PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's Custom Built Comp Isnt Startin

Wolfmight
09-16-2003, 03:02 AM
Ok, I checked the manual and everything.. checked the Bios jumper settings.. The Front Panel/etc setup area (fine wires for Power Button, Reset, etc).. The Power supply to devices and Mobo. The DDR Ram is new (mobo only uses DDR).
The mobo says it supports Socket A AMD Althon, Althon XP (Ya see I'm not sure if the bios needs an update for this.. the mobo doesnt start up without a cpu.. Is it supposed to?)
I checked the power cord and all that stuff also.. The Power supply is 300w.

Here's what happends..
I plug the computer in.. I press the Power button.. The lights on the CD Row, Computer, etc flash on for a split second... nothing starts.

I checked the Reset CMOS to see if that would help.. nope

Quite annoying really

The motherboard brand is Chaintech (yea, i know it's sorta not very popular, but it's the one he picked out for a good price)
Chaintech 7KJD Information Official Website (http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=53)
^ go here to check the details on the board.

Useing new hardware with the comp..
80gb seagate 7200 rpm hd
1.0ghz amd althon
256mb DDR ram
64mb Geforce 4 MX 440
Linksys NIC
300w Powersupply

Evil Gemini
09-16-2003, 03:59 AM
I whent on this site and this guy has same problem as you.

http://www.computing.net/hardware/wwwboard/forum/15721.html

" I contacted Chaintech and guess what- their CMOS jumper pins are ass-backwards, ie, pins 1 & 3 are interchanged"

Read the last post its a bit stupid <_<

Somebody1234
09-16-2003, 04:20 AM
the mobo doesnt start up without a cpu.. Is it supposed to?

:lol: That&#39;s funny&#33; :lol:

No a computer will not work without a CPU&#33;

Evil Gemini
09-16-2003, 04:27 AM
Hey its just an honest Question. I have wondered that too.

clocker
09-16-2003, 04:29 AM
Wolfmight,

What&#39;s your lazyass Dad doing while you labor to fix his f*ckup?

Get him off your Mother and back to work&#33;

Wolfmight
09-16-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@15 September 2003 - 22:20

No, but you should be able to access the bios atleast w/o CPU.
Maybe a Bios Boot setting just to edit such settings Besides the CPU and stuff.

Wolfmight
09-16-2003, 04:39 AM
Dunno, but Chaintech sounds like a company that&#39;s full of sh1t.

My Gigabyte mobo on dis machine worked right away with the 2.0ghz amd althon xp 2400.

Maybe they should start engineering chains and how to make them stronger

Somebody1234
09-16-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight+15 September 2003 - 23:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wolfmight @ 15 September 2003 - 23:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Somebody1234@15 September 2003 - 22:20

Maybe a Bios Boot setting just to edit such settings Besides the CPU and stuff. [/b][/quote]
Nope. You can&#39;t go into the BIOS without a CPU.

Wolfmight
09-16-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Somebody1234+15 September 2003 - 22:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Somebody1234 @ 15 September 2003 - 22:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Wolfmight@15 September 2003 - 23:37
<!--QuoteBegin-Somebody1234@15 September 2003 - 22:20

Maybe a Bios Boot setting just to edit such settings Besides the CPU and stuff.
Nope. You can&#39;t go into the BIOS without a CPU. [/b][/quote]
I was just suggesting really.
It would be a nice new feature

Pitbul
09-16-2003, 04:01 PM
a "processor" is something that "processes" the information and turns it out onto your Monitor so being able to View BIOS would need a Processor to Process the info.Chaintech isn&#39;t a bad company i got a cheap Intel Mobo from then and it runs great.i can hold 2 gigs DDR 333 Ram an 8X AGP slot and 533 Bus for me 2.4 GHz Processor for 65 dollars.

_John_Lennon_
09-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@15 September 2003 - 22:02
Ok, I checked the manual and everything.. checked the Bios jumper settings.. The Front Panel/etc setup area (fine wires for Power Button, Reset, etc).. The Power supply to devices and Mobo. The DDR Ram is new (mobo only uses DDR).
The mobo says it supports Socket A AMD Althon, Althon XP (Ya see I&#39;m not sure if the bios needs an update for this.. the mobo doesnt start up without a cpu.. Is it supposed to?)
I checked the power cord and all that stuff also.. The Power supply is 300w.

Here&#39;s what happends..
I plug the computer in.. I press the Power button.. The lights on the CD Row, Computer, etc flash on for a split second... nothing starts.

I checked the Reset CMOS to see if that would help.. nope

Quite annoying really

The motherboard brand is Chaintech (yea, i know it&#39;s sorta not very popular, but it&#39;s the one he picked out for a good price)
Chaintech 7KJD Information Official Website (http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=53)
^ go here to check the details on the board.

