PDA

View Full Version : How would "You" get good members

stoi
01-14-2009, 03:45 PM
There have been a few posts on here about Invites and traders etc etc, so this is your chance to put the world to rights on this.

Put yourself in the position of a tracker owner/staffer that spends most of his/her day checking on members, for cheaters etc.

Now also take into consideration the following.

1: Giveaways

People that do giveawys on public forums, very well might be bringing in a member that the tracker banned 6 months before, you also have no clue who they are, and even ratios and profiles on other sites, can be misleading.

2: Trades

Same as above, they are not doing it for the good of the site, but because they want something in return.

3: Selling

I think everyone agrees this is wrong

4: Cheaters

get lots of cheaters coming in.

5: Hit and Runners

gets lots of hit and runners

6: opening up

See all points above but also dupe accounts, sign up hit and run, get banned, change IP sign up again, rinse and repeat over and over again.

7: Security.

most trackers want security for themselves and for their members, like our members getting letters from their ISP is best avoided at all costs, Security is not just about security of the staff ans the owners.

Remember this is not about just getting as many members as possible, this is about getting 99% good members into the tracker, but lots of them (if that is even possible lol)

So just for 10 minutes, put yourself into a tracker staffers shoes, even the hardcore traders and cheaters, and lets hear some answers, this is just for curiosity purposes, but you may come up with some ideas no tracker staffer has ever come up with.

And staying closed for eternity is not an answer, this is about getting members, but bloody good ones.

at the end of the day, all tracker staff want are good decent members, is that to much to ask in this day and age.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Whatever method you (as a site) adopt to recruit new members it's going to be difficult to assure that the applicant is what they say they are cause lets face fact it's easy to bullshit someone when your not face to face with them.

If it was me I would go for a detailed application form designed to discover a persons attitude on various things (sort of like psychological profiling) if this first test was passed it would be followed by a 1 month trial after which time their account would be reviewed, this would lead to either full membership or an IP ban :)

I think it's even more difficult to select who among your existing userbase should be entitled to bring others to your site. Lets say even if you take the top 10% of your best users and give them invite privileges as you are aware accounts get traded like candy all over the interweb and your back to square 1 again.

I just can't see a foolproof way of implementing this to give you the "good users" every site wants, possibly some kind of "recommend a friend" strategy where both your account and your friends application is scrutinised closely (time consuming I know) which would then lead back into a situation described at the start of post.

Tough nut to crack me thinks :)

stoi
01-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Well remember, some (I am not saying all) higher class members, are just pricks with a seedbox.

so even that does not work.

Tinfish
01-14-2009, 04:17 PM
i would like to know the answers myself.
open signups, get 1000 mutes, 500 collectors, 40 who show potential, 400 cheats.

This torrenting stuff is not really rocket science.

when ppl take theyre time an prove theyre worth they can get an invite anywhere, by simply asking.
the ones that sign up, cheat theyre ratio to 4 EB, or trade there way in, whats the rush ?

we all started somewhere. leech, seed, chat be active, good things happen, why the big rush to be on "0-daysitex3644" from the outset ?

Just curious myself, so im only asking.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Well remember, some (I am not saying all) higher class members, are just pricks with a seedbox.

so even that does not work.

Yeah absolutely mate meant to throw the the whole seedbox thing in there, it's easy to sit in front of your box's gui for a couple of weeks to hit mega-user or whatever, I wouldn't use this as your benchmark to evaluate your userbase as it's destined to fail.

I'd go for maybe number of torrents upladed, contribution to the community (helpfulness in forums, financial donation etc) length of membership & total seed time instead of GB's uploaded. Once all this had been taken into consideration then you would be in a position to decide whether or not this user should be allowed to recommend a friend.

Also I wouldn't advertise publicly what the requirements are to start the process of bringing friends to the site and just say each case will be considered on it's own merit. Now obviously this is quite difficult to implement into an automated system if you take all the above factors into consideration but I think they key to it may be "the personal touch" obviously with a large site like your own this is going to be even more time consuming

jasperr
01-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Whatever method you (as a site) adopt to recruit new members it's going to be difficult to assure that the applicant is what they say they are cause lets face fact it's easy to bullshit someone when your not face to face with them.

this is true.. and it can be very difficult, that why i personally prefer using irc.. you get a better feel for the individual

If it was me I would go for a detailed application form designed to discover a persons attitude on various things (sort of like psychological profiling) if this first test was passed it would be followed by a 1 month trial after which time their account would be reviewed, this would lead to either full membership or an IP ban :)
you could do that i suppose, but then your "STAFFING TIME" would end up consumed with going through all them applications you've just received.. and one done with that more time lost would be to follow up on all them people you've approved to join... not to mention, you may loose many possibly good members at the jump simply because they are turned off by filling out an application.. after all it's a tracker, not a job.. lol

I think it's even more difficult to select who among your existing userbase should be entitled to bring others to your site. Lets say even if you take the top 10% of your best users and give them invite privileges as you are aware accounts get traded like candy all over the interweb and your back to square 1 again.
how would you decide who is the in the top 10% of your userbase ?? and are you like suggesting making them recruiters?

I just can't see a foolproof way of implementing this to give you the "good users" every site wants, possibly some kind of "recommend a friend" strategy where both your account and your friends application is scrutinised closely (time consuming I know) which would then lead back into a situation described at the start of post.

Tough nut to crack me thinks :)

:yup:

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 04:31 PM

how would you decide who is the in the top 10% of your userbase ?? and are you like suggesting making them recruiters?

See my second post :)

magushun
01-14-2009, 04:35 PM
I've almost burned my hands a couple of times, but if I give someone an invite, I usually ask for his interests... All of my invitees to KG -for example- are sick movie addicts, who maybe arent able to maintain a ratio like all those seedbox users (but around 1), but their place is there, at KG. I think besides invites you should keep up the option for someone to prove, that he really needs the site.

You are related to bcg as far as i know, to check if somebody really a game addict, or at least plays sometimes isnt a hard task. Not for you, but for some folks you trust.

This is only my opinion...

noAxx
01-14-2009, 04:35 PM
T-T's application proposal is a good one, and has been successfully used on a number of more private trackers (most of whom probably don't want to be named here). It isn't flawless, but it allows you to get more detailed information than just ratios. And to help catch old banned users, though it won't help if they have a dynamic IP or use a proxy, you can set up the application process through a web form rather than through a referral system, allowing you to log IPs and check them against those of banned users.

! TRADE !
01-14-2009, 04:37 PM
if u want good member

make big giveaway

and the members

show screen shoot from the games they have

or give u a reason why they want to be members in ur tracker

stoi
01-14-2009, 04:38 PM
But as has been said, an application system means work for the staff, and i am not talking about these small sites, that may get 1 every 10 days, i am talking about sites that if they do open up, they get 10,000 new members in 24 hours.

this is also not just about my site either, its just a general question about how to get good members in, with minumul work for the staff, after all, its all done in their spare time for very little reward.

integral
01-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Depends what you mean by "good".

If you just want someone who isn't a trashy trader/cheater/seller, then I suggest scouting through another tracker. This way, you can already verify their "goodness" on one site, and you can check for their name on other trackers, to see if they have some sort of identity. You can also judge whether they might be a shady character; I'm not saying this is true in all circumstances, but I would guess traders would have very little or no forum posts/comments, as they're trying their hardest to stay under the radar.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 04:43 PM
if u want good member

make big giveaway

and the members

show screen shoot from the games they have

or give u a reason why they want to be members in ur tracker

Hmm nah won't work just makes it easier for undesirables to get in.

Here's my super duper photo-chopped screen shot of my games &
I would like to join as I'm a console game addict and have been for 15 years.

24 hours later on the FST trade board...

I have a fresh BCG games account but "My Dream" is to join TL wanna trade.

magushun
01-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Well, if the application system is not an option, cos of the numbers (which I understand), then there are some sites, which are great imo, and the people who you are talking about (cheaters, pricks with seedboxes, people who don't even try to behave) are just not interested in the content. Yeah, again KG, the content there just selects the members. To be honest, I don't know any way besides application to only let in those members, who would appreciate the site...

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 04:47 PM
But as has been said, an application system means work for the staff, and i am not talking about these small sites, that may get 1 every 10 days, i am talking about sites that if they do open up, they get 10,000 new members in 24 hours.

this is also not just about my site either, its just a general question about how to get good members in, with minumul work for the staff, after all, its all done in their spare time for very little reward.

Trial membership followed by auto-evaluation after a preset time period, it's not going to stop your DHCP 1 hit & runners though, the only thing I can vaguely think of to circumvent that is something similar to what XP used by generating a unique code from the hardware installed in the users box and keeping a log of it so that if the same user came back with a different IP there would be something else to cross reference it with but I'm guessing this is not easy code to write and users may feel as if their privacy is being invaded, you got me on that one :)

**Edit**

Not specifiacally talking about your site Stoi in any of my posts but just using it as an example of a large site which undoubtedly suffers from these annoying problems

Tinfish
01-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Depends what you mean by "good".

If you just want someone who isn't a trashy trader/cheater/seller, then I suggest scouting through another tracker. This way, you can already verify their "goodness" on one site, and you can check for their name on other trackers, to see if they have some sort of identity. You can also judge whether they might be a shady character; I'm not saying this is true in all circumstances, but I would guess traders would have very little or no forum posts/comments, as they're trying their hardest to stay under the radar.

most sites already have existing invite threads for other sites, that can only be seen by proven members.

doing it in secret "poaching" on someone elses site would be frowned upon, and might lead to some friction between trackers

and takes us back to the whole, theyre already on every site thing.

basilhaydens
01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Torrent users need to stop stressing over this crap, because it hardly makes a difference. Just open signups and have a user limit and if you find users who really break rules, warn/ban.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Torrent users need to stop stressing over this crap, because it hardly makes a difference. Just open signups and have a user limit and if you find users who really break rules, warn/ban.

This is completely untrue and in no way constructive to the OP's thread.

stoi
01-14-2009, 04:57 PM

You have 2 problems with that though.

Security for the members, anyone can sign up, jump on a torrent, get a list of IPs

Back to the sign up, hit and run, get banned, change IPs, new email, sign up, hit and run, get banned again rinse and repeat.

Also believe it or not, when we used to open, members would just sign up 20-250 times, so when we closed, they had accounts to trade/sell.

piratebot
01-14-2009, 05:06 PM
just officially offer invites to BCG on other trackers' invite threads/forums (EX waffles, what, hdbits.org). access to these threads/forums is usually PU or higher so at least they're good there. i know this is something you haven't tried yet, but a lot of other trackers have tried lol. you should probably have strict requirements for some of the larger trackers like what.cd.

mamacita
01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
I'll stick my neck out and say I think a new staff group of solely recruiters is needed for many sites. This goes against much of what some sites are about, but i think it is the best way to get the potentially "good" members into sites. Le me explain:

If there is ever a way to discern what a person is about, its through interaction with that person in a similar environment. Thus, for example, i go to demonoid and other places where I myself started out and interact with people constantly keeping an eye out for the factors that I think make a good site user.

