PDA

View Full Version : Cpu Overheating

TClite
09-13-2003, 03:42 AM
Im running an xp2000+, with a medium range copper heatsink (all copper) and a powerful tt fan, my psu is rated at 300w, my cpu idle is 58degrees at best, going up to 65 when gaming, and 60 under lots of strain when desktop power using, its quite a frustrating issue, and there is no reason for it, i also have arctic silver on the die, its simply beyond me, the set up is to have heat running up the case (physics of heat prefer that) and theres no clutter at all restricting airflow....im starting to think i bought a faulty cpu, are there any suggestions, not software coolers...real help
edit: just noticed i made a typo on the post info reasin, what a complete fuckwit lol
edit2:also just noticed there that i put too instead of to, i feel like a freckin moron now lol almost american (lol, sorry bad taste)

my excuse is that im far too tired

Somebody1234
09-13-2003, 04:00 AM
What's the case temp? And can you tell us what model cooler you have?

TClite
09-13-2003, 04:03 AM
approximately 30 degrees, I have a thermaltake volcano 9+ fan, and a standard copper heatsink...

Somebody1234
09-13-2003, 04:15 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with your CPU. Your CPU is not running very much over normal. In my experience I have not had good results from the Volcanos. I get better cooling even from the stock AMD coolers.

Try looking for a cooler with 'Microfin' technology like the one on the right here:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/hwmouse/artikkelit/pic11/vertailu.jpg

TClite
09-13-2003, 04:23 AM
sorry should have mentioned, my current has microfin, is 65 normal running temp when gaming?

Somebody1234
09-13-2003, 05:27 AM
I've been trying to pinpoint exactly which cooler you have. You say it's a thermaltake volcano 9+ and I only find volcano 9 not + and it's not microfin nor fully copper:http://www.thermaltake.com/images/products/heatsink/v9a.jpg

I then looked further and I find a full copper microfin volcano 7+. Could that be the one you have?

http://www.thermaltake.com/images/products/heatsink/v7plus2BamdSo.jpg

Edit: 65C. when gaming is a bit high but not extreme. I would try to reduce it if I were you. What speed does the fan run at?

Spock4
09-13-2003, 05:34 AM
all this computer stuff is making my headspin :blink: :unsure: im going to sleep <_<

TClite
09-13-2003, 08:15 AM
i have the fan in that pic, the heatsink is seperate...I bought it individually

balamm
09-13-2003, 08:27 AM
The Boxed volcano + heatsink combo works fine. I have a 2000 that idles between 25 and 35 degrees depending on ambient air temp. No more than 50c when it&#39;s loaded hard. I do have a few small case fans though. One trick I picked up is cleaning the heatsink in an alcohol bath to remove airborn grime and grease. The first time I tried it, a dusting alone dropped a CPU from 65 to 55. The alcohol brought it down to 40c &#33; This with a new coating of generic thermal compound, no fancy stuff.

TClite
09-13-2003, 08:57 AM
sounds too good to be true, ill bathe my heatsink in vodka then, and while im at it do some dusting around, nice one

does it have to be pure alcohol, also, would paint thinner do anything good? lol

balamm
09-13-2003, 09:15 AM
You want something pure so there&#39;s no film left behind at all. Paint thinner is actually a little oily.

3rd gen noob
09-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by balamm@13 September 2003 - 09:15
You want something pure so there&#39;s no film left behind at all. Paint thinner is actually a little oily.
i told him that...:P

TClite
09-13-2003, 09:35 AM
listen chemist away and shite....i dont know these rudimentary implementations, ill spout some cumputer science at you (if only i learned at uni)

ps bawbag

lynx
09-13-2003, 09:44 AM
You can get methylated spirit (ethanol laced with methanol to make it undrinkable for those who haven&#39;t heard the term) from any reasonable hardware store.

Just a thought, you say the fan is separate from the heatsink, is it blowing the right way? In most cases, the fan blows onto the heatsink.

Is it the variable speed model ? If so, what speed is the fan running at. At those temperatures it should be running flat out.

TClite
09-13-2003, 09:49 AM
its running flat out on manual adjustment, its blowing onto the heatsink, thanks for the tip....

_John_Lennon_
09-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Indeed 60+ is a high for anyone running a stock processor, with a better than stock fan.

