PDA

View Full Version : My ISP has a news server...so...?

coltraz
02-07-2009, 07:11 PM
What do I do with it? Does that mean I don't need to pay for a news server? I don't get it. The server is news.eastlink.ca but that's all the information I get from their site: http://www.eastlink.ca/support/hsi/serversettings.asp
I don't know what to do with this information even though I keep reading how you should check if your ISP has a news server. So now I know they do but I don't know what my next step is supposed to be. Don't I need more information than just the server name? I can't set up news.eastlink.ca as a server on alt.binz or sabnzb (which I use on my Mac) without any other info... can I? :ermm:

ericab
02-07-2009, 07:22 PM
why dont you just *TRY* ?

JustDOSE
02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
download a free news reader and use the server news.eastlink.ca

newsbin pro is my favorite:fst:

coltraz
02-07-2009, 07:24 PM
try what? everything with newsgroups is so cryptic to someone who doesn't understand what they're doing. Why don't you just put yourself in the shoes of someone who doesn't understand this stuff? Saying "just *try*" isn't helpful so it makes me wonder why you took the time to post it.

download a free news reader and use the server news.eastlink.ca

newsbin pro is my favorite:fst:

Thanks. But don't I need log in info and the port number to use? :blink: All the data I have is news.eastlink.ca... I need more than that.

I added the server to sabnzb with no luck.

Cabalo
02-07-2009, 08:37 PM
the port number is usually 119, the NNTP default one.

mesaman
02-07-2009, 09:20 PM
The server 'news.eastlink.ca' belongs to Telus and it has text newsgroups only, all binary newsgroups were removed in April 2008.

coltraz
02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
The server 'news.eastlink.ca' belongs to Telus and it has text newsgroups only, all binary newsgroups were removed in April 2008.

I telephoned the ISP and learned this just now! How'd you know?

I guess that's why my d/ls weren't working. ;)

ericab
02-08-2009, 02:42 AM
then maybe you should just go back to bittorrent, or emule.

:smartass:

coltraz
02-08-2009, 03:33 AM
then maybe you should just go back to bittorrent, or emule.

:smartass:

Well if there's one thing you're good for it's helping me figure out how to put users who are useless on my "ignore" list. :smartass:
:wave:

ericab
02-08-2009, 05:26 AM
:yay:

iLOVENZB
02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
:yay:
Lol just pay for it, fast pre times, ssl, uncapped dl speeds, no ratio to maintain.

What more could you want?