I do this, of course, only for the few sites that i consider myself a good active member of. Who am I to judge what a good user is for a tracker I'm not even active at?

so the trick lies in the picking of those recruiters for your site.

Dare I say that as an active staff member, one should know who would make a good recruiter, and who would not? I'm not talking about talking a certain user class and giving them invite privs, I'm talking about hand selecting a group of people to do the honors.

Make it a pseudo staff class.

But maybe also put a spur in their seats. If they invite x amount of what you discern as "bad users" they lose their privileges. But don't make it harsh enough that they are scared to invite. The idea is to get them to go out and do their research.

Task the team with maybe splitting up the torrent world into sectors. Recruiter A makes himself an integral part of tracker a & b, and recruits mainly from there. He/she picks a couple trackers and becomes active, thus ensuring a better perspective.

Give them a forum section too, where they can discuss potentials, and other staff can chime in at will.

I've been a huge proponent of this sort of recruitment and would love to see it tried out somewhere. Again, the hardest part is getting the right recruiters.

stoi
01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Like i said though, what is so good about PU/SPU basically higher classes.

10gig downloaded, 100 gig uploaded in their first 12 weeks, = SPU, then they do not touch the tracker for the next 100weeks, but they are still the higher class.

Just because they are a higher class does not mean they are a good member.

and again just because i wrote this, dont think i am just on about BCG but everywhere.

mamacita
01-14-2009, 05:11 PM
just officially offer invites to BCG on other trackers' invite threads/forums (EX waffles, what, hdbits.org). access to these threads/forums is usually PU or higher so at least they're good there. i know this is something you haven't tried yet, but a lot of other trackers have tried lol. you should probably have strict requirements for some of the larger trackers like what.cd.

That doesn't work at all.

Who says a PU on any site is a good active member or judge of others? Just b/c they can afford a seedbox?

Stoi beat me to the punch. See my previous post for a better method.

Polarbear
01-14-2009, 05:11 PM
we're dealing with thousands of anonymous people here. different age groups, different ethnic and cultural background, different wealth etc. all they have in common is internet access and a demand for free games.
it's extremely difficult next to impossible to make a preselection.

you'll always have a certain percentage of bad users. with such a large userbase there's no way to keep them out.

i'd rather make up my mind how to detect them and kick them more effectively.

take cheaters as an example. why is it that so many trackers have poor scripts against them or don't use any scripts at all?

until now oink is still unreached when it comes to that point.

same goes for hit and runners, ip changes etc.

if the statistics say that 90% of an ip range are bad users, blackhole filter it. period.

of course bad users can sneak back in with a new ip. but if they misbehave again, they'll be kicked again.

develope an fully automated, working seek and destroy system. this is the internet. the sociological approach doesn't work. technical solutions are successful.

piratebot
01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
well, if they're invited thru another tracker, there's a better chance that they're unlikely to cheat/trade to avoid getting a bad rep. as for the inactivity thing, just have a system in place, but you already have that.

edit: whatever, it's better than OPEN sign-ups.

mamacita
01-14-2009, 05:17 PM
well, if they're invited thru another tracker, there's a better chance that they're unlikely to cheat/trade to avoid getting a bad rep. as for the inactivity thing, just have a system in place, but you already have that.

edit: whatever, it's better than OPEN sign-ups.

Not at all. then you just get people who sign up at a site, become PU just so they can get an invite to site z.

basilhaydens
01-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Security for the members, anyone can sign up, jump on a torrent, get a list of IPs

Back to the sign up, hit and run, get banned, change IPs, new email, sign up, hit and run, get banned again rinse and repeat.

Also believe it or not, when we used to open, members would just sign up 20-250 times, so when we closed, they had accounts to trade/sell.

How often are ips actually reported and action taken? Rarely. Even rarer do they amount to anything.

I've got or have had several accounts on several sites. Technically I've been a fairly good member on each account, so there is no harm done. Some may get banned a few times, but big deal, they are not really taking anything from the tracker.

I'm protrading, I just don't think the problems with security are so serious. And the more open signup periods, the less likely people are to trade accounts.

stoi
01-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Regarding cheat scripts.

A: they kill servers or you need a bloody good server/s to do it.

B: Oinks average size of torrents was 100meg say. other trackers its 4 gig+

C: even Oinks was not fool proof, I know people that cheated on Oink and got away with it, I also know people that did not cheat and got banned.

a perfect cheat script would be fantastic, but whatever a human makes, a human can destroy (or bypass) so we will never ever have a 100% foolproof script for cheaters, so if that is the case, i would rather have it, 20% auto 80% human intervention.

integral
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Expanding on what I said before, I don't think there is some magical unchecked userbase filled with innocent users who don't trade/cheat and always seed to 1:1. Every place, no matter how small, is going to be tainted in some way.

mamacita touched on a point I was trying to express in my previous post in this thread. The process of getting new users should be personalized to some degree. Unfortunately as I said before every place is going to have some taint (some places more than others), but the more personal the recruitment process gets, the better chance you'll have of getting good people.

Whether this comes in the form of asking another tracker to accommodate you a thread on their forums, or enlisting trusted members to scout for new blood, you're going to have better luck the more personal you get.

Also, the severe misconception where people feel they _have_ to recruit other to torrent sites from other torrent-replated places should be stopped. Many trackers' FAQ pages tell you everything you need to know, so tracker userbases feeding off of each other shouldn't be the only option.

CaptanAmerica
01-14-2009, 05:22 PM
want good members at good trackers? then delete all threads connected with trackers levels and leave only description of em. sure, what the point to anybody to get ftn/sct/etc if he even cant tie together with two words in the paper (at the forum in our position). so after that step well have at least a bit little collectors. old members ofc saved those threads but new who came at this torrenting world and dsnt know much about it will keep in their mind that they need any tracker by his description/stories abt it/etc. i hope so

i dont also think that the forum is the best place for making judgement about ppl. some of us came at forums for fun. in this point of view forums > irc, cuz we can see the posts that were made today, yesterday or weeks ago. and nowadays they are like chat for ppl, im not an exept in this case but i dont care. forums are forums and were made for long posts where u can be expressed and explain ur opinion. one post for one thread. if its not a big topic of conversation then 1 post is enuff. all we knew how some thread were blowed out with the shit and have no sense more. and i was there to help em, heh

if some1 needs a help - 2-3 posts (not offtopic ofc) and waiting for his reply. not nuff, then go next. summat

otoh if wed like to know the man we must go at irc. its the place where the gtm zones are still making some rules but the countries, skin color, religion arent important. im talking abt keeping a civil tongue. there are too many idiots those days, and thats why ircs better then forums cuz u can very fast learn whos who. as for me i can make my desicion about somebody at least with month. usually its about 40-50 hours of chatting with him

atm im done cant put here more then my .02 but id like to discuss more abt that and will make big post when ll have enuff time

Cabalo
01-14-2009, 05:24 PM
i pretty much believe in the theory of "external recruiters".
i was talking with this with a RL friend of mine that was thinking to open a tracker and wanted me to share some knowledge.
after a very long discussion, mostly as i playing devil's advocate, we reached a common sense that recruiters would be the way to go.
recruiters that not necessarily had to be staff.

i'll try to keep this short, but what we'd do is to talk with some people that we know as of trustworthy at several places, not all BT related, and some very country specific, and recruit members to become "recruiters". I know a few, hardcore good torrenters, that would fit like a glove.

they would necessarily be compensate in the short and medium run with whatever we feel like it's their motivation (perks on site, seedboxes, invites for other sites, and other stuff).
Of course all of them would run a 2 month trial period, mostly one month for recruiting members and 1 month more to see how those recruits behaved.

some will say that this might create the recruiter figure as a very important one, and that he can profit along his way (not talking monetarily), but hey, if he is doing a damn fine job, why should i care if he is "the guy to talk to" :idunno: consider it as one of the "payment" for his services.
i also don't believe in trackers that only allow members to enter after too long scrutiny . I know so many good ones that almost never will get a shot at being members of some harder to get into sites.

mamacita
01-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Also, the severe misconception where people feel they _have_ to recruit other to torrent sites from other torrent-replated places should be stopped. Many trackers' FAQ pages tell you everything you need to know, so tracker userbases feeding off of each other shouldn't be the only option.

Good point, meant to mention that myself. I'd love to see recruiting done in active forums that have nothing to do with torrenting. Of course, those people recruited from these places would need a little "hand holding" at first.

piratebot
01-14-2009, 05:27 PM
what respectable, non-filesharing related forums would allow something related to piracy?

jasperr
01-14-2009, 05:27 PM

How often are ips actually reported and action taken? Rarely. Even rarer do they amount to anything.

I've got or have had several accounts on several sites. Technically I've been a fairly good member on each account, so there is no harm done. Some may get banned a few times, but big deal, they are not really taking anything from the tracker.

I'm protrading, I just don't think the problems with security are so serious. And the more open signup periods, the less likely people are to trade accounts.

actually, m8 you're a bit off on that m8... ips are actually reported and acted on much more than you think... don't be fooled by fellow trader's campfire stories who say its false simply because they havn't been caught... yet!

and i agree about the open signups... they would deter a lot of trading ... then again. so would a flood of invites.. who actually would trade if they river of invites flooded right over you... :01:

mamacita
01-14-2009, 05:30 PM
what respectable, non-filesharing related forums would allow something related to piracy?

you seem to be assuming that recruiting is done through some sort of "thread" or post. I'm not condoning that at all. In fact, i don't think public recruitment like what is done here at FST sometimes is a good thing.

I'm talking about inviting people that you get to know on an individual basis. Recruitment of members should be a slow and steady thing, not a sudden influx.

stoi
01-14-2009, 05:30 PM
and i agree about the open signups... they would deter a lot of trading ... then again. so would a flood of invites.. who actually would trade if they river of invites flooded right over you.

hmm wrong

we had over 350,000 invites in our db ready to use, every member had about 15 of them, and people still traded and sold them.

So quantity means nothing.

Mind you if the WTAW thread had been updated and we went down to lvl 1-2 at the time of having that many, it may have been different, but as we were still lvl 3 they were still worth something.

Cabalo
01-14-2009, 05:31 PM
shit, took me 15 minutes to write my post, and mamacita almost took all my ideas :(
buhaaaa i'm no longer original...

but hey, it's good to see that some people share this view, it's the first time i am seeing a debate about it.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
and i agree about the open signups... they would deter a lot of trading ... then again. so would a flood of invites.. who actually would trade if they river of invites flooded right over you.

hmm wrong

we had over 350,000 invites in our db ready to use, every member had about 15 of them, and people still traded and sold them.

