PDA

View Full Version : Is it ever Ok to post someones personal info??

Detale
02-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Now Im not trying to rehash that other thread or my current drama. Anyone bringing that up in here will get an infraction and the post deleted.

So I ask do you all think is is ever acceptable to post someones personal info. Now to be clear I don't mean IP's (even though I dont agree with that either) but personal info like address/phone number/ myspace page :P. I want to know what you guys think about it. I think it's never OK to post someones personal info (even if it's wrong) Obviousment. I feel it crosses a line that should remain from the play world where we all hobby into our real lives. Well whats your opinion?

manbearpig
02-07-2009, 08:21 AM
I personally am TOTALLY against the idea.

The only reason one should post ip/address etc of a person is that if he is a actual criminal/terrorists etc. Otherwise even if he is a hardcore trader I would never put this info on the internet. That's so lame and a stab in the back I believe :)

brightsid
02-07-2009, 08:30 AM
For me it is NO it's NEVER OK.
No doubt and no exception.

Redrum420
02-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Hell no...lots of creeps over the internet you dont know what people can do with personal information.

Swift
02-07-2009, 08:45 AM
No it's not okay because you never know what might happen . You better stay safe then sorry

Cabalo
02-07-2009, 08:47 AM
no, i don't agree at all, as i already said. Back in the time when i was staff at a newsgroups forum, in my country, such kind of posts were happening almost daily, as when you post something at a newsgroup, you have no idea the info that can get harvested through there.
so, there were teams that had scene axx and raced amongst them to see who was the first one to post a full release at the newsgroups. as you can imagine, it was hell on earth. Because no one can rule the newsgroups, everyone does what they want, it's no man's land, and the fighting of course happened at the forum.
and also, a bunch of kids were the usual clients so a stance had to be taken.
each and everyone who posted personal info at the forum and at the newsgroups would get a summary ban. not on the IP or the email, but on the person itself.

so, as later everyone was creating dupe accounts (i think we invented the word multinicks for that), we created a mask based on the user category, that wouldn't allow them to access certain sections of the forum definitively. Plus the cookies were "poisoned", and if you tried to create another account while certain cookies were present, the account would be banned as soon as the user logged in at the site.

if you guys think FST is sometimes a warzone, you should have seen that. It was Vietnam there.

all this to say, that by experience, if an extremely strict policy isn't taken on these issues, things can quickly run out of control.

.... after all, internet is far from being anonymous.

The_Martinator
02-07-2009, 09:07 AM
I think it's not acceptable. Not even as a last resort. It's something to get annoying PMs and mails, totally another to get phone calls letters and such IMO.

Sanka113
02-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Nah dog , you've gotta be a petty little prick who didn't get enough attention from their mother mother as a child, to leak somebodies personal information on the internet or anywhere else for that matter.

dragoi92
02-07-2009, 09:40 AM
no
Personal info are personal
PRIVATE
why to share with other or post?

Shalafi
02-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Ready for Battle?? :)

BlackKnight
02-07-2009, 09:44 AM
of course it's never OK to post anyone's personal info.

Night0wl
02-07-2009, 09:45 AM
While in a few cases it would be alright, it it certainly not when it comes to anything BT/File sharing/scene related and anyone even thinking of doing so should get their head examined.

Like Cabalo said, remove any axx from morons like that, no matter how damn important they think they might be, because they clearly can't be trusted with any personal info. (that goes out to site staff)

teresckova
02-07-2009, 10:22 AM
no,this kind of things are private and should remain private

Detale
02-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Hmm so we have 3 Yes votes had only one explanation. Nice

nthpeter
02-07-2009, 10:36 AM
There could be many reasons to post someone's personal informations (criminals, pedofiles, politicans who steal money from the nation but never get caught, etc...). If there is about only torrenting, i agree with you, dont post personal information :yes:

stitched
02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
NO,its never ok to post some ones info....but whats "ok" for some one is not "ok" for some one else
no matter what anyone does in the bt world,he shouldnt be held resposible in the real world and put in a state of bother (unless u r the riaa or sumthing).....because thats not what fellow pirate does to an other.......

