PDA

View Full Version : TOP SECRET! enter at your own risk, they may be watching

Col. Skillz
02-08-2009, 11:13 AM
SHHHHHH. ok now that you're here i have a question. i was on this forum called torrent-invites.com and the signup info mentioned you shouldn't use the same name you use for your trackers. because they might catch you. that's right.

do trackers ever comb forums like this to catch invite traders/givers?

let say ive got a friend whos got the same name here as they do on their trackers. should i tell him to get his named changed to something more discreet? like murphy?

NippleCake
02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
well usually if someone if actively involved in a tracker, and they are ona site such as torrent-invites and see a breach of the tracker's rules such as a trade, they will report it/try and catch the trader. Its not such staff that do this, more random members wanting to gain credit and help out the sites they are on.

integral
02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
No they don't. They simply don't have time to do that. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to get you to trade "secretly" with them so they can scam you and make it so you can't prove what happened. The truth is trackers don't really care if you trade, unless you PM them telling them you're a trader. Don't worry about it too much.

Col. Skillz
02-08-2009, 11:20 AM
oh good, my friend really didn't want to change his name to murphy

NippleCake
02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
No they don't. They simply don't have time to do that. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to get you to trade "secretly" with them so they can scam you and make it so you can't prove what happened. The truth is trackers don't really care if you trade, unless you PM them telling them you're a trader. Don't worry about it too much.

hmm, iTS, PTN, and (as much as I hate levels I have to use them here) the higher level trackers, 8-10 are known to be active against trading

Col. Skillz
02-08-2009, 11:26 AM
you know what it reminds me of.

riaa vs. torrent community

private trackers vs. invite forums

noone has ethics, sheesh

Time-Traveller
02-08-2009, 11:38 AM
What.cd staff are aware of that site you mentioned

NippleCake
02-08-2009, 11:55 AM

noone has ethics, sheesh

well look at it from the trackers point of view. trading means that staff cannot control who joins their site. if the site is invite only it means they want some sort of quality control on who is allowed into their tracker, trading means any scum can join

camicio
02-08-2009, 11:57 AM
STOP mentioning my secret codename right now.

Col. Skillz
02-08-2009, 12:06 PM

noone has ethics, sheesh

well look at it from the trackers point of view. trading means that staff cannot control who joins their site. if the site is invite only it means they want some sort of quality control on who is allowed into their tracker, trading means any scum can join

well yeah, of course. a comparison came to mind but im not even sure if it makes sense at all. ill throw it out there anyway

its kind of the same with the riaa, they don't want people taking their stuff for free, braking the "rules", and then try to punish people who do. the private sites do the same thing to people who break their rules, of course by banning them, not suing them.

i just noticed a chain of piracy, how it keeps getting more and more secret. perhaps the riaa will team up with these forums and just give out invites to a ton of shitty members lol

Unstable1
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM

With respect, this is poor advice imo.

Some sites actively reward members for catching people trading or selling invites and I know for a fact that torrent-invites is monitored by quite a number of sites and their staff and members. For instance, there's a long thread on HDBits at the moment where people have been caught breaking rules by posting on torrent-invites. The member who reports the rule-breaking member gets a reward (ratio boost) and the member reported gets banned.

HDBits arent alone in this practice. FTN do it also, and I'm sure many other sites do too.

pro267
02-08-2009, 12:19 PM
llmercll, you're obviously a noob at these sorts of sites, otherwise your wouldn't have asked that question. Being a noob and having no experience trading is a good thing! It means you're at a stage you can decide whether you want to go the trading way, or refrain from it. The former might be possibly a bit faster in the short run, but in the long run you're going to get caught, multiple times, and denied entrance to many sites which are more privacy conscious and frown upon this sort of activity. The latter way means it might take you a bit longer to make friends, let people know you, however in the long run you'll be welcome at any tracker you choose.

It's the blue or red pill thing. Either way, the decision you make will influence your future in the torrent community.

Nemrod
02-08-2009, 02:05 PM
llmercll, you're obviously a noob at these sorts of sites, otherwise your wouldn't have asked that question. Being a noob and having no experience trading is a good thing! It means you're at a stage you can decide whether you want to go the trading way, or refrain for it. The former might be possibly a bit faster in the short run, but in the long run you're going to get caught, multiple times, and denied entrance to many sites which are more privacy conscious and frown upon this sort of activity. The latter way means it might take you a bit longer to make friends, let people know you, however in the long run you'll be welcome at any tracker you choose.

It's the blue or red pill thing. Either way, the decision you make will influence your future in the torrent community.