Useing new hardware with the comp..
80gb seagate 7200 rpm hd
1.0ghz amd althon
256mb DDR ram
64mb Geforce 4 MX 440
Linksys NIC
300w Powersupply
Wolfmight, im glad u picked AMD, here is your reward, lol.

www.amdforums.com

This is pretty much your AMD community, and they have a entire forum for your motherboard company, so just sign up, and post there.

Oh, and then go into the Folding forum, and download the client, and start fighting cancer for the AMDMB team&#33;

liquidacid
09-17-2003, 01:01 AM
Check your motherboard is seated properly in the case. Try loosening the fixing screws and lifting the board slightly off the mountings, then switching on.

Oh and is it an atx power supply?

Wolfmight
09-17-2003, 03:14 AM
Yea, ATX powersupply, and it says 2.03 (P4) next to it.. This only powers intel chips&#33;??

the mobo is an amd socket a

Evil Gemini
09-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Its the jumpers man. If its not that get another board

liquidacid
09-17-2003, 10:33 AM
When you say nothing is starting, does this include the cpu fan?

Wolfmight
09-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by liquidacid@17 September 2003 - 04:33
When you say nothing is starting, does this include the cpu fan?
Yes.. after pressing the power buttons all the lights flash on for a split second.. that&#39;s it.. Everything doesnt start.

lynx
09-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Either the motherboard is not responding with a &#39;power good&#39; signal (the PS shuts down without this) or the PS is being overloaded/shorted (this also causes the PS to shut down).

Try disconnecting all the power leads except the one to the motherboard. If the same thing happens, the problem is either the PS or the motherboard. If it powers up, you have a fault on another device, or the connections to it, check the connector to the floppy drive in particular, it is easy to get this one pin over with some drives and you end up shorting the PS.

If you have determined that the probelm is the MB or PS, if you have another (good) PS, try that one, same result means faulty MB, power up means faulty PS.
Alternatively, try this PS with a MB you know is good, this time power up means faulty MB.

Pitbul
09-17-2003, 04:07 PM
how can a Ps overload with that? i was running a 2.4 GHz 400 FX5200 1 DVD-Rom and CD-RW and a 80 Gig HDD and 1 90 MM fan he has a 300w PSU im sure it should be able to run that Comp unless the PS is bad or gone bad.

EDIT: well i checked around and found that they do make PSU&#39;s for only Intel or AMD and well from what u said that Power Supply is Intel P4 only from what im guessing though to make this mistake is hard since when u buy the parts its labled or in the specs it tells you whether it supports Intel, AMD, or both.so if u keep having problems go and pick up a cheap 300w AMD power supply or u can find a cheap one at googlegear.com or newegg.com

Spindulik
09-17-2003, 07:43 PM
All of this talk about BIOS.

You guys never knew what it was like in the old days, when the BIOS chip didn&#39;t exist. A BIOS is just a HUGE macro of commands that tells your computer how to boot up.

In the old days, you had to type in the "BIOS" instructions by hand, in DOS mode. And hope you didn&#39;t have any typos. Windows wasn&#39;t invented yet. Windows is actually a huge shortcut for everything that was manually typed in, years ago.

lynx
09-17-2003, 08:05 PM
@pitbul - most intel MBs require an extra power connector, amd MBs don&#39;t need it. If the connector is present it will work with both types of MB. You can overload the PS by shorting 5V or 12V to ground - instant overload.

@spindulik - bios chips have been around since the first pc&#39;s, you have NEVER had to type them in.

Wolfmight
09-18-2003, 12:01 AM
My official Power Supply website info for the ps unit i have.
http://www.codegengroup.com/proddetail2.asp?id=27

_John_Lennon_
09-18-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Spindulik@17 September 2003 - 14:43

You guys never knew what it was like in the old days, when the BIOS chip didn&#39;t exist. A BIOS is just a HUGE macro of commands that tells your computer how to boot up.

In the old days, you had to type in the "BIOS" instructions by hand, in DOS mode. And hope you didn&#39;t have any typos. Windows wasn&#39;t invented yet. Windows is actually a huge shortcut for everything that was manually typed in, years ago.
Honestly, there is no reason to come in here and bitch about how we have it so good, and about how things were much harder in the old days.

What was the point of that post? Im just curious, to see how it was related to the topic.

Wolfmight
09-18-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+17 September 2003 - 20:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 17 September 2003 - 20:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spindulik@17 September 2003 - 14:43

Honestly, there is no reason to come in here and bitch about how we have it so good, and about how things were much harder in the old days.

What was the point of that post? Im just curious, to see how it was related to the topic. [/b][/quote]
yea.. i mean everything is getting easier.
IBM Self Healing Servers.. like.. damn