PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Pc/machine Is Some Powerful Shit

james_bond_rulez
09-15-2003, 10:10 PM
wow dude i just install windows 2k advanced server, win2k3 enterprise, red hat linux 9, and freebsd on one machine. It's so cool i can run whatever i wanted...in one operating system.

cool shit man and i have balamm to thank for introducing this wonderful shit :D

j4y3m
09-15-2003, 10:54 PM
what does it do will it wipe windows or do you run it from inside windows like an emu......

james_bond_rulez
09-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by stupidguy@15 September 2003 - 22:54
what does it do will it wipe windows or do you run it from inside windows like an emu......
yeh u run it like a window

cool eh?

j4y3m
09-15-2003, 10:58 PM
can you pm me a link.....would it run that mult network thing in fastrack for the mac? do i need the discs for the os's got any screens?

james_bond_rulez
09-15-2003, 11:16 PM
if you need the one for the mac then virtual pc is the one i think

there ya go

:D

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 03:08 AM
mmm yo dude balamm

I am having problems with my virtual network as I am installing win2k3 as guest os based on my win2k pro host os.

I can't get the internet on my guest os to work and i've fiddled with the settings but with no luck.

shed some light on this?

thx

P.S. the vmware is using automatic bridging to my physical network card but I dont see it working on the guest os so what's the problem?

balamm
09-16-2003, 03:23 AM
I had some problems with bridged. I ended up with NAT through the host on most systems. It's a bit different from VPC where you use a virtual ethernet adaptor. I actually prefer the VPC method for server OS's .

Try the nat but for server use you may have to treat it like a router to serve files and pages. I'm not sure what the end IP for a local site would be, host or ???

What you could do is go with DynDns.org and register all your IP's to domains. Redirect to each virtual network address that way.

Make damn sure you install a firewall and AV in the host! your guest won't cut it if the network is shared. for a server, norton corporate and one of the server firewalls. trend micro server, blackice server, combined with sygate and ISA firewall, ISS Lockdown with URL scan from MS, etc. Try emule for the server FW's

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 03:29 AM
oh man i could kiss you right now but i can't :D

thx man

balamm
09-16-2003, 03:32 AM
Have you collected the really cool stuff like beowolf, Byzantine, 2disk, win 1.1, etc? Get goin! those are what really make it fun.

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 03:39 AM
oh man what are those?!! :D

man i am a noob at these things but i'll try to get the basics up and running first.

now on the host i got trend micro 2003, zone alarm v4, and i got a Dlink router so that's pretty much what i've got now. I haven't installed anything on the win2k3 server yet since I can't get shpt out of the internet. but yeah i'll look into these stuff once i got the internet going.

Evil Gemini
09-16-2003, 03:40 AM
Yeah that program is very reliable. Its good for trial and error and to figure something out before using on you main OS. I downloaded it but got wiped by accident :(

Its good for making tutorials such as fdisk and instaling OS's

To bad its got no 3D graphics support and takes a while to install an OS.

balamm
09-16-2003, 03:45 AM
No 3D? Did you install the extras into the guest after it was setup?
VMware is a lot faster than VPC. You just need a lot more ram. I think by default, VMware gives a third to the guest or less if it's a lightweght OS. If you only have 300 or so, that will slow it down. 256 or less, forget it.

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 03:45 AM
hey yeah balamm dude:

if I wanted to use remote desktop on my win2k3 from a remote terminal. how is it gonna work? I meant the os using the virtual network and all.

have you tried?

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 04:30 AM
ok i got the bridging thingy to work

the thing is i forgot to add the "virtual mac address" in my router, but now my router is fooled into thinking there is another real network card on the network.

my internet is back!!!!!! :D

i am happy

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 04:34 AM
ok now there is another problem, i can't get my window to run at full screen...

whenever I press full screen, the virtual computer shuts down for no good apparent reason.

balamm any thoughts?

balamm
09-16-2003, 04:35 AM
I've never used remote desktop. In fact I delete all reg keys and everything else associated with it on install of any OS.
If you really need something like that, netmeeting is probably a more secure choice.

I was also just thinking, with win2k advanced server, you should be able to set up routing and network sharing, DNS, all that in the host to control guest networking. Your very own domain/forest.

