PDA

View Full Version : Unrarred torrents

vic
01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
How come more sites are not encouraging unrarred uploads ?

i know it's not scene and everything - fuck the scene.

it guarantees that people will seed longer since they don't have to rar the game\movie\app and keep the Rar files as long with the unrarred files.

just want to hear your opinion.

ShadowsServant
01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Specialized sites do encourage unrarred uploads: BMTV and TvT.ro for example. General trackers keep them intact most of the time.

ghurka
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
The logic is that if you download one file whether it's iso, avi or whatever and there is a corruption in there then you have to re-download the whole file again. If on the other hand it's broken down into rars then you only have to download the one rar file that's corrupted. Big difference if you have to re-download a 4GB iso compared to a 47MB rar file.

danio
01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
The logic is that if you download one file whether it's iso, avi or whatever and there is a corruption in there then you have to re-download the whole file again. If on the other hand it's broken down into rars then you only have to download the one rar file that's corrupted. Big difference if you have to re-download a 4GB iso compared to a 47MB rar file.

well you don't have to worry about corrupted files with bittorrent since it have it's own built-in checksums and if a piece isn't matching the checksum, it will be automatically redownloaded.

i have a solution to the OP's problem though. don't unrar the stuff until you're gonna use it. if it's a movie for example, extract it when you want to watch it, then delete the extracted files afterwards.

however, i do agree that it is more convenient to have it unrarred already when you download it. but remember that that means more work for the uploaders. 0day sites would never implement this since they would lose minutes in pre-times.

and you said fuck the scene? tell me, how much of what you download is scene releases, and how much is actually p2p releases? that's right.. don't say "fuck the scene" when you're downloading their stuff.

pone44
01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Good point ghurka.

Never thought of it like that.

flashback3r
01-14-2009, 11:14 PM
If they are 0day trackers they have scene stuff. And I think it is understandable they have it in rars then, because that's the way it is.

But other sites where non scene rls are allowed you see the unrared material ;)

If you hate the scene and their ways. Stop downloading it. Join a good p2p tracker instead then with their own rls.

vic
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM

well you don't have to worry about corrupted files with bittorrent since it have it's own built-in checksums and if a piece isn't matching the checksum, it will be automatically redownloaded.

i have a solution to the OP's problem though. don't unrar the stuff until you're gonna use it. if it's a movie for example, extract it when you want to watch it, then delete the extracted files afterwards.

however, i do agree that it is more convenient to have it unrarred already when you download it. but remember that that means more work for the uploaders. 0day sites would never implement this since they would lose minutes in pre-times.

and you said fuck the scene? tell me, how much of what you download is scene releases, and how much is actually p2p releases? that's right.. don't say "fuck the scene" when you're downloading their stuff.

you didn't get the last part.

noAxx
01-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Scene formatting is a pain - which is why I tend to enjoy those "uber 1337" 0day sites that everybody here seems to get hard for. The truth is, if you wait long enough, most of that same content will eventually be formatted for playability on one of the larger non-scene general trackers like Demonoid or RarBG or Zamunda. Of course, I've always been more interested in using bt obtain stuff I can't simply get on Amazon or Netflix. So for me, it is less of an issue since many of the sites that have what I like (CG, KG, SC) are 95%+ user rips, and are thus naturally in playable/burnable formats.

Brenya
01-15-2009, 02:51 AM
it guarantees that people will seed longer since they don't have to rar the game\movie\app and keep the Rar files as long with the unrarred files.
That's a good point and to me is reason enough.

You beat me to it. :) Uncompressed, split archives are worthless for bittorrent.
On the other hand, for FTP, which doesn't have built-in validation, it is extremely helpful. Last time I checked, the Scene uses SFTP to trade with each other... so this may be the reason why we see all the scene releases archived... even the smallest of programs like PowerISO (a program that I hate for CRCing my Windows XP cds :angry:).

Consider the scene as the "haves" and the torrenters as the "have nots". The people who distribute the scene releases are modern-day Robin Hoods. The poor thank Robin Hood, even though the wealth originates from the aristocracy. They hate the aristocracy for not sharing their inherited wealth, and become only more indignant when they actually gain access to the aristocrat's wealth through Robin Hood.

csonbot
01-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Another good thing about rarring is the ability to use sfv files. It's nice to launch quicksfv to check the files in the event of some strange hard drive activity (ie it's dying or copying the files over to an older hard drive).