So quantity means nothing.

Mind you if the WTAW thread had been updated and we went down to lvl 1-2 at the time of having that many, it may have been different, but as we were still lvl 3 they were still worth something.

I think you've hit upon another paradoxical problem how do you take the value out of your invites pre-membership and still get your users to treasure their account post-membership, the good users will of course appreciate the content & knowledge in the site but traders will always be motivated by supply and demand

That WTAW list has a lot to answer for.

mamacita
01-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Indeed, abolishing the WTAW thread, and then giving it time, would greatly help things too.

stoi
01-14-2009, 05:41 PM
But that will never happen.

I have tried lol

jasperr
01-14-2009, 05:41 PM
we all know thats true.. but, lets stick to the topic

Adam1990
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
There have been a few posts on here about Invites and traders etc etc, so this is your chance to put the world to rights on this.

Put yourself in the position of a tracker owner/staffer that spends most of his/her day checking on members, for cheaters etc.

Now also take into consideration the following.

People that do giveawys on public forums, very well might be bringing in a member that the tracker banned 6 months before, you also have no clue who they are, and even ratios and profiles on other sites, can be misleading.

Same as above, they are not doing it for the good of the site, but because they want something in return.

get lots of cheaters coming in.

gets lots of hit and runners

See all points above but also dupe accounts, sign up hit and run, get banned, change IP sign up again, rinse and repeat over and over again.

7: Security.

most trackers want security for themselves and for their members, like our members getting letters from their ISP is best avoided at all costs, Security is not just about security of the staff ans the owners.

Remember this is not about just getting as many members as possible, this is about getting 99% good members into the tracker, but lots of them (if that is even possible lol)

So just for 10 minutes, put yourself into a tracker staffers shoes, even the hardcore traders and cheaters, and lets hear some answers, this is just for curiosity purposes, but you may come up with some ideas no tracker staffer has ever come up with.

And staying closed for eternity is not an answer, this is about getting members, but bloody good ones.

at the end of the day, all tracker staff want are good decent members, is that to much to ask in this day and age.

Heres what little or no tracker staff will understand. There is going to be good users and bad users no matter what system they implement, no matter how many or little invites they give out. There is NOTHING you can do to stop it short of removing invites altogether. Every tracker should just give every user a set number of invites depending on how big they want the tracker to get, and let them use them. Then ban accordingly. Sure, an invite giveaway has a possibility of bringing in a very bad user, but it could also bring in an excellent user that would have otherwise not had the chance to join. My 2 cents.

stoi
01-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Well regarding getting them from other trackers and a decent cheat script.

How do you know they are not cheating their ass off on that site, just to get to PU to get into those invite forums to get somewhere else.

They then get on a site that takes cheating a lot more serious, they cheat straight away again to get to a higher class to get into another site (lvls again) but this time they get caught.

So not only have you brought in a cheater, but him and you will probably get a global ban from most trackers out there.

Like i have said on numerous occasions, just because they are a good member of tracker A (or look like one) does not mean they are actually a good member.

We have VIPs that are those that go above and beyond what they should do on the tracker, we have 30,000 members, we have 13 VIPs, and some of those are X-Staff, so that just goes to show how hard it is to get a good member.

jasperr
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Heres what little or no tracker staff will understand. There is going to be good users and bad users no matter what system they implement, no matter how many or little invites they give out. There is NOTHING you can do to stop it short of removing invites altogether. Every tracker should just give every user a set number of invites depending on how big they want the tracker to get, and let them use them. Then ban accordingly. Sure, an invite giveaway has a possibility of bringing in a very bad user, but it could also bring in an excellent user that would have otherwise not had the chance to join. My 2 cents.

little or no tracker staff will understand?? who do ya think started the thread?? and there have been a couple other tracker staff(from diferrent trackers) responding as well.. lol.. they know better than anyone, what the deal is... the question was what would you do/suggest to slow/curb or stop the insanity....

vic
01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
you just need a good, powerful group of moderators to supervise the members and be involved in the right places to catch the traders / account sellers.

mamacita
01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
But see stoi, that is what cabalo and i are trying to say....make it personal. Don't chose recruiters based on any sort of user class, and in turn the recruiters also don't go out and judge based on tracker status

stoi
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Ok but to me that is fine if you are happy with 20 new members a month, but that would drive me batty lol for me i would need about 600 recruiters lol

mamacita
01-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Would you rather have 20 active, respectable users per month or 595 members who dont give a shit, and 5 who do?

Cabalo
01-14-2009, 06:09 PM
a good recruiter doesn't recruit from a solo place.
it's his "job" to scour several sites looking for the potentially good ones.
It would be up to you to adjust the level of "pickyness" they would have to use.

if a recruiter achieves a 70% success rate, it would be excellent in my books.
success meaning = traders or cheaters ( i don't go as far as immediately active members, as i know for my own experience that some times i take quite some time to start leeching from a site).

about this, how did the experiment with that giveaway of blue_skies went? if i'm allowed to ask ?

jasperr
01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Ok but to me that is fine if you are happy with 20 new members a month, but that would drive me batty lol for me i would need about 600 recruiters lol

lmao :01:

Time-Traveller
But see stoi, that is what cabalo and i are trying to say....make it personal. Don't chose recruiters based on any sort of user class, and in turn the recruiters also don't go out and judge based on tracker status

I might have thought of a way to deliver the "the personal touch" virtually. It goes back to the psychological profiling thing I touched on earlier

What if you had some kind of online application form that gave your perspective applicant a series of multiple choice questions that were picked randomly from your question bank.

Once the form was submitted it would be automatically checked and a score would be given based on the answers provided.

might take a while to setup if you wanted to write your own questions but there must be code out there that does this as a lot of companies will use this type of test as part of the interview process.

I'm not saying this is the answer to every trackers problems however could be something in it.

Swift
i guess invites / open signup and thats about it

dragoi92
01-14-2009, 06:13 PM
if u want to be good member just help people and make many friends

Cabalo
01-14-2009, 06:19 PM
hahahaha from which planet did you arrive?
did you just land at planet earth?

mamacita
01-14-2009, 06:22 PM
I might have thought of a way to deliver the "the personal touch" virtually. It goes back to the psychological profiling thing I touched on earlier

What if you had some kind of online application form that gave your perspective applicant a series of multiple choice questions that were picked randomly from your question bank.

Once the form was submitted it would be automatically checked and a score would be given based on the answers provided.

might take a while to setup if you wanted to write your own questions but there must be code out there that does this as a lot of companies will use this type of test as part of the interview process.

I'm not saying this is the answer to every trackers problems however could be something in it.

I think an approach like this might work if it were done in a way where a recruiting "committee" and staff could jointly talk about the applications.

The problem with apps is that, like many have said before, they create a lot more tedious work than might be needed. i can tell you this from a personal point of view because I was a moderator and DM of a NWN persistant world, and we only allowed certain multi-classes and subraces via a request system.

Let me tell you, after a while, you simply stop reading the requests, or start putting them off and procrastinating. Then all of a sudden your request or application system is a failure and actually unfair to others, since its a dead end.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 06:25 PM

I think an approach like this might work if it were done in a way where a recruiting "committee" and staff could jointly talk about the applications.

The problem with apps is that, like many have said before, they create a lot more tedious work than might be needed. i can tell you this from a personal point of view because I was a moderator and DM of a NWN persistant world, and we only allowed certain multi-classes and subraces via a request system.

Let me tell you, after a while, you simply stop reading the requests, or start putting them off and procrastinating. Then all of a sudden your request or application system is a failure and actually unfair to others, since its a dead end.

K in that case I vote we just go with Dragoi's solution it's both simple and elequant, take me to your leader lol

ghurka
01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
There is no tried and tested method so it comes down to what works for each particular site. As has already been proved, open reg didn't work for BCG as too many members created dupe accounts and invites get traded.

I'm sure that there are members, other than staff, willing to recruit for the site who will do background checks on potential members. You have a dozen people doing this and you should bring in some decent new members. The only problem is that you would have to change the rules for these recruiters so that they are not penalised if they bring in a bad member but neither do they get anything in return if they bring in good members. At least that way you know they are just doing it for the good of the site.

integral
01-14-2009, 06:27 PM

Yeah, I thought Naix's post above his was the worst of the thread, then I read dragoi92's post and was quickly corrected.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 06:30 PM

Yeah, I thought Naix's post above his was the worst of the thread, then I read dragoi92's post and was quickly corrected.

Ffs whats wrong with you guy's you can't even recognise true genius when you see it. :)

mamacita
01-14-2009, 06:34 PM
haha!

Btw, it feels good to finally have a decent discussion around here. I haven't found a topic like this in a long time that prompted me to start posting a lot.

SaviouR
01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Biggest Problem is that Rarity is more or less in almost everyone's minds . invite-only sites or a site in a WTAW thread are the only ones whih brings a curiosity to them . Thats the way it is almost everywhere sadly .

Personally speaking , open signups is the way to go . Problem of dupe accounts , trading doesnt occur . Rotten Accounts having 0up 0down go away provided there's an auto script . The Rarity Crap messes it all up . UBer-SEcreTZ Trackers thingy works only in promoting the site , not getting good users . Been here a long time to see many trackers opting the "Super-Secret-TRacker!!!!" method to get in curious ppl and then fading away in 3 months .

Good Users will love the Site IRRESPECTIVE whether the site is open signups , is lvl 3124253463536566 or invite-only . The Rotten users will go away and you will have users who will actually value the Site irrespective of any rarity shit. In that way you will have much better Users than closing it alltogther . The Collectors wont be interested since its open signups and their accounts will get deleted . At the start there will be a influx due to the curiosity but eventually the ones interested will be the ones left .The ones who were deleted would probably never come back thinking " hey it was open signups , its ok forget it . i will register later if i need something" . In this way there is more chance of getting better users .

There are Pros and Cons in almost every options mentioned , but personally i feel this is a good solution .

dragoi92
01-14-2009, 07:03 PM
we have integral
little einstein

puckface
01-14-2009, 07:25 PM
As I have stated before, I would follow the model of What from the beginning to what happens now.

The first week or two they were open, they would let anyone in on IRC, then they gave invites to members. That opened the floodgates to get what they needed... members.

After that, Im sure plenty of people were weeded out for being "bad" users.

Now step two. IRC interviews. What is in a unique situation becuase that are a dedicated tracker, granted. But this could hold true for an HD site, a music site, a movie only site. (KG has done IRC interviews in the past as well). Interview to see what a person is all about and if you find them satisfatory, invite them... if not... sorry pal.

