PDA

View Full Version : Baby question

Skweeky
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
I know this is a bit of a weird place to ask but a few of you have kids so:

Ben is 15 weeks now and he used to sleep through the night until last week. He now wakes up at 12 and again at 3 and every time takes a full feed, so he is obviously hungry.
I know goverment guidelines say you shouldn't start them on solids before 18 weeks but I was wondering if any of you have started earlier than this? He's big for his age (92nd percentile for both height and weight), so I'm wondering if he needs more than what I can give him...
I asked my health visitor about it but obviously she's pretty much tied to the official stance.

Barbarossa
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Seems a bit early to me, but when we were at this stage the baby was on formula milk not breast milk so can't really compare.

What we used to do was for the last feed in the evening use stage 2 "hungry baby milk" rather than the stage 1 "premium" milk, because it's thicker and meant that she could last through the night.

...however the health visitor frowned on this technique also.. meh.

Remember when they start solids it's such a little piddling amount they have anyway that milk still forms the basis of their diet for a few months anyway.

Skweeky
02-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah.... I'm going to start giving him some formula before his last breastfeed I think and see how I get on with that.
If I see no change in a week then I might try him on some baby rice or something.

Squeamous
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't have kids, but people who do generally say they learnt by the second child to go with their gut feelings and tell the health visitors to stuff themselves. Babies aren't all 'average'. I think you should listen to your gut feelings Skweeks, and if you think he needs more then give him more. He's on a pretty healthy diet if you're breastfeeding anyway. People say breastfed babies grow up to be slimmer adults.

Skweeky
02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
So they say indeed. I hope he's dead clever so he can become rich and buy me a yacht. And a moat. To keep the yacht in.

Rat Faced
02-19-2009, 06:40 PM
I know this is a bit of a weird place to ask but a few of you have kids so:

Ben is 15 weeks now and he used to sleep through the night until last week. He now wakes up at 12 and again at 3 and every time takes a full feed, so he is obviously hungry.
I know goverment guidelines say you shouldn't start them on solids before 18 weeks but I was wondering if any of you have started earlier than this? He's big for his age (92nd percentile for both height and weight), so I'm wondering if he needs more than what I can give him...
I asked my health visitor about it but obviously she's pretty much tied to the official stance.

Alex was already swiping my Prawn Crackers at that age. Try giving him something that melts to chew on and he'll decide if he wants to eat yet.

He wasn't damaged until you and NikkiD got hold of him at a much later stage in his development :dry:

Skweeky
02-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Hmmm yeah... see he gets this little pills that disolve when you put them on the tongue and he loves them. He's chewing away as soon as he tastes them

Rat Faced
02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that you're not suposed to be feeding him E at this stage..

Skweeky
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
It's herbal. For his teeth.

Snee
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Herbal e? Sounds like win.

Also: It most likely wouldn't hurt him to try a spoonful or so of some very mild baby foods. Just keep an eye on him after, just in case it gives him a tummy ache or something.

I'm not a parent, though, I just have four younger siblings, and a large extended fambly with shitloads of cousins and whatnot.

chalice
02-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Herbal E sucks the balls to the max.

Precisely the head-rush effect of Amyl Nitrate only it goes on for several hours. I didn't check the elasticity of my sphincter on it so I can't really comment on that part.

In no way similar to MDMA by any stretch, like.

True story.

Skweeky
02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Don't talk about MDMA, it made me go crazy. I ended up on antidepressants after a bad MDMA trip.

And it's not E ffs. It's just teething powder.

I hope.

Squeamous
02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
So they say indeed. I hope he's dead clever so he can become rich and buy me a yacht. And a moat. To keep the yacht in.

If he's thin he's bound to be rich and successful!

100%
02-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Our kid got breastfeed until he was six months. Mom did not find that a problem even though he woke up during the night.
My brothers second baby got harsh treatment,(opposed to spoiled first child) after 1 month, no nothing at night, even if she she cried all night...Baby sleeps all night now.

