PDA

View Full Version : any one else have hosting.ie 1gig dedicated server??

peugeottech
01-20-2009, 11:52 PM
ok i have just got myself a Dedicated Rabtor Pro Lin 877 - Renaissance GB and want abit of input from other hosting.ie users
now the one i have just got has a 1 gig line and is running windows web server 2008
now i asked for RAID 0 in my set up and never got it and i see they have removed the RAID option from this anyone know why??
now i downloaded a film to check it out and hit speeds of 24 MB/s but not for long im a uploader on another site and i dont seem to be getting great speeds when other seeds connect to me and i know for a fact that most of them have great boxes is it because im running windows? i dont have know more then 5 torrents running at anyone time and my server has good specs:

Intel Core2 Duo 2x1,8
2x320 GB of HDD disk
2 GB of RAM
Traffic-Unlimited (guaranteed)

any input would be great
thanks alot

boxer
01-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Hmm strange

did you pay for RAID and they remove it ?

as far I hear they usually are the only one hosting provider who gives extras for free, not takes them away :) there must be a reason I suppose

andra
01-21-2009, 04:50 AM
You need raid to get good speed on a gbit server with windows.

peugeottech
01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Well it had RAID on the website when i payed for it and looking at it now its been removed i sent them a email and they said my server has not got it and to add it to windows would cost me more money :(
now im thinking of trying linux and hope they can add RAID on there for free
i have to pay 19 euros for a install

Seed4Speed
01-21-2009, 02:24 PM
You must use linux with Gb servers, he performance difference is astonishment. Linux give us better performance than Windows. Hosting-IE servers are not very powerful in their cheaper versions. Your server reach higher speeds have a better management of the operating system ;)

Valoo
01-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Very strange, I assume you have a bill showing all the details of the server, like Raid don't you ?

peugeottech
01-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Very strange, I assume you have a bill showing all the details of the server, like Raid don't you ?

Yes it says it on my bill and it was also on the website and now its been removed
i have asked for linux ubuntu so i hope when its all set up i will be getting better speeds for longer :)

arkan
01-21-2009, 05:58 PM
see if the IDE drivers are causing a bottleneck..

you can check the performance stats.

if they are upgrade the ide/chipset (south bridge) drivers. many times you will see a good improvement.

but yeah fully utilizing a gbit is hard unless you have lots of good speed leechers.

Maybe I should be trying linux too...

peugeottech
01-21-2009, 06:20 PM

if they are upgrade the ide/chipset (south bridge) drivers. many times you will see a good improvement.

but yeah fully utilizing a gbit is hard unless you have lots of good speed leechers.

thanks for that mate i will have a look but am still thinking of going with linux i just hope it will give me better speeds as i feel im not getting nowhere :frusty:

arkan
01-21-2009, 11:16 PM

thanks for that mate i will have a look but am still thinking of going with linux i just hope it will give me better speeds as i feel im not getting nowhere :frusty:

That's Good. Please let me know how it goes with Linux.

If you see drastic differences i might switch myself.

TechnoMan80
01-22-2009, 04:14 AM
they use only SATA 2 HDD's on new servers with 500GB HDD and over

so there can not be any IDE issue

Raid 0 on linux is good for sure
but it will still use servers resources

If you will go for hardware RAID then all resources are used form the raid adapter. For the big servers they offer with 4GB RAM and Quad CPU's for sure nothing matters you can spend some resources on software raid
but for smaller servers it will
still won't get full performance. It will be much better than without RAID but not the best.

peugeottech
01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
i have payed for the linux install so i will let you guys know how it goes im not asking for my server to max out but just to keep up with the rest of the boxes as 100 meg boxes are uploading about 20 gig more then me per big torrent

snail
02-05-2009, 09:48 PM
the main reason you are getting shite speeds from them is 2x320 GB of HDD disk
the discs are ide instead of SATA
if it was me I would contact them and see if they can swap you into the Dedicated Rabtor Pro Lin 777 which has the 500GB SATA discs
with a GB box you will still need RAID-0 if you want to maximize your speeds