PDA

View Full Version : Xp Tips And Tricks

Secret Squirrel
09-15-2003, 03:14 AM
Well i thought about making a post where ALL the xp tips and tricks can be found in one place. Im not that knowledgeable about computers so i thought the whole forum could contribute to this. Hopefully it'll get L337 enuff to get sticked ;)

Yes... SO POST!!!

Mr. Blunt
09-15-2003, 03:37 AM
http://www.tweakxp.com

Wolfmight
09-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Tweaking barely improves Speed... it has a high chance or causeing problems than speeding things up.. Dont tweak unless u know what it really does.

Evil Gemini
09-15-2003, 03:40 AM
this one is if you have Nero. I dont know if it work for 6 but it should (for windows XP)

go to control panel>AdminTools>services and look for IMAPI CD COM service. Right click on it, go properties and under start up type drop down list choose Disabled and when you boot up nero, it should start up faster :D

There are alot of things you can disable to make your pc run smoother. I have also disabled the automatic update and that doesnt bother me ne more.

Just becarefull what you do in there.

I have a few more tips but ill leave it for others :D

Secret Squirrel
09-15-2003, 05:23 AM
Not really a tip but then again i said im not that much of a comp masta

DEFRAG UR COMP:

Use diskeeper 8.0 or any other good defrag program here is sig:

File:Diskeeper Professional 8.0.459.0 Full by FOSI.exe
Length:19665500 Bytes, 19204KB
UUHash:=2dF0Z0cVN/C8V7iPjFAUak9tMvU=

Secret Squirrel
09-15-2003, 05:25 AM
Speed up ur internet
Sig from sharedholder and this description from sharedholder Thanks man!

File:accsetup-1_157894.exe
Length:1087040 Bytes,1062KB
UUHash:=Ml5FByAQU0dtXLtBrtFb1CAODPQ=

Accelerate Snapshot

Boosts your connection speed by up to 300%
Web pages load and display in a flash
Files download faster saving you lots of time
No new hardware needed so you save money
One click settings for simple, fast setup
Works with all modem and network connections

Here's how Webroot Accelerate boosts your surfing speed

Allows you to optimize Windows network registry settings with the help of a user-friendly "acceleration wizard"

MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) optimizes packet length
PMTU (Path Maximum Transfer Unit) Auto Discover allow routers to negotiate packet sizes
Condition of Line options checks data line quality
RWIN (Receive Window) value maximizes data reception
NDI Cache Size matches modem type to NWLink protocol
Set Time To Live (TTL) value specifies how many "hops" your Internet connection will allow and more.

Features

Up to 300% faster connection speed

Accelerate speeds up data transfer speeds so web pages display faster and image, music and video file downloads take much less time.

Increases overall system performance

Optimizing Windows modem/network settings also maximizes the overall data transfer efficiency of your current hardware so you get more out of the system you have without investing in costly new hardware.

Accelerates all types of Internet connections

Accelerate increases data transfer speeds for:

Dial-up modems
Cable modems
DSL modems
Local area networks (LANs)
Wizard makes it easy

Setting up and fine-tuning your computer for optimized network performance is a snap with the Accelerate 2K3 Wizard – even if you are not a technically advanced computer user.

Supports all browsers

Accelerate works with all popular browsers and Internet utilities

Why you need Accelerate to boost your Internet speed

Default Windows systems settings are not configured to transfer data at maximum speeds.
Hardware upgrades to increase PC performance can be expensive and complicated.
Broadband connection service is not available in many areas.

File:accsetup-1_157894.exe
Length:1087040 Bytes,1062KB
UUHash:=Ml5FByAQU0dtXLtBrtFb1CAODPQ=

MediaSlayer
09-15-2003, 10:07 AM
this is livy's link but i just wanted to support your thread i was hoping for something like this because there are too many xp patches,tweaks,versions,ect...scattered about. link (http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html)

Secret Squirrel
09-15-2003, 03:28 PM
I got this forum from a guy when i was asking a question hey pm me cuz i forgot ur name anywayz go to this site for hardcore troubleshootin on any OS http://www.suggestafix.com/

MuGen_PoWeR
09-15-2003, 04:31 PM
i think this really belongs at the tip section

Secret Squirrel
09-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Not really a tip juss common knowledge. Ur windows probably does this automatically. To fix buggy ness and MAYBE QUITE possibly make ur comp go faster get all the windows updates that Microsoft releases.

clocker
09-16-2003, 12:01 AM
Secret Squirrel,

Did you TEST your connection speed before and after using Webroot Accelerator to see if it really made any difference?

Just curious...

Secret Squirrel
09-16-2003, 02:45 AM
No I just trust sharedholder :)

Speaking of sharedholder HELP US OUT HERE SHARED HOLDER!!!

Secret Squirrel
09-17-2003, 12:46 AM
Nero Burning Rom 6.0.0.15 Overburning fix

Since Nero Burning Rome 6,0,0,15 is not to be over-burned it unfortunately any longer possible CDs. The support of Ahead makes however since short a Patch available for this problem.

This fix the overburning problem from Nero Burning Rom 6.0.0.15.

Got this from share holder: http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/3/7/3-7-82.shtml

Secret Squirrel
09-17-2003, 12:51 AM
A good FTP Guide:

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=11599

Guide by Xeroxed got the link from james_bond_rulez ( Sorry if i mispelled)

MUSLEMAN
09-17-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by clocker@15 September 2003 - 20:01
Secret Squirrel,

Did you TEST your connection speed before and after using Webroot Accelerator to see if it really made any difference?

Just curious...
clocker i did and mine did make a difference, i'm begining to like webroots stuff, and it free :lol:

MediaSlayer
09-17-2003, 02:43 AM
Xp tip#45e80rfckinplayrscks45jer9j4058u

Recently, I made the mistake of installing the real stupid player and I wanted to share a windows xp tip with anyone who finds it useful. Do not install this player at all. If you must install it, during installation when it asks about associations, choose none. That is, try to set it up so that the player isn't associated with ANY files, not even real media:) I made the mistake of allowing the real stupid player to be associated with a few filetypes other than real media files and boy am I paying for that mistake. This b*tch of a player changed a sh*tload of associations and I had to go back and undo everything manually and the icons are still f*cked up now. As a side note, I'm seriously considering adding a "suggested players/associations" section to my website whenever I get around to designing it. F*ck, and what's worse is now I learn that it also installs spyware. There is a directshow decoder for realmedia files(check out doom9's forum) but its limited and besides, I never heard a single bad thing about the real player so I thought it was safe.

Secret Squirrel
09-17-2003, 03:52 AM
Yay thanks for input guys. Butz we need more people to contribute ;)

Secret Squirrel
09-17-2003, 05:27 AM
Hey is ur boottime really really really slow? Well microsoft just released a new program called (Not sure about new juss putting it there cuz I juss heard about it now) BOOTVIS. SUPPOSED to speed up ur boottime get it HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.mspx)

MediaSlayer
09-17-2003, 06:21 AM
I downloaded a file the size is 1,136,924bytes i just noticed inside the zip there is no readme just a "setupex" exe. The zipped folder just says "ispeed" zip. Shoot. I forgot where I got it from but supposedly it can help your registry and speed up your internet connection. This sounds fishy. Any thoughts? I havent't installed it yet.

DarthInsinuate
09-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Tweaktown (http://www.tweaktown.com) have some nice tips