PDA

View Full Version : Waffles site policy

soulreaper
01-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Hello all. Waffles has a thread that has a list of torrent sites in which a lot of these "secret" sites have their urls listed out with their abbreviations. The reason that's stated is this "Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private."

I like Waffles and I think it's a nice place to post, but if some sites don't want their urls listed out then why not grant them their wish? Is it too much to ask? Shouldn't torrent sites cooperate with each other to peacefully coexist?

It's ironic that waffles staff believe that the internet is public yet have a somewhat fake login page.

So is this a case of waffles's admin being high-handed or do they have a point?
What do you guys think?

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Hello all. Waffles has a thread that has a list of torrent sites in which a lot of these "secret" sites have their urls listed out with their abbreviations. The reason that's stated is this "Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private."

I like Waffles and I think it's a nice place to post, but if some sites don't want their urls listed out then why not grant them their wish? Is it too much to ask? Shouldn't torrent sites cooperate with each other to peacefully coexist?

It's ironic that waffles staff believe that the internet is private yet have a somewhat fake login page.

So is this a case of waffles's admin being high-handed or do they have a point?
What do you guys think?

On one hand there should be honor among thieves and on the other the internet is all about freedom of information.

Kind of like and unstoppable force hitting an unmovable object

Which is right ? You decide !

mamacita
01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
It's actually a call-back to the old OinK. They had the same list there on the forums for an eternity.

Villalltheway
01-16-2009, 07:45 PM
The reason that's stated is this "Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private."

Totally agree some of this sites are just stupid they really think everyone dont know what there url are anyway, the best is some dont want it shown at all but one quick search in google and their url is first on the list.

Brenya
01-16-2009, 11:15 PM
...The reason that's stated is this "Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private."
It's ironic that waffles staff believe that the internet is private public yet have a somewhat fake login page.
fixed :mellow:

Waffles attracts a particular type of crowd. They are providing services to that crowd.

The login page provides the delusion of confidentiality from the public authority.
:lol: Just because waffles.fm doesn't explicitly say they are the largest music pirating organization par excellence, doesn't mean the authorities can't prove its existence and aren't already well aware of it.

The list of trackers provide the delusion of accessibility to the private trackers.
:( Just because you know the name of the site, doesn't make it any more accessible.

I gained no benefit when I learned their unabbreviated names. I was like "Oh cool, now I can enter this string of characters into my address bar and stare longingly at the log-in page..."

I don't see the motivation for that list. If another private site doesn't want the entire world to know of their http address, I agree with you soulreaper, they should respect that. I mean it seems they value privacy, else there wouldn't be a need for that fake "site in development" login page.

But maybe it's tongue-in-cheek; they don't actually care about privacy insofar as the legality of piracy is concerned, and their homepage is intended to satirize the futility of fake homepages of BCG and Uk-T. But that would be mean, right?

integral
01-16-2009, 11:24 PM
it's just waffles doing a bit more emulating. i thought by now they would have died off, but oddly enough they've lingered, almost like a parasite...

Brenya
01-16-2009, 11:25 PM
it's just waffles doing a bit more emulating. i thought by now they would have died off, but oddly enough they've lingered, almost like a parasite...
...Someone didn't get into their favorite tracker :P
[didn't know they expired]

integral
01-16-2009, 11:35 PM
...Someone didn't get into their favorite tracker :P Lemme pull up their Alexa chart...
http://widgets.alexa.com/traffic/graph/?r=max&y=r&z=1&h=300&w=470&c=1&u%5B%5D=waffles.fm&x=2009-01-16T23%3A33%3A23.000Z&check=www.alexa.com&signature=k5wcoxQa4hvKPng05dwgbH5PCS4%3D
It looks like many people initially came to the site, and only few have stayed...

because alexa rankings are completely relevant for torrent websites...... :frusty:

I think I'll borrow this stellar logic, and start checking the Google PageRank for all my favorite private sites to see if they're dying or not.

lhnz
01-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Just arrogant of them. It might be a stupid policy by other sites but they should be a tiny bit more mature and not act so hostile to other sites.