Im running my 2500 Barton at 2150Mhz, with the stock fan, and only 2 case fans, and im getting lower than what you are. (50-58)

johnboy27
09-13-2003, 03:06 PM
I have an XP2200+ overclocked to 1950 mhz and a stock AMD fan and heatsink and I have never seen a temp higher than 51 degrees not even while gaming.Oh yeah and my apartment is on the eigth floor of our building and never goes below 25 degrees except for the winter time.
I did get my temp to drop to 44 degrees just by changing my case and I added one case fan.Just yesterday I added two more case fans for a total of 5 and I am now running at 41 degrees.I think I&#39;d shit if I saw my temp go up to 65 dgrees. :o

3rd gen noob
09-15-2003, 01:37 PM
any more advice?

clocker
09-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Peltier cooling? (http://www.arstechnica.com/guide/cooling/peltier-1.html)

lynx
09-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Is that going to help if the heat being generated at present isn&#39;t being removed? As I understand it, a peltier device generates more heat, it&#39;s just that one side of the peltier device cools down, but the other side heats up more.

clocker
09-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by lynx@15 September 2003 - 07:00
Is that going to help if the heat being generated at present isn&#39;t being removed? As I understand it, a peltier device generates more heat, it&#39;s just that one side of the peltier device cools down, but the other side heats up more.

Dissipation of heat
Finally, Peltiers aren&#39;t magical.&nbsp; All that heat they pump from one side to the other has to go somewhere, and if it has nowhere to go, the temperature of the cool side will rise.&nbsp; Because of this, Peltier units for CPU cooling ship with heatsinks and fans.&nbsp; And moving the heat into the ambient air of the case won&#39;t help much if the case itself doesn&#39;t have adequate ability to move that hot air.&nbsp; It should be remembered that, in addition to the heat being pulled off of your CPU, the Peltier unit itself is producing Joulian heat, just like any electrical device.&nbsp; Adequate case ventilation is always important, but the addition of a Peltier makes it even more so.

From the linked article

Obviously, once you move from more-or-less stock heatsink/fan cooling setups, your case ventilation becomes more critical. Both watercooling and Peltier solutions are effective because they dissipate heat from the chip more efficiently, but then you are faced with removing this extra heat effectively.

Being something of a hardware freak, I&#39;ve been looking into both solutions.
Initially, watercooling looked attractive, but it would seem that the most effective layout would involve having the radiator external to the case. This complicates the plumbing , and together with a primitive fear of having circulating water so close to all my pricey electronics, has lead me to Peltier cooling.

So far, and I admit I need to do more research, it appears that in Peltier setups the heatsink fan draws air OUT, which would lend itself to a simple duct arrangement to the outside of the case. This would remove the problem of dumping hot air into the enclosure for other fans to expel.

I&#39;m still learning/researching.

Kunal
09-15-2003, 09:59 PM
i Think Ive Got A Serious Prob Wid Ma Cpu den&#33; I Got a amd xp 2000+ and Gigabyte 7va motherboard, me cpu seems to average around 80c&#33; i think ill take it 2 get sorted 2mo&#33; lol

_John_Lennon_
09-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Kunal@15 September 2003 - 16:59
i Think Ive Got A Serious Prob Wid Ma Cpu den&#33; I Got a amd xp 2000+ and Gigabyte 7va motherboard, me cpu seems to average around 80c&#33; i think ill take it 2 get sorted 2mo&#33; lol
Okay, I dont care what anyone says, 80C is freaking deadly, im suprised your CPU hasnt burned up yet.

Make sure you have your heatsink firmly attached ontop of the processor.

If all else is good, or maybe the fan isnt working... but if all is really hooked up good, im thinking you should send back the CPU, it might be defective........

Kunal
09-16-2003, 03:36 PM
@ _John_Lennon_, thnx&#33; im gettin a new cpu and copper bottom cooler 2morrow&#33;

_John_Lennon_
09-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Kunal@16 September 2003 - 10:36
@ _John_Lennon_, thnx&#33; im gettin a new cpu and copper bottom cooler 2morrow&#33;
NP, hate to see them, but defective CPUs are bound to turn up.

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 11:20 PM
I got one of those liquid nitrogen thingy attacched to my case and the temp never went above 20 degrees? is that a good thing? :D

lynx
09-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Here&#39;s an interesting thing which I hope someone can explain, because i certainly can&#39;t understand it.

I bought a new XP2400+ processor last week, with a big copper/alu heatsink and 8 cm fan, and it was running at 34-35C normally rising to 39C under load. Now, just 6 days later, it is running at 42C normally rising to 46C under load. Whise this is nothing to worry about in terms of current temperatures, if this rate of temperature rise continues then I am certainly going to be getting worried in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone any ideas why the temps should have risen, and can I expect further rises?