PDA

View Full Version : whats the most useful app?

pig098
02-05-2009, 01:28 AM
what do u think the most useful window app is?
just asking out of curiosity

db_la_23
02-05-2009, 01:59 AM
wat kind of apps?

lowik
02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
tuneup utilities 2009 ( the latest version anyway) is very good for keeping ur system up an running and customising ur sys as well.
( to download it type "tuneup utilities lowik piroman" in google)

other then that... it depends what u need it for, subedit is good for playing movies, it comes with a codec pack so all movies will work.

spybot search and destroy for keeping ur pc out of spying stuff

Cabalo
02-05-2009, 06:47 PM
winrar and daemon tools

Frankthetank1
02-06-2009, 03:17 AM
utorrent winrar and daemon tools imgburn

Mystic
02-06-2009, 12:27 PM
uTorrent & my usenet client, alt.binz :D

micropino
02-06-2009, 01:49 PM
winrar and avafind

Ahmed047
02-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Winrar & Hamachi are my best applications

tesco
02-07-2009, 12:16 AM
kind of a stupid question isn't it? :blink:

db_la_23
02-07-2009, 02:24 AM
winrar tuneup 2009 utorrent and KM mediaplayer w Klite

rezdegh
02-07-2009, 11:46 AM
uTorrent

georbe
02-08-2009, 03:53 PM
WinRAR, is the first program that I am installing on fresh Windows installations.
ImgBurn, the best CD/DVD recording software. Lightweight, powerful and free.
uTorrent, because it's tiny, and I am currently having 966 active torrents in my list.
CCleaner, because cleans up your PC without touching anything sensitive...
JkDefrag, it's a tiny for the best defrag of your drives.
GOM Player, it's a media player, that's playing everything, and it has a minimalistic interface.
DU Meter, because it's a must to know what is in and out of your Network Card.
WinDirStat, it's the best way to see what files or folders takes up the most space on your disks.

And of course...
Firefox

Inorbaj
02-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Notepad

Carlpb
02-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Firefox
Winrar
VLC
Google Desktop
Daemon Tools
Cute FTP
Internet Download Manager
RDP
Microsoft Office

mbucari1
02-09-2009, 02:52 AM
kind of a stupid question isn't it? :blink:Yup

SonsOfLiberty
02-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Firefox, pretty redundant? Although Opera is more web client in testing :lol: and many people refuse to try, but since the newest builds of this month, I'm surely impressed, and I've tested it from the alphas. Seriously if you dismissed Opera or though it was a waste, look again, the only thing it's missing is "add-on's" which I love and use both browsers depending on moods, and freakin' spell check...Opera will not spell check like Firefox will, even with ASPell installed.

7-Zip
http://www.7-zip.org/

UnLocker (for when you know stupid Windows won't let you delete a file till reboot or maybe never), well this program is that bomb :)

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

KeePass Yes I bold for a reason, are you as forget full as me, or smoke as much pot as I do? Well this one takes the cake.

Today you need to remember many passwords. You need a password for the Windows network logon, your e-mail account, your homepage's FTP password, online passwords (like website member account), etc. etc. etc. The list is endless. Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem... A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, homepage, etc. Unimaginable.

KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish). For more information, see the features page.

http://keepass.info/

There's many more for me, the list goes on.

yevgeny
02-09-2009, 02:42 PM
most useful for me is ..
Everything Search Engine, voidtools (http://www.voidtools.com/)

some other apps i find useful:
tera copy pro
Ultra ISO
Acronis True Image
FlashFXP
Keepass
Recuva, recover deleted files
Virtual Floppy Drive, vfdwin.exe

Carlpb
02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
@ SonsOfLiberty

Good call on Unlocker

100%
02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
services.exe

Frankthetank1
02-10-2009, 01:42 AM
WinUtilities

TheRatFink
02-11-2009, 08:03 AM
most useful for me is ..
Everything Search Engine, voidtools (http://www.voidtools.com/)

i was just going to put that, pretty amazing piece of software it is. find anything instantly...

1.1 What is "Everything"?

"Everything" is an administrative tool to quickly locate folders and files by filename for Windows.
Unlike Windows search "Everything" initially displays every file and folder on your computer (hence the name "Everything").
You type in a search filter to limit what files and folders are displayed.

1.2 How long will it take to index my files?

"Everything" only uses file and folder names and generally takes a few seconds to build it's database.
A fresh install of Windows XP SP2 (about 20,000 files) will take about 1 second to index.
1,000,000 files will take about 1 minute.

http://www.voidtools.com/faq.php

slither99
02-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Excluding firefox of course

Id say my most useful are CCleaner or Utorrent. Work good together. if i delete something I torrented but keep the torrent file I can then run a quick clean on ccleaner and get my space back.

TinkerBell
02-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I would say:
Firewall
Antivirus
Acronis True image

ssjwkim
02-13-2009, 01:33 AM
i think vim editor.. if not, google calendar

ydhydh
02-13-2009, 09:57 PM
foobar,firefox,kmp,utorrent

markos
02-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Nero, IE, uTorrent, Word, Photoshop

7th
02-14-2009, 12:04 PM
notepad... I really use it a lot! =\

tpyang
02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
firefox, winrar, daemon tools

Paracetamol
02-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Tune-Up Utilities
Notepad2
CCleaner
Defraggler

demonyou
02-26-2009, 12:38 PM
firefox - nothing to say :D;
ccleaner - a good registry and and debris cleaner;
spybot - a good anti-malware tool and protection;
daemon tools, avira
and total commander the best tool for managing files and folders

Wladdy
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
firefox, winrar and utorrent :)

Bone.W.Machine
02-27-2009, 10:51 PM
ccleaner ;)

Frankthetank1
03-03-2009, 01:43 AM
I tried keypass but couldnt figure the damn thing out.

