PDA

View Full Version : TorrentLeech is SELLING OUT

DryingFizzle
01-29-2009, 09:51 AM
In the last few days, we've seen:

1. Massive Travian promotions, first in the form of official announcements, then in the form of recurring IRC invite giveaways. This means that forget dedication, forget people who know what BitTorrent is, forget upholding the community, just register on Travian so that TL get their money from affiliation, and presto! you're in.

2. Secretive forum posts from w00t saying that 'if you have a credit card with $10 on it, PM me and you'll get a year's VIP membership'... no more details.

3. And now a poker tournament where the fee for joining is $11... according to mansionpoker.com, affiliates get 20% of net revenue.

I'm disappointed. TL is moving from a tracker where dedication and community actually means something, to a tracker where only money matters. This is so contrary to the ethos that they were once spearheading. Will they go the same way as MovieX?

Discuss. Am I alone in thinking this?

The_Martinator
01-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, you have to remember that people tend to get greedy when they smell money.
150 000+ members means big bucks as long as some of them actually pay.

Funkin'
01-29-2009, 10:08 AM
I couldn't care any less about what the owners of TL do. As long the releases keep coming for me to illegally download for free, then they can do whatever they want.

piratebot
01-29-2009, 10:11 AM
yeah, it's a bit ridiculous, but i can ignore it

redMonster
01-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I think you are too late in realizing this. One of TL's main agenda has always been to gain money and I think a site so big as TL always need money. But I agree, they have gone overboard in their ways to collect donations.

tony2005
01-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Well, you have to remember that people tend to get greedy when they smell money.
150 000+ members means big bucks as long as some of them actually pay.

more like 300,000 members and thats before they enabled the invite system again lol

dragos
01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm disappointed. TL is moving from a tracker where dedication and community actually means something, to a tracker where only money matters.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: it was there since long ago man. Where you not paying attention ? Community ? Dedication ? At TL ? Are you drinking something over there ?

Swift
01-29-2009, 10:37 AM
lol ... TL a community =))) maybe of seeders and leechers but nothing else

sert
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm disappointed. TL is moving from a tracker where dedication and community actually means something, to a tracker where only money matters.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: it was there since long ago man. Where you not paying attention ? Community ? Dedication ? At TL ? Are you drinking something over there ?

Well sorry but I have to agree with dragos, there is no sense of community, however I am not sure what he means by dedication. Its an excellent tracker though, covering almost all scene releases.

H&K
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
TL is an awesome site, but the forums are near dead. IRC isn't bad but meh. However tracker side they are doing awesome, great speeds, lots of leechers, personal compilations/cracks.

They're doing just fine if you ask me ;)

Lovestoned
01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
TorrentLeech

Get it? They want money, not community or sharing spirit.

sez
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Dude..what world are you living in do these terms make any sense to you global economic crisis,recession,tough economic times people are broke.i think they are smart in getting into such agreements with these corporates.who knows what will happen this year maybe they are anticipating whats ahead i mean with the credit crunch so apparent guys who usually diligently donate are going to hold onto their wallets these are the people who keep the site running what do you think will happen next?so if there are corporates who want to work with pirates then no problem let them as long as they fork for our server costs then its all cool,looking at it from another angle am just guessing here you guys know how it is with newbies these guys get so excited when they get into these elite sites and in that excitement especially with the invite having just been given away just like that they are more likely to easily give donations to the good site(especially with TLs donate and become VIP announcement literally following you everywhere)so who knows maybe in the past week or two they witnessed a significant amount of donations from new members and they just decided to take advantage of a trend or better yet bring them in let them leech till they are two weeks to a ban coz of ratio then constantly remind them all could be avoided if they just donated,now what newbie who can spare some cash wouldn't fall for that?besides so long as rules are rules i dont see any problem with more members let them increase the user base a base that will more likely donate unlike those invited by members who may tend to hesitate.we cant anticipate the future here can we?..,and by the way if you are tired of seeing the Ads that help pay for the servers just donate and they will all disappear just like magic..yes?so go _w00t_ dish them all out all of them..and if you can find more corporates the better,its these corporates who made the owner of the pirate bay get listed among the top 20 internet millionaires,now that aint bad right?and he doesnt wait on donations to cover server costs does he?am seeing this as a trend,just wait and see soon many of these elite sites will go this road so its upto you donate or see more giveaways in the name of pirate-corporate cooperation..

Unstable1
01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
TL has always been about money lol - but who cares, it's still a great site and they haven't had a penny out of me.