Marduk
02-07-2009, 10:43 AM
There could be many reasons to post someone's personal informations (criminals, pedofiles, politicans who steal money from the nation but never get caught, etc...). If there is about only torrenting, i agree with you, dont post personal information :yes:

So you would post the information on public forums? Why not give it the authorities?

Never acceptable to post someone's personal information on public forums or any other public place. While you may not be stupid enough to act on the information are you certain someone else who reads it isn't?

Funkin'
02-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Of course it's not ok.

nthpeter
02-07-2009, 10:52 AM

So you would post the information on public forums? Why not give it the authorities?

Never acceptable to post someone's personal information on public forums or any other public place. While you may not be stupid enough to act on the information are you certain someone else who reads it isn't?

OK. For those members, who are so **** to understand simple things. Did Detale mentioned WHERE to post the info? What he actually said is that he doesnt want to inform us in this poll why he made this poll, and i havent read the thread he havent mentioned yet. And i havent said that i would post info in public forums. (what i would do when it comes to politicans, because authorities wont catch them because they have power...) So pls, think before you post or stfu.

P.S.: and what if i think its the right thing to post private infos in public places? You will reveal me now, to make your point? You will insult me?

TP635
02-07-2009, 11:00 AM
It is never OK to post personal info in any public forum even if such user is a known ass-cheater. This is a filesharing forum, and by definition we are all doing something that is questionable by the general public.

Marduk
02-07-2009, 11:08 AM
OK. For those members, who are so **** to understand simple things. Did Detale mentioned WHERE to post the info? What he actually said is that he doesnt want to inform us in this poll why he made this poll, and i havent read the thread he havent mentioned yet. And i havent said that i would post info in public forums. (what i would do when it comes to politicans, because authorities wont catch them because they have power...) So pls, think before you post or stfu.

P.S.: and what if i think its the right thing to post private infos in public places? You will reveal me now, to make your point? You will insult me?

Given that this thread is result of someone posting details in a public place I would say he would be referring to public places. Maybe you should read the thread.

Your little P.S: is absolutely stupid considering I would never post someone's details in a public place regardless of there opinion on anything and you would know that if you actually read the post rather then looking for a flame.

Posting details or corrupt politicians or paedophiles in a public place is a really stupid idea and just asking for a lynch mob. If someone were to murdered in such an event the person who leaked those details should be held accountable for the murder.

vobilli
02-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I always thought sharing someone's personal information without permission was illegal. :idunno:

sear
02-07-2009, 11:20 AM
That's a line I wouldn't cross.

jasperr
02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
this poll is stupid...... not saying i approve or disapprove of it... but, does anyone really believe that people are gonna post honest answers to such a loaded question???.. com'on now.. it may be the point of this thread.. but, still.... you would not be able to uses any results from this for anything...

Nemrod
02-07-2009, 12:38 PM
No, never, under any circumstance.

viru5
02-07-2009, 12:42 PM
In my opinion:

No it's NEVER OK and crosses the line

phrenzy
02-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Its never rite to post personal info....

Why when i click the link to this thread is it asking me to accept a security cert. from castfromsociety ?

benficao
02-07-2009, 01:18 PM
1º It is indeed wrong.
2º Youre not a noob detale, meaning, you know what this means perfectly, it has been done before, and probably ( i dont agree whit it ) will be done again.
3º in real live someone would get his ass and face smashed, but this is the internet, and things are done this way, these are the weapons avaible.
PS: i dont think its ok to do it, but i understand, there doesnt seam to be another way to freighten someone..

t7hx9k
02-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Of course not. I wouldn't think about it.
Why are you suddenly bringing it up?

harshytkage
02-07-2009, 02:27 PM
nope no reason whatsoever to do that....we log on to the internet becuase we're completely anonymous and we are known by our screennames, no prejudice and no favourites, on the net, its a level playing feild (ussually ;-))

EL REY
02-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm even shock this is a real question, and a thread made.

Of course its not ok, its **NEVER** right to put someone's real life business out their for the world to see.

