PDA

View Full Version : The history and future of BT

The_Martinator
02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I know we have some veteran torrenters here so I'd like to hear what they think the Bt world is like in comparison to what it's used to be and where it's heading.

I've talked to some staffers at old sites and they think that the best year for torrenting was 2006. Very little seedboxes and a mature user base. Now everyone has a seedbox so you're paying for stuff you ought to be getting for free. also BT has become very popular so now we have 13 year olds joining,...

Lovestoned
02-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, everything changes once stuffs ever get publicised about and there would eventually be *insert something here* kiddies.

When there were very little seedboxes, people who don't have one will feel rather dissapointed that the seedbox by the other user is actually making their ratio going downwards and thus they would need to work harder on it so the number of seedboxes will go even higher and higher.

With the help of OVH and resellers, anyone with a small set of money can eventually be a seedboxer too with a lil' bit of compromise if you're a student.

It's still very easy to attain a acceptable sharing ratio on sites with massive amount of peers, such like Torrentleech or IPT so seedboxing is still never a need for on them.

But on sites like ScT or SCC competition is really tough and people will start to lash out their alter egos and get even better boxes just to be the winner.

Well from what you've said I also think that it's a great thing that 13 y/o's are taking up piracy from the view of a piracy user only though.

More peers, much easier to seed.

As the years go by OVH will start to offer even cheaper boxes and much more people will be getting 1gbit just not to be the majority but the centre of attention indeed.

slammers
02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
future of BT?

get a seedbox or have a decent home connection. Especially as quality increases for both music and movies and games increasing in GB, you need a higher upload.

children joining BT? I do not care to be honest. As long as I can seed and leech it is all oke. But for the community adolescents is cooler imo.

Real future? BT will get bigger and bigger if no other methods pop up. If the userbases on the existing sites stay the same more sites will pop up which means the topsites right now might not be the topsites anymore in the future. Communities will be not that 'close' though, on bigger sites.

E3DaMeX
02-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Actually on SCC seedboxes aren't even really needed. I have a pretty shitty upload speed but I have almost uploaded almost a hundred GBs in a week or two. =P But seedboxes definitely look like they're going to be used much more. And it's true that more younger people are getting into BT every day....I would know because I'm one of them. XD

Lovestoned
02-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Actually on SCC seedboxes aren't even really needed. I have a pretty shitty upload speed but I have almost uploaded almost a hundred GBs in a week or two. =P But seedboxes definitely look like they're going to be used much more. And it's true that more younger people are getting into BT every day....I would know because I'm one of them. XD

Sounds like you're a ratio cheater? :dry:

Sonnentier
02-08-2009, 06:52 PM
BT used to be open, if you knew about it, you were part of it.

Today it's all about exclusivity, along with pseudo-secretive behavior.

stoi
02-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Maybe its because i am disilusioned atm, all the fighting and bickering is pissing me off, we are turning into the scene ffs.

But i think it will all implode in on itself if we cant sort out our differences, i am not saying every tracker hates every other tracker, but i am just getting a bit sick of all the crap and shit throwing that is going on atm.

it is very easy to start spreading a rumour, that is full of shit, its a lot harder to wash it off and get rid of the smell.

Lovestoned
02-08-2009, 06:59 PM
BT used to be open, if you knew about it, you were part of it.

Today it's all about exclusivity, along with pseudo-secretive behavior.

ThePirateBay much?

BitTorrent itself isn't really great with the human nature itself when it comes to piracy since most people are rather narcissistic or maybe would try not to seed back to lower the chances of getting a letter.

What you're talking about are all the trackers in the scene race and I can list you a few trackers which does not have that mindset.

E3DaMeX
02-08-2009, 07:13 PM

Sounds like you're a ratio cheater? :dry:WTF, how does that sound like I'm a ratio cheater? I seed the F-L packs and music. :dry:

alcoholik
02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
i think that it's to many who have seed boxes now :( 2006 WAS the best year for filesharing :)

droste
02-08-2009, 07:28 PM
2006 was indeed the best year for torrenting. I started to torrent myself that year, and the whole torrent thingie is constantly going downhill now in my opinion.

primevil
02-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Any tracker will need something to balance the seedboxes and home users such as bcg's sp system or freeleech stuff. The private torrent population is still very small when compared with the pirate bay, so new users are always needed.

