PDA

View Full Version : Uk Travel

hobbes
09-14-2003, 11:24 PM
My employer is suggesting that I cross the Atlantic.

If an American were to vistit the Uk, is there anything he should be aware of to protect his safety?

Would an American accent in certain places be dangerous?

In other words, if someone were coming to the UK, what advice would you give?

J'Pol
09-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Which part of the UK ?

jay973
09-14-2003, 11:28 PM
So long as you use your commonn sense and keep your wits about you then you will be fine. :)

hobbes
09-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@15 September 2003 - 00:27
Which part of the UK ?
Let us presume that anywhere is possible. Would that matter? Remember, I will be happy to vist and counsel Hypoluxa.

Rat Faced
09-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@14 September 2003 - 23:24

If an American were to vistit the Uk, is there anything he should be aware of to protect his safety?

Bring a raincoat....and dont touch the swill they call beer in the south ;)

jay973
09-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Ill agree with that.Just visit the north. :D

hobbes
09-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced+15 September 2003 - 00:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced &#064; 15 September 2003 - 00:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@14 September 2003 - 23:24

Bring a raincoat....and dont touch the swill they call beer in the south ;) [/b][/quote]
RF,

In 1993, I spent 2 weeks in London, I understand the climate, I was just wondering about the response of locals to an obvious American.

When I was in France, they were rude little turds.

edited decade of travel

Rat Faced
09-14-2003, 11:40 PM
Generally the British people, like the American people, dont give a stuff about world politics; its the person they look at.

Unless of course, your planning on doing a SWAT at a Mosque or something :P

I certainly have never heard of any "racism" towards Americans...

jay973
09-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Americans are welcome all over the UK.You wont have a problem here at all.As for the French :angry: ............dont get me started on them......... :lol:

internet.news
09-14-2003, 11:46 PM
Most places of interest are full of foreigners anyway so you would go unnoticed. I lived in Cambridge for a while and Chester for a few years and there would be at least 30 different nationalities in the city centre at any one time (including many americans). I have probably appeared on hundreds of holiday photos when doing my shopping in the background. One time I was in London adn was trying to ask for directions adn it wasn&#39;t until the 5th person that they spoke english.
My wife&#39;s from another country and was nervous about living here but was amazed by the multinational society we have.
Enjoy your trip and follow the Lonely planet guide book or something like it.

Recommendations:
London
Cornwall (only in the summer)
Bath
Cambridge
Chester
Manchester
and long winding roads through the countryside.

As far as anywhere unsafe?.........As in any city in the world there are rougth parts to each one but - why would you go to that part of town (and they arn&#39;t so bad anyway)?

Rat Faced
09-14-2003, 11:49 PM
Let me add to samsamsamsam&#39;s recommendations by pointing out that the American Tourist Industry place Newcastle Upon Tyne in the Top Ten in the world for a good night out....

clocker
09-14-2003, 11:50 PM
I&#39;m sure you will be fine , Hobbes.

Pack your own ice- they still use Lucas refridgerators.

hobbes
09-14-2003, 11:51 PM
May I expose my ignorance? When I say UK, I mean England, Scotland, Wales (the country of my ancestors), and Ireland (north and south).

I would hate to appear and be a victim because I didn&#39;t understand what my presence meant to the locals.

I, of course, would love to explore London again, but I would like to see the whole of the UK. I am Welsh by ancestry, according to my grandmother.

As an American I am Welsh, Irish and German. I just don&#39;t want my appearance and accent to be a problem.

In 1983, your beer was not cold, has that been fixed?

mesmeric
09-14-2003, 11:52 PM
Uk is probably one of the safest countries in the world really. probably safer than the us. Some beautifull areas. I would be more worried about the flight over:)

mes

internet.news
09-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Let me add to samsamsamsam&#39;s recommendations by pointing out that the American Tourist Industry place Newcastle Upon Tyne in the Top Ten in the world for a good night out....

One of the best cities in the UK for a night out

hobbes
09-14-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by mesmeric@15 September 2003 - 00:52
Uk is probably one of the safest countries in the world really. probably safer than the us. Some beautifull areas. I would be more worried about the flight over:)

mes
No doubt about the beauty. If 28 days later does any justice, it shows how beautiful your country is.

sArA
09-14-2003, 11:57 PM
You will find that its pretty much the same but different if you catch my drift.