Dude..what world are you living in do these terms make any sense to you global economic crisis,recession,tough economic times people are broke.i think they are smart in getting into such agreements with these corporates.who knows what will happen this year maybe they are anticipating whats ahead i mean with the credit crunch so apparent guys who usually diligently donate are going to hold onto their wallets these are the people who keep the site running what do you think will happen next?so if there are corporates who want to work with pirates then no problem let them as long as they fork for our server costs then its all cool,looking at it from another angle am just guessing here you guys know how it is with newbies these guys get so excited when they get into these elite sites and in that excitement especially with the invite having just been given away just like that they are more likely to easily give donations to the good site(especially with TLs donate and become VIP announcement literally following you everywhere)so who knows maybe in the past week or two they witnessed a significant amount of donations from new members and they just decided to take advantage of a trend or better yet bring them in let them leech till they are two weeks to a ban coz of ratio then constantly remind them all could be avoided if they just donated,now what newbie who can spare some cash wouldn't fall for that?besides so long as rules are rules i dont see any problem with more members let them increase the user base a base that will more likely donate unlike those invited by members who may tend to hesitate.we cant anticipate the future here can we?..,and by the way if you are tired of seeing the Ads that help pay for the servers just donate and they will all disappear just like magic..yes?so go _w00t_ dish them all out all of them..and if you can find more corporates the better,its these corporates who made the owner of the pirate bay get listed among the top 20 internet millionaires,now that aint bad right?and he doesnt wait on donations to cover server costs does he?am seeing this as a trend,just wait and see soon many of these elite sites will go this road so its upto you donate or see more giveaways in the name of pirate-corporate cooperation..

Dude, have you ever heard of paragraphs? :P

crimsonhaze
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Still a great tracker. Many trackers don't live up to their reputation, but not TL.

kevinsert
01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
At least They dont Sell 1 invite for 20 € ;) Get it ? Like SCT ....

dragoi92
01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Well it isnt any problem for me if they want money
All i can say is that they are a great tracker with many torrent, seeder and leecher

benficao
01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Still a great tracker. Many trackers don't live up to their reputation, but not TL.
;)

ppl tend to forget, that, this is not new, has been done before, is being done, and will continue.

ps: As long, as they keep bringing, my shows, and movies, im ok.

yevgeny
01-29-2009, 11:59 AM
id prefer if they werent plastering the site with ads and all that stuff but noone obligates you to buy anything so i dont see the problem.

Lovestoned
01-29-2009, 12:09 PM
id prefer if they werent plastering the site with ads and all that stuff but noone obligates you to buy anything so i dont see the problem.

Adblock + custom filter add = pwn.

;)

sert
01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
TorrentLeech

The 1st site in your sig (whore class) sells each invite for 20 bucks, do you think they are out for your sharing spirit?

EL REY
01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I couldn't care any less about what the owners of TL do. As long the releases keep coming for me to illegally download for free, then they can do whatever they want.Agree!!

Lovestoned
01-29-2009, 12:25 PM

The 1st site in your sig (whore class) sells each invite for 20 bucks, do you think they are out for your sharing spirit?

Not exactly, they will need it to motivate people to donate so they can continue having 1gbit boxes for the first seed.

Besides, invites are a privilege and it doesn't really matters if you don't have them.

I still enjoy the site very much.

Di@monds
01-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Rofl tl for community and sharing? ;D
And they have gbit? OK
look at all the ads on site and they vip system.

vic
01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
TL is on the right way of getting busted.

Di@monds
01-29-2009, 12:38 PM
well i dont think tl is going to anywhere :P
With the money they make per month they could hire tons of lawyers

Malago
01-29-2009, 12:51 PM
i dont mind those as long as TL is alive. Easy to seed, i can snatch a torrent from a week ago and still seed to 1:1,
you can find some torrents that you cant find any other places.

Villalltheway
01-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Really some people just need to get over it, who cares if TL want to put lods of donation stuff over there site, from what i hear they are not forcing you to donate, and if its these links and donations that keeps this site alive so be it. Maybe if they ever do go down u will appreciate what they actually gave you.

People bang on a about community really who gives a f**k, what are all u lot dissappointed that the forums arent busy rating the avatar above them :noes:. Im sure u guys have other trackers that do this anyway.

Aliyans
01-29-2009, 01:10 PM
its their decision...