4play
09-16-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by balamn
Have you collected the really cool stuff like beowolf, Byzantine, 2disk, win 1.1, etc? Get goin! those are what really make it fun.

isnt beowolf a bit of a waste of time as you need to run specially made software to make it work as a cluster properly.

still i would like to test this app out even if its just to try out freebsd.

balamm
09-16-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@15 September 2003 - 21:34
ok now there is another problem, i can't get my window to run at full screen...

whenever I press full screen, the virtual computer shuts down for no good apparent reason.

balamm any thoughts?
Got the extras installed? VGA drivers are included in that package for the full screen resolution. And check how much ram you have free.

balamm
09-16-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by 4play+15 September 2003 - 21:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4play @ 15 September 2003 - 21:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-balamn
Have you collected the really cool stuff like beowolf, Byzantine, 2disk, win 1.1, etc? Get goin&#33; those are what really make it fun.

isnt beowolf a bit of a waste of time as you need to run specially made software to make it work as a cluster properly.

still i would like to test this app out even if its just to try out freebsd. [/b][/quote]
You&#39;d know more about that than I would lol. I haven&#39;t gotten nearly that far with any linux install yet. If I get an X display and working google, I&#39;m happy.

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 04:47 AM
yeah i did install the vmware tools and got the video drivers (weird thing is i can&#39;t install my own video card drivers).

however I can only run it at 800X600 otherwise I have to scroll around which can be a pain in the arse.

After my win2k3 enterprise with my win2k pro i got about 25 MB of RAM left...

is that a good thing?

I have 512 MB of RAM..

balamm
09-16-2003, 05:12 AM
No, if you only have 25 left in the host, reduce it in the guest. A lot&#33;

You can&#39;t install your video drivers in the guest cause it uses something like an 8 meg ati rage pro. It&#39;s an emulated video card, not your video card.

You must have set something wrong in the hotkeys or options. Usually XP will resize itself on the first boot and all you do is go to view/ full screen. after that, if it&#39;s setup right, use the blue "[X]" at the top of VMware to get full screen.

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 05:51 AM
omg this is terrible...

I&#39;ve reduced my video to like 16 bit colors and 800X600, this is the min setting reachable

and also i&#39;ve reduced the max reserverd mem to 252 MB and 236 MB to my win2k3 system

I dont know what else to do except every time i press full screen the window gets shut off and my mouse wouldn&#39;t move...

balamm
09-16-2003, 05:57 AM
Byzantine OS
http://byzgl.sourceforge.net/

2disk (2 floppy OS install)
http://www.thepub.nildram.co.uk/mirrors/2d...n/2dskx-1.0.tgz (http://www.thepub.nildram.co.uk/mirrors/2diskxwin/2dskx-1.0.tgz) (file)
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/mungkie10/download.htm (homepage)

Minimalist linux
http://www.linux.org/apps/AppId_6313.html

I&#39;ll add a link here for windows 1.0 in a few minutes but this should get you started.

balamm
09-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@15 September 2003 - 22:51
omg this is terrible...

I&#39;ve reduced my video to like 16 bit colors and 800X600, this is the min setting reachable

and also i&#39;ve reduced the max reserverd mem to 252 MB and 236 MB to my win2k3 system

I dont know what else to do except every time i press full screen the window gets shut off and my mouse wouldn&#39;t move...
lol, ok well, reinstall that one and learn from it. server 2k3 does NOT like any additional drivers so if you even tried, it&#39;ll be screwed.

james_bond_rulez
09-16-2003, 06:11 AM
mmm well i think i found a way around it...

I used the quick switch mode and got my res back to 1024X768, still have to scroll a bit but it beats looking at a little window at 800X600...

oh well, I am running the win2k3 for the sole purpose so that I could run the stupid remote desktop thing.

time wasted but learned something...

by the way do you know what ports do I need to forward in my router to make remote desktop work??? :D :D :D

damn thing doesn&#39;t work.. :D

nikita69
10-04-2003, 07:14 AM
dang balamm. this is good, i&#39;m gonna try them and possibly forget about VPC. also, i&#39;m gonna research it more for my Mac G. If anyone has any thoughts about the Mac option, feel free to input. :)