Listen to this guy, impossible a better advice.

Col. Skillz
02-08-2009, 02:33 PM
yeah, i haven't traded anything and from what everyone is telling me i shouldn't.

i don't know why though, why does everyone frown down on it? btw, were talking about trading INVITES right? not accounts?

i mean, even if many PT rules, it says you cannot publicly give away accounts, and that happens all the time. they also say you cant trade. if that's the case, why is trading looked down upon while giving away isn't?

Polarbear
02-08-2009, 02:57 PM
yeah, i haven't traded anything and from what everyone is telling me i shouldn't.

i don't know why though, why does everyone frown down on it? btw, were talking about trading INVITES right? not accounts?

i mean, even if many PT rules, it says you cannot publicly give away accounts, and that happens all the time. they also say you cant trade. if that's the case, why is trading looked down upon while giving away isn't?

let's put it very simple: respect site rules!

take this advice or leave it.

just don't come crying here in three month: "i was a n00b and nobody told me that trading was wrong. i promise i'll never do it again"

you won't get a second chance.

Col. Skillz
02-08-2009, 03:23 PM

let's put it very simple: respect site rules!

take this advice or leave it.

just don't come crying here in three month: "i was a n00b and nobody told me that trading was wrong. i promise i'll never do it again"

you won't get a second chance.

what do you mean trading, exactly? is accepting a public giveaway considered trading? what about being the one giving it away? to me that is a giveaway, not a trade.

to me trading is when you give one invite for another, am i wrong here? please, correct me if so because im starting to think trading isn't what i thought it was.

pro267
02-08-2009, 03:26 PM

That's a very good point you're raising there llmercll. The short version answer to your question is that most private sites frown upon public giveaways equally to the way they frown upon trading.

The longer version to that answer is a bit more complex. First, you need to understand that trading (whether invites OR accounts), allows people who are not trusted to gain entrance to a site, which tries to keep its privacy. For instance, imagine a private tracker that is trying to keep itself under the radar; traded accounts/invites are simple ways by which an anti-piracy organization may gain entrance to the site. Trackers have to continuously track members' accounts to make sure that that doesn't happen, and accounts changing hands are making that job a lot harder. Giveaways of accounts and invites, while they may seem altruistic and innocent at first, may have a similar end result in that respect.

Now to the "tricky" part: a lot of people do not understand, or do not want to understand the reasoning behind the fact that many trackers are opposed to giveaways, some even think it's because trackers want to go higher in that stupid "rarity" ranking here. They don't seem to realize that most trackers would love to be as low on that list as possible. Some of these people even start invite forums, similar to the one you've encountered, which are seemingly opposed to trading yet encourage their members to share invites/accounts amongst themselves. This encouragement comes from these people, not from BT trackers. These people think they're alright and are helping the BT community, while in fact they simply don't understand that they are, in fact, as hurtful and dangerous, security-wise, to the community as traders are.

That's my 2 cents. I'm not going to go on as I have no intention of starting another trader vs. non-trader flaming war. Hopefully, that clarifies a bit about the facts behind the scenes for you, so you can now make a conscious decision as to your future in the community.

Col. Skillz
02-08-2009, 03:44 PM

That's a very good point you're raising there llmercll. The short version answer to your question is that most private sites frown upon public giveaways equally to the way they frown upon trading.

The longer version to that answer is a bit more complex. First, you need to understand that trading (whether invites OR accounts), allows people who are not trusted to gain entrance to a site, which tries to keep its privacy. For instance, imagine a private tracker that is trying to keep itself under the radar; traded accounts/invites are simple ways by which an anti-piracy organization may gain entrance to the site. Trackers have to continuously track members' accounts to make sure that that doesn't happen, and accounts changing hands are making that job a lot harder. Giveaways of accounts and invites, while they may seem altruistic and innocent at first, may have a similar end result in that respect.

Now to the "tricky" part: a lot of people do not understand, or do not want to understand the reasoning behind the fact that many trackers are opposed to giveaways, some even think it's because trackers want to go higher in that stupid "rarity" ranking here. They don't seem to realize that most trackers would love to be as low on that list as possible. Some of these people even start invite forums, similar to the one you've encountered, which are seemingly opposed to trading yet encourage their members to share invites/accounts amongst themselves. This encouragement comes from these people, not from BT trackers. These people think they're alright and are helping the BT community, while in fact they simply don't understand that they are, in fact, as hurtful and dangerous, security-wise, to the community as traders are.