And, if you do then you a b'tch & should be handle like one.

Period!!

The Wanderer
02-07-2009, 02:57 PM
No and even if there are times when you really feel the need to do so (from various reasons ;)) it's better imho to not cross that line.

john pal
02-07-2009, 03:11 PM
its not ok. Privacy in the net has to be protected because then its easy to make mistakes of bad judgment. in the net, most of the times, we don't know the people on the front of the screen. impartiality is very difficulty to keep these days when bad things happens every day and you see them all the time. Beside all that I have to say that bad members sometimes deserve it.

hof
02-07-2009, 03:18 PM
obviously no :(

yevgeny
02-07-2009, 03:24 PM
no, it really crosses the line. whats the point? other than showing your ability to gather the info?

phrenzy
02-07-2009, 03:29 PM
People in glass houses should not throw stones....

Alien5
02-07-2009, 03:32 PM
why?

yevgeny
02-07-2009, 03:35 PM
lol im such a douche.

Rigel9
02-07-2009, 05:07 PM
its only ok for the LULZ

alcoholik
02-07-2009, 05:32 PM
:no:

rainbowman
02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
its only ok for the LULZ

someone might get screwed for your "LULZ"

Frolsa84
02-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Of course not. Unless that person screwed someone badly.

Zaxx
02-07-2009, 05:56 PM
The obvious answer is no..never..and under no circumstance is it ok to post up peoples personal deets..I don't care what reasons/excuses are used to try and justify doing so, it's still wrong. Doing such a thing reminds me of scener behavior towards P2P..complete and utter bullshit that accomplishes absolutely nothing in the end. My advice to people who post personal deets (sceners or P2Pers)...GROW UP! And get a life asap. Lifes' too short for bullshit like this...it gets you nowhere and makes you look like a complete ass when it's all said and done. I've been in P2P since 2001 and I have yet to see this type behavior to serve any 'real' benefit to anyone no matter what their (self) justification may be. FFS...wake up! /rant

Detale
02-07-2009, 08:19 PM
this poll is stupid...... not saying i approve or disapprove of it... but, does anyone really believe that people are gonna post honest answers to such a loaded question???.. com'on now.. it may be the point of this thread.. but, still.... you would not be able to uses any results from this for anything...

I see what you're saying but I do have a reason for the poll, it's another way for the idiots who do this type of thing to see how wrong they are in a general way. Why wouldn't people answer honestly?? Now we see that the number of no votes does not match the number of explanations so some people are out there just messing with the results.

1º It is indeed wrong.
2º Youre not a noob detale, meaning, you know what this means perfectly, it has been done before, and probably ( i dont agree whit it ) will be done again.
3º in real live someone would get his ass and face smashed, but this is the internet, and things are done this way, these are the weapons avaible.
PS: i dont think its ok to do it, but i understand, there doesnt seam to be another way to freighten someone..

LOL, well maybe this is an available weapon but it would be the Nuke and we don't use nukes anymore because of the ramifications of it all. If a country were to use one today the rest of teh world would be in an outrage no?

These people are in fact trying to frighten others and bully them into what they think is right this is unacceptable to me and it should be to all of you as well. People who do this should be shunned from the BT community as they are the biggest security risk around far worse than any super trader or anything.

vic
02-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Yes, sometimes people cross the line i can give you tons of examples of people i would be glad to reveal their true details.

Detale
02-07-2009, 10:35 PM
So would I vic I would LOVE to post some peoples details. Still I would never actually go through with it though. This is what separates us from animals

Unstable1
02-07-2009, 11:15 PM
I wonder how many people who voted No would change their mind if the personal details were those of a paedophile. I bet the poll would have totally the reverse results.

That said, in my opinion, no, personal details should never be published without permission, no matter who the individual is, including criminals, terrorists, and paedos.

vic
02-07-2009, 11:20 PM
So would I vic I would LOVE to post some peoples details. Still I would never actually go through with it though. This is what separates us from animals

You are right about the animals, but some people need to be destroyed. ( or at least their online personality ).

bad_mongo
02-07-2009, 11:22 PM
No. Should never be published without permission

dakat
02-08-2009, 01:03 AM
I wonder how many people who voted No would change their mind if the personal details were those of a paedophile. I bet the poll would have totally the reverse results.