Skweeky
02-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah I don't mind getting up during the night but he's really big so I think I'll just go with the flow. Gave him some banana puree this morning, he loved it.

JPaul
02-20-2009, 06:22 PM
We had them all on "solids" long before the recommended times.

Get him on the grub, the poor weans hungry.

Also he could be thirsty, gie the wean a drink ffs ya cruel bastard.

A rusk and half a can of Irn Bru that'll sort the wee fella out.

Snee
02-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Also he could be thirsty, gie the wean a drink ffs ya cruel bastard.

A rusk and half a can of Irn Bru that'll sort the wee fella out.

My dad did something along those lines and I turned out all right :yes:

+1

Skweeky
02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
He gets water you phuckwits.

Chavis' trend seems to be catching.

Rat Faced
02-20-2009, 08:37 PM

If he's thin he's bound to be rich and successful!

Don't tell her that, she'll stop feeding him :unsure:

JPaul
02-21-2009, 12:25 AM
He gets water you phuckwits.

Well feed him then, the poor mite's hungry.

Something pureed all up to fuck. Just as long as it's not banana.

callum
02-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Just as long as it's not banana.

Quavers, skips and milky bars are all a young child needs. Space raiders are a bad idea though.

My six year old has a crisps phobia now. He hadn't wanted to eat crisps since he was three or there abouts. One night he ran away from me when I opened a pack of prawn cocktail next to him. I took notice of his weakness and the next night, when he was annoying me, I chased him about the house with a space raider, he was in tears like.

I thought he must be the only one who had a fear of crisps, but I googled it and there's loads of weirdos like him.

If anyone from social services reads this forum and has taken notice of my parenting skills, I may be in a bit of trouble.

Detale
02-21-2009, 07:20 AM
2 out of 3 of mine are still in the 95th percentile height and weight at ages 2 and 4. I don't know if you have these where you are but I know all my little ones loved them and they are a great thing to test the solid food waters out. The first are "Veggie puffs" they have different flavors and the melt right away as someone suggested above. The other are "yogurt melts" and again as the title suggests they melt in about 2-3 seconds so the risk of the tike choking is almost none. Check them out (http://www.gerber.com/products/Veggie_Puffs.aspx). As long as you only give them a little "solid food at first and they can digest it all should be well.

Skweeky
02-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Why the phuck can I no give him banana JayPea?

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I can take it from here.

Detale, I've not seen the things you are talking about but I'll have a wee look about. For now though he seems happy with a few slices of mashed banana and a bottle of formula + breastmilk when he goes to bed. He only woke up once last night for a quick drink, but that was after a good 8 hours sleep so seems to be working for him.

JPaul
02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
2 out of 3 of mine are still in the 95th percentile height and weight at ages 2 and 4. I don't know if you have these where you are but I know all my little ones loved them and they are a great thing to test the solid food waters out. The first are "Veggie puffs" they have different flavors and the melt right away as someone suggested above. The other are "yogurt melts" and again as the title suggests they melt in about 2-3 seconds so the risk of the tike choking is almost none. Check them out (http://www.gerber.com/products/Veggie_Puffs.aspx). As long as you only give them a little "solid food at first and they can digest it all should be well.

Genious :glag::earl:

Highlights

"...a great thing to test the solid food waters out"

Speaks for itself

"...so the risk of the tike choking is almost none"

So what, 60/40 on infanticide.

As long as you only give them a little "solid food at first and they can digest it all should be well.

:sage:

JPaul
02-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Why the phuck can I no give him banana JayPea?

I think it's better to introduce vegetables before fruit. The banana is sweet and he'll be all like, ya dancer get that into me. Then if he gets vegetables he'll be like, fuck that where's my banana, milk girl. Babies are cunning wee bar stewards.

Avocado, that's quality but well ripe and all mashed up to fuck. Well cooked carrots all soft and puréed.