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 02:59 PM

Have you ever heard that phrase "The first one that acts, is always the smart one". lol while the other trackers focus on building up a Trader/sellers free base, Sct is making money.
I don't blame them, I would find a way to make money out of this "bittorrent" thing as well. There are so many ignorant people here who don't know shit about how things work, which get obsessed with something, and they'll do anything to get what they want. Meaning they'll even pay money money to get an invite, Give it away so they could build up REP points or trade it for another account.
Sct sees this, and they say to themselves "Keep mentoring those Retards FST. Your WTAW thread is the best. We owe you one".
I really think most trackers owe FSt a "Thank You" for making them one of the most wanted trackers. FTN, Detale is still waiting for that check, what happened to it, are you going to send it or what? Or are you going to keep making excuses "We are short of donations etc..."

NippleCake
01-29-2009, 03:05 PM

finally someone else has seen the writing on the wall too

basilhaydens
01-29-2009, 03:08 PM

This is why I never signed up there. They are clearly the biggest target...

Lovestoned
01-29-2009, 03:29 PM

I don't think that will happen though.

But OiNK was a disaster.

Aerozin
01-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Well, everyone have to eat. What if w**t wants to get money from his tracker? its his decision.. if you dont like , leave the tracker or just dont donate.

basilhaydens
01-29-2009, 03:40 PM

I don't think that will happen though.

But OiNK was a disaster.

Now that oink matter is almost wrapped up, expect more strikes on torrent sites, imho.

SaviouR
01-29-2009, 04:53 PM

a site will most probably get targeted when they do something out of the ordinary for e.g leaking an album before its release . To say that members more in a torrent site = more chances of site getting busted is absolutely ludicrous . they catch sceners regularly and monitor the scene/p2p more than we can imagine . be a place of 500000 or 5 , if they do something out of the ordinary they will be targeted sooner or later with sufficient proof , be a normal site or a "uber-rar3z0r-c0mmuniti" torrent site .

basilhaydens
01-29-2009, 04:56 PM
It's not ludicrous whatsoever. You reason through it and figure out why the biggest sites are the ones to be threatened and forced to move, server raids, etc.

I think you overlook the fact that most scene pres are before the release, so it isn't out of the ordinary.

SaviouR
01-29-2009, 05:07 PM
what is exactly your definition of "Biggest sites" ? Oink was in no way a HUGE site like a Mininova , Demonoid yet it got busted becos some of the uploaders were pre-releasing albums in their tracker apart from its decent collection which led to their doom . and What do you mean by "fact that most scene pres are before the release" ??

danio
01-29-2009, 05:31 PM
what is exactly your definition of "Biggest sites" ? Oink was in no way a HUGE site like a Mininova , Demonoid yet it got busted becos some of the uploaders were pre-releasing albums in their tracker apart from its decent collection which led to their doom . and What do you mean by "fact that most scene pres are before the release" ??

uhm, or maybe because OiNK was easier to bust since he ran his servers from home? (or so i've heard).. while demonoid and most others are running it from hired servers, which means that they focus on putting pressure on the host to shut it down.. this is something we have seen many many times.. but the tracker owner moves before that happens, or has backups to start it up again from somewhere else. and false names on the subscriptions aren't that uncommon either.

thepiratebay was also busted, they ran the servers from their own ISP company. the day after it was running again thanks to backups.

SCC was forced to leave leaseweb after some organisation had put enough pressure on them. but they moved the site to a new host in time.

and so on...

what all the sites that have been busted/forced to move/shut down but started up again have in common is that they are rather large (accessed by a lot of members), and are probably making money. (ok, SCC isn't that large in comparison but still, and they are easy to gain access to)

now if anyone can contradict my theory that size and making money really matters, give some examples :)

stoi
01-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Oink was hosted in Holland on leaseweb and he gave his real name and address on the servers, hence why he got busted, aradi tracker was the same, leaseweb, brein asked for the details of the owners of the servers, and leaseweb give in.

Was pretty much that simple really.

danio
01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Oink was hosted in Holland on leaseweb and he gave his real name and address on the servers, hence why he got busted, aradi tracker was the same, leaseweb, brein asked for the details of the owners of the servers, and leaseweb give in.

Was pretty much that simple really.

hm ok.. that's not what i thought i remember from the news when they arrested him and walked out with bags of server hdd's from his house. but even if you're right, i still claim that my theory holds.. OiNK was large and was making money, so is the pirate bay.. i don't know anything about that aradi tracker though.. but i don't know of any smaller site that's going low on donations that has been busted, even though they have alot of pre-release movies, games etc on their site.

stoi
01-29-2009, 06:51 PM
No they got his PC from his house, his workplace and his dads PC in Manchester i think it was.