That's my 2 cents. I'm not going to go on as I have no intention of starting another trader vs. non-trader flaming war. Hopefully, that clarifies a bit about the facts behind the scenes for you, so you can now make a conscious decision as to your future in the community.

thanks a lot for that post, it cleared up a lot. i really was confused why there was so much hate on traders and not as much on givaways. like you said it open it the same security gaps.

With that said i will certainly be careful from now on, and limit my giveaway business. a lot more than i was a few days ago, i wasn't even crossing out my name on ratioproofs ,OUCH.:sick:

another thing i noticed. a lot of people probably do giveaways to boost their rep, so when a giveaway comes along they want they have a better shot at getting it. sounds like trading to me ;)

NippleCake
02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
in some ways, giveaways are worse than trades. many invite giveaways have such low requirements anyone could sign up and gain an invite to a private site. tbh i think both are unsafe for trackers.

hangemhigh
02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean their not watching...:shutup:

fatcat69
02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
In the end it all comes back to the publicity.

No tracker wants their name out in the open.

So if you want to talk about ethics...tell that to anyone who has brought unwanted publicity to a tracker (directly or indirectly).

I think thats prolly every single person in this forum :lol:

no_bother
02-08-2009, 08:25 PM
rofl.
If you want to see for yourself, look through both forums, trading and non-trading. Youll see that people look down on traders, but not really on teh giveaways section. Youll also see that alot of staff from trackers are members here and are active. Some places dont like giveaways either, but tbh, if your going to regard every rule of every tracker, then you should be banned for being a member here already. You just gotta draw the line somewhere. Be an active member here, start low, read up on trackers, see what you need out of torrents, Music movies apps, games, etc... see which you need, and home in on there, Look at the tracker levels and start low, youll get spotted on the forums there if you're active, and slowly get invited up to higher level trackers if you request it in the right place at the right time.

IdolEyes787
02-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Or you could just forget about levels and get on a a few trackers and be a good member because they essentially serve your needs and you see it as the right thing to do and not as stepping stone along some road that essentially leads nowhere.

Besides the time you save in not pursuing you can actually use to have a life or something foolish like that.

stitched
02-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Or you could just forget about levels and get on a a few trackers and be a good member because they essentially serve your needs and you see it as the right thing to do and not as stepping stone along some road that essentially leads nowhere.

Besides the time you save in not pursuing you can actually use to have a life or something foolish like that.
this is the best advice , if u r looking for one

sez
02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Yes they very very actively do comb here and other similar forums and am not passing judgement here,but how many people do u see who have been here for quite sometime now but when you look at their post count its almost at zero? i mean its FST if u cant share at least talk and if all they do is just login and look...then there is room to question what they are really upto,so yes IMO without implying anything i believe we have moles..

the moles try to march usernames on the tracker with that of their prey so for example if juscallmesez went against site rules and made a public giveaway they do a 'wild' username search on their tracker and if they dont find such a username on their site(this is the fun part)they hit their member email database and they do an even wilder search

so if for example they did not find any username that remotely resembles juscallmesez on their tracker but they find a [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected],guaranteed even if the email is associated with a katie or whatever they will most certainly get banned...so thats their alleged big secret...just imagine how dumbfound i was in that irc being shown links to threads i made under a nick that isnt even remotely close to my tracker nickname(i was heavily cursing FST at the time lol).i wanted to put up a fete but my brain just went numb.had i not been told by a staff friend how i got made out I would still be of the notion that FST handed out my IP information...so now you know especially with TL and SCC its not FST who cooperated it was your email...just be warned big brother is always watching..and its the little things that screw us over...learnt the hard way lol..

silvertec
02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Come on guys
Abide by their rules
No Account trading or Selling Accounts
Invite give away only
No mentioning full names of sites
If everyone stuck to that it would be a very peaceful place here
You wouldn't see unnecessary drama that has on

integral
02-09-2009, 12:18 AM

best post in the thread, and I didn't even read the first two pages. if you do what idol said, you'll be happier than if you started having those "dreams" about trackers. truth.

PlayeR
02-09-2009, 02:25 AM
someone who just thinks he join trackers just as stepping stones to get higher level is silly...IMO at least.

Cabalo
02-09-2009, 02:40 AM
Come on guys
Abide by their rules
No Account trading or Selling Accounts
Invite give away only
No mentioning full names of sites
If everyone stuck to that it would be a very peaceful place here
You wouldn't see unnecessary drama that has on
why are you telling people to abide by their rules, and yet one of your advices breaks many site's rules?

dakat
02-09-2009, 04:32 AM

I think you better think again there is many trackers who do care if you trade. And will have you globally banned for doing so