PDA

View Full Version : No More Permission

Storm
09-15-2003, 05:16 PM
i kinda messed up......... i was messing with the permissions, and for some reason kazaa couldnt connect anymore and all sorts of problems......... so i decided 2 reset all permissions by deleting them and then taking ownership of the C drive again.......... but euuhhhhmmmm........ that dint work...... and now windows cant even access the C drive........ no1 has permission or anything........ i REALLY need 2 get back into my comp w/o reinstalling (i have some really important stuff on the c: drive..........

how can i do this?????

MetroStars
09-15-2003, 05:22 PM
if your using XP

have u tired system restore

Storm
09-15-2003, 05:28 PM
i am using XP (Pro), sys restore turned of (lol)

but even if it was still turned on, i couldnt use it cause i cant even get into windows...........

nostalgia
09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
try to search and download a bootable rescuedisk.
Maybe som1 on this forum knows one.

Kunal
09-15-2003, 06:37 PM
u dont need 2 get in2 windows 2 use system restore.

balamm
09-15-2003, 06:45 PM
If you can't get it back, partition magic it and move the existing OS up as far as you can, then install a new OS. From there you can pick what you want out of the old one and save it. Then delete and format the old OS partition. Just be carefull not to execute any old stuff as it may cause crosslinked files with your new OS.

A good arguement for Norton Ghost over system restore ;)

james_bond_rulez
09-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Storm@15 September 2003 - 17:16
i kinda messed up......... i was messing with the permissions, and for some reason kazaa couldnt connect anymore and all sorts of problems......... so i decided 2 reset all permissions by deleting them and then taking ownership of the C drive again.......... but euuhhhhmmmm........ that dint work...... and now windows cant even access the C drive........ no1 has permission or anything........ i REALLY need 2 get back into my comp w/o reinstalling (i have some really important stuff on the c: drive..........

how can i do this?????
dude that's why I stick to fat32...

i mess with those setting once and I screwed up like you. took me a while to get them back to normal, however I didn't reinstall the shit and whatnot but i forgot what I did to get it back to normal

llamaj Mim
09-15-2003, 10:29 PM
oh man, that happened to me before, it was the worst thing that could happen. my situration was that my account got overwrite by the new account i created for my parents, and i couldnt access my D drive at all since i only permitted myself to access D drive, i had to do a clean install. it pissed me off so much! sorry i cant offer you any help, but i know how you feel man. B)

james_bond_rulez
09-15-2003, 10:32 PM
ok dude, if you can, run partition magic and try to convert your ntsf drive to fat32. it should get rid of the permission stuff.

try it and let us know if it worked

Biggzach
09-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Just put the xp disc in and run repair and you will be able to get back in. If you try to convert to fat32 you risk destroying all your data because of the security involved in xp

james_bond_rulez
09-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Biggzach@15 September 2003 - 22:40
Just put the xp disc in and run repair and you will be able to get back in. If you try to convert to fat32 you risk destroying all your data because of the security involved in xp
you are not deleting the partition or formating the drive why would the data be destroyed??

sabbath
09-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+16 September 2003 - 00:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 16 September 2003 - 00:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggzach@15 September 2003 - 22:40
you are not deleting the partition or formating the drive why would the data be destroyed?? [/b][/quote]
A xp thing

Biggzach
09-16-2003, 02:39 AM
whenever you start messing with the partitions and file systems you risk something going wrong and then your screwed...you could go 50 times and not have a problem and then that next time you try something happens and all your music and software you spent the last 5 years aquiering is gone. That is y would should backup often

MuGen_PoWeR
09-16-2003, 03:31 AM
have you tried safemode i dont know but it might work

MUSLEMAN
09-16-2003, 03:31 AM
an os repair is not going to destroy the account or the password , have you tried calling microsoft??

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@16 September 2003 - 03:31
an os repair is not going to destroy the account or the password , have you tried calling microsoft??
calling microsoft ? are you fucking crazy? they charge you like 70 bucks just for tech support?&#33; :angry:

damn bill gates...

Biggzach
09-16-2003, 04:08 AM
It won&#39;t change the passsword or account but it will reset permissions and he should be able to access his account afterward. If I read everything right he changed the permissions not a password.

Somebody1234
09-16-2003, 04:41 AM
I know it&#39;s been said but... Did you try safemode?

Biggzach
09-16-2003, 06:13 PM
Safemode will only help if you know how you screwed up in the first place because then you can go back and undo it, but if you were just messing with stuff and it all of a sudden stop working then you don&#39;t know what to fix.