The actual servers were on leaseweb hence why most, but not all trackers that were on leaseweb, upped and left sharpish.

monkeyicious
01-29-2009, 07:06 PM
The bottom line is always money.
Poeple like to think that they have free will.
But they always choose the house in their budget.
They always choose the cheapest hotel in their price range.
We like to think that service matters.
But it's always the bottom line.
The green back.

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Most people don't want to realize this. It's always about money. Not everyone is stupid enough to waste all this time in here without getting anything out of it.
Sct/btmtv/tl are one of the smart ones taking advantage of this. I remember BCG tried the GB Bonus System once also, but i think they got rid of it after a while. Not such a good move business wise imo. You guys should implement that in BCG again.

stoi
01-29-2009, 07:54 PM
But isnt the fact that we can survive without Gigs for £s testimount for something.

and no it wont be coming back, i dont agree with it at all, and we used to have it because we had nothing else.

Villalltheway
01-29-2009, 07:54 PM
I also always think to myself, they must try and make money out of this. I find it hard to believe that there are many people who puts a lot of effort and hours into maintaining a tracker and risk without getting something for it. Bottom line there must be something there for them to keep on going. Unless u tell me you are multi milllionaires so dont need the money to live.

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 07:59 PM
But isnt the fact that we can survive without Gigs for £s testimount for something.

and no it wont be coming back, i dont agree with it at all, and we used to have it because we had nothing else.

I believe that BCG can survive without the "Gigs for money", it's been alive quite well so far. But it's not smart not to have it. Other trackers are profiting like crazy out there. It wouldn't be fair to one of the best Dedicated trackers out there not to get a little something also.

stoi
01-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Reason I still do it

Life would be boring without it
The Staff that have put countless hours in for 0
The Donators from the past and present, that have kept us alive and going
The members that have leeched and seeded
The members that actually care about us (which is not many, but there are some)
The Uploaders that have kept us topped up with torrents.

it has got nothing to do with money.

lhnz
01-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Most people don't want to realize this. It's always about money. Not everyone is stupid enough to waste all this time in here without getting anything out of it.
Sct/btmtv/tl are one of the smart ones taking advantage of this. I remember BCG tried the GB Bonus System once also, but i think they got rid of it after a while. Not such a good move business wise imo. You guys should implement that in BCG again.I disagree with this. None of the people that I know that are really into bittorrent (and I mean, coders/big uploaders) like any of the Pay2Leech sites. Sometimes unfortunately there is no choice but to use one...

Also, people seem to think that it's a requirement and that donations don't bring in enough cash, but that's complete bullshit. Large sites easily get enough donations for really expensive servers, and so on...
The owners of some of the largest P2L sites are blatantly making 100s of thousands, and I believe that sooner or later the police are going to go after them... Honestly, running a site in a for-profit way is just insane.

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 08:04 PM
I disagree with this. None of the people that I know that are really into bittorrent (and I mean, coders/big uploaders) like any of the Pay2Leech sites.

Don't worry.. Soon enough they will be. just give them some time

lhnz
01-29-2009, 08:08 PM
I disagree with this. None of the people that I know that are really into bittorrent (and I mean, coders/big uploaders) like any of the Pay2Leech sites.

Don't worry.. Soon enough they will be. just give them some timeDon't be an idiot. I'm talking about the old-school bit-torrenters (and the technologically aware) that are just here to share. I'm really not a fan of the business-minded posers that have sprung up over the last couple of years, and lots of people aren't...

mido
01-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Still TL is a very decent tracker

Amazing speeds and easy to seed, and this is a hard combination

Also, they have some complete seasons that are still seeded for more than two years

They do not force u to donate, and invites are still given to non donors

Very few downtimes, fast servers

They may be after the money, but its harmeless to users

I think TL is one of the best trackers out there

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Don't be an idiot. I'm talking about the old-school bit-torrenters (and the technologically aware) that are just here to share.

lol, no disrespect, but those "old-school" torrenters must be the "idiots". No1 was more old-skool than the Scene members back in the day, and look where they ended up....A pay2leach ftp site.
If your friends aren't make money via donations etc, they are probably making money by doing something else bittorrent-related, like reselling seedboxes etc...And if they aren't doing that either, then they must be some stupid lowlifes who don't have a business sense at all. Im not saying all should behave this way, but it doesn't hurt to profit from this bittorrent anti-trading BS..

danio
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Don't be an idiot. I'm talking about the old-school bit-torrenters (and the technologically aware) that are just here to share.

lol, no disrespect, but those "old-school" torrenters must be the "idiots". No1 was more old-skool than the Scene members back in the day, and look where they ended up....A pay2leach ftp site

you're pretty confident about stuff you don't seem to have a clue about :).. do you actually think that the scene in general are pay2leech sites? is that why they are exposing p2l sites to RIAA/MPAA etc. every once in a while to get rid of them?

you shouldn't generalize the way you do.

NippleCake
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
I also always think to myself, they must try and make money out of this. I find it hard to believe that there are many people who puts a lot of effort and hours into maintaining a tracker and risk without getting something for it. Bottom line there must be something there for them to keep on going. Unless u tell me you are multi milllionaires so dont need the money to live.

well think about it, it could be started up as a sort of hobby, or interest. a lot of things we do in life our solely for enjoyment, such as the collection of cards (or whatever floats your boat). Starting/running a tracker would doubtlessly be hard work but ultimatly bring enjoyment (provided the site isnt a failure). It is something to work on, to build, like your own project, which people will give you feedback on (basically if your site is the dog's bollocks or a pile of piss) so, i do not think many people are in it mainly for the money, of course you had that crazy bitch running vortex-network, and there will always be accusations at sct for being a p2l site, but, its their site, let them charge what they want.. ..sct i would say is an extremely demanded site so maybe also the price tag cuts down on the amount of users coming in, makes people think twice about who they invite :happy:

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 08:21 PM
do you actually think that the scene in general are pay2leech sites? is that why they are exposing p2l sites to RIAA/MPAA etc. every once in a while to get rid of them?

And you don't think they are exposing other p2leech sites out of interest???

stoi
01-29-2009, 08:21 PM
And if they aren't doing that either, then they must be some stupid lowlifes who don't have a business sense at all

I am hurt you just called me a stupid lowlife.

For me it started out because i was lazy, and couldnt be bothered to go to 20 sites to get a game for my kids, i have never once thought of it as a "business". I would be scared shitless if i was making 1000`s on this, i am pretty paranoid anyway, but making lots of cash i would be fit for taking away, in a straight jacket lol

NippleCake
01-29-2009, 08:22 PM

lol, no disrespect, but those "old-school" torrenters must be the "idiots". No1 was more old-skool than the Scene members back in the day, and look where they ended up....A pay2leach ftp site.
If your friends aren't make money via donations etc, they are probably making money by doing something else bittorrent-related, like reselling seedboxes etc...And if they aren't doing that either, then they must be some stupid lowlifes who don't have a business sense at all. Im not saying all should behave this way, but it doesn't hurt to profit from this bittorrent anti-trading BS..

ehh sorry for the double-post, but do you know anyone that is an "old-school torrenter"? they are all about sharing, also pay2leach is nothing to do with sceners tbh, so i wouldnt tar them with the same brush as that :dabs: please know what you are talking about before you actually talk about it :)

do you actually think that the scene in general are pay2leech sites? is that why they are exposing p2l sites to RIAA/MPAA etc. every once in a while to get rid of them?

they expose p2l sites because of poor security, they are like gateways to the scene, that is why ;)

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
And if they aren't doing that either, then they must be some stupid lowlifes who don't have a business sense at allI am hurt you just called me a stupid lowlife.

For me it started out because i was lazy, and couldnt be bothered to go to 20 sites to get a game for my kids, i have never once thought of it as a "business". I would be scared shitless if i was making 1000`s on this, i am pretty paranoid anyway, but making lots of cash i would be fit for taking away, in a straight jacket lol

lol stoi i didn't mean it that way.. You are one of the few that I didn't include in that sentence. ofcourse there's some that do it for the love of sharing. But most of them do it for the dough. There's plenty of p2leech harcore sites to prove this

lhnz
01-29-2009, 08:28 PM

If your friends aren't make money via donations etc, they are probably making money by doing something else bittorrent-related, like reselling seedboxes etc...And if they aren't doing that either, then they must be some stupid lowlifes who don't have a business sense at all. Im not saying all should behave this way, but it doesn't hurt to profit from this bittorrent anti-trading BS..Um...
You're so wrong it's funny. Last I heard many scene groups refused to affil with P2P/P2L ridden servers... Wasn't being P2L reason for a sceneban? lol.

