PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to hide uTorrent's tray icon?

spark
01-20-2009, 09:43 PM
so I can leech stuff using the office computers?

KushBlow
01-20-2009, 09:47 PM
99% no.

slymester
01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
You can set it be always hidden via Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.

Cabalo
01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
tray icon easy, u have in the utorrent options "boss key" @ options - preferences - general.
it will disappear from the tray doing that.

amazing that either no one knows how to properly use the software, or cares to read the topic title. It's right in front of their nose.

KushBlow
01-20-2009, 10:04 PM
tray icon easy, u have in the utorrent options "boss key" @ options - preferences - general.

amazing that either no one knows how to properly use the software, or cares to read the topic title. It's right in front of their nose.

Boss key? What's it do?

Cabalo
01-20-2009, 10:12 PM
try it... you will be pleasantly surprised if you want to make utorrent disappear in front of everyone's eyes, and do its job on the background silently.

KushBlow
01-20-2009, 10:13 PM
try it... you will be pleasantly surprised if you want to make utorrent disappear in front of everyone's eyes, and do it's job on the background silently.

Oh, you have to input a hotkey.

Works a treat. Cabalo has found the solution OP :D. I'd still be scared to use it at my workplace though.

pone44
01-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Also depends on how smart your fellow workers are?

I think you can find a App to hide certain programs/folders? Would not know.

Detale
01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
It's not really silent like this though you can still see it in the task manager if they check.

spark
01-20-2009, 10:34 PM
It's not really silent like this though you can still see it in the task manager if they check.

my idiot boss would not know how to get the task manger :happy:

Cabalo
01-20-2009, 11:33 PM
and you can always rename utorrent.exe to services.exe :whistling
or run utorrent as a service if you have administrative rights ;)
a useful link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890/en-us

pentomato
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM

Ostia tio, I didn't know that and I am using utorrent like forever lol, thank you, muchas gracias colega

Albo Da Kid
01-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Ostia tio, I didn't know that and I am using utorrent like forever lol, thank you, muchas gracias colega

ejj tato tato ralentizar. Yo Tengo cabeza de un gruesas nina en sandalias...Tu no sabia??:naughty:

pro267
01-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Another thing which is quite important to consider when you're torrenting at work, is that medium-large scale businesses often have an IT department, handling the company servers. The IT personnel can - and often does - monitor the traffic to and from the different workstations and the Internet. So although you may be able to avoid being detected filesharing visually by your boss, you may find out that these activities are easily detectable in other means.

pentomato
01-21-2009, 12:43 AM

ejj tato tato ralentizar. Yo Tengo cabeza de un gruesas nina en sandalias...Tu no sabia??:naughty:

ahahah lol do you know what you just said?
You said that you have the head of a fat girl in sandals ahahahaha, you are to much lol. Your first language is not spanish is it?

Albo Da Kid
01-21-2009, 12:45 AM
ahah I thought i said" I get head from a thick chick in sandals" lol

How you you say that in Spanish properly?

Hiccup
01-21-2009, 01:51 AM
I always wondered this myself. Thanks OP for asking!

Detale
01-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Lets keep on topic and in English ok guys.

kondrae
01-21-2009, 07:07 AM
wow. i thought you were joking at first.
i learned something today:happy:

meelad
01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I always use the boss key mode. Nobody knows I am downloading when I do it this way. You can also run utorrent at startup in boss mode. Just add /HIDE to the registry entry for startup.

This is one of the main reasons I love µtorrent.

pentomato
01-21-2009, 10:11 AM
ahah I thought i said" I get head from a thick chick in sandals" lol

How you you say that in Spanish properly?

Well my friend I speak four languages, I am very smart lol, serious I lived in Spain for a while.

Lets keep on topic and in English ok guys.
Don't panic detale nobody is insulting anyone lol

CaptanAmerica
01-21-2009, 11:19 AM
first way - to hide tray
open regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer # right click on explorer, and then select new -> DWORD value. type NoTrayItemsDisplay as its value name. reboot pc

second way
use program called RBTray

third way
just hide icons from tray when they are inactive. do it from taskbar options

sefo
01-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Holly shit, this is brilliant.:)

Brenya
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah I love the bosskey. It's good to know Bittorrent Inc. is thinking about us piraters.

JGB
01-22-2009, 01:43 AM
BTDT. The other function that is nice is to run it at night:)

Or if you are on a super high traffic network anyways just use usenet client and SSL.
I got yelled at for BT but they never noticed the usenet DLs.

RedRansom
01-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Another thing which is quite important to consider when you're torrenting at work, is that medium-large scale businesses often have an IT department, handling the company servers. The IT personnel can - and often does - monitor the traffic to and from the different workstations and the Internet. So although you may be able to avoid being detected filesharing visually by your boss, you may find out that these activities are easily detectable in other means.
if connection sharing with a local network exactly a normal user can see which ports using with which app with network connections (these is a nighmare for msn user at company ofc if there is torrent user as well:naughty:)