PDA

View Full Version : Computer Reseting

Spicker
09-16-2003, 12:56 AM
computer keeps reseting! when i have 2 or more programs running and i went to the ie and typed in a website and hit enter! and it restarted!and once it just restarted becuz i clicked on sumthin.It is very annoying!!

i think the problem is my power fan i think its not providing enough power. DO u need a special power fan for a pentium 4 or any power fan will do?

ANyways i have a P4 1.9 256sdram pc133

EDIT: JUST FOUND OUT IT IS ONE OF THE DRIVERS beacuse when i go in safe mode it duznt ever reset but in normal it duz. BUt how am i suppose to noe which driver it is :( i have no idea :(

clocker
09-16-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@15 September 2003 - 17:56

i think the problem is my power fan i think its not providing enough power. DO u need a special power fan for a pentium 4 or any power fan will do?

You have a fan powered computer?

How very green of you!

Spicker
09-16-2003, 01:05 AM
nO!!!the fan in the back where u plug in ur computer!!!that box. i have a old one!

clocker
09-16-2003, 01:12 AM
If you have a old computer then it is possible that it may be overheating due a bad fan or a big accumulation of dust.

Houseclean, maybe.

bigdawgfoxx
09-16-2003, 02:12 AM
hmm had this SAME problem...called dell and got it fixed..but forgot what i did haha...somehow a box got checked that tells it to restart whenever a fatal error occurs....fatal errors occur ALL the time....thats what happend on mine..if i remember ill post it

bigdawgfoxx
09-16-2003, 02:13 AM
ALSO... what kind of mobo do you have that supports P4s AND PC133 ram....?? never seen one..if neone sees one leme know

zapjb
09-16-2003, 02:22 AM
Sounds like you threw a P4 in an old case with a sub-par PS.

Somebody1234
09-16-2003, 04:33 AM
Turn off the 'Automatically restart' feature.

Start>Control pannel>Switch to classic view>System>Advanced tab>Startup and Recovery>settings>remove the checkmark from [ ] Automatically restart and click ok.

Now your computer will not restart when you have an error. You will then see the error message and the you can diagnose what's the cause of the error.

Wolfmight
09-16-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@15 September 2003 - 22:33

Start>Control pannel>Switch to classic view>System>Advanced tab>Startup and Recovery>settings>remove the checkmark from [ ] Automatically restart and click ok.

Now your computer will not restart when you have an error. You will then see the error message and the you can diagnose what's the cause of the error.
It still does the restart after that.
My friend josh had a burned Geforce FX 5400 128mb that started restarting everytime he played 3d games.
Overclocking isnt safe * (heh overclocker newb probably)

_John_Lennon_
09-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@15 September 2003 - 23:33

Yeah, if his computer is still restarting after doing this, then it is a power problem, not an Error problem.

Spicker
09-16-2003, 10:22 PM
i think it is a power problem cuz i unplugged my extra case fan and connected the main line directly in an outlet and not an extension and now its working fine...so far

V

Spicker
09-16-2003, 10:44 PM
right after i posted my last reply it restarted :angry: but i still think its a power problem....but any other suggestions?

Wolfmight
09-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@16 September 2003 - 16:44
right after i posted my last reply it restarted :angry: but i still think its a power problem....but any other suggestions?
get a compressed air can and clean it out.. Maybe dust is shortin it out

liquidacid
09-16-2003, 11:46 PM
Also:-

Did you try unplugging any non-essential hardware from your PSU and motherboard, to check once and for all if it is a power supply issue.

Have you recently updated any drivers, or directx?

Have you recently upgraded your system or installed a new OS?

Is your bios (http://www.wimsbios.com/) up to date?

Check for viri (http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp) or trojans (http://www.anti-trojan.net/en/onlinecheck.aspx)? Do online scans.

Defrag. your hard drive and check disk for errors?

Spicker
09-17-2003, 12:18 AM
ok i seriously think its the power because i just chekd the power box and it said 300w i think its suppose to be more! is it??and i have a p4 1.9ghz. i got tht power box when my old one broke and started making noise!so my firned gave me this one.

Spicker
09-17-2003, 12:21 AM
and this didnt used to happen tht much it only used to happen once in a while but now i traded my 30gig harddrive and bought a 80 gig and updated my video card and i think it uses more power so now it resets WAAAAAY more!

liquidacid
09-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Usually 300w would be enough. I think it's more likely to be a driver problem.

Spicker
09-17-2003, 02:47 AM
but i formatted like 3 times and it still having tht problem!

Wolfmight
09-17-2003, 03:13 AM
ram might be cracked.. did u drop it?

Spicker
09-17-2003, 08:43 PM
DELETED!

Spicker
09-21-2003, 03:14 AM
it is one of the drivers but i dunt noe which one:( :(

Spicker
09-21-2003, 12:42 PM
anyone??

lynx
09-21-2003, 12:59 PM
If the problem was one of the drivers, you would get the 'blue screen of death' and you would probably be asking what all the numbers mean. Since you aren't getting this, it is more likely to be a hardware problem.

Newer video cards do use a LOT more power than older ones, if you've still got the old one try swapping it back to see if the situation improves. But I notice you said that you had replaced the PS when your old one broke/got noisy. Is this when the problems began? If so, I would suggest that your problems are with the PS - why did your friend have a 'spare' one lying around in the first place?

Spicker
09-21-2003, 01:45 PM
my friend had a spare lying around because his dad used to own a computer shop. i don't see a blue screen but when i changed the setting not TO restart by itself all it does now is i see a black screen and sometimes green with nothing on it.Also this didnt used to happen when i had my 32 megs video card and my 30 gig hdd it only used to happen once in a while but now with my 80gig hdd and 64megs video card it does tht alot! if it is the video card how come it doesnt reset when i am playing games....but once black hawk down was loading and it reset!and when i burn a cd at 100% it resets no matter what programs i have running but when i go to safe mode which i am in right now :ph34r: it doesnt reset at aLL!

RGX
09-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Are you sure your PSU is not overheating? I have seen this happen to a PC, the PSU was so hot you could feel the heat coming off it with your hand a foot away, a new PSU was the answer to stop the rebooting.

Spicker
09-21-2003, 04:01 PM
my psu sometimes goes up to 55 degrees celcius and i can feel the heat when i touch the case its really hoT!but only happens when i play games.

thx alot guys i guess i bettter go get myself a new psu :D

zapjb
09-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Exactly RGX!