Sonnentier
02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
would try not to seed back to lower the chances of getting a letter
That's also a new problem, all those stupid letters. Forces the people into private structures.

slammers
02-08-2009, 11:07 PM
because people are paying for seedboxes the whole notion of freesharing is gone. you pay2leech.

vic
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I agree that because most of the people nowadays own a seeding box ruins the whole torrenting scene. The whole idea of not paying for your warez has gone to waste. The non ratio sites that were opened lately and sites that were transformed to non-ratio are the mutation of the old one and should bring back the fun to torrenting. I myself owned a seed box in the past but i didn't use it to become a seed whore but to fix my ratio and if i could also to be an uploader.

Seed whores is basically what i'm against and hate to see, if i were to be a mod at some torrent tracker i wouldn't allow that to happen. I heard of some sites that do not allow overseeding and even warn and disable users that do so because it doesn't allow other users to get to a 1:1 ratio.

Unstable1
02-08-2009, 11:21 PM
I think the Bit Torrent scene is much improved by the increase in seedboxes. I remember the days when it may take a day or two (or even longer) to download a 700MB movie. Now I expect it to download in seconds.

Give me near-instantaneous gratification over patience any day! :P

edit: The future of torrenting is High Definition video. It will become normal for people to be downloading 4,8,12GB or even a full BluRay at 45GB for a single movie. x264/.mkv will take over. It's already begun.

slammers
02-08-2009, 11:24 PM
some torrentsites indeed have like 1:1 or max 1:2, depending on the amount of seeders. Of course if there is a low amount of seeders and high amount of leechers this rule doesn't go.

They should make something like this in my opinion, on every tracker.....

Aliyans
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
its all about building huge buffer, getting invites...showing ur huge buffer proofs, 1gb speed test etc... the basic of torrenting, sharing is out of scene.. only few people download for its actual purpose[to watch or listen or whatever its use]..

Psyrel
02-09-2009, 12:23 AM
because people are paying for seedboxes the whole notion of freesharing is gone. you pay2leech.

Agreed.

stoi
02-09-2009, 12:26 AM
edit: The future of torrenting is High Definition video. It will become normal for people to be downloading 4,8,12GB or even a full BluRay at 45GB for a single movie. x264/.mkv will take over. It's already begun.

Surely that is the future of film not the future of torrenting.

personally i would rather download shit that size from newsgroups and i run a bloody tracker lol

Skiz
02-09-2009, 12:33 AM

Agreed.

Assuming they're still sharing what they download, what's the problem?

silvertec
02-09-2009, 12:56 AM

Agreed.

unless you want to be an uploader why would you buy one
home connection is easy to maintain 1:1 even if your max upload is 25kb/s

Unstable1
02-09-2009, 02:56 AM
edit: The future of torrenting is High Definition video. It will become normal for people to be downloading 4,8,12GB or even a full BluRay at 45GB for a single movie. x264/.mkv will take over. It's already begun.Surely that is the future of film not the future of torrenting.

personally i would rather download shit that size from newsgroups and i run a bloody tracker lol

lol

Fair points. But I think the vast majority of people download video of some kind (tv, movies, documentaries etc) and then they also download other stuff which they-re interested in like music, games etc. So a change in what video we're downloading affects everyone or nearly everyone who torrents, which is why I see that as a (significant) part of the future of torrenting.

I hear what you're saying about newsgroups, but I dont personally use them. I am already downloading movies of the aforementioned sizes, using mostly a seedbox and sometimes my home connection. I can download an 8GB movie to my home connection in less than a couple of hours, and that's with current technology (25MB/2.5MB line speed). All thanks to seedboxes and the ever-increasing internet speeds.

Anyway, I'm sure you see what I'm saying, though I do see where you're coming from too.

stoi
02-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Well without seedboxes torrents would be really slow, even 2 gig games could take days, just with the silly asymmetric speeds our ISPs give us.

Do i like seedboxes. answer is of course if they are used to help the community out.

If all you use a seedbox for, is to get to a higher ratio, to get a promotion, to get the perks, or even worse to get the buffer, so you can hit and run, or trade a buffered account to another tracker, then i hate them.

if the intentions are true, great i love them, if they are for own personal gain, go and use them somewhere else.

btw i usually just queue up 300 gig of HD movies on newsgroups, in a day or 2 they are done, unrar, watch them, no need to seed back, mind you i am not on 1 tracker that has any movies anyway, so even if i wanted to use torrents, i cant lol

Unstable1
02-09-2009, 03:42 AM
Newsgroups do sound great. I really should get my act together and learn how to use them.