And, lol, no disrespect, but what do you really know? You're a newbie that spends a huge amount of time hanging out on FST. Most sharing sites wouldn't want to touch you with a bargepole, let alone the real scene...

The fact I'm trying to say is that if all you can bring to the table is money, you do not really matter. Eventually somebody else is going to show a little bit of skill and you'll be gone.

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Alright, lets seperate what we have heard from what we have seen..
Recently I just witnessed a site owner go ballistic because the donation amount didn't cover the server costs for that month. He even threatened to shut the site down if this continued to keep going. A few days before that, I found out that this same person is a seedbox reseller. I bet a few months from now, if his site picked up well, he would do become a p2leech kind of person as well. That's how it starts. "Let's do it for the community" then "Where is my fukin money"
Most people probably thought the same about him."Oh he's just a hardcore old-skool bittorrent fan who juts does it for the love" but turned out he wasn't. not everyone seems to be who they say they are or who you think they are.

The fact I'm trying to say is that if all you can bring to the table is money, you do not really matter. Eventually somebody else is going to show a little bit of skill and you'll be gone.

And wtf do you know?? You're probably the only one who hangs out 24/7 uploading and discussing about bitorrenting, while your friends are out there making loot.

lhnz
01-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Alright, lets seperate what we have heard from what we have seen..
Recently I just witnessed a site owner go ballistic because the donation amount didn't cover the server costs for that month. He even threatened to shut the site down if this continued to keep going. A few days before that, I found out that this same person is a seedbox reseller. I bet a few months from now, if his site picked up well, he would do become a p2leech kind of person as well. That's how it starts. "Let's do it for the community" then "Where is my fukin money"
Most people probably thought the same about him."Oh he's just a hardcore old-skool bittorrent fan who juts does it for the love" but turned out he wasn't. not everyone seems to be who they say they are or who you think they are.Sure sure. There are plenty of people that are just in it for the money, but I'm just saying, that there are plenty of really nice guys that I've met that literally just do it for fun (because they're doing it for fun, they're also a hell of a lot more caring/active)...

If you look at this way, most people are squeamish about making money off it. It's a bad topic and most really hate it. Isn't that enough proof that it's not considered acceptable?

And wtf do you know?? You're probably the only one who hangs out 24/7 uploading and discussing about bitorrenting, while your friends are out there making loot.That is possible, but I doubt it. Most small sites lose money. Big sites that rely on just donations make a little bit more money than they need, but normally spend the extra money on servers/equipment/etc.. - they could potentially pocket the money, but honestly things are tight and they'd probably need to spend it eventually to upgrade. It's the large Pay-2-Leech sites that really rake it in...
You're correct that I'm probably way to nice about what others intentions are, but I am unlikely to be the only one anti making money off torrents...

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
I think most people caught up in the bittorrent world have selfish intentions, but thats just my opinion. i alsio believe there are those who do it for the love and because they care, but unfortunately those are the few of the crowd.

I don't have no proof on this so i guess you can call it non-exceptable, but that doesn't change the fact that these kind of people really do exist, and they are the majority.

danio
01-29-2009, 09:07 PM

simple answer... no!

i don't know what information you have but i know for a fact that you're wrong (atleast to some extent, i know).. you're generalization is false

Tokeman
01-29-2009, 10:18 PM
I think most people caught up in the bittorrent world have selfish intentions, but thats just my opinion.

What?!?
People who steal are selfish?
No way...
Us pirates are a sharing caring bunch.....as long as you don't ask us to pay :lol:

* NOTE: sarcasm used in this post

harshytkage
01-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Stealing is different from Piracy
check here it'll show ya-

http://i.justrealized.com/media/2008/08/piracy-is-not-theft-handy-guide.jpg

pig098
01-29-2009, 11:16 PM
as long as they r using money for the tracker who cares

Albo Da Kid
01-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Take a look at our fellow p2pshare lovers..... http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-tvtro-admin-scammer-332769

Sanka113
01-30-2009, 12:49 AM
As long as the content doesn't change they can start spamming me bitsoup style for all I care.

Unstable1
01-30-2009, 01:05 AM
I think most people caught up in the bittorrent world have selfish intentions, but thats just my opinion. i alsio believe there are those who do it for the love and because they care, but unfortunately those are the few of the crowd.

I don't have no proof on this so i guess you can call it non-exceptable, but that doesn't change the fact that these kind of people really do exist, and they are the majority.

