PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing CuteFTP

central2rbay
01-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Good Afternoon Gang,

Anyone happen to have come across any solid articles, or even postings on FST, regarding CuteFTP speed optimization? I feel like my speeds between myself and the seedbox I subscribe to aren't at all being utilized.

Appreciate the help as always :D

H&K
01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Whats the maximum speed you can get from your home connection. Mine is 1.2mb/s, therefore i have 6 threads running at 200kb/s each.

Also if you're on OVH they are hell for limiting FTP downloads.

central2rbay
01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi H&K,

Appreciate the reply. I'm not on that particular service you mentioned. In terms of home pc speeds, here's my speedtest image:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/265/crbay2hkpcspeedtestys8.jpg

Let me specify my problem. If I download a file from my seedbox which has say 20 sub files, I get a tremendous combined rate. The highest I've seen so far is about 5.2-5.5mbs. If I download one single sub file, my rate is usually below 1mbs. Are there settings I can tweak for this particular issue?

I'm a fairly new CuteFTP client user - haven't used it in years come to think of it. And, I just recently subscribed to a seedbox :rolleyes: so in the learning phase!

Thanks again for the help.

LJ.
01-27-2009, 06:31 AM
I Download around 12mb/s

Sanka113
01-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Cuteftp can multithread up to a certain point. If you feel you need to run more threads consider using 3d-ftp.

gijpie
01-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Right on the file(folder) you like to download. Choose 'download advanced', choose 'multipart download', choose 'max 5 parts' and on you go.

Cabalo
01-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Hi H&K,

Appreciate the reply. I'm not on that particular service you mentioned. In terms of home pc speeds, here's my speedtest image:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/265/crbay2hkpcspeedtestys8.jpg

Let me specify my problem. If I download a file from my seedbox which has say 20 sub files, I get a tremendous combined rate. The highest I've seen so far is about 5.2-5.5mbs. If I download one single sub file, my rate is usually below 1mbs. Are there settings I can tweak for this particular issue?

I'm a fairly new CuteFTP client user - haven't used it in years come to think of it. And, I just recently subscribed to a seedbox :rolleyes: so in the learning phase!

Thanks again for the help.
that slowdown is not an issue of the FTP client.
if you have that kind of slowdowns when only downloading a large file, the explanation is simple: high degree of fragmentation in the server HDD and/or too many write accesses during that read. I make a weekly defrag on all my home servers and everytime i had a dedicated one. If you don't have a dedicated one, tough luck because you won't be able to defrag it.

central2rbay
01-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Appreciate the help gang ~ I'll give the multipart-download a shot and see where I go from there. In terms of the server HD, unfortunately it's a remote seedbox ~ out of my control :ermm:.

LJ.
01-27-2009, 04:59 PM
how did you get max 5 parts or 6 ? I only have 4 eeehhhhhhhh /?

central2rbay
01-27-2009, 09:27 PM
I've Max 4 parts as well LJ... Needless to say, I did try out the multipart download function, and it worked! My rate has been staying above 10+ constant... really awesome - thanks a bunch.

gijpie
01-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Don't know. I'm using Cuteftp 8.3 pro and can select 2 or 5 parts.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4348/cuteftpbe5.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cuteftpbe5.jpg)

Valoo
01-31-2009, 04:16 AM
I've Max 4 parts as well LJ... Needless to say, I did try out the multipart download function, and it worked! My rate has been staying above 10+ constant... really awesome - thanks a bunch.
What's your seedbox ? shared ? dedicated ? where it's located ?

LJ.
01-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Bought from outsystems.pl its a ovh box and its located in france if i am not wrong. I am getting an avg of 13mb/s now with max 4 parts :P