PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ? Running Downloaded Software Progs

missdiva
09-14-2003, 03:04 AM
Ok don't shoot me :) I've been on this for exactly 13 minues :)

Downloaded a few soft. progs, ms office/works etc - can't get them to run/install/open- nothing happens when I click on any of the files, Im assuming there's something else I need to do to get these to install but I have no clue -

thanks for your help!

MD

nikita69
09-14-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by missdiva@14 September 2003 - 03:04

Downloaded a few soft. progs, ms office/works etc - can't get them to run/install/open- nothing happens when I click on any of the files, Im assuming there's something else I need to do to get these to install but I have no clue -

thanks for your help!

MD
go to download.com and dl anything, run it (save as) and open it. does that work?

missdiva
09-14-2003, 03:26 AM
I mean programs I get from kazaa - dl.com has some stuff but not most of the ones I need :)

thanks!

nikita69
09-14-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by missdiva@14 September 2003 - 03:26
I mean programs I get from kazaa - dl.com has some stuff but not most of the ones I need :)

thanks!
i know that, i want to u to test if the file u get from download.com or any other site is workable. so go ahead get a test file (small is ok)

missdiva
09-14-2003, 03:40 AM
yup all the ones from dl.com work no problem.....

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by missdiva@14 September 2003 - 04:04

thanks for your help!

MD
tryed double clicking instead?

nikita69
09-14-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by missdiva@14 September 2003 - 03:40
yup all the ones from dl.com work no problem.....
ok, first don't click on those files anymore. second, run anti-virus if u have one (if not get it first before we go any further). third, are they huge files?

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 03:44 AM
if they arent verified then they might be dodgy, scan them like nikita69 said.

clocker
09-14-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by missdiva@13 September 2003 - 20:04

thanks for your help!

MD
Missdiva,

What are the file extensions of the programs that you DLed?

The file extension will tell you what you need to do to open it...

missdiva
09-14-2003, 03:52 AM
I've run AV a few times all ok.

They are .exe files - ms works type of stuff, this one is 312kb

I thought the computer could just run exe files as it did when I Got some from dl.com but these dont work -- :(

thanx guys

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 03:55 AM
i think ms works is slightly bigger than 312KB, maybe around the region of 50MB.

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by missdiva@14 September 2003 - 04:52
I've run AV a few times all ok.

They are .exe files - ms works type of stuff, this one is 312kb

I thought the computer could just run exe files as it did when I Got some from dl.com but these dont work -- :(

thanx guys
Make sure your antivirus is updated btw.

Not all exe will run by itself, sometimes it may require additional files, but in some cases like binary files you can just run a single exe file.

My guess is if you got it off kazaa, then some divy was sharing their entire works and computer folder.

missdiva
09-14-2003, 04:01 AM
ahh ok so Iprob didnt even dl the right prog - lol oops!

anyone know where I can get a copy online of ms works and calendar? thanxxx

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 04:05 AM
if you can find a verified link of this site then maybe you can get it off kazaa, otherwise just use emule.....though it is harder to use than kazaa, and slower.
But i just did a search and its there...and the networks isnt filled with as many fakes as kazaa so its likely to be the real thing.

missdiva
09-14-2003, 04:07 AM
ok looked again and it seems all the works files I find are too small to be the full prog - how do I know what is verified?

:)

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 04:09 AM
only way is to do a search in the software section of this forum to see if there is a link for it...when you click the link sig2dat (tool that should have came with k-lite) should generate a file in shared folder which will appear in the list for you to download.

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 04:11 AM
http://www.sharereactor.com/release.php?id=2275

Heres for MS Works v7.0....but will only work on Emule though.

"Works 7.0 is home productivity software for your PC. The suite includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database, and calendar. And, Works 7.0 has new, professionally designed templates, and a new tool to help organize common projects. The software is even easier to learn and use, but flexible enough to let more advanced users jump right into what they want to do.
Works helps you make professional-looking documents and get tasks done quickly. Keep track of up to 32,000 records with Works Database. Organize and track expenses, home inventories, and collections with Works Spreadsheet. Make planning and managing projects easier with the new My Projects organizer. Get quick access to your schedule, to-do list, and Works tools via the quick-start Task Launcher home page.

Quickly format documents and get professional-looking results with the Format Gallery. Hundreds of updated, customizable templates help you with personal budgets, sports organization, schoolwork, and more. Easily share and edit files with Word and Excel users. Quick Tours guides you step-by-step through each component. "

missdiva
09-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Ok :) thisis - I dl that file on emule, and its a .cue file - now what? Its finished and in the 'incoming' folder of emule but I still can't run/install it? help!

thanxxx

sharedholder
09-14-2003, 08:22 AM
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=66396

missdiva
09-14-2003, 08:32 AM
ok - got thepage, but i only have one .cue file in the incoming folder - no bin. and i still have no clue how to download or install it - dont i need to do that before copying to cd- im clueless :( can someone talk to me as if im in 8th grade?

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 10:55 AM
ok me will try and run you through it.
You need to download the bin as well as the cue file...they work together.. The bin is the main file and the cue is the file which tells your cd burner how to burn it. So after you download them both i'll move on and explain how to get it working.

What settings are you using for emule? What connection do you have (UL Max and DL max), Windows XP?.

The downloading of the file will take a while, but you'll get it in. Good luck.

liquidacid
09-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Did you try changing the extension to see if it's maybe a rar, zip, iso......

For software to appear in a software search of Fasttrack it has to be an exe. Often you'll find that you have, for example, a "file".rar.exe; in this case it would be neccesary to remove the .exe from the extension to allow it to open with winrar.

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 11:08 AM
for something less than 1MB i dont think its a valid working file IMO

thisiswhoweare
09-14-2003, 11:22 AM
PM me if you need any help. I'll pop in now and then. :ph34r:

JumpyBL
09-14-2003, 08:43 PM
Just look for OfficeXP in KLITE, it's a 400+MB file. You'll get it in like 15 minutes though, there are a lot of users with it.

It's got all the junk your trying to get in a self-extracting winzip file.

And those other files you downloaded are most likely worms, hopefully you ran a full system scan.

-Later