That said, in my opinion, no, personal details should never be published without permission, no matter who the individual is, including criminals, terrorists, and paedos.

I voted no but I voted no because I presumed this was linked to bittorrent community not the whole population as a whole. and yes you bet your sweet what ever :) that if I knew of an active pedofile or criminal (minus bittorrenting stuff) I would report them.

pentomato
02-08-2009, 01:11 AM

Phedophiles are people that sexually abuse kids, please don't mix one with the other, doesn't make any sense. People that sexually abuse kids,m they should be hang.

bumrocks
02-08-2009, 01:48 AM
What was the basis of this question being asked?

Detale
02-08-2009, 03:55 AM
LOL don't start you know the reason for the thread well.

bumrocks
02-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Whoops! I just found out actually! I've been without Internet for the last week and am now trying to catch up! It was really a serious question at the time.

So yes, I do know now...My bad!

My answer is "no" btw...

Detale
02-08-2009, 04:17 AM
LOL no internet for a WEEK!!! You poor soul.

Albo Da Kid
02-08-2009, 04:32 AM
My answer is No. Besides the fact that it's immature and lowlifish, it's also dangerous to post someone's personal info just because you had a "Who is the smartest battle" or "Who looks cooler infront of their friends" battle with that person.

I think only the lowest of the low would resort to this tactic to get back at someone.

Dr_Green_Thumb
02-08-2009, 05:50 AM
They must not violate my privates.

cinephilia
02-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Im not trying to rehash that other thread or my current drama
so i guess this poll is just a coincidence :cool:

killercam101
02-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Im not trying to rehash that other thread or my current drama
so i guess this poll is just a coincidence :cool:

http://tinyurl.com/dfo4ry

manbearpig
02-08-2009, 11:12 AM
They must not violate my privates.

privates as in ur wee wee and stuff like that?? :D

jasperr
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I see what you're saying but I do have a reason for the poll, it's another way for the idiots who do this type of thing to see how wrong they are in a general way. Why wouldn't people answer honestly?? Now we see that the number of no votes does not match the number of explanations so some people are out there just messing with the results.

i know your reason for the poll Detale...

the issue is about control, and though my position remains to be somewhat neutral here.. the same thoughts can be applied to another topic as well. the topic here is privacy.. I know that many are not gonna see the relation here nor the ones who do will agree.. but, the same theory can be applied to tracker privacy.. granted personal information can be more damaging.. but, to a degree its applicable ... privacy is still privacy .. on the internetz.. information is power.. i liked your analogy of the nuke, the knowledge of having it makes people nervous... using it is a decision of conscience... in the end though it's a matter of ethics and respect... if you get no respect then ethics will be tossed out the window..

wildbytes
02-08-2009, 05:05 PM
i guess i missed what was posted.

What info was given out?

I have released info but only email and ip's of cheaters and big time assholes on the site. But giving out real names and all that i would say should be a off limits.

But again what kind of info was posted?

Wild

cinephilia
02-08-2009, 05:08 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-riaa-headquaters-finally-revealed-334234

Night0wl
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
i guess i missed what was posted.

What info was given out?

I have released info but only email and ip's of cheaters and big time assholes on the site. But giving out real names and all that i would say should be a off limits.

Wild

Real name, Google map of address, how many members in the family, some late bills to be paid etc. How much of it was correct I don't know, but just the thought of experienced staff doing such things makes me want to disassociate me from them as much as possible.

nickki
02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
no. never ok. you wouldn't want someone to do it to you, so why do it to someone else?

slammers
02-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Never oke!

no. never ok. you wouldn't want someone to do it to you, so why do it to someone else?

here comes the christian!

but I agree, only not in the way you're saying it :)

Lovestoned
02-08-2009, 06:01 PM
It's never okay to be revealing other's personal info as BitTorrent in the FST community is considered to be piracy and if he/she lives in a stringent country then something might just happen.

Who knows?

RainbowLJ
02-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Of course its OK if you hate the person - it would be the right thing to do

droste
02-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Of course its OK if you hate the person - it would be the right thing to do
I agree :)

beco
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Ready for Battle?? :)
I'm yearn to your reactions shalafi :D ....

in any case , it's prohibited to use and post personal info ...:rolleyes:

except: if this info help to kick out "problematic person" :shifty: ...
And of course that the information will arrive to the staff only.....and not in publicly

Detale
02-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Anyone who thinks that it's an acceptable thing is simply an idiot.

droste
02-20-2009, 05:24 PM
....in your opinion :rolleyes:

danio
02-20-2009, 05:39 PM

... and anyone with another opinion is simply an idiot aswell. :happy:

droste
02-20-2009, 06:40 PM

... and anyone with another opinion is simply an idiot aswell. :happy::lol:

beco
02-20-2009, 10:08 PM

... and anyone with another opinion is simply an idiot aswell. :happy:

:lol: what's true is true :P

Detale
02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Idiots

danio
02-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Idiots

i agree with you and still i'm also an idiot? :wacko:

who isn't an idiot in your opinion Detale?

Detale
02-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Artemis

I didn't mean you man

beco
02-20-2009, 11:53 PM
so ....I'm the idiot ? :whistling
Detale, one-zero to you :P

droste
02-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Idiots
man u should behave urself ur getting real low now :frusty:

Radon0r
02-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I agree with the OP. It's never OK.

viru5
02-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Idiots
man u should behave urself ur getting real low now :frusty:

Truth

Brenya
02-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Only if it's justified.

Albo Da Kid
02-22-2009, 01:43 AM
Only if it's justified.
Yea.. Like if they killed one of your family members. Other than that I don't see a reasonable motive to post someones personal info on the net.

cinephilia
02-22-2009, 02:29 AM
Last time I let it go when you mentioned my username in public.
yeah, he did exactly the same with Cabalo... i don't see the point in provocating people like that.

Albo Da Kid
02-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Last time I let it go when you mentioned my username in public.
yeah, he did exactly the same with Cabalo... i don't see the point in provocating people like that.
He probably feels important for knowing such info and want's to make himself known like "Hey do you know who I am?? Im someone important."... Half the people here shit on that kind of info. Matter fact I can get you a beginner right now who can pull that kind of info right out. It's not hard.

And if that wasn't the case, than he's probably another retard who thought that we can be friends just because he knows so much about me. What are you doing tracking people down anyway?? Are you that bored?

Funkin'
02-22-2009, 04:02 AM

That's putting it nicely. If a person thinks this is acceptable, than this person is a fucking jackoff.

And no, this isn't my opinion. It's a fact.

02-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Never, Nah

droste
02-22-2009, 02:13 PM
He probably feels important for knowing such info and want's to make himself known like "Hey do you know who I am?? Im someone important."... Half the people here shit on that kind of info. Matter fact I can get you a beginner right now who can pull that kind of info right out. It's not hard.

And if that wasn't the case, than he's probably another retard who thought that we can be friends just because he knows so much about me. What are you doing tracking people down anyway?? Are you that bored?not really man :)

Albo Da Kid
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
not really man :)
Holy shit we're dealing with an idiot... I bet it would be fun to have you as a friend. There's a lot of ways someone like you can be used for amusement purposes. I bet someone is laughing right now seeing how their plan of making a complete tool out of you has worked.

Alright man you are cool man keep using those smileys you are the best man. Keep it up man:)

droste
02-22-2009, 03:37 PM
not really man :)
Holy shit we're dealing with an idiot... I bet it would be fun to have you as a friend. There's a lot of ways someone like you can be used for amusement purposes. I bet someone is laughing right now seeing how their plan of making a complete tool out of you has worked.

Alright man you are cool man keep using those smileys you are the best man. Keep it up man:)thx man:) i will add U friends but dont lie again abt ahg cuz i thought oterwise man :rolleyes: