PDA

View Full Version : Any Ways To Speed Bittorrent Up?

Wolfmight
09-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Currently I'm useing: Azureus

The problem with all the bittorrent programs is that It refuses to even download at 20kb/s without uploading at about that speed, but when i upload at 20kb/s I can barely download at 10kb/s.
with 10kb/s upload, i can barely get 50kb/s sometimes.
Normally I get 150-170kb/s download (off IE downloads) without any upload online.
Is there a way i can like trick bittorrent into uploading at like 5kb/s or something and get 70kb/s? It would still be shareing after all...
I hate it when i try to download something with 100s of seeds, but only 10kb/s.

n18
09-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Yup, shadow torrent good for that http://bt.degreez.net/

i set it to 4kb/s and get speeds up to 120kb/s but then after it finished i set it back to max and let others upload for a few hours :rolleyes:

Wolfmight
09-14-2003, 04:48 PM
hmm i think my firewall is slowing it down.
Says i can route it through it tho, dunno how.

Switeck
09-14-2003, 05:10 PM
I use the experimental BitTorrent.

I have no problem on good torrents getting high download speeds (40+ KB/sec) so long as I am uploading at least 10 KB/sec to at least 4 people.

For my point of view, I get faster download speeds uploading to MORE people at once than uploading at slightly faster speed.

In short:
Better 15 KB/sec upload to 8 users than 20 KB/sec upload to 4 users.

I also use a bandwidth monitoring program (AnalogX NetStat Live) to see if I'm overrunning my connection.

BitTorrent seems to run best if started after a reboot and there's no/few other connections being made.

Wolfmight
09-14-2003, 05:35 PM
k, i found out how to Port Foward on my router. Now it's allways on a green light.
Downloading sof2 at 70kb/s.. sweetness, Finally! No more 5kb/s crap

edit: 140kb/s... WOW, dont even get that fast on kazaa, irc, and emule.

primo
09-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Hey wolfmight, how did u configure your Firewall? i really need some help... im still getting a max of about 5 kb... i really need some help

Wolfmight
09-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Do you have a router? I didnt need to configure Zone Alarm Pro, i just configured my router.

This is for Linksys routers:

Close Bittorrent Applications first*

Goto "Port Fowarding" or "Fowarding", then for the program name use "Bittorrent". For the 2 port feilds use "6881" and "6889" (thus it allows ports 6881-6889). Now make sure TCP Protocal and UDP protocal are checked if they are there (if one of the other isnt there, let me know..). Now Make sure the check box on the very Right is checked to Enable this setting. Click Apply.

Now reopen your bittorrent download.. it will take a min or two, but eventually it will start downloading at 100kb/s or so. Make sure Upload is like set to 2kb-4kb/s , 4 people max upload.

(oh yea, when the download completes.. help the others out by maxing upload speed and user and let it stay on for an hour or so ;) cause thats how u got yours so fast)

Make sure u get the Torrent from the latest Suprnova site http://phobal.ca/suprnova for fast download ability.

g/l

mogadishu
09-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@14 September 2003 - 16:20
Do you have a router? I didnt need to configure Zone Alarm Pro, i just configured my router.

This is for Linksys routers:

Close Bittorrent Applications first*

Goto "Port Fowarding" or "Fowarding", then for the program name use "Bittorrent". For the 2 port feilds use "6881" and "6889" (thus it allows ports 6881-6889). Now make sure TCP Protocal and UDP protocal are checked if they are there (if one of the other isnt there, let me know..). Now Make sure the check box on the very Right is checked to Enable this setting. Click Apply.

Now reopen your bittorrent download.. it will take a min or two, but eventually it will start downloading at 100kb/s or so. Make sure Upload is like set to 2kb-4kb/s , 4 people max upload.

(oh yea, when the download completes.. help the others out by maxing upload speed and user and let it stay on for an hour or so ;) cause thats how u got yours so fast)

Make sure u get the Torrent from the latest Suprnova site http://phobal.ca/suprnova for fast download ability.

g/l
but this isnt guarnteed. a lot of torrents dont even have 100+ available bandwidth.. letalone 100KB for you.

primo
09-14-2003, 09:47 PM
well i just did all that, but it still isnt that much faster. My router also had a field that said "Ip address" after the UDP and TCP protocol boxes. it still isnt THAT fast though. I even got one of the most popular torrents from Suprnova

Benno
09-14-2003, 10:36 PM
What kind of connection have you got?

primo
09-14-2003, 10:40 PM
I have a fast 1.5 Mbps ADSL connection. I get really good speeds on other applications like K-lite and IRC. They are mostly up near 150. But still never in double digits on BT :huh:

mogadishu
09-14-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by primo@14 September 2003 - 17:40
I have a fast 1.5 Mbps ADSL connection. I get really good speeds on other applications like K-lite and IRC. They are mostly up near 150. But still never in double digits on BT :huh:
yea i got the same connection, and only a couple times have i gotten over 100 on bittorrent. On irc i can usually max out my connection at about 145KB/s.. if its available on both bittorrent and irc, id go with irc. also you never get 99% done just sitting there for days.