Having joined this forum when I lived in Boston, and having been back in the UK since June I can give a pretty reasonable perspective I think.

The eating out is not so good unless you pay lots.

In fact pretty much everything is more expensive.

You buy cigarettes from the shop (not the pharmacy&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; how strange&#33;&#33;)

Its a fairly safe place unless you go somewhere obviously dodgy, remember, very few guns.

Most people are pretty tolerant and friendly...just allow for the English reserve.

Brits have a tendency to swear a lot....dont worry they are often just saying hello&#33;

pol
09-15-2003, 12:00 AM
In 1983, I spent 2 weeks in London, I understand the climate, I was just wondering about the response of locals to an obvious American.

hey hobbes :)

it&#39;s all up to you i suppose, like with anything. you already know about the weather and stuff, so the rest is just take people as you find them. this place has it&#39;s fair share of twats like anywhere else, just try to avoid them. personally i dont know anyone that would noise you up just for the sake of your nationality.

internet.news
09-15-2003, 12:01 AM
....and you can smoke in more places than the US&#33;

Having grown up here I want out and have lived in Thailand for a couple of years. Having returned I find that from other people&#39;s perspective it&#39;s a good place to visit - but expensive compared with other more interesting holidays.

Rat Faced
09-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by samsamsamsam@14 September 2003 - 23:54

New Orleans and Rio are in the UK?

They were on the same list :P

Rat Faced
09-15-2003, 12:05 AM
In 1983, your beer was not cold, has that been fixed?

Hobbes

I did mention to avoid that swill they call beer in the south....(Warm and Flat eww )

In the North its Cold, as it should be...

hobbes
09-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Rat Faced+15 September 2003 - 01:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced &#064; 15 September 2003 - 01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-samsamsamsam@14 September 2003 - 23:54

New Orleans and Rio are in the UK?

They were on the same list :P [/b][/quote]
New Orleans?

Actually a great American city, but I have no boobs to appease the locals. I guess I must work that much harder to win their afffection.

internet.news
09-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Sorry - typo. (not the world - the North East of England)

internet.news
09-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Why&#39;s your employer suggesting the UK? Try to find an angle for a trip to South East Asia - dirt cheap, fun, interesting, better weather, and is no where near Doncaster (never lived there but probably the worst city in the world).

I know you want to check out ancestry but look down the tree some more. Apart from that, you&#39;re very welcome here and enjoy your visit.

Biggles
09-15-2003, 12:27 AM
Hobbes

I think you would be safe most places - but I wouldn&#39;t recommend sitting in a perspex box. We already have an American doing that and he is coming in for a little gentle ribbing. (I thought the remote control helicopter dangling a burger particularly inventive)

Glasgow has an ill-deserved reputation for being a bit rough - it has a lot of fine restaurants and watering holes - and lots of very cold beer and bars that stay open into the small hours.

Enjoy you trip.

internet.news
09-15-2003, 12:30 AM
but I wouldn&#39;t recommend sitting in a perspex box. We already have an American doing that and he is coming in for a little gentle ribbing. (I thought the remote control helicopter dangling a burger particularly inventive)

lol :D :D :D

J'Pol
09-15-2003, 01:05 AM
Seriously, just stick to England, you don&#39;t want to be going anywhere else, there is no point. There is nothing of cultural or historic significance anywhere else in the UK. I hope you enjoy your visit, if you make it.

Biggles
09-15-2003, 06:40 PM
:P

JPaul, are you on commission from the English tourist board?

Would you deny Hobbes the delights of haggis, shortbread, kilts and the Sunday Post? Oh such perfidy&#33; We have to suffer can&#39;t we share it around?

:D

thewizeard
09-15-2003, 07:00 PM
While you are over you should visit the Netherlands...Somehow I think you would like it more than the UK. The beer is better. They have still to learn in the UK how to brew decent beer, north or south.

If you&#39;re determined to go to the UK, then I would suggest Armour. You could probably pick some up pretty cheap in the east end of London. The best defense you can take with you is,..... manners.....(doesn&#39;t work everywhere)

hobbes
09-15-2003, 09:00 PM
I got some "manners" last night on eBay but they haven&#39;t arrived yet, you assh*le.

