PDA

View Full Version : Cd Roms Dead

Silver_Dales
09-13-2003, 07:19 PM
My problem is that my pc has been running fine for months and then i dl Nero cd burner and since then (or possibly before i strongly think) my pc wont read from either my DVD rom or my CD burner drives. thay are not shown in My Computer under storage devices but in the device manager they are there but with big yellow exclamation marks over them . When i try to uninstal them and then reinstal my pc says that it cant load the drivers for them (error code 39). I have uninstalled them and reset my CMOS-no good.
Heeeelllppp

Benno
09-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Can you reinstall the drivers for them?

Kk4S-HaVoK
09-13-2003, 07:37 PM
or maybe a system restore to b4 u used nero???????

Silver_Dales
09-13-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Benno@13 September 2003 - 19:33
Can you reinstall the drivers for them?
When i ask windows to look for a driver it says it cant find anything newer and that is the best but then says they may be corrupt.
And no i cant load drivers cos the ones i got are on cd and the pc wont read the cd rom drives. chicken and egg situation, to me anyway.

Silver_Dales
09-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Kk4S-HaVoK@13 September 2003 - 19:37
or maybe a system restore to b4 u used nero???????
the thing is I dont think its nero, as i think it happened before i put nero on, i just didnt notice as i hadnt used the cd rom or burner for a couple of days. I suppose its worth trying to uninstall Nero and doing a system restore to see what happens.

mogadishu
09-13-2003, 08:24 PM
same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.. i think i had to chuck the cdrom drive, but im sure there is a way to solve it besides getting a nwe one.

lynx
09-13-2003, 09:03 PM
Are there any other devices with the exclamation marks ? I am thinking in particular about the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, if so this may be the problem.

Otherwise, the drivers for cdrom are:

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\storprop.dll

%SYSTEMROOT% is the name of your windows folder.

You could try restoring them from your install disk in case both copies (the working one and the backup) have been corrupted. You would need to perform a system repair by booting from your install disk, but try a system restore first.

Somebody1234
09-13-2003, 09:14 PM
Look for drivers online (manufacturers web site) instead of trying to read them form the CDs.

Acecool
09-13-2003, 09:18 PM
restart and press delete till you get to bios

do the reset to optimized defaults or something, save and exist, boot up and see if that helped

lynx
09-13-2003, 09:23 PM
The drivers are from microsoft, I was going to suggest extracting them from the cd first, but of course you can't if the drives are down. Can you copy them from a friend's machine? They are about 100k in total.

Alternatively, have you got a win98 or winme startup disk, that should allow you to access the drives, always assuming that it isn't a hardware problem.

lynx
09-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Acecool@13 September 2003 - 21:18
restart and press delete till you get to bios

do the reset to optimized defaults or something, save and exist, boot up and see if that helped
Re-read the first post, (s)he's already tried that.

Silver_Dales
09-13-2003, 10:20 PM
ok if i got the drivers from a friends machine, how would i get them into my windows? just copy them in? and to where? the system 32 file as suggested earlier?
thasnks for your patience guys. and I'm a He. B)

Silver_Dales
09-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Oh yes, Lynx there are no other exclamation marks. The IDE ATA/ATAPI are fine.

lynx
09-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Search for existing copies of the files mentioned, and replace them with the ones copied from your friends machine. Make sure you keep a copy of the ones you replace - best suggestion is to rename them, for example rename cdrom.sys to Xcdrom.sys, immediately before you copy the new version.

Btw, if you have SP1 installed, make sure your friend has it installed too.

If any of the files won't rename, it probably means that part of the driver has been loaded so you shouldn't have to replace it.

zapjb
09-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Just a couple questions. About when was the last time both these drives worked? And did you recently install one of these drives? I'm thinking wrong jumpers & or wrong cable positions.

lynx
09-14-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@13 September 2003 - 23:16
Just a couple questions. About when was the last time both these drives worked? And did you recently install one of these drives? I'm thinking wrong jumpers & or wrong cable positions.
That's a good thought, but it can't apply in this situation. The drives are being recognised, which wouldn't be the case in the scenario you are thinking about, and the error is that the drivers can't be loaded.

Nice to see some alternative thinking though.

Silver_Dales
09-16-2003, 11:57 PM
EUREKA!!!!!!!!
Sorted!!! I found in Windows Help a reference to "code 39" and it mentioned a known problem occuring when Easy CD Creater is uninstalled that corrupts the CD Rom drivers. I had to go into the Registry and delete some values from a file and BINGO it worked. Yipee.
Thanks for all your help guys its been a very frustrating time but I got there and without your help and suggestions I wouldn't have been pointed in the right direction. So if anybody else removes ECDC BEWARE!!!! :D :beerchug: