV or not ?

stoi
01-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Well last time i checked i had 26, then i hovered over someones tick and the pop up text says.

Add a Trading Rep point to name

well that just done it for me, I hid mine straight away.

I got all of mine for just being who i am and doing good posts (according to the people that give me a rep point anyway) but as rep points are not meant for that, but for Trading shit, I hid them.

the point is, rep points are for trading and giveaways, they are not meant to be for good posts and being a good member of here, so fuck that, i do not show them anymore.

Disme
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't need to cover anything up and still I disabled it, because I don't care about it.
I am never guided or influenced by rep-points when handing out an invite in private to someone I want to invite to one of my trackers.

puckface
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the info, presumably they can be viewed by looking closer at the users profile whether they are hidden on your forum AV or not ?

You would think so. But youd be wrong.

Well last time i checked i had 26, then i hovered over someones tick and the pop up text says.

Add a Trading Rep point to name

well that just done it for me, I hid mine straight away.

I got all of mine for just being who i am and doing good posts (according to the people that give me a rep point anyway) but as rep points are not meant for that, but for Trading shit, I hid them.

the point is, rep points are for trading and giveaways, they are not meant to be for good posts and being a good member of here, so fuck that, i do not show them anymore.

Yeah they have changed it since I have joined, it was never for a specific purpose back then, it was rep, for helping out, or giving away or trading or just being a good user, now I guess its called "trading rep" or some shit

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 03:15 PM

You would think so. But youd be wrong.

Scandalous !

My last suggestion to improve the forums by sorting out the reviews section went down like a lead balloon so here's another one, delete the trade forums, surely that would get rid of many bit-tards who are completely missing the point of filesharing grrrr

puckface
01-14-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't need to cover anything up and still I disabled it, because I don't care about it.
I am never guided or influenced by rep-points when handing out an invite in private to someone I want to invite to one of my trackers.

Wasnt pointing you out at all, but Im sure you knew that. :)

But a rhetorical question, if you looked at my rep points, would you invite me anywhere?

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 03:20 PM

But a rhetorical question, if you looked at my rep points, would you invite me anywhere?

You seem like a decent guy and don't take this personally which I'm sure you won't but in a word, no :)

jasperr
01-14-2009, 03:22 PM

You seem like a decent guy and don't take this personally which I'm sure you won't but in a word, no :)

at least your honest..... and that goes a hell of a lot farther than any rep point could ever go..

Magnum
01-14-2009, 05:57 PM
With points or not, obtained by trade or other ways i don`t think that is irrelevant that those ponts to reflect one person character. NO ONE can change your character. If i`m wrong with something. please correct me guys.

IdolEyes787
01-14-2009, 06:22 PM

If you looked beyond his rep points and realized that lack of experience might be a mitigating factor or the simple fact that like with trading the prevailing climate between when he acquired them and now has changed.
Would you?

Or are those type of scarlet letters indelible .

mamacita
01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Even if BT rep didn't have anything to do with trading, it still points to people who disobey many trackers' wishes by doing public giveaways here.

If someone has well over 30+ rep, and have been here since the time when rep did NOT have a trading connotation, then they most likely did a LOT of giveaways.

there's nothing wrong with being generous, but being so public about it is something else entirely.

I think that is why Time Traveler still wouldn't invite someone like that.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
If you looked beyond his rep points and realized that lack of experience might be a mitigating factor or the simple fact that like with trading the prevailing climate between when he acquired them and now has changed.
Would you?

That was quite deep lol

Yeah now that I'm aware that rep points used to be given for being helpful and not just trading / giveaways I would look beyond that as I said he seems like a decent guy.

Cabalo
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
i invite people i like, and that i don't "sniff" that are here only for invites. Let's just say it's not easy to like everybody around here. :whistling
sometimes i feel like i have a duty of recruiting someone to certain trackers, as i know it would make them really happy, and i even do a effort on that site to get to the invites so i can surprise him and invite him.
happened to me on thevault and revTT at least.