Brenya
01-16-2009, 11:45 PM
because alexa rankings are completely relevant for torrent websites...... :frusty:

I think I'll borrow this stellar logic, and start checking the Google PageRank for all my favorite private sites to see if they're dying or not.
I appreciate the sarcasm. :lol: Really, made me laugh because I was thinking the same thing. Anyway, I was interested in the graph, but it's not terribly insightful.

piratebot
01-17-2009, 01:37 AM
it's not a big deal.

puckface
01-17-2009, 01:40 AM
The internet is not private

I 100% agree, and I don't think Waffles has done anything that anyone should be mad at.

Rafa
01-17-2009, 02:14 AM
^^^ me too

btw, i can't find this thread LOL... maybe is only for PU

Dr_Green_Thumb
01-17-2009, 03:27 AM
Fuck censorship and

apparently you don't think too well.

Villalltheway
01-17-2009, 03:31 AM
^^^ me too

forum - bittorrent - list of alternative torrent sites, hope this helps.

Also u dont have to be a pu.

Lovestoned
01-17-2009, 03:38 AM
Some staffs have different POVs from the other ones, it's their tracker so who are the users to complain about it?

They've worked really hard for the tracker and sometimes they even have to pay off parts of the server when the donation fees isn't enough.

So I respect their decisions even though they are somewhat not giving a damn to the other sites.

noAxx
01-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Ignoring the question of whether this is appropriate or not, it was interesting to learn the url from Skittles, which I'd not seen before. Still, it is missing the urls to the same small group of sites that seem to actually keep their url private (Ptn, iTS, ect).

Six66Mike
01-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Waffles, standing still since day 1. They have done nothing innovative and go out of their way to resemble OiNK. Who cares what they have on their forum.

lysine
01-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Users: 36,526
Torrents: 218,843

I wouldn't really call that standing still. but what.cd fanboys will always view it that way.

noAxx
01-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Waffles, standing still since day 1. They have done nothing innovative and go out of their way to resemble OiNK. Who cares what they have on their forum.

What.Cd may be (or more accurately is) considerably better than Waffles, but the latter is hardly an unimpressive tracker. Any site with over 200k torrents that is private deserves some measure of credit. And their forums aren't half bad either.

lhnz
01-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Users: 36,526
Torrents: 218,843

I wouldn't really call that standing still. but what.cd fanboys will always view it that way.Well, agreed about fanboys, and torrent count has certainly gone up, but that's actually the same amount of users as when I left almost a year ago give or take a thousand... :p

Time-Traveller
01-17-2009, 04:09 PM

What.Cd may be (or more accurately is) considerably better than Waffles, but the latter is hardly an unimpressive tracker. Any site with over 200k torrents that is private deserves some measure of credit. And their forums aren't half bad either.

They're both fantastic sites with heaps of shared and enough unique content to allow them to exist happily together and I recommend everyone to be a member at both sites.

I'm a what.cd man myself, initially fell in love with it because of the old OiNK stylesheet back when they were running TBDev and became one of the ring leaders in the great What vs Waffles Drawball project last year.

I also found that when searching for stuff too my taste What would come up trumps more often than Waffles but Waffles would still come up with the odd gem or the file missing to complete a set on What.

OiNK was an amazing place to hang out & then it was cruelly taken from us with no prior warning. If I had a dream like some of the crazy foo's here who think all their problems in life will be solved if they can get access to F*N or whatever my dream would be to see what and waffles put they're differences aside & collaborate somewhere down the line and reform the next OiNK but the sad fact is it will never happen but...

"hey f*** off stop spamen my tread whay shoodnt I have the rite tooo mi dreem" lol :P

danio
01-17-2009, 04:26 PM
OiNK was an amazing place to hang out & then it was cruelly taken from us with no prior warning. If I had a dream like some of the crazy foo's here who think all their problems in life will be solved if they can get access to F*N or whatever my dream would be to see what and waffles put they're differences aside & collaborate somewhere down the line and reform the next OiNK but the sad fact is it will never happen but...

"hey f*** off stop spamen my tread whay shoodnt I have the rite tooo mi dreem" lol :P

All this talk about OiNK and how people wish that waffles and what.cd would become as great and blabla... yet what.cd is pretty close to have twice as many torrents than OiNK had in its prime.. and besides that, they have also created gazelle, which has meant alot to the bt community (especially to dedicated trackers).

if it's the atmosphere you're missing from OiNK, then i don't know exactly what you wish for what.cd and waffles to do to satisfy. waffles is probably more close to OiNK in that respect though.

Time-Traveller
01-17-2009, 04:48 PM

All this talk about OiNK and how people wish that waffles and what.cd would become as great and blabla... yet what.cd is pretty close to have twice as many torrents than OiNK had in its prime.. and besides that, they have also created gazelle, which has meant alot to the bt community (especially to dedicated trackers).

if it's the atmosphere you're missing from OiNK, then i don't know exactly what you wish for what.cd and waffles to do to satisfy. waffles is probably more close to OiNK in that respect though.

Lol I don't feel as I have any requirement to obtain further satisfaction lol just reminiscing about OiNK.

Did what.cd really create Gazelle... ?

meelad
01-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I think Gazelle was perhaps created by What.CD coders.

Time-Traveller
01-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Was being sarcastic :)

CaptanAmerica
01-17-2009, 07:22 PM
thnks! have learnt some new knowladge

danio
01-17-2009, 08:01 PM

funny joke you made there mr.

"did microsoft create windows vista?" nope.. their dev team did.

duh ;P

Time-Traveller
01-17-2009, 09:49 PM

funny joke you made there mr.

"did microsoft create windows vista?" nope.. their dev team did.

duh ;P

lol fair enough was / am blazed :)

benficao
01-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Do NOT ask for or offer invites in this thread. Doing so will result in your forum posting privileges being revoked.
If you post a site that is not on the list (ctrl+f and type it in to make sure), then please reply to this thread. Afterwards, your post will be deleted. Please only post torrent site that have a small established userbase and amount of torrents. This thread isn't for new torrent sites to be promoted.

This list is only for your help since there are a lot of sites out there. Do not ask/comment where you can find some site or ask for help for a site.

Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private. Also, do not PM me asking to add a site. Just reply and I'll add it.

is it that hard? to respect others? shame on them.

? seriously? theyre just asking for it , hope they get it hard and long.

long live giveaways for waffles everywhere.

Brenya
01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
is it that hard? to respect others? shame on them.

? seriously? theyre just asking for it , hope they get it hard and long.

long live giveaways for waffles everywhere.

lol /thread. There really is no reason for that list of private trackers. They're just being rude.

Six66Mike
01-18-2009, 11:36 AM

I didn't say that it wasn't impressive, I think standing still and keeping invites closed so long and yet still having people hang out and upload new stuff says something about the site. I just don't know what the hell it is. OiNK is dead & gone, move on and embrace change. Stop living in the past & come up with something better than Waffle Irons.

Rafa
01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
^^^ me too

forum - bittorrent - list of alternative torrent sites, hope this helps.

Also u dont have to be a pu.

Thanks, i found it now... oh well, I knew this topic already, not big deal at all

Rafa
01-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I think what goes around comes around.
If they dont want to remove the links they shouldnt have to,
However when they want favors from other sites I wouldnt be shocked if other sites give them the same tudes.

this is fair enough

and we also have to take into consideration that the staff there is a bit... errr ... immature... :ermm:

Brenya
01-19-2009, 12:40 AM
and we also have to take into consideration that the staff there is a bit... errr ... immature... :ermm:
:huh:

Rafa
01-19-2009, 02:27 AM
^^ well it's my opinion

I refer to the notice before the list... typical... but whatever, i really don't care

Detale
01-19-2009, 02:54 AM
I think they can do what they want on their site. I do however find it odd that they don't want their accts traded as a measure of security but they will out other sites URL's hence reducing their so called security but again their site their rules.

Brenya
01-19-2009, 03:36 AM
I refer to the notice before the list...
Do you mean the announcements?

Villalltheway
01-19-2009, 03:59 AM
OiNK is dead & gone, move on and embrace change. Stop living in the past & come up with something better than Waffle Irons.

Why change something that was soo good.

People can say what they want about waffles, but for a site that has less than 40k members to have more then 200k torrents its pretty good.

Brenya
01-19-2009, 04:33 AM
Why change something that was soo good.
And yet they hosted something that was soo good in a country that is soo draconian. :dry:

Rigel9
01-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Waffles has a thread that has a list of torrent sites in which a lot of these "secret" sites have their urls listed out with their abbreviations. The reason that's stated is this "Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private."

Even the PirateBay has a thread like this...

http://suprbay.org/showthread.php?t=4297