PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2003 Datacenter Edition

shn
09-17-2003, 08:20 PM
I just got lucky and downloaded windows 2003 datacenter edition. Its the best of all windows 2003 server o.s. based on scalability. Its mostly used for really really big servers but I have an alienware mj-12 that I want to try it on before I install windows 2000 advanced server.

Anyway I was wondering do I need a datacenter serial or can I just use a windows 2003 server product key?

I cant find a datacenter key anywhere thats why I thought it might take a windows 2003 server key.

This is not a request I just want to know if I need an actual key specifically for datacenter.

Thanks

shn
09-17-2003, 10:34 PM
bump

4play
09-17-2003, 10:44 PM
my guess would be that this does not even need a serial since most corporate edition of programs dont.

the only way is to test it i suppose

i though you were a linux guru not a windows user.

shn
09-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by 4play@17 September 2003 - 16:44
my guess would be that this does not even need a serial since most corporate edition of programs dont.

the only way is to test it i suppose

i though you were a linux guru not a windows user.
I use linux as my primary o.s.. But I have more than one pc so I can pretty much experiment with a lot of other o.s..

I tried to install it and it does need a serial. I really wanted to try out datacenter but if I dont find a serial then Ill just install the 2000 advanced server that balamm gave me.

balamm
09-17-2003, 11:52 PM
datacenter is pretty rare. You could try a beta key for enterprise and see if that works, then use a trial extender on it. The OOBE isn't hard to crack but you do have to get it installed first.
Unless it's just for personal curiosity, I wouldn't bother with data center. You can do almost anything it can do in windows 2000 servers with a few addons and you won't have as many restrictions, driver problems, etc.

james_bond_rulez
09-18-2003, 01:50 AM
why do you need the datacenter? do you have the hardware to run it?

datacenter is for faster servers with at least 2 cpu's

if your computer isn't that fast I'd suggest win2k advanced server is enough

shn
09-18-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@17 September 2003 - 19:50
why do you need the datacenter? do you have the hardware to run it?

datacenter is for faster servers with at least 2 cpu's

if your computer isn't that fast I'd suggest win2k advanced server is enough
My alienware mj-12 has dual xeons and 3 gigs of ram. It used to run Red hat linux advanced server until someone convinced me to try a windows server o.s.. If that doesnt work out Ill probably just put red hat back on considering as how I backed the whole thing up.

Even with those specs datacenter is used to handling way more powerful machines than that. According to the liscensing, you have to have a minimum of 4 processors on the machine that your liscensing. I never give a crap about the liscensing because I generally only use windows for local testing and experimental purposes.

james_bond_rulez
09-18-2003, 02:10 AM
alien ware eh?

never heard of it...

but I guess if you have the proper drivers for windows datacenter you'd probably be ok to run it.

how much did you pay for that machine of yours?

i've been trying to get a good deal on servers and i've looked on ebay with no luck...

shn
09-18-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@17 September 2003 - 20:10
alien ware eh?

never heard of it...

but I guess if you have the proper drivers for windows datacenter you'd probably be ok to run it.

how much did you pay for that machine of yours?

i've been trying to get a good deal on servers and i've looked on ebay with no luck...
I paid a little under 6,000 dollars for this particular machine. I dont know how much they cost if you buy them as is without customization, probably anywhere from 3 to 4 thousand. I actually have 2 alienware computers. I bought the mj-12 with credit cards that I received when I enrolled in college as a freshman as well as a couple thousand of my trust fund money. My area 51 laptop was given to me on my birthday by my father. I believe he bought that as is without customizing it and just standard specs (doesnt know much about computers). But it still runs at peak performance when Im mobile. Then I have an hp box but I hardly ever use that. My roomate is on it 27/7, about ready to just give it to her. <_<

sparsely
09-18-2003, 02:46 AM
I&#39;ll PM you with a serial from the .nfo file of the ShareReactor Release (which is probably where yours
came from originally).

Alienware makes some nice looking, high-end machines. I&#39;ve never used one myself, but what I&#39;ve read
of them and seen they sound powerful enough...

BTW: The .nfo file also said

Originally posted by HFiSO
This bitch cost &#036;29500

:blink: :blink:

shn
09-18-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely+17 September 2003 - 20:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparsely @ 17 September 2003 - 20:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I&#39;ll PM you with a serial from the .nfo file of the ShareReactor Release (which is probably where yours
came from originally).

Alienware makes some nice looking, high-end machines. I&#39;ve never used one myself, but what I&#39;ve read
of them and seen they sound powerful enough...

BTW: The .nfo file also said
<!--QuoteBegin-HFiSO
This bitch cost &#036;29500

:blink: :blink: [/b][/quote]
Indeed that probably was the price. I went to microsofts site and they listed all the prices for their server o.s. except datacenter. As a matter of fact, microsoft actually prefers that you get it from a certified OEM manufacturer, they basically want you to get it with the datacenter already installed on a server you buy from an OEM manufacturer that way there is a less chance of incompatibilities with the drivers etc. And they can still milk you on the liscensing.

I guess its one of those: "If you have to ask how much it cost then you cant afford it type deals................lol"

james_bond_rulez
09-18-2003, 04:10 AM
holy shit man 6 grands?

man you sure make some huge investments on computers.

i&#39;ve probably spend 6-7 grand on all of my computers, 5 computers actually, including this one i am using (amd athlon xp 2200+). and 3 of them are getting outdated and I am NOT using my first computer at all (a 486 computer).

I have no idea you have to spend so much on a high end computer. my budget is about 1 grand, 1.5 tops on a server I am looking for right now. I&#39;ve looked on ebay but there isn&#39;t much you can do with that kind of budget anyways.

man you sure had a lot of doug as a student, I am working part time plus the money I make on the web are just about enough to cover my tuition and books and whatnot. little left for computers...

james_bond_rulez
09-18-2003, 11:03 AM
I just did an inventory of all my equipments and the total came down to about 5 grands (based on the last 3 computers I bought)

and this included everything, including monitors, network shit and upgrades...

anyways...

james_bond_rulez
09-18-2003, 11:06 AM
I just had to say that I feel sorry for the software company.

All my money I spent I spent on hardware, well except the windows 2000 pro my dad forced me to buy, said it&#39;s safer to do online banking if you used a legit os (but I thought he had too much to spend, actually)

if you think about it, all the hardware you buy is actually free if you download all the software you get on the internet.

but then again the computer economy doesn&#39;t work that way... :D

james_bond_rulez
09-18-2003, 10:59 PM
so that&#39;s my two cents anyways

sparsely
09-19-2003, 12:47 AM
^ post whore <_<

james_bond_rulez
09-19-2003, 12:53 AM
;D

shn
09-19-2003, 01:13 AM