Remember to try one thing at a time, don't change about. Feed something for a few days just in case he reacts badly then you'll know what it is.

vrie
02-21-2009, 04:28 PM
ok, I breast fed both of my children until 2 yrs. in the beginning it was hard to find a good schedule but after a few weeks it does get better then they change again and again.. They fed for comfort and because they were hungry.
Both ate at different times and speeds but your body will fill your child's demands if you are willing to fed at all hours.. He will be much healthier if you can stick to your guns and breast feed... formula causes more of a tummy ache then breast milk. If you want more help staying on track with breast feeding I am a part of the la leche league please let me know... oh & if you need to feed him something solid try taking a banana and smash it with a spoon until it is smooth and creamy them add a bit of breast milk and try it.. it worked for my youngest and made her so happy... : } for teething their is a tablet that you can use from heath food stores or old trick freeze a wet wash cloth and let them naw away.... hope this helps some..

Skweeky
02-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Ok well... I started off with banana so I'll stick to that for a few days and then try carrots.

Detale
02-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Highlights

Speaks for itself

As long as you only give them a little "solid food at first and they can digest it all should be well.

Another quality post from a quality member. You're an asset to the place :dabs:

Skweeky
02-21-2009, 06:47 PM
ok, I breast fed both of my children until 2 yrs. in the beginning it was hard to find a good schedule but after a few weeks it does get better then they change again and again.. They fed for comfort and because they were hungry.
Both ate at different times and speeds but your body will fill your child's demands if you are willing to fed at all hours.. He will be much healthier if you can stick to your guns and breast feed... formula causes more of a tummy ache then breast milk. If you want more help staying on track with breast feeding I am a part of the la leche league please let me know... oh & if you need to feed him something solid try taking a banana and smash it with a spoon until it is smooth and creamy them add a bit of breast milk and try it.. it worked for my youngest and made her so happy... : } for teething their is a tablet that you can use from heath food stores or old trick freeze a wet wash cloth and let them naw away.... hope this helps some..

Thanks for that.

I intend to keep feeding him breastmilk as his main diet as it were, but as I said before, he is a big boy for his age and he needs more than just breastmilk. I don't mind getting up once or twice a night to feed him, but not 3 to 4 times as I was doing over the last week. It left me feeling absolutely exhausted with no energy to play or interact with him throughout the day. I think it's important to strike a right balance. He's been getting a little bit of mashed banana in the morning and a few ounces of formula before bedtime, followed by breastmilk...
He's much happier and not asking to be fed all the time and he's way more alert so I think this is the way to go for him.
I'm part of a breastfeeding group myself and I'm doing training to become a Community Mum. I think breastfeeding is really important but so is the need of the child.
Ben has always been early with all his milestones and I'm letting him decide what pace he wants to go at. He was giving out signals that he was ready for a little bit of solid food so that's what I'm going with.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

JPaul
02-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Highlights

Speaks for itself

Your an arsehole, so that balances it out.

JPaul
02-21-2009, 11:12 PM

First post, in the Lounge, of a filesharing forum, about breast feeding, weaning and teething, discussing your two children who you breast fed until they were 2, and you've already got an avatar.

I think you might not be totally new here, am I right.

Detale
02-21-2009, 11:42 PM

You just broke the truce you know?

JPaul
02-22-2009, 12:33 AM

You just broke the truce you know?

Nope, like you always say what happens there happens there. Nothing to do with here.

Your rules, not mine.

Detale
02-22-2009, 06:25 AM
So was I under the wrong impression that the truce was only valid in there?

Skweeky
02-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Stop arguing in my baby thread!

I tried mixing in the breastmilk with the banana, he loved it!

Carrots tomorrow.

Imagine_If
02-22-2009, 12:39 PM
..if you do try solids Skweeky,be sure that the food is without salt! If I were you..and that would be extremely difficult :P ,...jusrt carry on with breast feeding thats best

JPaul
02-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Stop arguing in my baby thread!

I tried mixing in the breastmilk with the banana, he loved it!

Carrots tomorrow.

No-one's arguing, pal.

We liked giving them puréed avocado.

A great deal of people are aware that the Avocado is creamy, rich and delicious in guacamole or added to a salad, but did you know, it is also packed with nutrients and offer many health benefits?

They are known to contain a lot of fat, however, it is the “good” fat- monounsaturated fat, the kind that helps promote a healthy heart. This little fruit contains potassium, vitamin E, folic acid, vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, iron, copper, magnesium, vitamin K, vitamin C and fiber. It contains 60% more potassium than the amount found in bananas.

Avocados also contain oleic acid, glutathione, an antioxidant with anti-carcinogenic potential and a significant amount of a cholesterol-lowering phytosterol called beta-sitosterol. Oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat, may help to lower cholesterol and has recently been shown to offer significant protection against breast cancer.

http://www.organicauthority.com/blog/organic/organic-food/the-avocado-natures-little-wonder/

Skweeky
02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Avocado on Wednesday!

JPaul
02-22-2009, 05:59 PM
When they got older I used to make their dinners then freeze them. Pot of for example potatoes, parsnip,carrots, mince something like that. Purée it all up to fuck then in bags and frozen. Take the bag out of a morning and it was ready for teatime. That way we new exactly what we were giving them and that there were no hidden extras.

As they got older I simply puréed it up less and less and gradually weaned them onto more solid food.

And also

http://www.answerbag.com/articles/How-to-Choose-an-Avocado/4c3e867c-0e0c-51fb-fe87-f861b59d17eb

peat moss
02-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Buy a gas mask you'll need it , I can remember my lil one was allergic to breast milk and tried the soy milk . Toxic diapers like you won't believe . All my kids ate solid foods early , 5 months I think tho .

All babies are different , throw the book away .

I just asked my wife , she used pablum in their bottle at 4 months to help them sleep . You have to enlarge the nipple first . The bottle guy's, not Skweeky's .:D

JPaul
02-22-2009, 06:25 PM

Well perhaps use it as guidance rather than an instruction manual.

peat moss
02-22-2009, 06:34 PM

Well perhaps use it as guidance rather than an instruction manual.

My mom inl-aw use to go nuts as I'd buy books or go to the library to search .Thank god we had the Interweb by the third one . :D

Rat Faced
02-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Surely you didn't STILL need an instruction Manual to get the third one...

Skweeky
02-23-2009, 09:52 AM
He probably did, they change the guidelines every 4 minutes.

JPaul
02-23-2009, 11:56 PM
By child 4 I'm pretty sure we were making a decent effort of raising her. She is healthy and happy and everyone who meets here says she is a joy to be with. We have never had so much as one negative comment from her teachers, in fact quite the reverse. They uniformly describe her in glowing terms.

clocker
02-24-2009, 01:33 AM
So the payoffs are working.
Good to know.

JPaul
02-24-2009, 01:44 AM
So the payoffs are working.
Good to know.

Careful where you go there, old bean.

Detale
02-24-2009, 03:17 AM
Wow touched a nerve there. :P

micropino
02-24-2009, 07:23 AM
I have a kid too who looks older than his age... sometimes pediatricians treated him according to his length and body weight regardless to his actual age...
so you may cross the line in an acceptable range, so may start feeding him solid food a bit early and step by step...

This is from my own experience, you may contact another pediatrician before going through this... Say hi to your cute baby :)

Skweeky
02-24-2009, 10:19 AM
By child 4 I'm pretty sure we were making a decent effort of raising her. She is healthy and happy and everyone who meets here says she is a joy to be with. We have never had so much as one negative comment from her teachers, in fact quite the reverse. They uniformly describe her in glowing terms.

I'm sure mine will be cleverer and better than anyone else's :snooty:

JPaul
02-24-2009, 01:24 PM

I'm sure mine will be cleverer and better than anyone else's :snooty:

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

Skweeky
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Trying avocado tomorrow btw. Carrot today, it went down, but it wasn't as popular as the banana.

JPaul
02-24-2009, 09:00 PM
See my previous re "hoi milk girl, what's this garbage where's my fucking banana"

Remember you can be eclectic, he doesn't give a shit (well he does, you know what I mean). You might not fancy banana and avocado, he isn't a bigot tho'. Not suggesting that particular mix like, just illustrating a point.

Skweeky
02-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Actually, banana and avocado tastes like chocolate. True story.

JPaul
02-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Actually, banana and avocado tastes like chocolate. True story.

I thought you Belgians liked your chocolate seriously bitter and stuff.

chalice
02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Farley's Rusks.

They fucking rawk.

http://www.foodireland.com/images/pharm/600100.gif

True story.

Skweeky
02-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Too much sugar, fat head.

As for the chocolate... I prefer milk chocolate with a praline filling. YUm.

Detale
02-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Praline filling?? Peanut butter is better :snooty:

Skweeky
02-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes, last time I was in the states, the wonderful world of M&Ms with peanut butter opened up...

It's a good thing they don't sell them here; I'd be the size of a house by now.

CrabGirl
02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Just as long as it's not banana.

Quavers, skips and milky bars are all a young child needs. Space raiders are a bad idea though.

My six year old has a crisps phobia now. He hadn't wanted to eat crisps since he was three or there abouts. One night he ran away from me when I opened a pack of prawn cocktail next to him. I took notice of his weakness and the next night, when he was annoying me, I chased him about the house with a space raider, he was in tears like.

I thought he must be the only one who had a fear of crisps, but I googled it and there's loads of weirdos like him.

If anyone from social services reads this forum and has taken notice of my parenting skills, I may be in a bit of trouble.

That is hilarious. I have part ownership of two small boys each weekend and they spend all week eating crap processed food and sugar, then come to us and it's a nightmare getting them to eat proper food. I may try cultivating a fear of potato-based snacks. Wonder if I can terrify them with sugar too? "Woooo!!!! Starburst!!!!"

Skweeky
02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Avocado yesterday. He loved it! Tried apple today. Not as popular as banana and avocado, but still in the liking range.
Sweet potato tomorrow I reckon.

100%
02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
try mushied; potatoe + egg + carrot

JPaul
02-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Do no such thing. Feeding eggs to young children, for fuck sake man get a grip of yourself. Yolks in 6 or 7 months maybe, whites a few months after that. If you feel so inclined.

Ignore everything ziggy says from now on skweeky. Consider putting him on ignore just to be safe.

JPaul
02-26-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm glad the we man liked the avocado, clearly a potential hoops wearer.

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/files/web/recipes/avocado-puree.jpg

Avocados are sometimes thought of as a vegetable but they are actually a fruit and contain more nutrients than any other fruit - perfect for weaning baby. They are also rich in monounsaturated fat, the ‘good type’ of fat which helps prevent heart disease. The high calorie content of avocado makes it a good food for growing babies. Avocado is a great source of the free radical fighting antioxidant vitamin E, which also boosts the immune system. Avocado is easy to digest.

Cut a small avocado in half, remove the stone, scoop out the flesh and mash together with a little of your baby’s usual milk.

Skweeky
02-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah I knew about the eggs. It's a bit early to start mixing foods yet. I'm just going to introduce all the things seperately and then in a month or so I'll start making him proper meals.
So yeah, the avocado was a massive hit. He had a quarter of an avocado mixed with breastmilk, quite a lot for a wee man really. Well, I say wee... he's 17lbs now and in 6-9 months clothes because his legs are so long.

Loving every single minute of it though. Every night after I put him to bed I feel like I accomplished something really good. I love being a mum :D

JPaul
02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah I knew about the eggs. It's a bit early to start mixing foods yet. I'm just going to introduce all the things seperately and then in a month or so I'll start making him proper meals.
So yeah, the avocado was a massive hit. He had a quarter of an avocado mixed with breastmilk, quite a lot for a wee man really. Well, I say wee... he's 17lbs now and in 6-9 months clothes because his legs are so long.

Loving every single minute of it though. Every night after I put him to bed I feel like I accomplished something really good. I love being a mum :D

It sounds to me like you're a natural, pal. Was there ever any doubt.

He's a lucky wee blighter.

I can't remember if you are a vegetablist, I don't think so but you never know nowadays. Some perfectly reasonable people are at it.

Skweeky
02-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Naw, I don't eat much meat and I prefer to eat tofu and veggie stuff but it's just out of preference not because I don't want to eat it.

Oh, on a completely different note. Do you own any shares? And if yes, can you recommend a decent trading account? I was looking at the HSBC one but I'm not sure if it would be a better idea to go with a proper stockbroker.

JPaul
02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Naw, I don't eat much meat and I prefer to eat tofu and veggie stuff but it's just out of preference not because I don't want to eat it.

Oh, on a completely different note. Do you own any shares? And if yes, can you recommend a decent trading account? I was looking at the HSBC one but I'm not sure if it would be a better idea to go with a proper stockbroker.

No knowledge of the subject at all, Pal.

I'd only be guessing. Les or the late manker may be able to help tho' I haven't seen either about in an age.

Are you specifically interested in shares or do you have money to invest. I'm told that the ISA is a good thing to do with spare cash because of the tax situation.

This is a good site for all things money related http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Here's a thing on ISAs for example, to give you a feel. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa

100%
02-26-2009, 09:08 PM
ok i just did a read up, your right about the egg thing for babies under six months.
It seems to be an allergenic food, like peanuts, specifically if it runs in the family.
My bad.
Never heard of the yolk vs egg white thing though.

Skweeky
02-26-2009, 09:32 PM
I was thinking RBS shares, I've already got some stuff in ISA's.

I shall track down Les and bother him.

JPaul
02-26-2009, 09:34 PM
I was thinking RBS shares, I've already got some stuff in ISA's.

I shall track down Les and bother him.

I suspect their price is as low as it's going to get after announcing the £24,000,000,000 losses earlier today. It might just be the right time to get in there.

Skweeky
02-26-2009, 09:36 PM
My thoughts exactly. I've been thinking about it for a while but I think this is the moment.

JPaul
02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
I see your subtle ploy to get in touch with him :glag:

It's so cunning it can't fail.

Skweeky
02-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Maybe I should get it announced in Central Station tomorrow morning. He can't miss that. Or publish it in the Metro.

JPaul
02-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Maybe I should get it announced in Central Station tomorrow morning. He can't miss that. Or publish it in the Metro.

I see Les as more or a Graudian man.

Skweeky
02-27-2009, 03:17 PM
He takes the train. He HAS to read the Metro.

Proper Bo
02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
He probably buys a copy everyday.

Skweeky
02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
He seems like the type who would leave 20p for it.

Rat Faced
02-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Do no such thing. Feeding eggs to young children, for fuck sake man get a grip of yourself. Yolks in 6 or 7 months maybe, whites a few months after that. If you feel so inclined.

Ignore everything ziggy says from now on skweeky. Consider putting him on ignore just to be safe.

He's a Scot ffs, and his moms Belgian.

He's obviously ready for a choclate covered fry up.

Rat Faced
02-27-2009, 08:22 PM
I know someone that bought £5000 worth of Northern Rock shares just before they were nationalised.. 'nuff said.

JPaul
02-27-2009, 08:51 PM

He's a Scot ffs, and his moms Belgian.

He's obviously ready for a choclate covered fry up.

Only if the "fry up" is deep fried, in batter then covered in the chocolate.

What you were suggesting was practically a continental breakfast.

Rat Faced
02-27-2009, 08:54 PM
I was thinking of a Full Scottish Breakfast liquidated and dipped in choc..

Alternatively, the Deep Fried Mars Bar looks appetising

Skweeky
02-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Mmm, I could go a pain au chocolat maintenant

JPaul
02-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Mmm, I could go a pain au chocolat maintenant

May we.