That would be my personal model from day 1

nsk
01-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Best way imo is simple, staff do recruitment threads and / or irc interviews when / if they need new members, that way they decided who they get in, i also prefer to get invited by staff because your account is safer, your not gonna get banned because the guy who invited you traded or something. :)

Tinfish
01-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Personally speaking , open signups is the way to go . Problem of dupe accounts , trading doesnt occur . Rotten Accounts having 0up 0down go away provided there's an auto script

pretty much every single private site has a user limit, when reached the open sign ups would be closed.

now what will happen is, upon closing sign ups (leaving you no honest way in) the dupe accounts etc etc.. now have a value, limit reached so only way in is trade.

the minute any site goes public it is hammered by ppl creating as many accounts as they can, for the inevitable day when sign ups close and make theyre dupe accounts valuable as trade items.

leaving sign ups open will eventually mean you hit your limit, and are either forced to close sign ups or completely revamp your site.
most have a reasonable limit for a reason, what ever that may be.

why become a usefull member of a tracker when you can make a dozen accounts, and simply use them as currency.

sites have often tried open invites, its not like its a new thing.
they know the cost of doing it. thats why its still quite rare, and big news when it happens.

to me at least, its like anything else, you give it a go, accept you will have to tidy up a big mess, and see what happens.

personnaly i expect a lot of tools to sign up so it does not dissapoint me, when ppl who never had access to a private tracker get in, take part in forums, irc etc, jump on the torrents its a great thing to see.

but as for a perfect solution to bringing in good members, the person who comes up with that solution could sell the idea and retire :)

i do not think that as a tracker you can do much, good ppl make good users. bad ppl are bad users, its that simple.

what can you do to get around it ?

these days everyone has a seedbox, user level means little on many sites. some require more than a fat pipe however wich is handy.

but some ppl dont like to post on the trackers, doesnt mean they arent excellent users though.. so its not a simple thing.

you can ask other staff, but if your in a possition where you can get invites, anywhere because staffers speak highly of you,then you wont be very active. merely doing the required upkeep so you dont lose the account through inactivity.

interviews ? well theyre boring, and once one guy knows what answers to go with, the entire net will know. we can all lie, or copy and paste, besides not knowing the difference between 2 file types doesnt mean you wont be a good torrenter.

the best users are the ones that know the basics, stay active and dont have many sites meaning they will actually have a NEED of yours and use it, you know they will leach, seed, bring something to the community.

theyre also the ones on demonid/minninova/TPB, that cant get into private sites in the first place unfortunatly :)

it all basically boils back down to opening sign ups, and dealing with the fallout, because other methods might mean you catch bad users a little quicker, but they involve the same amount of work.
hanging about infront of IRC to hold an interview probably takes more time then checking an ip range to see who was signing up to multiple accounts in the first place.

^^NSK makes good points, especially one why its good to be invited by staff. I know someone i invited myself is going to be treated with a lot more trust than some total unknown from god knows where, that isnt to say that everyone isnt given theyre fair hearing, but im more likely to assume someones telling the truth when i invited them myself, know where they are from, know that they know screwing me on one site will cost them several etc etc.

course the dissadvantage of being invited by staff is messing up will no doubt make them feel all petty and vengefull and get you banned on lots of sites :)

staff do already do that, of course many choose to do it on sites that are invite only to start with.

Villalltheway
01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
To be honest there will never a perfect way to give out invites, there will always be bad people and good people, unless u psycially sit down with ever person u invite and moderate what they do on these trackers,u will never know the intentions of what people are planning to do.

Also i dont get this argument at all

People that do giveawys on public forums, very well might be bringing in a member that the tracker banned 6 months before,

This could be the case anytime not just in public giveaways, i mean are people under the illusion that in private giveaway this could not happen.

nbo
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Well it depends on the question.
How to you get 100% good members? you cant.

But you can do better than the average site, and set your goal to have a high percent of good members.

I am part of a tracker that has a small amount of members, all hand picked out of more private forums, community based of course, that way works but you cant expect anything crazy out of it, most members there are helpful in the forums, most upload torrents even with slow connections and everyone seeds for a shitload of time, people with a seedbox will usually download all new torrents for that day to help the seeding and donations are fair so theres no struggle despite the small amount of users. And how do we expand? The invite system, not automatic, if you reached a certain user class you make a request to staff, only if you already have someone you want to invite, a person you really know so you will never have an unused invite for more than a day or 2.
Of course we can't prevent them from bringing in a bad user, so if they do they won't be able to invite someone again and you ban the invitee. Usually the inviter will bring in someone he can trust.

Now if I were starting my own tracker, i get a lot of uploaders, put up at least 1000-1500 torrents before i open it to the public, then let people register via open signups with no limit.
Let is stick for a year, in the mean time find the really good and helpful users, after a year kick out all the non-helpful ones out which will leave you with no more than 1000-4000 users, then let staff and the very very best users invite other people occasionally.

brightsid
01-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Instead of looking for good members I would look for completely new in torrents members. Get the ones called noobs the ones that make the silly questions.
I would create a part in the tracker suitable for educating them in the rules of the tracker and the principles of p2p and filesharing
I know there are alot of security issues and risks but if some of them achieve to be part of the main community you'll have the members exactly like you want

SaviouR
01-14-2009, 09:14 PM
the minute any site goes public it is hammered by ppl creating as many accounts as they can, for the inevitable day when sign ups close and make theyre dupe accounts valuable as trade items.

leaving sign ups open will eventually mean you hit your limit, and are either forced to close sign ups or completely revamp your site.
most have a reasonable limit for a reason, what ever that may be.

why become a usefull member of a tracker when you can make a dozen accounts, and simply use them as currency.

How can they use a site as currency when they are signups the whole time ? Thats what i said in my above post , signups eradicate all these problems (Dupe Accounts , Trading etc) go away .

The Thing Many (i didnt say all) SysOP's realize their sites are only popular only till they have a high Rarity across the internet . The Day they open signups forever , i can bet you almost all will just leave the site because as i said , almost all the people (including all the anti-trader forEVER !!!! types) have the level shit in their minds . So an open signup would make a site "worse" in the view of the Sysops and the users becos they all are subconsciously caring about the rarity . Sad but a True Situation around the Bittorrent World .

Its that why we see most of the new sites as open signups to increase the number of memebers and find good ppl while some Sysops do have the Rarity Crap in their back of the mind and hence they plan out accordingly .

mamacita
01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Demonoid has to be one of the easiest sites to sign up on, and yet it doesn't lack in ANY sort of activity, so I don't think this rarity is as necessary as you might think, SaviouR

stoi
01-14-2009, 09:22 PM
maybe for some sites, but remember i have been doing this for 5 years, and i have tried everything or at least most things in the spectrum.

We were open when we first started, but had to close because we got 11,000 peers and it crashed the server.

then we moved and went with XBTT, we then opened again, got to 40,000 closed for a bit. went down to 25,000 so opened again.

opened for about 3-4 months, we got 100,000 members (which was my goal) problem was, most were dupe accounts, when we closed it only took about 3-4 months to go from 100,000 members all the way down to 45,000 again.

I am not aying that staff banned 55,000 members, but most of those were dupe accounts, sign up, grab 4 torrents, hit and run, get into KL so they cant download, sign up again, 2 months later the old account would get pruned, so that is why when we closed, we went down so much in members.

I could not give a crap about rarity, apart from the things i do not agree about it lol

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 09:24 PM
The Thing Many (i didnt say all) SysOP's realize their sites are only popular only till they have a high Rarity across the internet . The Day they open signups forever , i can bet you almost all will just leave the site because as i said , almost all the people (including all the anti-trader forEVER !!!! types) have the level shit in their minds.

You've made good points in this thread and I can see the logic in what your saying but I'm not entirely convinced on this bit. You could open the sign-ups but don't increase the maximum number of users and I'm confident a lot of the "good users" the ones you want in your site would stay for the community, the content & it would still be a bit of an exclusive club for existing members with a trickle of fresh blood joining all the time. This should reduce the value of the site in the eye's of users / traders as they would have at the back of their minds that if I'm persistent enough I'll get an account here legitimately and won't have to trade / buy

Just a thought, not saying it's gospel :)

mamacita
01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Just throwing this out there for the hell of it, but if what if a site had several tiers to it?

Have a general part of the site where it is relatively easy to get into, but doesn't offer many of the amenities that the higher tiers have. Perhaps access to much of the forum, and maybe torrents that are older than x amount of days/weeks?

And from there you can have people who watch out for the "gems in the rough" and recruit accordingly.

It's almost like having a dummy sister site from which you recruit to the main site.

Might be a bad idea, but was just brainstorming.

Time-Traveller
01-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Just throwing this out there for the hell of it, but if what if a site had several tiers to it?

Have a general part of the site where it is relatively easy to get into, but doesn't offer many of the amenities that the higher tiers have. Perhaps access to much of the forum, and maybe torrents that are older than x amount of days/weeks?

And from there you can have people who watch out for the "gems in the rough" and recruit accordingly.

It's almost like having a dummy sister site from which you recruit to the main site.

Might be a bad idea, but was just brainstorming.

I think it's a really good idea in theory but let's face it I don't think anybody could be arsed actually implementing it lol

Think the closest your going to get to that is one site recruiting from another sites forum whthe pro's & con's of which have already been discussed

SaviouR
01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
about my earlier post i didnt mean all sites , i spoke about the sites which just thrive on Rarity . and yes i agree , Demonoid system works fantastic .

brightsid
01-14-2009, 10:05 PM
It's just what I was talking about mamacita

ShadowsServant
01-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Best way imo is simple, staff do recruitment threads and / or irc interviews when / if they need new members, that way they decided who they get in, i also prefer to get invited by staff because your account is safer, your not gonna get banned because the guy who invited you traded or something. :)

Recruiting sounds good. Have a little talk with the soon to be members would be great. Interviews would help to get an idea what kind of a member they will be. Sure some people can flat out lie their way in but nothing is full proof. Maybe revising all new members after a set period of time to reevaluate the members helpfulness.

It would be time consuming of course. Depends on what effort your want to put in.

SoulEdge01
01-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Why not the staff interviews potential members by themselves.

stoi
01-14-2009, 11:24 PM
well in all honesty mate, i did not ban you it must have been cirno, so if you want a 2nd chance (which you will not get because you cheated) you will have to speak to him.

You can say all the excuses in the book, but what you fail to grasp is this.

I have been there, and still am.

I used to have a PC with an 11gig hdd, i ran the tracker on that and seeded new XBOX games by myself and on a 25KBs connection.

Now I have the HDD space but my connection is still crap, from 10am to 10pm I have to limit my uploading to 10KBs or I get capped if I upload 1.3gig in that time, and my net slows to a crawl.

I also have to turn my PC off on a night as well.

I am the owner with DB access.

But guess what, I still do not cheat, it just means that instead of a week to get SP it takes me 2 weeks, and instead of 4 days to get a 1:1 on a 360 torrent, it takes me 2-3 weeks.

