PDA

View Full Version : How Do Webhosts Work?

netweiser (old)
09-17-2003, 06:57 PM
i wanna know what OS they use, how they are connected to the web, server CPU speeds, harddrives for servers, how they pay for bandwidth, what 1 server can hold. EVERYTHIN. sum1 smart plez elp! :o

J'Pol
09-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Who hosts www.netweiser.com

netweiser (old)
09-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@17 September 2003 - 19:05
y? lol sorry im nosey, ill tell ya if u tell me why u wanna know ;)

J'Pol
09-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by netweiser+17 September 2003 - 20:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (netweiser @ 17 September 2003 - 20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@17 September 2003 - 19:05
y? lol sorry im nosey, ill tell ya if u tell me why u wanna know ;) [/b][/quote]
Just wondering why you didn&#39;t ask the person who was hosting your site to explain these things. They will obviously know.

Oh and it&#39;s a nice site btw. I am downloading the games etc just now, I like those sorts of things - cheers.

TheMusicMan
09-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by netweiser@17 September 2003 - 19:57
i wanna know what OS they use, how they are connected to the web, server CPU speeds, harddrives for servers, how they pay for bandwidth, what 1 server can hold. EVERYTHIN. sum1 smart plez elp&#33; :o
90 % of all hosters use linux distributions like Redhat Linux etc. About the server - it always depends what you need and how much visitors you expect.

If you have for example 512 unique visitors online at once you need at least a 1.3 GHz machine (higher is strongly suggested) and 1 GB ram or more. (Else your webserver wil just crash down after 10 seconds :)

About what a server can hold depends again on how much users you serve (online at once) plus what kind of sites you host.

If you host people with a "normal" homepage then you can host more or less 100 sites on a server. If you use PHP / mySQL etc for forums or other things which consume a lot of resources then you can maybe host 2 sites on a server.

Its generally hard to say "How much" people you can host.

The most important thing is the server connection - meaning you need at least some MBit to be able to offer reliable hosting.

I did see many things in my life (like people which think that they can host a server with their home cable / dsl) and believe me that doesn&#39;t work :)

To see how people are connected you can simply traceroute them to learn more about their connection to the net. Maybe your host ipowerweb has some info his site which explains it better :)

Regards

Darker