IdolEyes787
01-14-2009, 06:39 PM
His is but he's Canadian and it's the law.

Would you?

That was quite deep lol

Or total shite .Depends on have much you've had to drink really.

puckface
01-14-2009, 07:09 PM

No way, I don't take offense in any way. It actually proves my point sort of. You have seen my history and the such and thats fine. I get branded as a trader and thats also fine.

But, if you knew who I was on the trackers you would know that I am as good as a member as I can be on all of them, as well as active on all the forums (not just here), these are all trackers, "low level" to "high level". Also, I know for a fact that I have talked to many of you on various IRC channels and we have gotten along swimmingly. Some of us not so much, which may translate to here at times :)

Basically, the point is that just because of someones history you cant judge them on the type of member they will be.

His is but he's Canadian and it's the law.

That was quite deep lol

Or total shite .Depends on have much you've had to drink really.

or the quantity of drugs for the day.

dragoi92
01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Collecting

Magnum
01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Collecting
:frusty::frusty::frusty::blink::blink::blink:

dragoi92
01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Some member here doesnt use account
they just want to collect and i dont know the reasonw why people collect

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 07:27 PM

No way, I don't take offense in any way. It actually proves my point sort of. You have seen my history and the such and thats fine. I get branded as a trader and thats also fine.

But, if you knew who I was on the trackers you would know that I am as good as a member as I can be on all of them, as well as active on all the forums (not just here), these are all trackers, "low level" to "high level". Also, I know for a fact that I have talked to many of you on various IRC channels and we have gotten along swimmingly. Some of us not so much, which may translate to here at times :)

Basically, the point is that just because of someones history you cant judge them on the type of member they will be.

Good point well made...

nsk
01-14-2009, 07:44 PM
2. the public giveaways

Personally I've done a few, nothing special, but basically just to try and give back a little for what I've gained from here, nothing more.

Haven't done one for a while now though as I prefer just to do it in private if someone makes a good enough request.

Artemis
01-14-2009, 08:22 PM

I do agree with you but there is of course a 'but'. The but is that the only real measure we have of each other in this virtual world is post/irc history and so looking back into someone's history is an important way to understand the user, and even the change in his attitudes over the time he has been part of the community, some start out helpful and friendly and become 'tracker whores' to get what they want then turn into arrogant assholes while others learn the error of their ways and change for the better, so post history is an important part of getting to know someone.
As IdolEyes said there shouldn't be an indelible scarlet letter and there are ex-traders I get on with and have a laugh, in fact I have even seen you around :cool:
You can break trading down into the category that trade invites to get the trackers they are after, and then they are happy, it just speeds the process up of getting into trackers.
There are some transgressions though that should not be forgiven, and there are some people that are destructive to the community. There are those who trade time and time again for the hell of it, the stockbrokers of the trading world who use the WTAW thread as currency and have absolutely zero respect or care for the tracker a/c's they are passing around like pokemon cards. These people are not to be trusted, and they are as bad as (and many times are) the same people that scam others or sell invites.
In the end like you puckface I think instead of branding someone with a label they should be taken on an individual case by case basis, but it is a persons history within the bt community which is the one true thing that they can be measured by.

KushBlow
01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Because sharing is caring? I guess. Or because they want to feel superior.

Adam1990
01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I belong to the third group. I enjoy bringing others to the sites that I am priveleged enough to have. I don't see it as much of a risk to me because I only invite people that I am 99.9% sure won't fuck me over. I invite people that either I know, or people that have done well for me if I invited them to a lower level site. I like bringing new people into the torrent world most of all, people that have no idea what WTAW is, etc.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 09:14 PM

Just re-read this bit a and some of the subsequent posts by others leading off from this and I think maybe some clarification is needed.