I have even downloaded these PSP packs, so over 100gig, but i have seeded them till SP and I am still seeding them and will do till i get over a 1 Actual ratio on them in my client, and probably for months after as well.

There is just no excuse for cheating, and sorry but if you got caught, good.

bumrocks
01-14-2009, 11:34 PM
I have not read everyones answers so this may be a dupe but it is my answer...

To the question in subject line.

My feeling that there is no perfect way, but the best way is via an app process with profile links...Mandatory minimum of 4, imo. And then start looking into as much history as possible...Obviously, looking at account times, stats, usernames, and such...Tedious it is, but the closest thing to letting people in that you don't know as safely as possible. And should they dick you around whether it be trading or cheating you will have links to their other accounts!

Intr4ns1t
01-15-2009, 12:05 AM
I have not read everyones answers so this may be a dupe but it is my answer...

To the question in subject line.

My feeling that there is no perfect way, but the best way is via an app process with profile links...Mandatory minimum of 4, imo. And then start looking into as much history as possible...Obviously, looking at account times, stats, usernames, and such...Tedious it is, but the closest thing to letting people in that you don't know as safely as possible. And should they dick you around whether it be trading or cheating you will have links to their other accounts!

Having a specific class of "psuedo" staff to do this helps. It takes some of the burden off your staff members, and I'm sure that you wouldn't have too many problems finding 5 or 10 users at BCG that are well trusted and well placed thata have been there for a long time. I guess the biggest factor would be how many new users you want/need per month. If the sky's the limit on your user limit, then that is moot I guess, but my approach has always been "slow and steady" on our site.

In your case you may want to seriously consider a Game based interview form, whether it be through "recruiters" or an irc channel, or both for that matter. You are a dedicated tracker after all, so it would make sense to see some sort of knowledge about gaming be possesed by potential members.

At the heart of it, I really think it would be hard to have a relatively foolproof method for a site as big as yours. While opening the doors would eliminate alot of trading, they would have to be open for a while for people to be convinced that it's not "worth" something trade wise, and that would do nothing to deal with the cheating problem.

TakeMS
01-15-2009, 12:09 AM
i think best method is invite only good members.
and be carefull when invite members so no :shit: ones join.
is always hard, but signups not the best option. :noes:
i think it.

SoulEdge01
01-15-2009, 01:02 AM
I understand the concerns behind this, but a small community will make things move slower.

lysine
01-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Ok, I understand, but you are the owner man, lets say I speak with Cirno, how can he decide over you?

from my experience, most staff don't interfere with other staff member's decisions when it comes to banning users.

honestly, neither of them probably care about your account or the problems you got yourself into.

Villalltheway
01-15-2009, 01:10 AM
well in all honesty mate, i did not ban you it must have been cirno, so if you want a 2nd chance (which you will not get because you cheated) you will have to speak to him.

You can say all the excuses in the book, but what you fail to grasp is this.

I have been there, and still am.

I used to have a PC with an 11gig hdd, i ran the tracker on that and seeded new XBOX games by myself and on a 25KBs connection.

Now I have the HDD space but my connection is still crap, from 10am to 10pm I have to limit my uploading to 10KBs or I get capped if I upload 1.3gig in that time, and my net slows to a crawl.

I also have to turn my PC off on a night as well.

I am the owner with DB access.

But guess what, I still do not cheat, it just means that instead of a week to get SP it takes me 2 weeks, and instead of 4 days to get a 1:1 on a 360 torrent, it takes me 2-3 weeks.

I have even downloaded these PSP packs, so over 100gig, but i have seeded them till SP and I am still seeding them and will do till i get over a 1 Actual ratio on them in my client, and probably for months after as well.

There is just no excuse for cheating, and sorry but if you got caught, good.

Well said these people always come out with the same excuse of it was my first time, i had problems with my internet etc etc, i have a modurate internet speed and seem to survive with awesome ratios on all the tracker that i am on, even the ones they say u should not join unless u have a seedbox. I swear its just about being patient, if people were a little more patient and not greedy they wouldnt never have a need to cheat.

SoulEdge01
01-15-2009, 01:36 AM
I think private torrent trackers need a way to measure the upload speed of potential members.

integral
01-15-2009, 01:45 AM
i think best method is invite only good members.

It's not that often that I read such genius, I'll have to sit and contemplate for hours so I can attain that level of understanding.

pentomato
01-15-2009, 01:51 AM

In any community you find good and bad people, there is not way you can know who's going to be good, if we could this world would be perfect, but it is not.
How can anyone sign up more than once and not get cought?

mrnobody
01-15-2009, 01:56 AM
@ small site it is simple. They've small userbase, within that userbase very few have invite, and if anyone trys to misuse it they'll be caught easy.

@ big site it must be awful dealing with bad apples. If they're open they get loads of traders, cheaters, previously banned members, invite/account sellers, and possibly all scums in the planet. Now if they are closed, the userbase is still big and so is number of invites that are available. Furthermore, these trackers will likely have like 1 staff per 1000 users or even more (OiNK cough OiNK) ever and on top of that the invite system is the easiest one ever (invites upon promotion like). With all this madness, all staffs could spend their entire freetime clearing up the bad apples and it would not be enough.

imo, larger sites need to make a different approach.

1) increase # of staffers. I seen a tracker with 15+ staffers and that is one among many fun part of the tracker. If there are more staffers, they can divide work load among themselves. Like, coders could focus on coding and coding only and the rest could do other stuff like watching over the forum, torrent page, irc etc.

2) make a different approach to invites. regardless of how big a tracker is, imo, everyone should upload if they want higher userclass/ invite. While doing so, bunch might just come to appreciate the tracker more than ever.

3) don't hand out invite to everyone at once. If a site has 20,000 users and if 10,000 are eligible for invites then roll their turn each month like-

2,000 this week
another 2,000 next week and so forth

prolly won't help much if the # are as high as 2,000 but that's just an example.

4) share IPs with other trackers, meaning get IPs from them and give IPs to them. Permanent ban for sellers and cheaters. They are not worth the time.

5) if you are getting tons of bad apples from particular area (like country) save yourself and do a IP range ban. i know you woudn't agree with it though.

Lastly, don't stress to much on invites. If you have done enough precaution then you likely won't get much bad apple as you normall would. If you have not, then you'll get tons of cheaters, traders, invite sellers and filtering them will take you all day.

If someone is selling an invite, hunt them for sure. Name the shame and make an example out of them. But don't waste your time going after each trading report you get...well, unless you have enough manpower to do it. That again brings back to having more staffers.

^ give invites to those that manage to go through all that is listed above. They'll find good members for you. You don't have to go door-to-door recruiting, it's really unnecessary. Just focus on the tracker itself..and once people recognize it as the best those who good members will make in the tracker through friends.

P.S. how many staffs are in BCG btw?

Tinfish
01-15-2009, 10:16 AM
How can they use a site as currency when they are signups the whole time ? Thats what i said in my above post , signups eradicate all these problems (Dupe Accounts , Trading etc) go away

as i said though you cant keep them open forever. there is always a limit, wether you want 30K or 100K
once thats reached they cannot keep signups open.

not every site simply wants to keep expanding as they get more members.
some are happy with the 25,50,100K limit.
obviously if they expanded forever and ever, then it would work, because the accounts would have no value.

KushBlow
01-15-2009, 11:18 AM
I think giving staff invites and letting them invite and recruit people they know is the best option.

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I think giving staff invites and letting them invite and recruit people they know is the best option.

Staffs are human themselves, so I'm sure they'll become rather narcissistic if that happens. :lol:

KushBlow
01-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Staffs are human themselves, so I'm sure they'll become rather narcissistic if that happens. :lol:

If they're dedicated members who contribute to the tracker (like staff should be) I doubt they'll bite the hand that feeds them :dry:.

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 11:48 AM

If they're dedicated members who contribute to the tracker (like staff should be) I doubt they'll bite the hand that feeds them :dry:.

Well, there are lots of people who don't really know leet people so they wouldn't know how to get an invite.

But there are also lots of people who cheat.

On a side note:
I think I know you, KushBlow. ;)

Albo Da Kid
01-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Anistoned i think i know you too. Aren't you that dude who tried to get a revolt invite in the revolt irc acting as a chick? Then got banned? I think the name started with Ani. Ani_ntura or something

KushBlow
01-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Well, there are lots of people who don't really know leet people so they wouldn't know how to get an invite.

On a side note:

Oh yeah I think we shared a Whatbox together :).

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Anistoned i think i know you too. Aren't you that dude who tried to get a revolt invite in the revolt irc acting as a chick? Then got banned? I think the name started with Ani. Ani_ntura or something

What's revolt? o_o

I only use this name here on FST as I don't wish to reveal my identity on certain trackers.

I can show you a few of my profiles on certain trackers if you want, name it.

On a side note:

Oh yeah I think we shared a Whatbox together :).

Oh! That's why.

Albo Da Kid
01-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Response to the OP.

My way of getting nothing but good member is this:

Give invite only to the higher classes and old member who never had any problems before, and give invites to all members in the irc channel whom you got to know overtime.

You also mentioned that plan where you give 200 members referrals to use only at a certain day and at a certain hour. If you see any trade offers and invite selling going on in ebay/forums, then you know who to point your finger at.

jasperr
01-15-2009, 12:51 PM

staff should already be have invites ... O.o if not, then they shouldn't be staff imo.. lol

RedRansom
01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Public giveaways and private giveaways(there's some private trackers invite forums) can be meaningful cuz find a someone who member a tracker sometimes really hard.If you forbid members for giveaway how come we will register tracker, everybody dont have too much friend especailly into bittorrent network...

Ban the invite tree is not a answer cuz i am pretty sure traders always have a another(spare) account and i am sure they dont care ban cuz they already met with this pain.
But ban the invite tree cuz if someone respond about own invite tree and account he/she will invite only trusful ppl.

Ban invite tree again cuz cheating is an illness.Who can say members cheating for have slow connection.(we already saw some ppl used cheating tools at seedbox on hdbits :huh: Hdbits? i already know seed back on hdbits is really easy cuz all one have decent speed with seedbox or without cuz if you really into HD file format you must have decent speed, decent hardware (for playable),decent storage(for archive) who will download 40 Gb bluray movie with 1 mbit connection if you will with this connection this will tke 5 days with 7/24 leeching how you will seedback this file Huh? anywas this is not point of this article ....
i always hate cheaters and this is probably most reason to ban a whole country...

