PDA

View Full Version : VncServer Problems

cow800
02-18-2009, 06:00 PM
I am having trouble installing vncserver while following NaQ's guide.
I am using Ubuntu desktop 8.04
When i try to install VncServer i get this error:

apt-get install vncserver
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package vncserver is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package vncserver has no installation candidate

can someone please help?

All the other programs install fine

lee551
02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
try

apt-get install vnc4server

i had the same issue with mine. i think the guide needs to be updated.

cow800
02-18-2009, 06:27 PM
thanks lee551. seemed to work. i am on this bit now.

nano .vnc/xstartup

add fluxbox to the file

i cannot read anything in the file. Is it ment to be blank?

lee551
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
thanks lee551. seemed to work. i am on this bit now.

nano .vnc/xstartup

add fluxbox to the file

i cannot read anything in the file. Is it ment to be blank?

yea it is. just add 'fluxbox' and then ctrl-o to save and ctrl-x to exit nano.

cow800
02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
thanks. i am now logged in with tightvnc. Only i am now having trouble setting up ftp because i cant log in as root.
Is there any way of resetting the password or creating a new root account?

lee551
02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
thanks. i am now logged in with tightvnc. Only i am now having trouble setting up ftp because i cant log in as root.
Is there any way of resetting the password or creating a new root account?

i was told that kimi won't give root access on ubuntu (security reasons i guess? can't elaborate on that). you should have an admin account which you can use for sudo commands.

cow800
02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
yeah i did but i changed the password. i seem to be able to get it to work in putty with the new password but not in xterm

when i try this vncserver -kill :1 i get

Can't find file /home/admin/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You'll have to kill the Xvnc process manually

what does that mean?

lee551
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
yeah i did but i changed the password. i seem to be able to get it to work in putty with the new password but not in xterm

when i try this vncserver -kill :1 i get

Can't find file /home/admin/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You'll have to kill the Xvnc process manually

what does that mean?

the guide has you start the VNC process while logged in as the new user you created. if i logged in as admin and tried to kill vncserver i got your same error. i did this and got it killed

$ su your_other_username
Password:
$ vncserver -kill :1
Killing Xvnc process ID 24881

cow800
02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
i solved it , i just had to log in as my new username. When i am connecting to vnc with localhost do i always have to keep putty connected?

lee551
02-18-2009, 08:05 PM
i solved it , i just had to log in as my new username. When i am connecting to vnc with localhost do i always have to keep putty connected?

nope

cow800
02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Do i need to open a port for utorrent because it says i am receiving no incoming connections

lee551
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Do i need to open a port for utorrent because it says i am receiving no incoming connections

i didn't and i have a green checkmark in utorrent. did you change utorrent settings to use a port above 45000?

cow800
02-18-2009, 09:33 PM
yeah i did change it to a port above 45000 but surely iptables will be blocking it because it dosn't tell you to add a rule for it

seedplace
02-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Ubuntu desktop never comes with root user enabled. Just type

sudo passwd root
enter a new password and you'll enable root

lee551
02-18-2009, 09:37 PM
yeah i did change it to a port above 45000 but surely iptables will be blocking it because it dosn't tell you to add a rule for it

did you install a firewall yet? if not, i can't think of any other reasons why you wouldn't get connections on a well-seeded torrent. i didn't have to change anything regarding iptables.

cow800
02-18-2009, 09:55 PM
i have installed fiestarter as the guide said. I am downloading/uploading on the torrents , but at the botom it says i have connection problems and its not a green tick. also the speeds are not too good.

I also cannot access my ftp . it just says access denied:(
what happens if they find out its being used for torrents?

lee551
02-18-2009, 11:05 PM
try to change your port number, close utorrent, close the xterm terminal that launched utorrent, and then change the vsftpd.conf to the new port number. kill the vnc server. wait a few mins. then restart the vnc server, start a fresh utorrent and see if you get your green check.

sometimes if i close utorrent and open it again too soon i won't get the green check again without changing the port and restarting everything.

cow800
02-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I changed the port number and it seems to be ok now. Gonna try messing about with the ftp tomorrow cos its driving me mad now:(