Cabalo
02-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Newsgroups do sound great. I really should get my act together and learn how to use them.
it's easy. all you need is a credit card ;)
and a newsgroups client that supports .nzb and quickpar.

sear
02-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Agreed.

unless you want to be an uploader why would you buy one
home connection is easy to maintain 1:1 even if your max upload is 25kb/s

Indeed. I've never had a seedbox and have fine ratios at all the sites I'm on. More than fine in fact I could download hundreds of GB without seeding back and not have to worry...though I would anyway which would make my ratio even higher...lol. As long as you're not silly when you first join up then there's no problem. It can make getting into higher user classes a bit of work without a seedbox...but isn't that the point ;)

Disme
02-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Sometimes I think about the days I started with BT on some Dutch BT-trackers and saw speeds up to 500 KB/s ... I remember the exitement when I noticed those awesome speeds. Things have changed a lot over time and on some trackers I always max out my connection at about 3 MB/s.

Seedboxes are responsable for those speeds, and at the same time responsable for the fact I keep my stuff shared for a very long time.

I've never experienced ratio-problems anywhere with this strategy.

Lovestoned
02-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Well, let's just wait for prices of HDDs to drop even more so seedboxing with a much bigger space will actually allow people to seed torrents for a longer period of time.

RedRansom
02-09-2009, 09:09 AM
fillesharing will never die but when BT die we will find a better solution for pirating...
for now torrent is most populer and stable

The_Martinator
02-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I see my thread has taken off nicely.

Anyway all you guys are saying is true. Ultimately seedboxers let everyone download stuff faster. But IMO the sence of sharing is gone withpeople wanting to have uber leet ratios. I'm seeding a popular torrent, but 90% of the leechers are downloading it not to use the files, but just so they can improve their ratio (the percentage might be a bit exaggerated, though).

Here's another thing to consider: Nowadayseveryone can make a tracker, so we have new trackers coming and going all the time. I wish I was around before where there was (almost) a fixed number of trackers. Is that fact hurting the BT world in your opinion?

slammers
02-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Agreed.

Assuming they're still sharing what they download, what's the problem?

the problem is that they 'overseed'. People with home connections can't seed well if there are like 5 seedboxes or more on a torrent. They upload about 50GB for a single DVDr movie. They should do something about this overseeding you know.

And I read here somewhere else that people download stuff they don't even look at or need but just to maintain ratio. I used to do that in the beginning sometimes but now, with so many seedboxes I am forced to download freeleech torrents etc. which I remove when they are not uploading anymore, and this SUCKS!

about newsgroups... I use it. And it's not the case that you always need to pay. I got some free newsservers which get my full line (1mb/s) and they go faster but I do not know how fast. And if you want to pay, it costs approx 10 - 20 dollars per month. Which is cool seeing torrenting is becoming more and more pay2leech anyways, and you don't need to upload with newsgroups (not that that is a big advantage but at least its a disturbing factor less for people with a slow uploadspeed).

if you have any questions regarding newsgroups, pm me. I am willing to help you out. But don't come and pm me about 'can you give me some free newsservers?'

stoi
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok i will try not to get to technical with this.

But if I upload a torrent that is 5 gig, with a seedbox, and 100 leechers jump on it, i can connect to 50 of them (depending on how i have my client set up.) but i am also uploading at 12MBs most home users cant download that fast (100mbit) so most home users are nearly maxing their connection, but i am uploading that fast to each of them, each of them is taking the same bits off me, so that is why at the end, when i eventually see a leech turn to a seed, i have a very silly upload on the thing.

if we stopped members seeding to a 2 ratio, then the above uploader could only get .2 of the torrent out before he would have to stop seeding.

If seedboxes just disapeared tomorrow, there would be hell on, "Hurry the fuck up" "this is going at 20KBs zzzzzzzzzzzzzz" comments.

But you would be able to get a better ratio, but it doesnt matter how fast you can upload or how many leechers there are, if you get a 2 ratio someone else can only get a 0.5 ratio doesnt matter how long they seed for, 100% of the members on that torrent will never, ever get a 1 ratio, its impossible.

The_Martinator
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Nicely put, stoi. That's why BCG is great, your SP system is unbeatable. I wonder why no other sites haven't tried to copy it yet. Maybe it's hard to code?

Cabalo
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
maybe it's not profitable to those other sites... :whistling