PDA

View Full Version : Avi/mpeg/etc

sampson
09-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Which is better? Ive been dl'ing avi's. A simple vote will do but if you wanna tell me why, Ill read that too. :D

Gre1
09-16-2003, 07:15 AM
Mpegs are better cause u can watch them in your DVD Player if it supports (S)Vcd's
but it matter who does them because u never know what the quality will look like but with avi's most times they are encoded with DIVX or XVID which improves quality a little and compresses size down to around to 600-700mb so I say they go half and half.

sampson
09-16-2003, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE]Mpegs are better cause u can watch them in your DVD Player if it supports (S)Vcd's[QUOTE]
But does that really matter b/c nero tells me it will convert to a usable format

Gre1
09-16-2003, 08:14 AM
Yes, it does matter, if your DVD player doesn't support (S)vcd's then u can't watch movies off the internet unless u have tv out of something on your comp and never use Nero to encode a movie. I would recommend u get Tmpgenc.

D!mensio_x
09-16-2003, 09:01 AM
:ph34r: I always download AVI-files of around 700 megs. These I then convert to svcd by using Dvd2svcd and the Cinema Craft Encoder. This gives me great quality.

Greetz, D!mensio_x. :ph34r:

miffo
09-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Seems a lot of trouble to change format and shit
Get a TV-out its not expensive and its a hell of a lot easier to watch any dnloaded movie u want
no trouble at all

sampson
09-16-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by D!mensio_x@16 September 2003 - 09:01
:ph34r: I always download AVI-files of around 700 megs. These I then convert to svcd by using Dvd2svcd and the Cinema Craft Encoder. This gives me great quality.

Could you go more in depth about this, Im curious and not sure how to do it. On a side note, has anyone found a good version of 'once upon a time in mexico'? All the versions i try are nothin but black screen.

vivitron 15
09-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by miffo@16 September 2003 - 11:02
Get a TV-out its not expensive and its a hell of a lot easier to watch any dnloaded movie u want
no trouble at all
this means you can only watch the movie on a TV which is near to your pc...you cant take the film to a mates very easily

sampson
09-16-2003, 11:23 AM
on another topic, what does "uuhash" mean? Or what is a hash?

D!mensio_x
09-16-2003, 01:27 PM
Could you go more in depth about this, Im curious and not sure how to do it.

:ph34r: I will do this later on the day..., but I suggest youd also take a look on this site: Doom9 (http://www.doom9.org).

Gre1
09-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by sampson@16 September 2003 - 06:23
on another topic, what does "uuhash" mean? Or what is a hash?
Just Read the FAQ

miffo
09-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by vivitron 15+16 September 2003 - 11:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vivitron 15 @ 16 September 2003 - 11:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-miffo@16 September 2003 - 11:02
no trouble at all
this means you can only watch the movie on a TV which is near to your pc...you cant take the film to a mates very easily [/b][/quote]
a bit of short thinkin from my side, i stand corrected :unsure:
all my friends got tv out u see so we never convert any files we just burn it
onto a CD to pass around

MUSLEMAN
09-16-2003, 05:17 PM
mpeg

D!mensio_x
09-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Could you go more in depth about this, Im curious and not sure how to do it.&nbsp;

Ok, so here it is. On the page I suggested earlier you can find the program Dvd2svcd aswell as some very good guides. You must really read these if you want to know more about avi/mpeg/video-encoding and all this stuff. Also you have to check whether your dvd-player plays svcd&#39;s. If it doesn&#39;t then you can use this program to make vcd&#39;s instead of svcd&#39;s.

I will tell you now how I go through things to make a really good quality svcd.

First I downloaded and installed Dvd2svcd, the Cinema Craft Encoder 2.67SP, a file called Eclcce (for loading the projectfile into CCE 2.67SP), Daemon tools, the K++ Lite Codec pack and Virtualdub. Then, after I have downloaded a movie (avi-file of around 700 megs), I will open it in Bs-player to verify it plays correct. Then I will open it in G-spot to see if I have all the codecs (if it doesn&#39;t play correct) and to see which ratio the movie is in (4/3 or 16/9). Then I will open it in Virtualdub to check for errors and to correct those errors.