Well, this is another HUGE problem. I want to ask ppl if you jump hot a new torrent with seedbox and leech and seed only for buffer and when other seeds came and upload rate down delete this torrent and jump new hot file Huh is this really will help tracker? who care ?
I want to say something: if you dont want to seed at least seed long time what you love (for example a movie,video clip,game which file doesnt make sense) i think this is main soul to sharing....

hit and run is really a problem especailly if this is on seedbox...

my solution is give slot or wait time for one week if someone hit and ran

true what you said and if tracker owner allow giveaway like what i said at the begining you dont need to opening up
but everyone not familiar with bittorent forums and tracker...
What i want to say :I know i looked for 1 month for a demonoid registration code after 1 month they opened sign up at a friday night and i registered....
and look bitmetv.org they opened the doors when they ~20k and got 5 k new members and after 1-2 months what happened they left ~20-21k again but they got some members love , i already know someone was looking for 6 months for a bitmetv invite get a an invite to this traker was hard cuz everyone respondsible with invite...
But we already saw
*someone parked new account which got from sign up lol this was really funny
*some idiots tried to cheat and this was reason ban to Brazil and Portuguese
*someone only leeched tv packs only download 70 Gb and upload less than 1 gb Huh ?
well if you open sign up man y dupe and useless account you willl have

well these are my thought i just saw and wrote if this will help someone i am so glad...
and i want to say what the f*ck going on ?:ermm:
this topic posted yesterday and got 99 replied and some of post really bull $hit
yeah someone really love the spam ppl arguing...
FST staff really must do something i realy dont belive someone will read 99 post yeah maybe stoi will do cuz he want to know members thought about his topic but how come i will read 99 post ...
stop the spam!:ermm:

Sanka113
01-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Of course the obvious answer is going to be your friends. While, it be in real life and the internets. Of course after you've been around for awhile you're friends won't need anymore invites for you to share. So what's a person who wants to share invites to do? Some may do a giveaway so that they can attract a gaggle of potential invitees, some may just lurk around in people request threads and invite them in private. I personally like doing giveaways because I'm eager to see who I know, like, and trust that I can help out. Giveaways enable shy people, or people who don't want to look completly needy the ability to express their interest without really having to put themselves out there. The biggest criticisms of giveaways is that there are alot of "free sample" giveaways where it seems the person doing the giveaways is giving them away to anyone. The carefully done giveaways are done in such a fashion where the results aren't going to manifest themselves publically, thus the public won't know of what good has been done. All in all it just depends of the inviter and how much they care about their trackers.

mamacita
01-15-2009, 02:15 PM
well these are my thought i just saw and wrote if this will help someone i am so glad...
this topic posted yesterday and got 99 replied and some of post really bull $hit
FST staff really must do something i realy dont belive someone will read 99 post yeah maybe stoi will do cuz he want to know members thought about his topic but how come i will read 99 post ...
stop the spam!:ermm:

Actually your post is one of the few spam posts in this thread :ermm:

Most of us are having a decent conversation about a hot subject. So keep it on topic please :)

Night0wl
01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Well I'm not going to read through all this, but I have thought about this.. also before this topic even being posted.

What I would do if wanting as many good members as possible. First of all I would not hold members accountable for who they invite.

I would give every member in good standing a referral code every month (a maximum of 2 if not used). This referral code would not guarantee the one using it entry, but rather give him/her the chance to fill out an application.

The Application would include links to a few pages of stuff that the proposed member should read before becoming a member. After filling out the application and checking a box saying he/she had read the proposed material, a redirect would happen, pointing to a small questionnaire, which had 3 random questions (from a large pool of questions) best answered if actually having read the material.

If someone fails, the referral is gone i.e. no retries and said potential member would have to wait a month or get a referral elsewhere.

If passed the application would be entered into a queue. I would then have volunteers check every application. Volunteering to do this would give brownie points in some way. E.g. people who for some reason ended up with less than perfect ratio could redeem themselves by finding 20 good applicants (let's say at last 15 out of 20 in good standing after 3 weeks). Another could be look through 200 applications and be immune to deletion from inactivity or bad ratio. or 100 other possible scenarios.

People who did not do their homework and allowed above a certain % of bad members to join would be deemed useless and not only be disallowed from reviewing apps, but also would never be able to invite anyone ever again.

And last but not least. Have quite a few reviewers. At least 2 or 3 would have to approve. If one disapproved of an applicant, he/she would have to provide a valid reason (something which would have to be done by cooperation between staff on several sites), and this applicant would never be able to apply again.

If the member was not rejected but only didn't get enough yes votes after a certain period, lets say 2 days, he would be free to apply again at a later date.

Of course trusted members and staff would be able to invite regardless. When saying trusted members, I mean hand picked.

Funkin'
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
I haven't bothered to read through all 11 pages, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, it probably has though.

But if I were tracker staff, I would do what some of the trackers do and do applications. Sure, it may be more work than just simply handing out invites for people to use. But at least this way you'd be able to review each newcoming member to see if they're "good" or "bad". I think this is the best way to go about it.

mamacita
01-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Good ideas Blue_Skies (Heya btw, haven't talked with you in a looong time).

Your ideas kind of tie into the general idea of having some sort of group of recruiters or "reviewers" in your scheme of things.

I think this idea would work great, especially if they discussed potential members or had to vote, etc, like you mention.

Night0wl
01-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Good ideas Blue_Skies (Heya btw, haven't talked with you in a looong time).

Your ideas kind of tie into the general idea of having some sort of group of recruiters or "reviewers" in your scheme of things.

I think this idea would work great, especially if they discussed potential members or had to vote, etc, like you mention.

Hi yeah I haven't around too much. Busy busy busy.

Yes, a section would of course have to be set up only for reviewers, where is someone had relevant info on someone, they could post it. Maybe like a forum with threads, but only:

Desired username - date and time of application - no. of replies - no. of yes/no votes
Desired username - date and time of application - no. of replies - no. of yes/no votes

mamacita
01-15-2009, 03:48 PM
What I would love to see in conjunction with that is a follow up by recruiters analyzing an applicant's activity at other torrent sites.

Not just checking their ratio and post count, but how much they upload and download (every site needs good leechers), what quality their posts are, if any, etc.

About one of your other points...

Giving people incentives to review and recruit is great, but I'm not so sure it'll give the end result the site would be looking for (better new members). As soon as you put a reward on the end, people will stop caring how they go about achieving that reward.

Then again, you also mention a negative consequence for inviting bad users, and that could counterbalance this.

I'm just not so sure about letting the "troubled" users review in order to fix their woes. What kind of recruiter would a bad user really be?

Night0wl
01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Like I said, the options on finding reviewers are endless. Another option could be just allowing especially good users review.. but still that poses the question of what kind of brownie points they would benefit from.

Part of what I wrote there also goes against everything I believe about deleting for inactivity. I don't think any account in good standing should ever be deleted. Put it in inactive mode maybe, but not delete.

manbearpig
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
A very excellent thread.. We need more quality threads like this in FST. Now my 2 cents

I personally don't like the invite system at all. The invite system was started to reward good members of the tracker and by giving them invites so that they can give it to their friends etc. But now the whole concept of invites has changed. Most members already have invited their friends and all that extra invites which they have end up in giveaway threads and trade threads. IMHO people with invites give them away to increase the size of their e penis. I am not saying all but most of them :).

I agree with cabalo and others.. All trackers' doors should be closed. When they decide to invite people they should start some giveaway themselves or with the help of recruiters and invite as many people as they like. Abolish the invite system. Give good members upload gigs instead. As I said when u start giving people invites the whole trading scamming thing starts. The staff can follow whatever procedure they like to give someone a invite. But in this case too (as many already stated) one can never stop the influx of cheaters etc but this is a more efficient way IMO.

Also I feel when the staff decides to recruit people the process should be very fair to all sections of members. I see many at times that ppl who have seedboxes have an edge over others even though that particular trakcer doesn't need ownership of a sb.. (a different story altogether :P)

Anywaz no offense to all the good members of fst who giveaway invites because they actually care about new members.. Rock on guyz :)

SoulEdge01
01-15-2009, 04:14 PM
A secure private tracker is always a good thing.

manbearpig
01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
hmm private chat.. seems fishy.. :naughty:

interwebz
01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
site owners need to have trusted staff that can bring some people in if the opportunity presents itself but unless a tracker is brand new or in dire need to get new people i dont think a recruiter should ever be needed on a site. with that said the majority of new members should come from referrals, i dont agree with people having random invites sitting on their accounts to do with whatever they please.

K4BS
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I am new here on FST and just getting back into torrent sites after a long time of solely relying on usenet for my needs. I've noticed that some of the sites that I used to use are now closed and very difficult if not imposible to get into.

Anyway my piont is that from my side of the fence it would be nice to be given a chance to prove myself and probably for many other people that want to get into certain trackers too.

Saying that would it be possible some how to make all new users prove themselves by uploading say 10-20GB before they can download anything at all? I realise this would be difficult because without the new user having any files downloaded first they would obviously not be able to seed. I can't think of a way around that off the top of my head atm but if it were possible in some way I think the thought of having to upload 10-20GB before gaing access to any torrents would put off many undesirables and dupe accounts would not be of much value to people either as they would be useless untill the upload requirement is reached.

SoulEdge01
01-15-2009, 06:25 PM
site owners need to have trusted staff that can bring some people in if the opportunity presents itself but unless a tracker is brand new or in dire need to get new people i dont think a recruiter should ever be needed on a site. with that said the majority of new members should come from referrals, i dont agree with people having random invites sitting on their accounts to do with whatever they please.

Yeah, you are right, I agree.

Cabalo
01-15-2009, 06:46 PM
hmm private chat.. seems fishy.. :naughty:

I want to chat with stoi because a chat allows for real time communication and it has to be private because it doenst concern anybody else on FST.
good luck for your invite request :shifty:

Time-Traveller
01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm a dirty cheat but I've got a good excuse (excuse not reason)

I'm all for honesty and that but seriously dude you post that confession in a thread by the site owner at which you cheated designed to provoke ideas on how to get rid of users like you from trackers for good and expect to be invited to the site again.

WTG Goose, if you get back I'll eat my hat ! ;)

johall
01-15-2009, 07:50 PM
honestly there is no 100% way i mean people could be the biggest cheats but still appear as a good user or a great user maybe with a bad connection could appear as a bad one...its the internet sadly you cant really trust many people if any at all

and thats just on the seeding ratio side of things

i do think that people who invite need to be much more aware of the invitees once on they are on the site and if something goes wrong they cant be afraid to alert staff just cause some rule says they will be banned for inviting a bad user or something im sure the staff would be happier you alerted them instead of them having to find out themselves....but i may be wrong idk im not a staff member nor have i ever been put in that situation

Time-Traveller
01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
honestly there is no 100% way i mean people could be the biggest cheats but still appear as a good user or a great user maybe with a bad connection could appear as a bad one...its the internet sadly you cant really trust many people if any at all

The internet: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents

johall
01-15-2009, 08:17 PM

The internet: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents

lol no thats irc

integral
01-15-2009, 08:27 PM

lol no thats irc

yes and IRC isn't on the Internet... :frusty:

SoulEdge01
01-15-2009, 11:12 PM

Yeah.