I never checked into your post history or your rep point history or anything like that I only answered your rhetorical question based purely on the number of rep points you had and at the time of posting I was under the false impression that rep points here were public giveaway / trader points :)

Polarbear
01-14-2009, 09:18 PM
...I was under the false impression that rep points here were public giveaway / trader points :)

and that's exactly what they are.

puckface
01-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Just re-read this bit a and some of the subsequent posts by others leading off from this and I think maybe some clarification is needed.

I never checked into your post history or your rep point history or anything like that I only answered your rhetorical question based purely on the number of rep points you had and at the time of posting I was under the false impression that rep points here were public giveaway / trader points :)

most of them are, also I have gotten rep points for being helpful (believe it or not).. but probably 80% are from giveaways/trades... mostly giveaways (which are evil)

But as I said before, I have no reason to hide that, I believe in full disclosure.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 09:32 PM

most of them are, also I have gotten rep points for being helpful (believe it or not).. but probably 80% are from giveaways/trades... mostly giveaways (which are evil)

But as I said before, I have no reason to hide that, I believe in full disclosure.

That's a good attitude and your right in what your saying about giveaways I reckon a lot of them just end straight back in the hands of traders anyway.

puckface
01-14-2009, 09:34 PM

That's a good attitude and your right in what your saying about giveaways I reckon a lot of them just end straight back in the hands of traders anyway.

haha, the giveaway comment was sort of sarcasm, but thanks

Funkin'
01-15-2009, 01:02 AM

Get used to it. He usually enjoys making topics about subjects we all already know about.

puckface
01-15-2009, 01:07 AM

Get used to it. He usually enjoys making topics about subjects we all already know about.

or making posts that he can have you banned anywhere he wants.

PlayeR
01-15-2009, 01:39 AM
i just wanna point out this sentence

and don't care much about who they invite either. their benefits are rep points

group 2 is not entirely true. some users just do GA. never want something in return and they dont just hand out invites. at least they check the applicants' history, or other members also help and give info abut the invitees. yes, they would invite strangers (hey it's internet, almost everyone is stranger) but at least they trust them and make sure their invitee would use the account.

but if you are here long enough, you would go to group 3..you will stop doing public GA and only give invites in private to whom you like and trust..

Brenya
01-15-2009, 03:07 AM
group 2 is not entirely true. some users just do GA. never want something in return and they dont just hand out invites.
Yeah, I think Polarbear exaggerated the risk and downplayed the degree of trust people have for other members who have access to that section.

I think many people give away for delayed compensation, but that isn't anything to deride; because that incentive isn't exclusive and may not even be primary, as someone pointed out on the first page:

But for traders that is the exclusive motivation... material compensation (money, other invites, rapidshare premium account...).

And when that isn't even a motivation, people fall into his category three.

So maybe Polarbear needs to split up category two into two categories: one for those whose delayed compensation is primary... and those whose delayed compensation is secondary.

johall
01-15-2009, 03:53 AM
why is so much emphasis put on rep points whether it be bad or good i mean that would be the last thing i looked at cause you could potentially have many rep points here for GOOD reasons (idk can you even get them for good posts etc.) and still be the biggest shithead on the planet earth and vice versa so i dont really get why those would be relevant in any way period

and to the one about number 2 with good intentions well honestly good intentions or not you could very well be giving invites to the person that could in time ruin that tracker for everyone else...id much rather your good intentions be put to helping out in other ways like maybe finding ONE true good soul to invite who it really helped instead of 5 fools who may or may not be in need and or a positive factor to the site...your good intentions could be hurting the site as much as helping it

oh and i briefly BRIEFLY read over the thread so sorry if its been said/discussed

cinephilia
01-15-2009, 05:10 AM
I invite people when i feel they're sincere and really want to get in a tracker for a valuable reason. Honnestly, i prefer inviting "noobs" and educate them to torrenting (as long as they're interested in the tracker's content) than inviting one of those known users we see on every bt-related forums. Last year, i've invited a guy who knew absolutely nothing about torrenting but he was very interested in a specialized tracker i was member of. So i taught him step by step how to maintain a ratio, how to use and configure his client, how to rip, how to upload, how to reseed etc... well, it took me many time but i can tell you that it was worth it: after a year of membership, he uploaded more than 1TB and downloaded ~800GB ! well, it's his only tracker but he do not own a seedbox and have a regular connection. All that to say that it's this kind of user who makes me happy to invite people who have a real desire to get a tracker for the content, apart from its rarity or design etc...

ps: lol, many members have hidden their bt rep after this thread...