I guess my concern is not my overall safety walking about, it was more the pub scene. Last time there I was just a wee lad, not old enough for such endeavors.

Over here, people are fascinated with British and Australian accents, it is a total chick magnet. If you are in a bar, the locals are more likely to buy a beer for your accent than anything else. You&#39;re like a little celebrity.

I was just wondering the reaction to an American accent in a crowded bar. Would old JPaul arise from his seat in the back, with a sudden hush descending. Would he say, "O&#39; looky here, it George Dub-yah, &#39;ello govna&#39;&#33; " Switchblades start to click open.

I have watched American Werewolf in London, so I know not to ask "what that thing on the wall is?" You are placed on the moors at night for this offense.

Proper Bo
09-15-2003, 10:20 PM
This has been one well, interesting topic. Quite frankly, I think you&#39;re expecting a bit much. If people heard you talking in a bar and heard your accent, there would be no mention of it. You aren&#39;t anything special :P and nobody would give a shit ;)
(there&#39;s that english tendency to swear :D ) The only thing I would say you&#39;d need to be slightly careful is if you go into the dodgey areas in any city and into the pubs there. Just don&#39;t look anyone in the eye and you might not get stabbed ;)

liquidacid
09-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by JPaul+ 15 September 2003 - 02:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul &#064; 15 September 2003 - 02:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Seriously, just stick to England, you don&#39;t want to be going anywhere else, there is no point. There is nothing of cultural or historic significance anywhere else in the UK. I hope you enjoy your visit, if you make it. [/b]
I cannot believe you said that. I know a few people in Glasgow who, having been born there, don&#39;t really like the place. But you cannot say there is nothing of cultural or historical interest. I believe you yourself live in Glasgow. Where i wonder - Castlemilk? Easterhouse?

Having lived in the West End of Glasgow for years now, i really love the place. There&#39;s masses of culture in Glasgow, theatre, museums, art galleries, not to mention the best Victorian architecture to be found anywhere. And that&#39;s not even mentioning Edinburgh, which is second only to London for richness of culture and history.

So you might gather Hobbes, that i suggest you come to Scotland - Glasgow and Edinburgh are great places to visit. I&#39;ve done a lot of travelling, and still rate Scotland very highly as a destination.

To answer the original question regarding safety. You&#39;ll be fine mate&#33; :)

EDIT
<!--QuoteBegin-Proper Bo@ I tell thee, 15 September 2003 - 23:20
Just don&#39;t look anyone in the eye and you might not get stabbed [/quote]
That&#39;s an awful exaggeration.

hobbes
09-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Proper Bo@ I tell thee,15 September 2003 - 23:20
This has been one well, interesting topic. Quite frankly, I think you&#39;re expecting a bit much. If people heard you talking in a bar and heard your accent, there would be no mention of it. You aren&#39;t anything special :P&nbsp; and nobody would give a shit ;)
(there&#39;s that english tendency to swear :D ) The only thing I would say you&#39;d need to be slightly careful is if you go into the dodgey areas in any city and into the pubs there. Just don&#39;t look anyone in the eye and you might not get stabbed ;)
Same here. Eye contact with Hispanic males is considered a challenge to their masculinity. The shorter they are, the more angry they be.

One thing I have learned in bars is that some people are willing to die over a trivial matter. I value my life too much, and have no interest in bar fights and such.

I&#39;m still worried about the moors at night, though.

sArA
09-15-2003, 10:33 PM
So....which part of this wonderful Island are you going to be visiting?

Our lovely tourist board officials (particularly the Glaswegian ones) will give you a full and varied perspective on the vibrant culture you will be experiencing.

You will then have a greater idea of what you can expect and can take notes beforehand, thus preventing any Americanised stereotyped faux pas you might otherwise make&#33;

Proper Bo
09-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@15 September 2003 - 23:32

Same here.&nbsp; Eye contact with Hispanic males is considered a challenge to their masculinity.&nbsp; The shorter they are, the more angry they be.