Time-Traveller
01-15-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm all for honesty and that but seriously dude you post that confession in a thread by the site owner at which you cheated designed to provoke ideas on how to get rid of users like you from trackers for good and expect to be invited to the site again.

WTG Goose, if you get back I'll eat my hat ! ;)

You two are not offending me because I deserve the flames I'm receiving and I know it, the fact is you don't know me and don't know to what extend I "cheated", sometimes people misbehave and that is normal and you or anybody else here isn't an exception, just because you don't "cheat" on a torrent site doesn't mean you're Mr. Perfect who cannot have a misbehavior in other aspects of life and about posting in this thread I'm doing it because I really regret that "cheating" and I'm serious about it. Also I'm not looking for an invite since I already have an account at BCG.

Nobody is claiming to be Mr Perfect, I work hard to maintain my ratio's on my 16/1 home connection I take pride in it actually and when I hear about ratio cheating it annoys me it goes against everything the true spirit of filesharing is all about, filesharing is my hobby, it's been a part of my life for a very very long time & I'm talking about days before there's were mobile phones & internet for the general public

I just genuinely care about the sites I'm committed too and don't want to see them polluted, by cheats, traders, hit n runners and other tardish behaviour

SoulEdge01
01-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Interesting proposals have been posted on this thread. Very interesting thread.

zoeygirly
01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
If i was running a tracker/site and i wanted to recruit new "good" users i'd simply give invites to good users that have been on the site for over a year (older site), six months (younger site)without any problems, issues, etc. Not necessarily power users or super users whatever because a lot of times these kids have seed boxes and can be super crazy users in a freaking week and that says nothing about them as an actual member.
It's the long term members that you want helping to recruit. IMO

Tinfish
01-16-2009, 12:07 AM
true, even some of them will still surprise you, but the vast majority will at least obey your invite rules.
did anyone actually mention what defines a good user in the first place ?

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 12:16 AM
true, even some of them will still surprise you, but the vast majority will at least obey your invite rules.
did anyone actually mention what defines a good user in the first place ?

I think different people take different attributes into consideration based on their own usage habits. Personally I go for the following, taken from the 5th post in this thread:

I'd go for number of torrents upladed, contribution to the community (helpfulness in forums, financial donation etc) length of membership & total seed time instead of GB's uploaded.

Sanka113
01-16-2009, 12:26 AM
I didn't really read the FP before i made my first post, but after reading a few more post here I have decided that an application process would be the best way to invite someone. The application's main purpose shouldn't be to reviewed by staff but to insure that the inviter gets to know their invitee. The app/invite should include where that person is from, how'd they use the tracker, Profile stats from 3 or more other "quality" trackers ( provided by them pming the inviter from the site they are using as proof), what's their upload/download speed, and finally, where did they meet that person.

The application itself WONT be reviewed unless infractions are made against the invitee's account. If the inviters invitee's application looks shitty (and thus led that person to be a bad member) then you lose a point against your account. THe points deducted against your account will cause you to lose invites, special privelages, or ultimately your account.

With something like this in place it will allow people to get to know the person they invite or face the consequences.

johall
01-16-2009, 12:48 AM
I think different people take different attributes into consideration based on their own usage habits. Personally I go for the following, taken from the 5th post in this thread:

I'd go for number of torrents upladed, contribution to the community (helpfulness in forums, financial donation etc) length of membership & total seed time instead of GB's uploaded.

i agree except for the torrents upped because not everyone has stuff to add but they do help just as much by keeping the torrents upped by others alive as long as possible etc. but otherwise spot on

Alien5
01-16-2009, 01:01 AM
invite new users to join a holding area forum with the promise of getting into a VIP area, new users have to make 500 serious posts before allowing them into the VIP site, or deciding to let them some other way.

in the vip site have a small group of the people you trust allready, but they use the holding area forum too so the new users can see their stars and makes newbs want to become vips. :shifty:

7th
01-16-2009, 02:43 AM
Profile stats from other "quality" trackers? My first closed tracker was bitme, from someone I don't "really" know but I was all good intention. And it was really hard to get that invite.

I'm brazilian, slow connections and, at first, it was hard to keep the ratio but you don't mess with something that was hard to get and that you really use and like (need).

The bad in all of this is that having a collection of good trackers means "status" everywhere and try harder trackers is quite challenging and addicting until you discover that you don't need more than 3 or 4 trackers or even that you don't have time to be a good user in 10 trackers. Whith lots of unused trackers, you know what comes next...

In this case I must say that my slow connections came for good as I never had many trackers. I admit I got some opensignups just to see "what's inside the box" and never came back, but no mess with those accounts too and here I "try" to show my respect to those trackers that I simple didn't like.

Ah, and I got my bitme account for free, because one guy was nice to me, so why don't be nice to others too? 3 invites to 3 "internet nice guys", and all of them swore that they would never cheat. Today I'm a happy VIP user with no invites, thanks to the nice bitme staff that spared my account.

As a christian I have a christian tracker account and is really annoying to think that some people get invites there (even saying they're christians when they are not) just for trades or who knows what! =/

Because all of this and much, much more I'm a more realistic guy today. Don't know how to get just good users.

I have (or think I still have) a parked account at bitmetv for months now. How could I blame them for blocking my entire country? Is it fair? Cheating is not fair too and that tracker have good reasons for what they did.

At the end, I can't thing about anything that could be totally fair to everybody, good and bad users. =/

btw, this is a really nice topic!

Sanka113
01-16-2009, 04:05 AM
Like I said my suggestion is basically there as an after the fact resource. Meaning, basically the app is just an invite that people have to put some effort into getting to know their invitee before they generate it. It is only if the inviter invites a bad member (cheater, trader, etc.) that the application actually will be reviewed. Based on the quality of the responses on the application they can see if the inviter actually put any effort into the application or not. If it seems that the inviter put a half-assed effort into the application and if they keep inviting losers, then they face consequences.

Now, the reason I put in things like speed and stats from quality trackers, I meant them to be there as benchmarks. If the invitee has X speed and has Dl/ul x amount from x trackers, when he gets invited and then he gets caught for cheating then it means that it's possible that the inviter wasn't putting any attention into that persons stats. The quality of a tracker is relative to what kind of tracker that my invite policy would be invited too . IE if your running a community tracker than stats from the big F's and whatnot could be considered quality.

mamacita
01-16-2009, 04:26 AM
invite new users to join a holding area forum with the promise of getting into a VIP area, new users have to make 500 serious posts before allowing them into the VIP site, or deciding to let them some other way.

in the vip site have a small group of the people you trust allready, but they use the holding area forum too so the new users can see their stars and makes newbs want to become vips. :shifty:

This could have good and bad side effects, but honestly it works better than you might think.

It often happens that the newbs, in their extreme desire to achieve that which is beyond their grasp or considered "golden," will totally transform into model examples of a good user for whatever community it might be.

Sure, there will be those who never get it, and only fake at being good. But there are lots and lots of people who, if given the right role models and supervision, can become excellent community members and contributors.

That is why I made the random suggestion of having a sister or "dummy" site earlier in this thread.

Sanka113
01-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Basically, this is what people do at smaller BT forums. If your looking to recruit members of a forum FST is probably not the best place to start.

zoeygirly
01-16-2009, 05:27 AM
I definitely do not agree with this "application" stuff--if a site can't trust it's long-term members/staff/mods etc to give out invites then who can you trust? Might as well just open signups and roll the dice. :P

Also, when we are talking about "good" members i don't think it should be restricted to "500" posts or "uploading amounts", "donation" etc. A good member is a member that follows the sites rules and contributes the best they can in whichever way they can. Period.

7th
01-16-2009, 10:54 AM
I definitely do not agree with this "application" stuff--if a site can't trust it's long-term members/staff/mods etc to give out invites then who can you trust? Might as well just open signups and roll the dice. :P

and knowing about this application, the user could tend to know just about the needful (or substantial) infos about the invited while the "yet non-users" will tend to 'act' like if they where in a interview for a new job... don't know.

Also, when we are talking about "good" members i don't think it should be restricted to "500" posts or "uploading amounts", "donation" etc. A good member is a member that follows the sites rules and contributes the best they can in whichever way they can. Period.

Agreed. There should be life beyound internet :P
If you work, study, have a girlfriend/wife... if you have a normal life, you'll never have time for all of this. Maybe you'll find time to keep in touch with the tracker you like most, maybe two and no more.

And if we have like 4 or 5 trackers, we'll always end up not being a active user in some of them, which I assume that is not so good (as it could be) to the community, even if I keep good ratios and follow all rules.

Tinfish
01-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I like people who post, forums/irc

of course i also know many dont like to for theyre own reason, and are still good users.

i think most will agree that they need to be active (in some way) and obey your rules. anything else is a bonus.

cinephilia
01-16-2009, 08:15 PM

Good point, meant to mention that myself. I'd love to see recruiting done in active forums that have nothing to do with torrenting. Of course, those people recruited from these places would need a little "hand holding" at first.
I totally agree - so far, i invited 3 persons to KG from a yahoo! group dedicated to independent movies and all i can say is that they turned out to be good members in the longer term (after a bit of "torrent education" of course).

RedRansom
01-16-2009, 10:22 PM
stop the spam!:ermm:Actually your post is one of the few spam posts in this thread :ermm:

Most of us are having a decent conversation about a hot subject. So keep it on topic please :)
O'Really:dabs:
Next time plz read carefully(if you did you would see what was my thought and i wrote in quote) someones post and write somethig "usefull" that is exactly what i was talking about and now "spamming" oneself...
edit
At least my last post is not class of spamming cuz someone can get something usefull :ermm: like "read someones post if you will write a target post"....
edit
Well, that was why i wrote my thoughts with different fonts and dont think to you will read this edit too but I wanted to edit my post cuz i already started to think i spammed enough (for me) and look like stoi far away from the topic....

mamacita
01-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Just for future reference RedRansom, its not a good idea to write what you want to say within a quote of someone else. I'm not about to read through a quote of a post i've already read.

Anyways, my indignation was at the fact that you claim that most of the posts in this thread were spam only because you saw there were lots of posts in very little time.

I beg to differ

Lovestoned
01-17-2009, 03:43 AM
I totally agree - so far, i invited 3 persons to KG from a yahoo! group dedicated to independent movies and all i can say is that they turned out to be good members in the longer term (after a bit of "torrent education" of course).

I've been having hard times finding good members like what you've said to KG since not much of the human beings really really love indie movies.

If you've got a few to recommend then do tell me through PM, I'll be likely to invite them to KG after a small interview.
I'm PU on KG if you were wondering. :)

Albo Da Kid
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Just for future reference RedRansom, its not a good idea to write what you want to say within a quote of someone else. I'm not about to read through a quote of a post i've already read.