1000possibleclaws
01-15-2009, 05:24 AM
i just wanna point out this sentence

and don't care much about who they invite either. their benefits are rep points

group 2 is not entirely true. some users just do GA. never want something in return and they dont just hand out invites. at least they check the applicants' history, or other members also help and give info abut the invitees. yes, they would invite strangers (hey it's internet, almost everyone is stranger) but at least they trust them and make sure their invitee would use the account.

but if you are here long enough, you would go to group 3..you will stop doing public GA and only give invites in private to whom you like and trust..

Yeah, there is also the group that hates having unused invites, and is always looking for people to pass them onto when they get them.

apextwin146
01-15-2009, 07:04 AM

1. traders

their motivation is really simple to explain. they invite people in exchange for invites or accounts to other sites. this benefit outbalances all negative consequences for them. disabled accounts, hiding from staff, inviting cheaters, getting banned etc. aren't a problem for them. as long as the trade partner delivers the promised good, they really don't care.

2. the public giveaways

group one and two have one thing in common. they are both looking for invites to other sites.
Damn the trading option then really does look better than the Public giveaways option ..
Both the groups put thier accounts into danger when they trade/giveaway .. The diff is that the trader is trading invites to sites where most probably he has no interest in to get into a site he has interest in .. Atleast hes getting something usefull in return .. Whereas the Giveaway guy is just getting some reputation which is again frowned upon here .. So infact its hurting his chances to get into the tracker for which hes doing the giveaways .. So its a now in situation for those ppl who do public giveaways in the any scenario .. Take the Example of Magnum here .. He is by far the most generous guy till date i have seen in this Forum .. He this work out for him?
So now when a new BT user comes to FST what will he do? Trade or help the Forum by public giveaways? Think abt it ..

Stranger99
01-15-2009, 07:31 AM
For pussy maybe :?

The Wanderer
01-15-2009, 08:50 AM

Knowing you/your giveaways from another forum (too bad you don't come there anymore), I'd say I'd invite you to any tracker, anytime. But you probably have them all by now. ;)

When I'm inviting someone to a tracker I try to know that person better, judging from his posting history, how well they speak english and how they formulate their posts. I don't like beggers who made requests for every imaginable tracker. I encourage people to go for a tracker they really want and wait patiently for it, meanwhile contributing to the community by being helpful and considerate to other members. I don't like people who judge others for their ways (see anti-traders vs traders).

With very few exceptions I'd say I contributed with good members to all the trackers I am member of.

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Wanderer, I'm sure you know there are lots of members from non-English origins.

But what I find funny is that they always use that to "cover" their poor English they wrote in a second or two and I think that it's absurd, if I wasn't much of an English speaker I would keep trying and brush it up.

I was also told by a certain senior member that doing giveaways will actually bring me down so I decided not to do any already even though I only give invites to those who deserves it.

From the majority of the tracker's staffs they highly discourage public giveaways.

But they should have thought that some of their members who've got invites had not any computer savvy friends to give to?

The Wanderer
01-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Wanderer, I'm sure you know there are lots of members from non-English origins.

I know that - I'm also one of them, but I assure you speaking (or trying to speak) a correct english will take you far and you'll make a good impression. Not to mention it will be easy to plead your case in front of a staff member in case of trouble with your account or getting an invite.

From the majority of the tracker's staffs they highly discourage public giveaways.

That's true, but there are exceptions, too. There were a lot of staff's giveaways made here at FST. While I was member here at FST, I saw giveaways from.