After I have doen this I will open Dvd2svcd. I will select as the input file "Avi" and the program changes a little into Avi2svcd. I will select as the output-format "Svcd". Then I will open the movie in Avi2svcd, set the ratio (4/3 or 16/9), and perhaps adjust some of the settings. When I have done this, I just press convert and Avi2svcd will take care of everything in one run. It will extract the audio, convert it, convert the video, joins everything together again and produces about 2 bin/cue files (this depends on the lenght of the movie. If the movie is short then it will be one and if it&#39;s a very long movie there will be three bin/cue files). After waiting some time for the program to do all this, I will open the bin/cue files with Daemon Tools and play them for a while in Power-Dvd or Windows Media Player to check if they are ok. Then I will burn them with Nero using the disc-copy function and I will have two (or 1 or 3) svcd&#39;s of very good quality.

I hope this will help you get further.

Greetz, D&#33;mensio_x. :ph34r:

jakeblu
09-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Very nice and discriptive workflow.

Just one question does DVD2SVCD also do DVD&#39;s.

Dont want to download if its no use.

THanks

Jakeblu

D!mensio_x
09-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Just one question does DVD2SVCD also do DVD&#39;s.

:ph34r: Yes, Dvd2svcd does also do dvd&#39;s, hence the name. It was intended for converting dvd&#39;s to either vcd, svcd or dvd and they have added the option to use also Avi or digital video as input-format. I also use it for converting dvd&#39;s and the workflow gets even easier, because you just pop in your dvd and open it in Dvd2svcd. Then basically what you have to do it select the audio you want, the subtitles (Dvd2svcd can even copy the chapterselections to svcd, so you can jump forward and back while watching on your dvd-player) and set the deinterlace to telcine (that&#39;s because I use pal-dvd&#39;s, not ntsc). Hit convert and dvd2svcd does everything from ripping the dvd (video, audio and subtitles) to converting it and joining all the parts together again, so you will end up with about 2 bin/cue files.

It&#39;s really easy to use and I suggest you&#39;d take a look on Doom9 (http://www.doom9.org) and give it a try. I love this program.

Greetz, D&#33;mensio_x. :ph34r:

jakeblu
09-17-2003, 08:40 PM
Excellent and thanks for the info. I will have a look at the prog this weekend and see if its what I need, although I must say from your description it seems perfect.

I have added doom9 to my favorites but havent had too much time to go through it, perhaps again at the weekend (damn there goes the decorating)

Jakeblu

cockboy
09-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by vivitron 15+16 September 2003 - 12:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vivitron 15 @ 16 September 2003 - 12:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-miffo@16 September 2003 - 11:02
no trouble at all
this means you can only watch the movie on a TV which is near to your pc...you cant take the film to a mates very easily [/b][/quote]
Actually, you can route video/audio through a video recorder and put movies onto tape.
Thats what i do, and my pc is in my bedroom , tv & video are downstairs in sitting room.
cost £15 for 1x 15mtrs svideo lead + same of 6 core a/v grade wire for composite and sound output .
Had spare parts to make a stereo headphone jack (old headphones/ computer speakers) to two rca audio plugs (old hifi seperates).
Svideo gives a better picture than composite, but most video&#39;s only have scart so a 3 rca to scart in plug was needed, buy video connector kit from index or argos as it includes rca plugs and rca to scartplug plug.
Oh, should have said that you also need graphics card with tv out, (most recent one&#39;s come with tv out anyway).
i plug svideo into tv so as to get best picture on internet ,(although tv&#39;s max resolution is 800/600 ) and it is also good for big screen gaming if you have the cordless kit, which should cost no more than £70 for k/b, mouse & joypad.
I find logitech k/b mouse & joypad to have best range as can use all three downstairs (around 4.5 meters straight line through floor and probably a brick wall too).
to get wire downstairs was chore as had to lift carpets, floorboards in most rooms to route wires,(tried to follow radiator pipes so as no holes needing drilled except through ceiling above tv and floorboard under computer.)
If you can manage, try to get computer in room directly above tv , so as short a wire as possible.
hope this is of help, you need to make sure that you understand videocard controls as these can be a bit of a bugger to set up, but once it&#39;s going its great, hardly use monitor as so handy downstairs.( broadband is excellent as you can get t.v. channels from around world on own tv, as are games and films)
Cockboy&#33;