PDA

View Full Version : An Irc channel for FST?

hoodeh
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey all,

Was wondering why FST didn't have an IRC, and what everybody's opinion was on that.

I can already see the haters saying it would suck because all the scum would come beg for invites, but we could make it a private channel or have it well moderated, or even have a specific invite channel which only the one-month forum users would have access to...

So anyways, share your thoughts! :happy:

H.

Something Else
02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Sounds like a huge pile of wank.

Snee
02-15-2009, 01:42 PM
We had one way back, long before the bittard section was here. It was full of stupids then. Smart money says it wouldn't be better now.

silent2k8
02-15-2009, 02:44 PM
good question, if there is a channel i will join also.
staying in irc channels of sites you browse everyday is nice thing and welcomed.

Rat Faced
02-15-2009, 03:19 PM
There used to be an IRC channel, once upon a time..

hoodeh
02-15-2009, 10:20 PM
There used to be an IRC channel, once upon a time..

What was the reason for getting rid of it?

Rat Faced
02-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Mainly the members, as I recall.

They set it up and the board provided a link to it (as did K++), but then they started doing stuff that the board wanted no part of.

It still exists: http://irc.netsplit.de/channels/details.php?room=%23KLChat&net=P2PChat

pone44
02-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Irc? Am a noob with it but should be very interesting.
I never knew FSt had one. :idunno:

Rat Faced
02-15-2009, 10:51 PM
It doesn't.. the members of klite board (which was this a long way back) created that room, which was never officially adopted by the forum, but they did provide links to it, before it got out of hand.

JPaul
02-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Hey all,

Was wondering why FST didn't have an IRC, and what everybody's opinion was on that.

To what end.

What do you see it achieving.

Skiz
02-16-2009, 01:26 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-fst-irc-273211/

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-fst-irc-245393/

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-irc-chatroom-199419/

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-chat-irc-channel-filesharingtalk-139589/

Etc...

hoodeh
02-16-2009, 02:20 AM
Yeah skizo I read those, but since none had closure I thought I should give the idea a try again.. :whistling

I originally wanted to make this a poll with a yes or no answer but I guess I don't have the sufficient privileges to create a poll.
Maybe a mod could have the kindness to make this thread one! :)

Personnaly I think an IRC would be great for the community! :happy:

Skiz
02-16-2009, 02:35 AM
A poll really isn't necessary since we aren't going to make a channel.

We had one before and it didn't go over well. Members have created them in the past as well and they've always fizzled out rather quickly. If you'd like to try it again, have at it.

pone44
02-16-2009, 04:07 AM
It does seem like it would be a pain to get up and working properly but then i have no idea? Never visited or knew about the k-lite irc as i do not use Irc too much.It would be cool but too many members-hard to moderate-ect.. Try it but it would not be affiliated with fst at all-to my knowledge..Do not think? It would be a bunch of arguments-ect. :argue:Is probably better to leave it be-as is.

hoodeh
02-17-2009, 07:38 AM
It does seem like it would be a pain to get up and working properly but then i have no idea? Never visited or knew about the k-lite irc as i do not use Irc too much.It would be cool but too many members-hard to moderate-ect.. Try it but it would not be affiliated with fst at all-to my knowledge..Do not think? It would be a bunch of arguments-ect. :argue:Is probably better to leave it be-as is.

Yeah, since FST staff doesn't want an irc, there's no interest in pusrsuing this unofficially, it wouldn't be worth it.

Meh whatever at least I gave it a try ;)

-thread can be closed

H.

walkman79
02-17-2009, 10:58 PM
It saddens me to see this will never happen again :(

I would really like a official channel where people could interact instantly

hoodeh
02-18-2009, 12:44 AM
"You can't always get what you want" ;)

Rat Faced
02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Nothing stopping you creating your own room, or using the one already there.. Just that this board wont supply one for you.

pone44
02-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Imagine that though. If created by a regular member, anything can go down. may need to get one so members can privately :argue: there instead. :P? Anarchy at worst. lol joking-actually ?

hoodeh
02-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Imagine that though. If created by a regular member, anything can go down. may need to get one so members can privately :argue: there instead. :P? Anarchy at worst. lol joking-actually ?