Polarbear
01-15-2009, 03:51 AM
the main reason why files are rared, is because split files can be raced faster from one scene ftp site to another. on ftp only one person can have access to a file. splitting a file in several rars means more people can contribute to the race, maximize the speed so that the sites get the releases faster.
it has nothing to do with bittorrent and little with corrupt files. it's a method to optimize the transfer between scene ftp servers. by splitting files you can max out the existing bandwith and achieve non-singular transfers.
everyone who's ever fxp'd to another server should confirm this.

most fast bittorrent sites have automated uploads and server hd space is limited. unraring would mean marginal slower pretimes and more hd space.

it's not necessary for bittorrent. i appreciate sites like hdbits or bitmetv that do the service for their users and upload the releases unrared. on the other hand there are people who like to race trackers and they'd prefer them rared.

besides the pretimes and "more work for the uploader" argument, there's no real reason for rars with bittorrent.

@op "fuck the scene" is indeed a nice approach for someone who leeches their files without contributing. 90% of all bittorrent trackers would be dead without the scene. this topic has been discussed many times before by the way.

nethawk
01-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Play your movies with XBMC, Winmount, or any other rar player. So there is no need to extract the movies, unless you want to burn it and play it on a standalone DivX player.

cinephilia
01-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Play your movies with XBMC, Winmount, or any other rar player. So there is no need to extract the movies, unless you want to burn it and play it on a standalone DivX player.
Dziobas Rar Player is also a good alternative.

Funkin'
01-15-2009, 06:45 AM
I actually love grabbing torrents that are rar'd. It saves in space, and only takes a second or two to extract. So I personally don't see the big deal in it.

Detale
01-15-2009, 06:50 AM
WOW fuck the scene huh. Dude they get us all the goods man. it's not like Im ripping, capping and uploading that stuff. I always thought trackers left it like that for some kind of securit reason or something :idunno:

piratebot
01-15-2009, 07:16 AM
I actually love grabbing torrents that are rar'd. It saves in space, and only takes a second or two to extract. So I personally don't see the big deal in it.
if you're dling scene stuff then you're not saving space.

vic
01-15-2009, 09:19 AM
jesus guys you really misunderstood the whole fuck the scene issue.

i didn't mean it like that, what i meant was that scene is no excuse for torrent sites using rarred releases.

and PB i think that keeping more seeders ( if at all ) on the file is much more important then stupid pre times ( on torrent sites of course ).

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 09:50 AM
vic, if I'm not wrong the scene releases weren't meant for the trackers themselves so they don't care about getting pretimes for trackers or whatsoever I guess.

Files can get corrupted easily if they are too big, RAR is definetely a safer way.

There's both pros and cons for the scene to use RAR 2.0 but the pros has definetely overcame the cons.

vic
01-15-2009, 10:15 AM
vic, if I'm not wrong the scene releases weren't meant for the trackers themselves so they don't care about getting pretimes for trackers or whatsoever I guess.

Files can get corrupted easily if they are too big, RAR is definetely a safer way.

There's both pros and cons for the scene to use RAR 2.0 but the pros has definetely overcame the cons.

but torrent trackers are not the scene.

they are not using ftp servers.

and they need people to seed longer then what they are today.

Polarbear
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM

no they can't. the whole rars are better on bittorrent because of corrupted file is nonsense. i don't know who started this false information, but you still see it posted in every rar or unrar thread.

data integrity and recovery is built in the bt protocol, you don't need an extra layer.

it uses an sha-1 hash code for each received piece of data. you'll always get exactly the same what was initially uploaded to the tracker.

if you end up with corrupted files, you either have faulty hardware or the file was corrupt before even uploaded.

also almost all scene rars are archived, but not compressed. you don't save hd space.

Sanka113
01-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I used to hate Rar'd files until I started FTping back to my home computer from my seedbox. Split file+ multiple threads = maximum speed for my connection. Now, I prefer rar'd files over the standalone files and will only download them after I've rar'd them myself.

vic
01-15-2009, 10:32 AM

no they can't. the whole rars are better on bittorrent because of corrupted file is nonsense. i don't know who started this false information, but you still see it posted in every rar or unrar thread.

data integrity and recovery is built in the bt protocol, you don't need an extra layer.

it uses an sha-1 hash code for each received piece of data. you'll always get exactly the same what was initially uploaded to the tracker.

if you end up with corrupted files, you either have faulty hardware or the file was corrupt before even uploaded.

also almost all scene rars are archived, but not compressed. you don't save hd space.

haven't seen an error on Bit-HDTV and they only allow unrarred files.