One thing I have learned in bars is that some people are willing to die over a trivial matter.&nbsp; I value my life too much, and have no interest in bar fights and such.
it&#39;s called "short man syndrome" a lot of little skinhead men round here have it and try to start fights randomly <_<

PS Beware the moon lad, stick to the path :ph34r:

@liquidacid...true but it does depend on where you are, I&#39;ve been in some damn shady places around here, quite scary sometimes. Seen people get glassed/bottled/stabbed over nothing

Rat Faced
09-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Seen people get glassed/bottled/stabbed over nothing

Were they wearing Red n White, or speaking with a Mackum accent?

You fu-el....

Proper Bo
09-15-2003, 10:41 PM
im not sure, but they were drinking ace lager and were asking "who&#39;s keeys are theys?"

Rat Faced
09-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Well, it wasnt for nothing then......definatly Mackums ;)

hobbes
09-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Proper Bo+ I tell thee,15 September 2003 - 23:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Proper Bo &#064; I tell thee,15 September 2003 - 23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@15 September 2003 - 23:32

Same here. Eye contact with Hispanic males is considered a challenge to their masculinity. The shorter they are, the more angry they be.

One thing I have learned in bars is that some people are willing to die over a trivial matter. I value my life too much, and have no interest in bar fights and such.
it&#39;s called "short man syndrome" a lot of little skinhead men round here have it and try to start fights randomly <_<

PS Beware the moon lad, stick to the path :ph34r:

[/b][/quote]
Isn&#39;t Lamsey a skin-head or is he reformed? I still remember the angry Lamsey avatar.

Too be honest, I really have no fear whatsoever, I have no expectation of poor treatment, and I was pondering that this mentality was the best way to get into trouble. I just thought I would ask to be on the safe side.

As to where I would go, Sara. We are talking speculation on speculation. The thought came up yesterday and since many y&#39;all (Texas word) are from the island I knew I would get plenty of reliable feedback.

Proper Bo
09-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@15 September 2003 - 23:44
Well, it wasnt for nothing then......definatly Mackums ;)
:lol:
http://netmag.vpwsys.co.uk/ppl/mackem.gif
http://www.toonarmyusa.com/images/Other/mackems.jpg

hobbes
09-15-2003, 10:57 PM
So anyway with my charm and new wardrobe, I&#39;m sure to be a hit.
Here is a close-up of my newest shirt.

http://eastbilt.com/soceer2.jpg

Proper Bo
09-15-2003, 10:59 PM
The fact that it says "soccer" is like adding salt into the wound. There&#39;s another point, don&#39;t say soccer, you&#39;ll get a punch ;)

Lilmiss
09-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by liquidacid+15 September 2003 - 22:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (liquidacid @ 15 September 2003 - 22:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

<!--QuoteBegin-Proper Bo@ I tell thee, 15 September 2003 - 23:20
Just don&#39;t look anyone in the eye and you might not get stabbed
That&#39;s an awful exaggeration. [/b][/quote]
is it? :blink:

DanB
09-15-2003, 11:09 PM
for most parts i feel. dont u? :o

Proper Bo
09-15-2003, 11:10 PM
for most parts yes, but there are still some dodgey areas, you sir, must be a southerner :P

DanB
09-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Yep, i&#39;m from sarf of the river :lol: *dodgy cockney accent*

Lilmiss
09-15-2003, 11:14 PM
stay off the moors. :D

Proper Bo
09-15-2003, 11:16 PM
yeah, there&#39;s f**k all there&#33; :lol:
you wanna come to newcastle, the night out place of the UK :D

liquidacid
09-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by lilmiss@ 16 September 2003 - 00:01
is it? Yes, of course it is. While there are some very dodgy pubs in Newcastle (my birth place btw), Glasgow, and indeed most cities, you would be very very unlucky to get stabbed for looking at someone. That&#39;s rubbish. :(

DanB
09-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by lilmiss@16 September 2003 - 00:14
stay off the moors.&nbsp; :D
No moors near me :D

there&#39;s a big park though. hope there not one in there&#33; http://www.sighost.us/members/danb/couch.gif

Rat Faced
09-15-2003, 11:23 PM
http://www.toonarmyusa.com/images/Other/mackems.jpg

Knew it.

Typical Mackem.........almost human, arent they?

Proper Bo
09-15-2003, 11:25 PM
have you checked the url of that pic rat? it&#39;s quite impressive :)

Rat Faced
09-16-2003, 01:12 AM
toonarmyusa.....gowd

Those bloody Geordies get everywhere.....