Would you join an unofficial FST channel? I wouldn't. :ermm:
The staff seems to have made up its mind, no point in arguing.
The only way I see it happening is if some of the old school loungers decide to go along with the idea, which I doubt will happen.

droste
02-20-2009, 05:25 PM
let's create an unofficial one on p2p-network for instance or something?

NippleCake
02-20-2009, 06:06 PM
i can imagine the amount of people skipping signups to the site and going straight there to beg for invites

Rat Faced
02-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Ask Skweeky, she really enjoyed the last one... and has nothing to do at the minute...

droste
02-22-2009, 07:02 PM
if we create, will u mind? or we punished?

Rat Faced
02-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Can't see that admin would give a stuff... as long as it was understood that the room was not connected to the board.

hoodeh
02-22-2009, 10:28 PM
We should make a poll to see how many people would join.

Skiz
02-22-2009, 11:48 PM

Why not just create it (again) and see how many will join? :idunno:

pone44
02-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Maybe, just to see it out of curiosity? Never know.. lol :P

Would you join an unofficial FST channel? I wouldn't. :ermm:
The staff seems to have made up its mind, no point in arguing.
The only way I see it happening is if some of the old school loungers decide to go along with the idea, which I doubt will happen.

Could care less.I have no problem with that^!

If members create their own rooms it will have no affiliation as posted, plus whop is going to monitor it so others do not trade? Not for me.

Will not happen as posted.

droste
02-23-2009, 01:13 AM

Why not just create it (again) and see how many will join? :idunno:sounds good to me, now i just hope someone will arrange this:01:

rockaa
02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Well, it sounds good.

As I see it, it will be very hard to manage without the help of FST-admins. Because if it should be done, without having alot of unserious people and it all going up in flames. It should be a requirement with registration, like trackers do it nowadays.
So you could ban people, which were only on irc for hurrasing or didnt obey the rules on the channel.

Thereby you would also known the people on the chat if there was a registration or some kind of approvel were nessary to enter the irc-channel.

JPaul
02-24-2009, 12:01 AM
We had a room on soulseek. FC set it up an we joined in, shared files and chatted.

That was fun, it was like a one to one filesharing thing with chat added in to the mix.

How things have progressed since then.

Swift
02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
it will be huge but i don't think this would work. Because people couldn't chat ... from the spam

rvgdse
03-18-2009, 09:29 PM
I would definitely join! Always fun to have some place to idle and chat every now and then!

darkstate01
03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
IRC was my first venture into the internet, You can learn everything you want on there from microsoft word to Securing your network...Happy days
But you can also get hacked with bots(iroffer root kits) and have your PC become part of a Botnet as i did when i accepted a file someone sent me :( ,you live and learn.
As far as setting up a channel for this place ,why not its a free world. If you want to do just do it but take my advice, Its starts off easy then gradually kicks you in the sack :cry:, And then you become an admin and the power goes to your head and you sit there banning everyone you don't like, like a real sad sack.:whistling
But on a brighter note , I'll join :)

1000possibleclaws
03-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Well I doubt any staff here have the time to set up and manage an irc channel. Someone would either have to find some way to mod the forum so that the ips coming into the irc match up with the ips for that user's profile so that there wouldn't be people coming in as someone else to start shit or confuse people. I think it would just be way too much work to make an 'official' irc channel for FST.

You guys can feel free to make one yourself ;)

bilkenter
03-22-2009, 06:30 PM
if there is one, i am definitely in, would be awesome even just to talk most of the sites i am on xS has a dead irc chat xS tr as an example, i wanna talk with guyz who are into beats... xD but cant find a group of peole talking over it really especially on trackers, so bring it on, i will be there xD though now exam period, will be regularly on it.

The_Martinator
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Tbh, I'm not a big fan of IRC. I'm in a time zone when not much is going on, so I prefer forums. The fact that this one doesn't have an IRC channel actually makes it better for me, as I don't miss anything.

vasamihu
04-14-2009, 03:42 PM
i agree with you. i want IRC, too!:D

kaffeine
04-14-2009, 04:19 PM
i agree with you. i want IRC, too!:D
Download mIRC.

Done.

Qlix
04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I agree, a FST IRC Channel would be kewl.

The Flying Cow
04-15-2009, 03:58 PM
I agree, a FST IRC Channel would be kewl.

You'd be on it a lot, eh? :P