Benno
09-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by primo@15 September 2003 - 00:40
Then you sure have a problem with your configuration, but since I dont use a router myself im the wrong person to help you out here. ;)

Wolfmight
09-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu+14 September 2003 - 17:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mogadishu &#064; 14 September 2003 - 17:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-primo@14 September 2003 - 17:40
yea i got the same connection, and only a couple times have i gotten over 100 on bittorrent. On irc i can usually max out my connection at about 145KB/s.. if its available on both bittorrent and irc, id go with irc. also you never get 99% done just sitting there for days. [/b][/quote]
They fixed that 99% bug in other bittorrent clients.
I use Azureous right now.. it has a very nice Interface..with a status bar that shows the Peices status. Much better than the original bittorrent program, and also better than NovaTorrent.

Well.. ever since i configured my router.. I&#39;m getting 140kb/s easy on bittorrent.
Only got DSL

nahan
09-14-2003, 11:34 PM
First of all it really depends on how many seeds ,distributed copies and peers you are connected to to achieve great speeds.
Obviously the more seeds the faster the download ,you can get a good sense of this for your self no need for me to give you an example.
Next time you are downloading a file via bittorrent check the advanced tab on your client at look at how the bandwidth is being distributed compare that with the file information E.G. How many seed ,distributed copies and peers you are connected to.

Sure Irc can be fast but the thing is for new files you could potencially be waiting a very long time before you get a chance to download anything,espeacially if they&#39;re short on bots.
If I were you guys I would stick to bittorrent get acustom to its use.
There are lots of great places to learn and share the bittorrent way.

n18
09-14-2003, 11:48 PM
anime thats popular on torrent ( naruto ) i got speed like 100-200kb/s, 80kb/s on music from supernova, and 30kb/s on isos from nova :angry: sticking to anime till i find a better way or better tracker for games

Wolfmight
09-14-2003, 11:51 PM
Yea, if your router isnt configured.. you only get 1-2 seeds.
I got like 17 seeds on SOF 2.
noticed some stuff on Suprnova said it had 100-300 seeds.. damn that&#39;d download at 400kb/s+ on T1 or T3 probably

NotoriousBIC
09-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Potentially it could hit those speeds.
I just d/led &#39;Last Exile ep 23&#39; (Anime, about 35 seeders and 25 peers) and it hit the 500 mark. I&#39;ve gotten higher speeds on some occasions, but that&#39;s really rare. Usually I&#39;m between 100 and 200.

But it really depends on the amount of bandwidth the combined seeders/peers have available and of course your own setup as mentioned a few times here already.

If I&#39;m lucky I can get files on IRC faster, but that&#39;s presuming I don&#39;t have to queue and the server is fast enough.
So I usually go for BT. Plus it&#39;s &#39;true&#39; filesharing... B)

muchspl2
09-15-2003, 02:32 AM
best speed I got was 700kb/s on the matrix 2 trailor 1300+ seeders 600 peers
that&#39;s the max I ever got
250kb/s is the normale download speed with out seeding or kazza open
I got uncapped cable I hit 2mbit+ on dsl reports and 4300+ on 2wire (http://www.2wire.com)

Adster
09-15-2003, 02:54 AM
happens to me alot too

soma
09-15-2003, 05:47 AM
Does anybody use BT with a 56k like me? Its slower than Kazaa but offers a better variety and rarer files at least...

kenny g
09-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Well I was using BT for a while through my router and had no problems. Now however, using Azerus or the BT experimental or the classic BT i get a list of seeds etc but a download/ upload of 0kbs . I have tried loads of different torrents but this always happens. I downloaded Norton Antivirus corporate edition about a month ago . Could this have effected it? What should I do now ? I am quite happy to unplug the router and go straight into my 15MBs cable modem but it doesn&#39;t seem to make a difference. The problem first came about when the router was in the repair shop so I do not think it is a router problem. Can anyone help?

CaSe SeNsItIvE
09-15-2003, 01:36 PM
I use Burst&#33; RC5, and i get my maximum download speeds when im downloading stuff like Naruto etc

_Ender_
10-12-2003, 05:30 PM
i use the new Shareaza beta and that gives me speeds of like 500+ kb/s

and KL only gives me 50kb/s

fr600
10-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by _Ender_@12 October 2003 - 23:30

and KL only gives me 50kb/s

Gonna try that & will see...

danne
10-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by kenny g@15 September 2003 - 13:43
The problem first came about when the router was in the repair shop so I do not think it is a router problem. Can anyone help?
Sounds strange you&#39;d get that prob if you were on an &#39;active&#39; ip. Anyways, check these things:

Well, if you don&#39;t let ports 6881-6889 through the FW you can only download from ppl who are &#39;active&#39;. If you had a friend set up the &#39;router&#39; it was probably reset at the shop, so you have to set it up again. Check for port forwarding in the settings of it.

