PDA

View Full Version : Guy Ritchie Marathon

clocker
01-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Just finished watching Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch and RocknRolla, one after the other.

Although I enjoyed the experience, I can't help but think that he is developing a career based on remaking the same movie over and over again.

Refinements in editing and obviously larger budgets changed the look as the series progressed but essentially, each movie is exactly the same.

He certainly seems to be having fun though, and I could see not minding the similarities if I'd watched them a few years apart.

Like the Coen brothers, Ritchie has a fondness for certain actors who serially appear (Jason Statham, for instance) and this reinforces the impression that we're seeing the same film, slightly modified, again and again.

Of the three, I guess Snatch is my favorite.
Brad Pitt nails his performance and Dennis Farina is a welcome addition, if only because I could understand everything he said (Pitt must have had a ball garbling his lines).

Along with The Bank Job, it would seem that the Brits have adopted the "crime noir" genre as their own and are doing a very nice job with it, IMO.

peat moss
01-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Clocker , have you watched Johhny Was or Clubbed ? Two more to add to the great Brit crime movies . Vinnie Jones is one of my fav actors by the way .

clocker
01-17-2009, 05:02 PM
No, I haven't but I'll add them to my DL list.
Thanks.

Dolphin
01-19-2009, 12:46 PM
I must admit that these 3 films are very alike, Snatch, Two Smooking Barrels and RocknRolla, i knew that Guy Ritchie had done Snatch & Two Smooking Barrels befor i started watching RocknRolla but after a while seeing it i could not bare it anymore not knowing who the director was becouse the movie were so much like the other two so i stopped it and checked at imdb and were not surprised at all :)