PDA

View Full Version : From Xp to Vista x64

Swift
02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I have a Intel Dual Core 2.4GHz , 2GB DDR2 , HDD 250 GB, GeForce 8500GT 512MB , can I run Microsoft.Windows.Vista.ULTIMATE.x64.SP1.Integrated.February.2009. this properly ?
Any opinion should I stay with Xp ?

vivitron 15
02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I think the "Dual Core" is a 32 bit processor? If I remember correctly, "Core 2 Duo" were the first dual core 64 bit chips (from intel).

If so, then no, you can't run Vista 64. You should be able to run 32 bit Vista instead.

clocker
02-16-2009, 10:32 PM
All Intel dual cores from the Pentium D up are 64 bit chips.
So yes, you could run that OS if you wanted to.

Given you rather low (sorry) spec level however, XP or Windows7 would probably run better than Vista.

tesco
02-16-2009, 10:35 PM
All Intel dual cores from the Pentium D up are 64 bit chips.
So yes, you could run that OS if you wanted to.

Given you rather low (sorry) spec level however, XP or Windows7 would probably run better than Vista.
Xp and 7 runs better than vista no matter what the spec.:rolleyes:

Naix, vista will run fine if that's what you want.

peat moss
02-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Look for Vista Black 32 bit and try that if you really must have Vista .

Detale
02-17-2009, 07:42 AM
There's also a lovely Vista eternity edition 32 and 64 bit out there as well, but you should really try Win7 first if even for a short while :)

Also for the 64 are you planning on getting more ram? I think 2Gb will be ok but you could go up and up for pretty cheap these days.

Swift
02-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Actually I want to get change a bit I'm pretty tierd from Windows XP and from it's design ( I don't want tweaks and themes )

Is Windows 7 a final version ? or it's still beta ?

There's also a lovely Vista eternity edition 32 and 64 bit out there as well, but you should really try Win7 first if even for a short while :)

Also for the 64 are you planning on getting more ram? I think 2Gb will be ok but you could go up and up for pretty cheap these days.

I probably get some I don't really know when maybe yes

micropino
02-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Yes, your rig can run vista x64! but wait what is the reason you are emigrating from xp to vista? If there is a reason that deserve the change, I would rather name it "downgrading" from xp to vista, as your rig performance will be minimized especially with 2GB Ram.
My Experience: I tried going from xp 32 to vista 32 and found it useless; better appearance with lower performane... then I tried the vista 64 with 4GB rams where I faced drivers/programs 64 compatability issues... so I am back to my xp waiting for Win7 uptill this moment, it has great previews and will handle dual/quad cores better than xp... but it is a matter for time
NB: some call the vista (millenium reloaded) I hope you got what it means :)

Good luck

Detale
02-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Win 7 is still a beta yes but from what I've found it has very few bugs, None that I have personally seen, and there are plenty of patches out there for the time limit and such ;)

I think you should just give it a try what do you have to lose you're reinstalling anyway right? Go to MS and Dl it from them so you get the latest version.

Swift
02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I will try it out but not now because I just recently reinstalled my WinXP ( 1 week ago ) . Thanks for the advices feel free to come and share stuff that I should and shouldn't use in Win 7

Micropino I want to change design/theme , icons stuff like that and I don't wan't Stardock to tune my XP

clocker
02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I will try it out but not now because I just recently reinstalled my WinXP ( 1 week ago ) .
And you're still exhausted from the ordeal?

Swift
02-21-2009, 04:25 PM
I will try it out but not now because I just recently reinstalled my WinXP ( 1 week ago ) .
And you're still exhausted from the ordeal?

No but I'm to lazy and actually don't have much time atm.

Swift
03-13-2009, 08:04 AM
vista works smooth i like it !

Detale
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM
You have my deepest condolences man. If you like Vista you'll LOVE Win7 dude. Try it next time even if its only to try. Its well worth it

peat moss
03-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Glad you got it sorted Naix , I see you like to change icons from your post .

Have you tried TuneUp Utilities ? They have a 64 bit version :

http://www.tune-up.com/download/

You don't have to give them your E-Mail addy just click D/L .

Swift
03-14-2009, 11:27 AM
I guess i was wrong i don't like vista I'm back to my old Windows XP Profesional.

Yes Peat I use TuneUp it's already runing !

I need a solution for my XP for an antivirus and a firewall or something that got both and works easy and ok !

clocker
03-14-2009, 11:58 AM
So what happened?
Within 24 hours you went from liking Vista to reverting to XP, not a bad turnaround for someone who claims to be lazy and pressed for time.

Old_Swift_acct
03-14-2009, 12:27 PM
it's saturday I have time now :P

My internet didn't work anymore to many questions asked and I had the 64 bits installed that sucks !

clocker
03-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Sounds like you weren't very well prepared for the change.

Old_Swift_acct
03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Sounds like you weren't very well prepared for the change.

Yes that's exactlly why I changed to Xp again not that I couldn't make it works but it's easy for me XP I only have 2GB DDR2

clocker
03-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Not to come across as snobbish- although in fact, I probably am- but I almost feel sorry for people who didn't take advantage of the absurdly low RAM prices we've seen the past year/year and a half.
You could have been surfing along on 4 or 8GB of memory which would have made the earlier days of Vista nearly painless and Win7 absolutely fly.

I think these days are soon to end though.
The massive manufacturing overcapacity has been throttled back and SSDs are providing an outlet for supply that simple desktop modules did not.
That's probably the biggest single reason for the precipitous price drop of solid state drives lately...cheap RAM chips.

It's not too late to jump on the DDR2 bandwagon though...especially if memory capacity is all that tethers you to XP.

Old_Swift_acct
03-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I thinking of buying some Ram's this month so don't worry .

peat moss
03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey I see there's a Windows 7 Black Edition 2009 R1 Beta *32-bit out .:lol: How do we keep up with this shit ?

Old_Swift_acct
03-14-2009, 03:39 PM
It's almost every day that a new tweak or some new version of 7 drops on the trackers.
Yes same question peat