Do you run any kind of software FW ? If so, check that one also for the same.

internet.news
10-15-2003, 12:06 AM
I have also been using Shareaze for Torrents for the last couple of months. The speed does seem to be faster but maybe I&#39;m just getting files with more seeds.

Officially Shareaza doesn&#39;t cheat the UL/DL ratio although I do seem to have a faster DL than UL everytime I check it.

The main reason I like Shareaze for torrents is that it doesn&#39;t seem to take up as much resources (I can easily run it along side Kazaa and other stuff). This is especially important when downloading a few torrents at once as my system always crashed when running multiple bittorents.

Switeck
10-15-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by kenny g+15 September 2003 - 06:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kenny g &#064; 15 September 2003 - 06:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Well I was using BT for a while through my router and had no problems. Now however, using Azerus or the BT experimental or the classic BT&nbsp; i get a list of seeds etc but a download/ upload of 0kbs . I have tried loads of different torrents but this always happens. I&nbsp; downloaded Norton Antivirus corporate edition about a month ago . Could this have effected it?&nbsp; What should I do now ? I am quite happy to unplug the router and go straight into my 15MBs cable modem but it doesn&#39;t seem to make a difference. The problem first came about when the router was in the repair shop so I do not think it is a router problem. Can anyone help?[/b]Your ISP may be blocking the default BitTorrent ip ports -- that&#39;d explain the 0 KB/sec speeds nicely. :(

I think Shadow&#39;s experimental BitTorrent client can use alternate ip ranges, dunno about others...
Originally posted by _Ender_@12 October 2003 - 12:30

and KL only gives me 50kb/sShareaza is probably reporting speeds in kilobits/sec NOT KILOBYTES/sec. Almost an order-of-magnitude difference there because 8 kilobits/sec = 1 KILOBYTE/sec.<!--QuoteBegin-Wolfmight@14 September 2003 - 16:20
Now reopen your bittorrent download.. it will take a min or two, but eventually it will start downloading at 100kb/s or so. Make sure Upload is like set to 2kb-4kb/s ,&nbsp; 4 people max upload.

(oh yea, when the download completes.. help the others out by maxing upload speed and user and let it stay on for an hour or so&nbsp; ;) cause thats how u got yours so fast) [/quote]If you&#39;re only on an hour after finishing with uploads maxed out, you almost certainly aren&#39;t repaying in uploads the amount you downloaded even if it took only 30 minutes to get. Plus, max without limits is generally a BAD thing because BT WILL overload your connection. (You may notice web surfing when that happens sucks...)

So you&#39;re just as well off to upload at about 50% to 80% max upload speed (in total between all your torrents) while downloading and then bump that up to about 80-95% max upload speed when done.

If you have 256 kilobits/sec (32 KB/sec) upload max like I do, then about the best upload speed you can get while doing nothing else is around 27-30 KB/sec. Setting it any higher just causes packet loss and connection slowdowns. :(

For 128 kilobits/sec (16 KB/sec) upload max, it&#39;s only possible to give out about 10-13 KB/sec. :(

NotoriousBIC
10-15-2003, 12:14 PM
The problem with the connection overload (packet loss and such) in my experience only happens with Shad0w&#39;s client.
The normal one and others (Shareaza, Azureus and NovaTorrent) don&#39;t seem to have this problem.
However I must implore you not to limit your connection to much (80% is fine) for the same reasons why we all participate in p2p-sharing.
Limiting more when you download isn&#39;t going to help for asynchrous connections BTW, since the upload is seperate from the download.

Switeck
10-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by NotoriousBIC@15 October 2003 - 07:14
Limiting more when you download isn&#39;t going to help for asynchrous connections BTW, since the upload is seperate from the download.
Even on connections whose upload bandwidth is separate and independant of the download bandwidth, the upload bandwidth gets USED by syn acks to keep the download GOING if the download is being sent by TCP/IP packets. At least 1 KB/sec of UPLOAD bandwidth is needed for EVERY 40 KB/sec of download speed you&#39;re getting. So if you&#39;re downloading at 160 KB/sec, you&#39;ll need at least 4 KB/sec of upload bandwidth to handle all the &#39;continue sending MORE&#33;&#39; upload replies. This is ON TOP OF all the p2p networking overheads, which BitTorrent unfortunately has a LOT of&#33;

I have 256 kilobits/sec (32 KB/sec) total upload bandwidth, but even a single FINISHED BitTorrent which has only about 5 peers/leeches and 5 or fewer seeds can&#39;t upload faster than about 26-28 KB/sec. That&#39;s with totally NO other activities on my connection&#33; On Kazaa, I could upload as fast as 29.5 KB/sec. And on BearShare with no other activities, an upload to a single person could hit 30 KB/sec. This is because EACH p2p type has its own networking behavior and background networking traffic levels.