FTN - brandon is legendary for his giveaways here
SCT - feeling himself gave away invites to SCT here
FSC - sear had a recruitment topic not so long ago
BCG - stoi is a regular here and one of the most respected members
PTN - had 2 recruitment topics

and so on.

Also keeping an eye on the open signups topic is highly recommended (bitmetv had last year open signups). Just be patient and good things will come to you. :)

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I know that - I'm also one of them, but I assure you speaking (or trying to speak) a correct english will take you far and you'll make a good impression. Not to mention it will be easy to plead your case in front of a staff member in case of trouble with your account or getting an invite.

Well, I always construct my post carefully if I want to speak my thoughts since a 3rd person's point of view is rather important when discussing important stuffs.

Maybe such as whether a function should be implanted onto the tracker itself or not.

I once got banned on BitMeTV for inactivity as I was away for quite some time and had no internet access, I pleaded and asked nicely but they just ignored me.

But now I'm in again due to help of a good friend I guess? :)
Doing great, PU there.

That's true, but there are exceptions, too. There were a lot of staff's giveaways made here at FST. While I was member here at FST, I saw giveaways from.

and so on.

Also keeping an eye on the open signups topic is highly recommended (bitmetv had last year open signups). Just be patient and good things will come to you. :)

I've personally never seen Brandon doing that though, would like to be in FTN but I don't think I'll ever get in.

I'm sure the ScT GA by feeling must have been ages ago, they're quite tyrannical in certain aspects TBH. I might be wrong though.

I really respect stoi and I'm a S-PU there, always see him on the forums talking about how drunk he is or such. :lol:

Albo Da Kid
01-15-2009, 01:33 PM
It was interesting reading up on each ones thoughts towards the subject.

I think most users in fst give out invites to build up their rep. It's a beginner's instinct. I myself remember my beginning days in fst.
When I saw users with a high BT rep, my first thought was that these were the only users approached by the tracker's staff for invites, because they gave away a lot of invites and they deserved something in return.
What i didn't know is that tracker's hate public giveaways and the damage it costs. I think it's safe to say that giving invites to random users can hurt a tracker in many ways.
My first reaction after seeing what was going on, was to make some giveaways as soon as possible. I wanted to get with the top dogs, and i remember thinking"Damn this is going to take a long time".
I'm glad the BT rep is frowned upon now, hence it gives beginners a chance to get what they are looking for, and it makes it a whole lot easier.(BT rep is bad after all)
The only thing I would like for us to improve as a community is our guiding skills. I see a lot of new members coming here, and resorting to the trade section because they don't have a chance in the GA section.
We each need to help out in pulling them out of the wrong path. And that is by............flaming the shite out of them. :lol: lol jk jk. We need to show them that getting what they want isn't as hard as they think it is. I guarantee you that by giving them a few tips, can change someone's whole perspective and point of view of the torrenting world. A decent user changed mines at least.

This is just my two cents so don't call me a hypocrite, spammer etc... Last time i tried to reach out, I got flammed with a half page hate post by a mad Bollywood movie watching schizophrenic:lol:

wiseD
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
True giveaways are when people know the person for a while, and then pass them an invite without displaying it all over a forum.

mamacita
01-15-2009, 09:27 PM
True giveaways are when people know the person for a while, and then pass them an invite without displaying it all over a forum.

To an extent I would totally agree with you wiseD. But there are also those people out there who don't interact all that much with others and yet still would like to give out their invites.

I'm a huge proponent of the community side of torrent sites, but I do also understand there are those who would prefer not to make e-friends and all that crazy crap. FST provides an easy "one stop" place to share their invites.

But you're right, the preferred situation is when friends invite friends to ensure the quality of the new members that enter a site.

Stranger99
01-15-2009, 09:38 PM

and so on.

Feeling giving invites here:O
Might be his paypal got full:lol:

rinko
01-16-2009, 12:34 AM
people invite others because others ask for it? lol

puckface
01-16-2009, 03:20 AM

Knowing you/your giveaways from another forum (too bad you don't come there anymore)

I got banned for differences of opinion :)