Really, I think you need to re-evaluate your opinions. Never in all my time at FST have I read so much bullshit in one thread from one person.

To say you're cynical (and naive) in the extreme would be putting it mildly.

You really haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Albo Da Kid
01-30-2009, 01:40 AM
^To you it might be bullshit because you haven't been through enough fucked up and disappointing situations, therefore you are the naive one.
Have you ever seen or heard tracker staff not disabling a trader for the sake of being a donor?? What about staff being traders and invite sellers themselves? What about respected guys playing double roles, good guys and then soon to be exposed as big time traders and sellers....
I'm guessing you haven't been through any of this shit, and to you this kind of discussions might sound ridiculous.

If you witnessed any of this stuff, and you still believe that everyone in the torrend world is a saint..., than you are delusional

Plus there's more ways then you know to make money of this Bitorrent thing, which im not willing to talk about in here. But someone smart knows how to profit without getting in trouble, nor building a bed reputation on themselves.

kareemamir
01-30-2009, 02:04 AM
No one says u need to donate. Why not be like most people and bookmark broswe.php, you will never see the announcements.

Most people are there for content and do not give a flying shit about anything esle. I dontated when I first joine, will I donate again? No.

Seriously, who cares? If you owned TL, you would try to get as much money as u can, after all, you do not need to provide TL with anyting and look what you get for being a member.

Cokeman
01-30-2009, 03:58 AM
If you dont like the way TL or Sct is going you have 2 options.
1st give ou delete your accounts
2nd build and run your own tracker and we will talk in a few months...
Seriously people have no idea wht it takes to run a decent tracker.
Ok sct is making some money with invites and tl with pub.Everything is a bizness now a days.

So get over it.

I actually stoped playing travian.Damm addicting gamelol

Frolsa84
01-30-2009, 03:58 AM
Probably the only tracker where I have browse.php bookmarked (out of 6 or 7 I have). I don't care how they get their money, it's a great tracker and it suits a part of my torrent needs perfectly.

colbert
01-30-2009, 04:03 AM

HAHA I get it :shutup:

(I)
01-30-2009, 06:08 AM
If TL kept its current level of content, speed, I don't care

Marduk
01-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Don't care as long as the site doesn't change.

r3volut1onx
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
everything they do they make for profit ;)

integral
01-30-2009, 09:10 AM
the entire thing is for profit. get adblocker, stop reading their stupid news page, and just focus on their downloads. the only thing you should be worried about is your ip being handed over to authorities when they're taken down.

lhnz
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
the entire thing is for profit. get adblocker, stop reading their stupid news page, and just focus on their downloads. the only thing you should be worried about is your ip being handed over to authorities when they're taken down.Or your username/password being taken, and them logging in to your other torrent site accounts to sell them on eBay...
I wouldn't put it past them.

Unstable1
01-30-2009, 10:22 AM
the entire thing is for profit. get adblocker, stop reading their stupid news page, and just focus on their downloads. the only thing you should be worried about is your ip being handed over to authorities when they're taken down.Or your username/password being taken, and them logging in to your other torrent site accounts to sell them on eBay...

Well, if you use the same password on every torrent site, one could argue you deserve it! :lol:

Sanka113
01-30-2009, 10:51 AM
the entire thing is for profit. get adblocker, stop reading their stupid news page, and just focus on their downloads. the only thing you should be worried about is your ip being handed over to authorities when they're taken down.

I'm using adblocker but the site's display is shite now. I guess they changed something on it to mess with adblocks filters.

lhnz
01-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Or your username/password being taken, and them logging in to your other torrent site accounts to sell them on eBay...

Well, if you use the same password on every torrent site, one could argue you deserve it! :lol:No you don't. Most people have 20+ sites they use on the internet, and that's way too many usernames and passwords to remember.

In the past they used to recommend that everybody creates a different username/password for each site, but that's just not possible, and that's why people have code stuff like en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID

puckface
01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
In the past they used to recommend that everybody creates a different username/password for each site, but that's just not possible

For Windows: http://www.roboform.com/
For Mac: http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password

both of those will generate and remember and backup all of your passwords. so, its not impossible, in fact its very easy to do. I do not have 2 sites that use the same password, and all passwords are 17 characters long and a combo or alphanumeric and symbols.

Unstable1
01-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Well, if you use the same password on every torrent site, one could argue you deserve it! :lol:No you don't. Most people have 20+ sites they use on the internet, and that's way too many usernames and passwords to remember.