Polarbear
01-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I used to hate Rar'd files until I started FTping back to my home computer from my seedbox. Split file+ multiple threads = maximum speed for my connection. Now, I prefer rar'd files over the standalone files and will only download them after I've rar'd them myself.

most people would even be able to max out thier home connection with a single file. it depends where your server is, where you live and how fast your connection is. that would be a question for seedbox users.

but imagine you would transfer huge amounts of data between gbit servers all over the world. that's why the files are rared.

still, this has nothing to do with bittorrent.

Something Else
01-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Most of the content I download is unrared. It depends where you get it from.

To be fair, I hardy ever download any scene releases.

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 11:23 AM
but torrent trackers are not the scene.

they are not using ftp servers.

and they need people to seed longer then what they are today.

Isn't the content from 0day trackers from P2L?

I always thought P2L was a high speed FTP server.

But it's always better to download them in small files, technology is advancing and processors now can unpack big files in seconds so it's fine for me.

If you really want trackers to all have unpacked files then you'll need to wait for a renown tracker to do the first move.

Well, if I'm not wrong all the RARs by the scene has recovery for each of the file on the pack.

I don't see what's there to compress for files other than ISO which is a raw format.
Movies in XviD wouldn't be compressed much with RAR since it's already compressed so you're definitely correct.

If you're desperate for unRAR'ed formats you can go to Warez-BB and get a Megashares premium then?
Saves you time and the VIP 'aeckz' uploads all the scene releases in a few minutes time onto Megashares as a single file.

vic
01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
@AniStoned

P2L = Pay to Leech. ( unless it's a new acronym i'm not aware of )

KushBlow
01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
A prime example:

TL = P2L (in a way) :lol:

EDIT: And the scene tracker DO use FTPs although to an extent. Group affil FTPs are common, but there are other methods for leeching such as DC++, IRC, even HTTP (huh? :p).

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
@AniStoned

Nono, I know the meaning.

I'm talking about how they transfer files.

I always thought trackers used FTP ways to transfer files to their own server automatically and generate a torrent to put on the torrent page.

I'm not a newb so I definitely know what that means.

vic
01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
@AniStoned

Nono, I know the meaning.

I'm talking about how they transfer files.

I always thought trackers used FTP ways to transfer files to their own server automatically and generate a torrent to put on the torrent page.

I'm not a newb so I definitely know what that means.

usually the uploaders do it and not the tracker, but yea they are using ftp to get the releases from the topsites. ;)

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Really? I'm sure 0day trackers all have automated scripts, too much stuffs to do it manually.

And also if they accidentally break small RAR file they can always manually download it and override it.

If they are downloading a big file and it breaks, then it's game over for the pretime race.

Alien5
01-15-2009, 12:19 PM

you mean uploaders not trackers?

vic
01-15-2009, 12:26 PM

you mean uploaders not trackers?

again, uploaders do the uploads.

trackers have scripts for their uploaders to make it easier and faster to upload.

some sites are using FTP and scripts to make it even more easier.

Sanka113
01-15-2009, 12:29 PM
most people would even be able to max out thier home connection with a single file. it depends where your server is, where you live and how fast your connection is. that would be a question for seedbox users.

but imagine you would transfer huge amounts of data between gbit servers all over the world. that's why the files are rared.

still, this has nothing to do with bittorrent.

Yeah it does. It means that if you're at a tracker like bitmetv where they have single file content than maybe one should look elsewhere if they're looking to FTP from their seedbox. :)

Lovestoned
01-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh, my presumption of totally automated 0day trackers have been wrong then? :unsure:

The_Martinator
01-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, but you can't say trackers don't have unrared content. You just have to know where to look.
PTN has some and so do HDbits and BitHDTV (the last two have allmost everything unrared).
That said, don't excpect 0day trackers to have it.

vic
01-15-2009, 01:02 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, but you can't say trackers don't have unrared content. You just have to know where to look.
PTN has some and so do HDbits and BitHDTV (the last two have allmost everything unrared).
That said, don't excpect 0day trackers to have it.

i don't think it is too much to ask :ermm: