PDA

View Full Version : What is a good ratio to keep on a torrent

digmen1
01-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Guys

I am new to Bit Torrents.

I am now a member of two sites and getting to grips with things.

What is a good ratio of uploads to downloads to keep, so that I have something to aim for and to be fair etc. I try to leave my client online for a while.

Polarbear
01-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Guys

I am new to Bit Torrents.

I am now a member of two sites and getting to grips with things.

What is a good ratio of uploads to downloads to keep, so that I have something to aim for and to be fair etc. I try to leave my client online for a while.

you should try to seed every individual torrent back 1:1. if you can't, seed as long as the site rules demand.

same goes for the global ratio. 1.0 or above is fine on every tracker.

Ahmed047
01-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Actually the best thing is to leave your torrent files in the client for the longest possible period to maintain the viability of torrent so other users even if they come late they will find the torrent is seeded & download without fear,you can also at least reach the ratio of 1 or more as you like , or more simply fellow the tracker rules found in the faq regarding seeding ratio & seeding duration

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Personally I never stop seeding anything I download until it's time to clean out the hard drive (6 month-ish rotation) it averages out at about 3:1 for most of my sites with a few hundred GB or so buffer.

I mainly use ratio free sites now where I happily leech, seed forever & donate too.

Currently seeding 150 torrents, after a small clean up

viru5
01-16-2009, 08:03 PM
The important in p2p world is have an ratio 1:1, and keep the torrents active much time than u can.

Swift
01-16-2009, 08:11 PM
seed as much as you can :) you will get a decent ratio for every torrent... and try to learn about parcial seeding later if you're upload speed isn't that good

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 08:17 PM
seed as much as you can :) you will get a decent ratio for every torrent... and try to learn about parcial seeding later if you're upload speed isn't that good

Chunk seeding is particularly effective at sites like TL & RevTT where you have an initial wait time and lots of leechers, some sites actively encourage it & at least 1 will not tolerate it as it messes with their seed point system

A couple of chunks of a popular PC ISO game or DVD-R will get a small buffer to start experimenting with what else works in no time

KushBlow
01-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Minimum is 1.0 but I recommend 3.0+ :).

cinephilia
01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
why 3.0+ ? many users can't achieve a 3+ ratio... it would be more coherent to recommend them to seed as long as they can.

Swift
01-16-2009, 08:24 PM

1 is okay if you don't have speeds or there is another case you could join a tracker that has no ratio :lol:

KushBlow
01-16-2009, 08:24 PM
why 3.0+ ? many users can't achieve a 3+ ratio... it would be more coherent to recommend them to seed as long as they can.

ON TL and IPT it's pretty easy. That's how I was taught at least. Seed it to 1:1; then triple it.

cinephilia
01-16-2009, 08:28 PM
i meant that 3 is just a number, you can't recommend a specific ratio regarding the disparities between members speeds...
it's why we can only recommend torrenters to seed as long as they can (without capping their upload speed of course).

Tokeman
01-16-2009, 08:30 PM

Some sites have a 0.7 minimum per torrent, some just have a minimum time to seed regardless of ratio. Some sites are just freeleech, and have no requirements.

Obviously its best to try and seed to 1/1 regardless, but check your tracker FAQ and Rules for details and requirements.

Villalltheway
01-16-2009, 08:33 PM

totally agree with this is ridicilous to think everyone can seed to 3, id just say seed as long as possible and try achieve something like 1.1.

Tokeman
01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
If everyone tried seeding to a 3 ratio, then there would be a bunch of peers with very bad ratio's as a result. Overseeding isn't a good thing most times, on most torrents. You end up screwing some one with a slower connection who's just trying to reach 1/1, but now can't because of overseeders.

Polarbear
01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
the times when you were a supercool user on a tracker with a ratio of 8.0 and a buffer of 1.5 tb are gone. most of the smaller communities tend to appreciate it more when you actually leech instead of overseed nowadays.

tracker racing buffer whores are newbish and out.

nsk
01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Personally I never stop seeding anything I download until it's time to clean out the hard drive (6 month-ish rotation) it averages out at about 3:1 for most of my sites with a few hundred GB or so buffer.

Ditto. :)

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 08:53 PM
the times when you were a supercool user on a tracker with a ratio of 8.0 and a buffer of 1.5 tb are gone. most of the smaller communities tend to appreciate it more when you actually leech instead of overseed nowadays.

tracker racing buffer whores are newbish and out.

For sure plenty seedboxes is both a blessing and a curse on ratio free sites it's a blessing but on sites like bitmetv it can make your life difficult on a home connection, the solution I came up with to bitmetv was what I call "Race-Chunk-Seeding" on very popular torrents :)

**Edit**

tracker racing buffer whores - Hahahahah Awesome name lolz +1

KushBlow
01-16-2009, 09:08 PM
If everyone tried seeding to a 3 ratio, then there would be a bunch of peers with very bad ratio's as a result. Overseeding isn't a good thing most times, on most torrents. You end up screwing some one with a slower connection who's just trying to reach 1/1, but now can't because of overseeders.

Well it's not my fault I just add a torrent to my Kimsufi box and I get a crazy ratio next morning lol.

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 09:09 PM

Well it's not my fault I just add a torrent to my Kimsufi box and I get a crazy ratio next morning lol.

Limit your upload speed and give us mortals a chance then the Tardas has only got 16/1.5 mb adsl, or set it to stop seeding at ratio 1,2,3 or whatever your happy with ;)

KushBlow
01-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Limit your upload speed and give us mortals a chance then, or set it to stop seeding at ratio 1,2,3 or whatever your happy with ;)

Oh no...look what you did...

http://i44.tinypic.com/4h37dt.jpg

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 09:19 PM
http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/3471/monster6bk.jpg

Whats that coming over the hill, is it a monster. :)

*Edit*

Apologies for the needless spam but I liked the pic.

Tokeman
01-16-2009, 09:46 PM

Most clients have the option to seed until X ratio
Give it a whirl...

KushBlow
01-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Give it a whirl...

But why would I? Most people have seedboxes too.

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Give it a whirl...

To make life easier for all the users that have a slower connection.

Tokeman
01-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Give it a whirl...

because your making it impossible for other users to even get to a 1/1 ratio

cinephilia
01-16-2009, 10:31 PM
anyway, KushBlow won't stop buffering as hell for the simple reason that he didn't reach the highests userclasses yet.

Tokeman
01-16-2009, 10:34 PM
anyway, KushBlow won't stop buffering as hell for the simple reason that he didn't reach the highests userclasses yet.

KushBlow needs some better herb then. I'm always high, regardless of user class :D

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM

KushBlow needs some better herb then. I'm always high, regardless of user class :D

+1 for herbage :partytime

themessiah
01-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Just curious wasn't the reason Kushblow requested FTN (a thread that I cannot find, must've been deleted) was because he said he wanted a ratioless tracker because ratio keeping was hard for him or he couldn't afford a seedbox (I can't remember which one it was).
And now look he has a seedbox :shifty:
Makes one wonder.

cinephilia
01-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Just curious wasn't the reason Kushblow requested FTN (a thread that I cannot find, must've been deleted) was because he said he wanted a ratioless tracker because ratio keeping was hard for him or he couldn't afford a seedbox (I can't remember which one it was).
Makes one wonder.
not to mention that he finally got invited at FTN. So apparently, he waited to get in before buying a seebox... it doesn't make sense at all since FTN is no ratio. Curious attitude anyway...

Time-Traveller
01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Makes one wonder.
not to mention that he finally got invited at FTN. So apparently, he waited to get in before buying a seebox... it doesn't make sense at all since FTN is no ratio. Curious attitude anyway...

Everyone needs a hero :)

themessiah
01-16-2009, 11:48 PM
It's all about the e-penis I guess.
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-the-wtaw-level-system-post3085776/postcount13

basshunter
01-16-2009, 11:53 PM
seed as long is possible:)

IdolEyes787
01-16-2009, 11:56 PM
If tracker level really meant anything the higher ones wouldn't be filled with the exact same twits that are on the lower ones.
I'm generalizing here so don't anyone get there panties in a bunch.

Lovestoned
01-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Around 1.7, overseeding isn't great when there are more than a few seedboxers on the torrent itself.

Gotta get my superb overseeded ratio to go down on Pedros' BTmusic soon, hehe.

KushBlow
01-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Makes one wonder.

Got a really good deal and some extra money. You would think a good seedbox would costs 30+ EUR, which I couldn't afford. Next month I probably won't have one though. And why would I care about userclasses? I care about giving everyone efficient download speeds.

Anyway about the seedbox thing, it's the first time someone's offered me to DECREASE their download speed (you guys are basically asking me to). Why? I'll explain.

Usually I'm the 1 out of 2 seeders on torrents. If you tell me to cap my upload speed or seed it only to a 1:1 ratio, people will download it much slower. Just like ScT is famous for it's speed, that's because all the people use a box and don't cap their upload speed therefore amazing speeds.

And also that one-man-army theory you guys are implementing won't work. If I cap my upload speed or limit it in any way it won't affect anything, because 50 more people aren't limiting their upload speed. One man won't make a difference.

dragoi92
01-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Just seed

Funkin'
01-17-2009, 12:17 PM
If I don't need the ratio at the site, then I set my client to stop the file once it seeds back to 1:1. If I'm new to a site, then I try not to go over 1:5 or 2:1(at the most) on the torrents. This way I get the little buffer that I need to be comfortable since I'm new, and I'm also not highly overseeding which in turn robs others of their chance to get some upload on the torrent.

This would be a good practice to get yourself into. Try not be a ratio whore, seeding everything to 15:1 or 30:1. There is absolutely no reason to have that big of a buffer.

stoi
01-17-2009, 12:26 PM
lots of permutations.

I have torrents i am seeding for over 200 days, but then i only have a ratio of 3 on them, but i didnt get that in the 1st 3 days, its actually taken me the 200 days of slow, methodical seeding to get to that, and there are not that many seeders on them.

A seedbox could be the same as above, someone having a 400 ratio on a torrent, but they have seeded it for a year+, while everyone else just jumps off.

The ones that sort of get me are, as soon as the uploader uploads it, they jump on it, and seed the ass off it, to a 30+ ratio in 2 days.

and the other side of the coin.

those that just do the minimum required and leave the torrent, if everyone done that, the tracker would not have any torrents on after a month.