In the past they used to recommend that everybody creates a different username/password for each site, but that's just not possible, and that's why people have code stuff like en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID

I use the same username on every site but a different password on every site. I keep the passwords in a text file, password protected inside a rar file for when I need to look a password up.

You're a fool if you use the same username and password on every site you use.

Aerozin
01-30-2009, 05:33 PM
k, i will tell u the truth.

TL is going to close , and they want to gather as much $$ as they can before closing it

just kidding :p

ban
01-30-2009, 05:59 PM
I couldn't care any less about what the owners of TL do. As long the releases keep coming for me to illegally download for free, then they can do whatever they want. +1 , why all trackers most have small commuty be hard to get so ppl to appreciate them ,why a tracker cannot not have 150000 users and still be appreciated at his true value tl is a great tracker white good speed , pretime and content So that is the problem if hi if are so many users or if staff wants to take some money

(I)
01-30-2009, 06:01 PM
k, i will tell u the truth.

TL is going to close , and they want to gather as much $$ as they can before closing it

just kidding :p

I was preparing for rant :D

brandongriff
01-30-2009, 06:05 PM
id have to agree, selling out, makes me sad...the forums are dead, all those users and no community!

Tokeman
01-30-2009, 06:43 PM
No you don't. Most people have 20+ sites they use on the internet, and that's way too many usernames and passwords to remember.

I use the same username on every site but a different password on every site. I keep the passwords in a text file, password protected inside a rar file for when I need to look a password up.

You're a fool if you use the same username and password on every site you use.

Ditto. 1 text file, inside 1 password protected rar. Keep that rar in an email box and on a flashy and you're set!
Not hard...

Anyone who gets 'hacked' for having the same user/pass or even similar username/pass on multiple sites deserves to loose their accounts, sorry.

nbo
01-30-2009, 08:00 PM
lol what r u talking about, selling out?
they are money making machines which is their main interest, do you know how much the admin profits a month? you would be shocked...
since when has TL been about community? lol

look all this doesnt prevent it from possibly being the best tracker out there but make no mistake, maybe they started out once with different interests but i can assure you that today surely are not a community tracker

Albo Da Kid
01-30-2009, 08:06 PM
^^LOL finally someone who isn't blinded by all the bullshit that gets thrown around. In the end it's always about motha****** money

Duckater
01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
OLD news TL is a money making machine but it is one of many, a lot of trackers with wait times do so to gain money. On one tracker they don't like it if you only seed to just over 1 with a tracker as this means that more people can seed to 1 and keep out of wait times when if you seed more they have wait times and then are likely to donate to get rid of them creating the site more money for the admins.

Torn
01-31-2009, 02:22 AM
Most trackers are an online business. If people want to pay, then they pay.

It's not as if TL is forcing people to give them money. If their ethics bother you, there are PLENTY of other general trackers. :)

vpg8000
01-31-2009, 02:38 AM
Was TL ever a non-profit organization that existed solely on providing a warm fuzzy feeling for all of its members? No.

Everyone gotta pay bills. Why should TL be any different than the average joe? I for one won't bust their balls for this.

When I see those huge announcements, I just delete and keep enjoying the tracker. They're gonna have to do a lot more than what they're doing to turn me off.

Cabalo
01-31-2009, 02:41 AM
i just registered their poker tourney. wish me luck.

NippleCake
01-31-2009, 06:25 PM
its worth a fair bit... ..http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.torrentleech.org

dango
01-31-2009, 06:52 PM
as long this donations and money keep that site alive who cares?

nbo
01-31-2009, 11:46 PM
TL is not about paying bills, its about netting a few hundred K a year.
is there something wrong with that? no
but do not confuse the two.

kelfa
02-01-2009, 02:11 AM
They can go a little over board with the money requesting, but they still have TONS of great content, good speeds, and its easy as hell to seed back on.

Lovestoned
02-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Hey, they know that lots of torrent users have big e-penises so they made VIP leech.

And when there's VIP leeching the buffer for them gets even higher, so it's a win-win situation to both the e-penis and the VIP leechers.

ph03n1ks
02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
In the last few days, we've seen:

2. Secretive forum posts from w00t saying that 'if you have a credit card with $10 on it, PM me and you'll get a year's VIP membership'... no more details.

I know a guy who did this, there is nothing underhanded about it.
They make money from a referral, my budy got vip, and it didn't cost him any money.
No big deal imo.

Yeah, they run promotions, but at least I'm not geting a pm every 2 days asking for donations a la bitsoup.