PDA

View Full Version : Defragging

MjrGamersMom
09-15-2003, 03:41 AM
:unsure: my pc is really bogging down, I've tried running the scan disc and tried defragging and the progs that i have malfunctioning. does anyone have a prog or advice on how to clean up my pc so that it runs faster.
any help would be appreciated

clocker
09-15-2003, 03:45 AM
Probably the most certain course would be a complete reformat and fresh reinstall of the OS.

Pain in the ass, granted, but it will work.

Wolfmight
09-15-2003, 03:47 AM
maybe the hd is allmost full.. did u check?
hmm could be a major registry error or so. Try to get a copy of Norton System Works 2003 and run the 1 button checkup.. or Windoctor in it.
Norton Ultilities is only 2001 or so and doesnt have good support for Xp.. The new versions only come with Systemworks 2003.(which is kinda like 100mb or so in size.. :unsure: )
Also might be a virus, U got a good Antivirus like Norton Antivirus, Panda, AVG?

balamm
09-15-2003, 03:53 AM
Damn, someone's living dangerously. Why on earth would you post a question about defragging in the lounge?

Moved.

Obviously.

Risknothin
09-15-2003, 05:16 AM
i would combine a bunch of things

1. Get a program like window washer to remove files you don't need
2. Uninstall programs you never use
3. Run Adaware and Spybot
4. Download norton systemworks and run one button check up like wolfmight said
5. run Speed disk in Systemworks or get a different defrag utility like Perfect disk or diskeeper 8 (which is my fav)

and only if your still having problems format and start over

skelley521
09-15-2003, 10:30 AM
What OS are you running?
Goto my Computer and right click on your 'C' drive (or whatever your drive letter is) and select properties. Then select the Tools tab and run scandisk.
You may have bad sectors or errors on the drive. XP requires a restart to scan where 98 will do it on demand. Also have it to auto repair any errors.

Hope this helps,
Steve

DarthInsinuate
09-15-2003, 02:08 PM
I was running ME and my computer was starting to get bogged down - I formatted it and installed XP, and its running very nicely now

RedRival
09-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by clocker@15 September 2003 - 04:45
Probably the most certain course would be a complete reformat and fresh reinstall of the OS.

I full reformat is the best treatment. And ater you've done so, make a limit on the number of programs you have installed at one time. Eg, make sure you uninstall one program to install another when you hit your number of limits and make usre there's some spare space left. When uninstalling, always use a regcleaner to remove unwanted reg data. Always defrag or virus scan once in one or two weeks.
That's my ultimum to PC upkeeping.

Wolfmight
09-15-2003, 02:32 PM
before you run checkdisk.. check both options.. It will ask to restart.. Do so.

exeus
09-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by clocker@15 September 2003 - 03:45

i agree with (clocker)

MetroStars
09-15-2003, 03:42 PM

yep this is the BEST soloution, it's gr8 when u wipe your PC and then turn it on again and it's super fast and super fresh :lol:

Kunal
09-15-2003, 05:21 PM
I agree with the previous posts, format! I format mine every month, keeps it fresh and fast! ive got a 16 second start up! :D (got a amd xp 2000+ with 512DDR)