Firefox, pretty redundant? Although Opera is more web client in testing :lol: and many people refuse to try, but since the newest builds of this month, I'm surely impressed, and I've tested it from the alphas. Seriously if you dismissed Opera or though it was a waste, look again, the only thing it's missing is "add-on's" which I love and use both browsers depending on moods, and freakin' spell check...Opera will not spell check like Firefox will, even with ASPell installed.

7-Zip
http://www.7-zip.org/

UnLocker (for when you know stupid Windows won't let you delete a file till reboot or maybe never), well this program is that bomb :)

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

KeePass Yes I bold for a reason, are you as forget full as me, or smoke as much pot as I do? Well this one takes the cake.

Today you need to remember many passwords. You need a password for the Windows network logon, your e-mail account, your homepage's FTP password, online passwords (like website member account), etc. etc. etc. The list is endless. Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem... A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, homepage, etc. Unimaginable.

KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish). For more information, see the features page.

http://keepass.info/

There's many more for me, the list goes on.

Peanut
03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
winrar and daemon tools
i agree^^
others i throw in,
Firefox,ccleaner
Norton Internet security 2005 (F u guys lol i LIKE IT) LOL

Pixel
03-03-2009, 08:56 PM
I tried keypass but couldnt figure the damn thing out.

Try out roboform there is a free version. (http://www.roboform.com/)
I've been using that recently and love it!

Edit:

But Firefox, 7-Zip, cccp codec pack.

Glitterstep
03-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Daemon Tools!!need it for like every game,apps,Videos!!

DarkPrime
03-11-2009, 08:00 PM
utorrent (if Im desperate for something)
soulseek
dvdshrink
alt.binz

4x4
03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
winrar / winamp / utorrent:p

mebaali
03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Utorrent + Peerguardian + 7Zip + MPC-HC

SpectateSwamp
11-28-2011, 04:00 PM
No app can touch my Spectate Swamp Media player

It does random Video, Music, Pictures and text: see examples of everything but the audio
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/video_demo

My next project will be to do a road tour out to a local winery. It will include short videos, with pictures of the route along with some random large text describing the various vintages. Local landmarks will also be thrown in. I'll play that sequence and do a screen reshoot to put up on youtube all with no editing.

I keep my favorites and passwords using it as well. I'll save this post along with the URL; just in case I get Banned for being sooo good.

The player works best for MPG video. Because that is what I shoot. Phooie for being a Jack of all video formats and master of none. Too bad for those dumb asses that collect and play all kinds of video formats. How stupid.

I have 1700+ videos up on YouTube

If you are going to talk about sharing files. First you must have great access. Otherwise you are just dumping files on others. Nobody has better control of their digital assets than this. Nobody.

I can go on and on about this player and most likely will till I'm Banned..

temisturk
11-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Not sure of the policies on necroposting here but what the hell. The single most useful app is your web browser (I prefer Opera but the choice is yours) because its the app which allows you to obtain every other app. After that I'd say your torrent client (mine is utorrent) and jdownloader, for similar reasons (but you need to browse to find the torrents and ddl links), WinRAR and Daemon Tools and ImgBurn for dealing with files you've downloaded. And after that it fans out depending on what it is you're into.

anon
11-29-2011, 11:56 AM
When I saw the title, I thought "yet another iPhone/Android thread"? Anyway, I see most people have mentioned more than one program here, and rightly so. My basic setup is almost the same as temisturk's, except that I use 7-Zip instead of WinRAR, and PowerISO for image files. (Nice to see you use Opera as I have for over five years now. Seems we're a minority :)) Then there's CCleaner, Defraggler for basic maintenance, Total Commander which I began using again this year, Radmin and Filezilla server for passing stuff to and from my netbook/improvised NAS, MPC-HC and ffdshow-tryouts for movies, jDownloader, SABnzbd, and uTorrent for downloads, and some others.

SpectateSwamp
12-03-2011, 04:48 PM
A browser is fine:

If you don't have much for digital assets of your own.

Without thousands of your own video to sample, then you don't need this app. But I do.

Without thousands of family pictures to randomly view and share, then you don't need this app. But I do

Without years and years of notes, emails and URL's to recall, then you don't need this app. But I do.

Without a large music / audio collection to browse, then you don't need this app.

If you are not interested in hunting for Faster Than Sight objects, then you don't need this app. But I do.

If all you want to explore; is other peoples data, then you don't need this app.

Ronhall
12-05-2011, 09:40 AM
i am unable to understand what kind of application you are talking about...but i would like to tell that i like Windows Media Player 11.....

Stabber
12-06-2011, 12:54 AM
This is so general question , there is a useful app for each task

Maybe the most useful app/software would be the OS

wiizard
12-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Mozilla Portable
7-Zip
PowerISO
Aimp
Gom
Daemon Tools