Anyways, my indignation was at the fact that you claim that most of the posts in this thread were spam only because you saw there were lots of posts in very little time.

I beg to differ

Mamacita he had lot valid points in his reply, and he dedicated his time to write a realistic response to stoi's question.
Randsom is right, next time dedicate more time to reading the whole post before assuming it's spam.

mamacita
01-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Like I said, why would I read through a quote of a post I've already read? I don't have the time to sit and be a forum freak.

I'm sorry I missed what he said within the quote, but what i said still stands. He bashed the thread, and there's tons of constructive posts in the thread.

SoulEdge01
01-20-2009, 12:35 AM
BCG is an example of how a private tracker should be run.

stoi
01-20-2009, 12:53 AM
I am the softest staff member that we have, so if i did not have any other staff, or i debated every decision/overruled them, no one would get banned full stop, i am all for give them 1 more chance, that punishment was a bit harsh wasnt it.

But I need staff like Cirno and Pezby who are sticklers for the rules and wont take any crap from anyone, if i did not have staff like those, then the site would be a complete mess, even i can see that.

and as most people knows, Cheating stats on a tracker, is probably the worst sin you can do, so it deserves an outright ban.

Villalltheway
01-20-2009, 01:34 AM
stoi, I already apologized, but I guess all you want for me is to "stop bothering you with the matter" and yeah I will do but all I want is to have a more detailed conversation on the matter and to make you some proposals since this only concerns the BCG staff(you) and me, your staff is very good and makes the right decisions I like them, you told me I should speak to Cirno about it and I would like to but I realize that it is useless to speak with him because he is more tough than you are and the reason for that is that he has to be since some of his actions are being monitored by you. Whatever the result of the conversation is, I will "stop bothering you".

omg are u still moaning about bcg, dude serious u need to get over it and move on.

SoulEdge01
01-20-2009, 01:35 AM
:frusty:

stoi
01-20-2009, 01:37 AM
But i have already gave you my answer, talk to cirno but i do not think you will get back in.

Cirno is a Sysop, I am a Sysop, we are both the same rank, so i trust him and i will not override him, especially when you yourself has admitted that you cheated anyway.

Villalltheway
01-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Yeah, that is why I said they are more tough than you are, I understand you and you are right, I'm just asking for 2 or 3 minutes of your time to chat, that is all, it is nothing special.

why what will that achieve, maybe ever person who lost their account should have a chat to and get there accounts back.

SoulEdge01
01-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Cool.

stoi
01-20-2009, 01:48 AM
you may think i give a damn as well, which i dont.

Cabalo
01-20-2009, 01:48 AM
SoulEdge, you should quickly forget about this.
You might anger Stoi, and as he said recently, now they do the extra mile to report cheaters to other trackers.
so you are risking a lot doing that.

SoulEdge01
01-20-2009, 01:53 AM
Yeah, thats dangerous.

Cabalo
01-20-2009, 01:55 AM
you may think i give a damn as well, which i dont.

I'm not telling you should give a damn.
i think you didn't quite understand the message i was trying to pass you, but i'll rephrase it for you, in good old fashioned english:

for your own sake, you should STFU and GTFO ASAP.

Villalltheway
01-20-2009, 01:57 AM
for your own sake, you should STFU and GTFO ASAP.

could not of said it better, been trying to tell this guy, but he just dont want to listen. Its like his life has ended since he has lost bcg.

stoi
01-20-2009, 01:58 AM
lol

I just seen your account, tbh that is how much i give a shit, i havnt even looked at your account until now.

you even tried to get askew1 to change the decision, but he never believed a word of it, problem with your client wasnt it, even though, you already admited you cheated in here so hmm, lies and cheating.

SoulEdge01
01-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Everybody happy.

Villalltheway
01-20-2009, 02:04 AM
:noes:omg :frusty::frusty::frusty:

SoulEdge01
01-20-2009, 03:20 AM
Game over.

Cabalo
01-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Alright, I give up, I surrender.
took you long...

hitokiri03
01-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Stoi

Your invite system was a good idea but is to several sometimes. for example, my referee invite two traders and the two traders was banned my referee got + 200Gb down in your account and I got + 100Gb. When I see that I got + 100Gb I said “WTF S*** happened” after that I talk with Cirno and my referee and know the whole thing. On beginning I said “it's ok’’ but latter I start to think “It was not that fair, I can't control who him invited, this is out of my heads” I only invite two persons because I don’t want hurt my account but now I know that people that them invite can hurt my account to.

That's freak me out :fear:

stoi
01-21-2009, 10:04 PM
So you would rather we just ban you then?

7th
01-21-2009, 10:17 PM
is there a problem in BCG if you simply don't invite new people? I mean, if you simply ignore the fact that you have invites?

Albo Da Kid
01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Stoi

Your invite system was a good idea but is to several sometimes. for example, my referee invite two traders and the two traders was banned my referee got + 200Gb down in your account and I got + 100Gb. When I see that I got + 100Gb I said “WTF S*** happened” after that I talk with Cirno and my referee and know the whole thing. On beginning I said “it's ok’’ but latter I start to think “It was not that fair, I can't control who him invited, this is out of my heads” I only invite two persons because I don’t want hurt my account but now I know that people that them invite can hurt my account to.

That's why giving invites out in public forums is not a good idea. Most of the users being invited are traders or cheaters.

If you want to help someone in a public forum like fst, then get to know him first via msn etc..., understand his intentions and then invite him in. I learned that fast public giveaways which rely on screenshots and proofs, are not the way to go if you want to help the tracker.

Cabalo
01-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Stoi

you should had got the boot, honestly.
next time learn to not give around your invites to people you don't know, just to buil a rep ( :unsure: ).

hitokiri03
01-21-2009, 11:21 PM
So you would rather we just ban you then?

Of course not, I love BCG, is the best tracker for old and rare games and the community is pretty strong, I’ll make 2 years that I on the tracker \o/
But I was expecting warning saying something like “Your referee invite bad users watch yourself you invites are suspended for 1 year”
My concern is about the future I warn my outer referee about that who hin invite but everyone could make mistakes like the other one did.

is there a problem in BCG if you simply don't invite new people? I mean, if you simply ignore the fact that you have invites?
I never do that, it was the fist time that I gave invites, and that was a BAD idea.

That's why giving invites out in public forums is not a good idea. Most of the users being invited are traders or cheaters.

If you want to help someone in a public forum like fst, then get to know him first via msn etc..., understand his intentions and then invite him in. I learned that fast public giveaways which rely on screenshots and proofs, are not the way to go if you want to help the tracker.

I think that my friend gave Invites on public forums or something lake that or bad friends.

next time learn to not give around your invites to people you don't know, just to buil a rep ( :unsure: ).
I not do that, was my friend that gave the BCG invite to traders ¬¬

I not a newbie, but my friend unfortunately was :/

pone44
01-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Real life friends, that you see daily,weekly-in person are not good with private Bt- If that is who you gave your invite to? Some get greedy i guess and start to want what they do not have. They end up with nothing and lose a friend also,possibly?

hitokiri03
01-21-2009, 11:50 PM
I think that to pone44

But surprisily he was doing ok with ratio, up, down etc… but was and the “invite thing” that he screw :/

Cabalo
01-22-2009, 12:36 AM

Your friend "gave" the invite to traders. LOL :lol:
and i was saying that you are lucky YOU didn't get the boot.

pone44
01-22-2009, 12:39 AM
I do not understand?

I think that to pone44

But surprisily he was doing ok with ratio, up, down etc… but was and the “invite thing” that he screw :/

hitokiri03
01-22-2009, 01:22 AM
I do not understand?

I think that to pone44

I was agreeing with you about this

Real life friends, that you see daily,weekly-in person are not good with private Bt- If that is who you gave your invite to? Some get greedy i guess and start to want what they do not have. They end up with nothing and lose a friend also,possibly?
But decide to give a shot and invite a friend but unfortunately don’t go well.

Sorry for I don’t express right.

Your friend "gave" the invite to traders. LOL :lol:
and i was saying that you are lucky YOU didn't get the boot.

I was especially referring that part that sounds like I gave the invite to anyone, but I got your point about the boot part.

7th
01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
I never do that, it was the fist time that I gave invites, and that was a BAD idea.

Hitokiri, I was not blaming you for what you did. ;) I think that trackers induce (motivate) or somehow cause users to invite new people (with lots of invites, bonus for inviting good people or whatever). :huh:

Everybody knows that if those two users you invited were good users, that would be pretty good for the track. :lol: But, if something goes wrong... argh :blink:

So, if the risk is all yours and nothing bad will ever happen to you if you don't use your invites, why would you take it?

With time I just came to admit that I was not good with invites. I simply don't use them. :shutup:

Now I have one question for Stoi and any other Admins:

Have you ever invited someone who turned to be a bad user?
I'm almost sure you did because you invite lot's of people. I'm almost sure because of the name of this topic.

Let's admit. This is not a simple task and someone already said. This is "always" risky.

If a admin invite a bad user, the bad user get banned. :naughty:
If a good user invite a bad user, both suffers? :frusty:

Again, I'm not defending the action of inviting anyone. :noes: I'm just asking if this is the best thing to do with those cases. Like pushing the "proved good user" against the wall like forever :P

protecteur
01-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Stoi I was a member on your site and I put my account in park and left for a six month deployment with the Canadian Navy on HMCS Iroquois to the Persian Gulf. When I came back from deployment I discovered my account got deleted. I had a good ratio and was woundering how do I go about in getting my account back. It wasn't my fault that i couldn't use the site while I was deployed. A few of my friends at Ntorrents told me to get a hold of you.

Thanks

Protecteur

stoi
01-23-2009, 12:43 AM
parking your account gives you 90 days or 3 months.

you were away for 6.

if you knew you were going to be away for 6, you should have sent a message to the staff box and maybe we could have helped you out somehow at the time, but i am sorry to say that your account is long gone.

protecteur
01-23-2009, 12:47 AM
How would I go about in getting a new account? I was a good member with a good ratio. I wish I would of known that paking the account was only for 90 days. I guest thats what happens when the military tells you pack your bag you only have 5 days and you ship out! I was in hurry and most likely didn't notice it was only for 90 days.

Thanks

Protecteur

stoi
01-23-2009, 01:01 AM
you will have to wait until referrals are back on the site, or i do another giveaway.

you "could" come into our IRC and just chat in the waiting room, just dont go on about loosing your account and you want another one type thing, and maybe you will get lucky.

protecteur
01-23-2009, 01:09 AM
cool thanks!!

elya9
01-26-2009, 04:38 AM
Give ppl with some minimum qualifying elgibility criteria imited access membership and let them prove themselves.