PDA

View Full Version : What do Singaporeans do?

DryingFizzle
02-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm moving to Singapore!!

I'm super excited about this. But I've heard stories of throttling and suing and other unpalatable things. So - is it safe to download in Singapore? What do people do?

A quick Alexa search reveals that file sharing doesn't seem that popular, and that streaming video seems to be the thing to do - is that right?

Anybody from Singapore here who can enlighten me?

Thanks a bunch!

Albo Da Kid
02-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Singapore is amazing to live in. I have heard great things about the lifestyle there. As far as piracy rules go, you don't have to worry about them. My Singaporean friend has been a pirate for about 10 years, and no problems so far.

You're going to hate the bandwidth speeds there though. They're ridiculously slow.

pentomato
02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
If they catch you downloading they will flag you with a cane, till you can't walk.

squall343
02-13-2009, 02:49 PM
they throttle a hell lot..

and the upload speed is pathetic

but not really many cases of getting sued in court..I guess you must be really unlucky if you get caught

Lovestoned
02-13-2009, 03:57 PM
AFAIK there are 2 ISPs there.

1. Singnet
2. Starhub

1 - Dedicated line, more expensive.
2 - Shared apartment block line, much cheaper.

2's upload speed is pathetic while 1 is still alright.

Just be careful on what you download and you'll be alright, trust me.

1000possibleclaws
02-13-2009, 05:44 PM
I would go along the assumption that as long as you don't use public trackers to download anything mainstream you should be fine. The only people I know who have gotten letters (albeit this is Canada not Singapore) have been from big movie produces such as Paramount and they got the ip's from public trackers.

tree_for
02-14-2009, 03:21 AM
take my word for this. there wont be much of a problem with anything here, as long as you know how to cover ur tracks...

and its especially not that hard for IT people like us.

cindy25
02-14-2009, 05:51 AM
at age 18 guys are drafted into the army, with no exceptions.

Sanka113
02-14-2009, 06:11 AM
^^^Even non citizens? I have a friend who not only pirates from singapore but he also runs a tracker too. You should be fine as long as your careful like you have to be everywhere else.

PlayeR
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
AFAIK there are 2 ISPs there.

1. Singnet
2. Starhub

1 - Dedicated line, more expensive.
2 - Shared apartment block line, much cheaper.

2's upload speed is pathetic while 1 is still alright.

Just be careful on what you download and you'll be alright, trust me.

You are from Singapore.

TP635
02-14-2009, 11:26 AM
The gov't is more interested in catching other form of cyber crime; torrenting is way down their list of priority.

Albo Da Kid
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
The gov't is more interested in catching other form of cyber crime; torrenting is way down their list of priority.
Yes..One of the biggest internet crimes in the the Asian interwebs, is illicit business.
The buying and selling of fake/bootleg merchandise seems to be the new quick moneymaker. Just last year a multi-millionare got knocked off for selling fake pharmaceutical drugs via the interwebz

cindy25
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
^^^Even non citizens? I have a friend who not only pirates from singapore but he also runs a tracker too. You should be fine as long as your careful like you have to be everywhere else.

citizens and permanent residents are drafted. they call it national service.

i believe its the only place in asia you can't buy pirated dvds on the street corner

DryingFizzle
02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Hey thanks a lot guys! <3

ps. Albo - do you have a link or something to the pharmaceutics story? There's been a lot of US/Canada tension over this too.