PDA

View Full Version : bittorrent vs. fxp scene

Polarbear
02-23-2009, 04:37 AM
a few years ago it took a while until scene releases were spread to bittorrent and p2p.

fxp boards got them earlier than bittorrent trackers.

nowadays bittorrent trackers get the stuff seconds or minutes after pre. if you're just an enduser of the releases and not a scanner, haxxor or filler looking for respect and the next stro, i can't see any great advantage of fxp boards anymore.

what do you think? are scene trackers enough for you or would you die for a membership on an fxp board?

ben99
02-23-2009, 04:41 AM
the work that it takes to be part of an fxp board and how frequently their stros get taken down make it not worthwhile for me. Especially with how easy it is to get releases nowadays with bittorrent.

Adam1990
02-23-2009, 04:52 AM
I am on an fxp board. Its nothing special I like the torrent system much more.

02-23-2009, 07:03 AM
fxp board ?! , scene trackers is enough for me

Funkin'
02-23-2009, 07:14 AM
No, one 0day tracker is more than enough for me.

droste
02-23-2009, 09:04 AM
fxp boards got them earlier than bittorrent trackers.orly? :d

horiZen
02-23-2009, 09:32 AM
much prefer bt over scene fxp

btw,,interesting thread/topic Polarbear :)

Polarbear
02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
it's not like you can just leech from the servers in fxp. there's a ratio system as well. to get access a scanner has to scan a certain amount of servers per month, a haxxor needs to hack a minimum of servers, and a filler has the duty to flash warez to the server.

in the fxp scene warez are just distributed but not released. this mass distribution attracts the attention of the copyright owners and law enforcment authorities. their investigations are often directed to the release groups then (one of the reasons why the release scene doesn't really like fxp and hates p2p).

the usage of external ftp servers creates an enormous transfer of data. many institutions pay for their fast severs per transfered data volume. the misusage can result in very high costs. also fxp filler often secure their files very clever aganist deletion. the owner may not be able to clean his own server.

this involves a legal risk. every penetration into a server leaves digital traces, which makes life in the fxp scene a little dangerous.

fxp kids who just follow their thrilling and addicting online hobby can quickly be charged with computer sabotage, change of sensible data and of course copyright violations.

you'll have to take a lot more precautions, wear your tinfoil hat all the time and mask your ip address everytime you surf the net.

if your goal is to become part of the scene, an fxp reputation might be a good start. the release and fxp scene are connected and overlap here and there.

bittorrent is much easier. you're one of millions other p2p users and if you're a member of a good scene tracker you'll probably get the same files at the same time without all the hassle.

of course every fxp fanatic who reads this will tell me to shut the fuck up because i'm just a lame p2p user and not l33t at all.

fact is they leech warez from the release scene exactly like we do. it's just another distribution system. they may get more files, but not faster anymore. too bad. :P

Gheyness
02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
http://starbug-one.info/torrents/the-scene-vs-private-torrents-trackers/ found this and have to agree with what it says.

t's not like you can just leech from the servers in fxp. there's a ratio system as well. to get access a scanner has to scan a certain amount of servers per month, a haxxor needs to hack a minimum of servers, and a filler has the duty to flash warez to the server.

in the fxp scene warez are just distributed but not released. this mass distribution attracts the attention of the copyright owners and law enforcment authorities. their investigations are often directed to the release groups then (one of the reasons why the release scene doesn't really like fxp and hates p2p).

the usage of external ftp servers creates an enormous transfer of data. many institutions pay for their fast severs per transfered data volume. the misusage can result in very high costs. also fxp filler often secure their files very clever aganist deletion. the owner may not be able to clean his own server.

this involves a legal risk. every penetration into a server leaves digital traces, which makes life in the fxp scene a little dangerous.

fxp kids who just follow their thrilling and addicting online hobby can quickly be charged with computer sabotage, change of sensible data and of course copyright violations.

you'll have to take a lot more precautions, wear your tinfoil hat all the time and mask your ip address everytime you surf the net.

if your goal is to become part of the scene, an fxp reputation might be a good start. the release and fxp scene are connected and overlap here and there.

bittorrent is much easier. you're one of millions other p2p users and if you're a member of a good scene tracker you'll probably get the same files at the same time without all the hassle.

of course every fxp fanatic who reads this will tell me to shut the fuck up because i'm just a lame p2p user and not l33t at all.

fact is they leech warez from the release scene exactly like we do. it's just another distribution system. they may get more files, but not faster anymore. too bad

Your attempt at acting like a scene whore has failed. A hax0r (Thats how those eveil haquers spell it) doesn't need to hack servers any more, been a while since the topsites used those. Any system an "institutions" has would be bypassed since they got root! Your info is based on very old info. By the way "computer sabotage" is not an offical charge anywhere. Less of you please.

No they won't tell you to shut the fuck up, they will say shut the fuck up you stupid ass bitch. Because your shit ain't correct.

droste
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
it's not like you can just leech from the servers in fxp. there's a ratio system as well. to get access a scanner has to scan a certain amount of servers per month, a haxxor needs to hack a minimum of servers, and a filler has the duty to flash warez to the server.

fact is they leech warez from the release scene exactly like we do. it's just another distribution system. they may get more files, but not faster anymore. too bad. :P
its not abt l33tness man, maybe is 4 some kids but after all its abt security N U should now that ;) p2p is secureity whole for fxp sites cuz we spread their material N make em more wanted :01:

Gheyness
02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Security? Explain why they all get owned? They don't know jack shit except what they read off 31337 pages of ub3r l33t hax0rs.

Less of you aswell.

Albo Da Kid
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Polarbear you need to come up with some new material. These kind renewed topics which have been talked about over and over, are getting a little old.
I have some new exciting stuff for you. I'll drop it in a pm and you can maybe do something with it. If you're busy I'll go ahead and open the topic myself, but I feel this kind of discussion suits you more.

droste
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Security? Explain why they all get owned? They don't know jack shit except what they read off 31337 pages of ub3r l33t hax0rs.

Less of you aswell.fatality man, fatality... ;)

DanielleD87
02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
@Polarbear
you're making a post if bt is better in a bt forum. of course you will get biased and inaccurate results like,
http://starbug-one.info/torrents/the-scene-vs-private-torrents-trackers/ found this and have to agree with what it says.

I tend to think of the old school fxp boards and pubs as nearly the same thing. Newer day forums tend to be all rapid share and what not which is even worse imho. I prefer trackers or I wouldn't use them but back in the day if you didn't want much responsibility and you wanted to download 'warez' pubs was a kick ass relaxed way to do it. Now today I guess rapid share is the new pubs and fxp boards in general are near pointless to an extent. However, they wouldn't exist today if they are not needed. And sure they are rarer today because of p2p and direct download boards and ... but it still has its advantages.

The only real advantage when it comes to fxp boards imho is knowing people who can root and root well. It takes years to find good people but when you do such expertise can help when you want to get back at that asshole on such-en-such forum cuz he called you a script kiddy or stealing credit card numbers or :whistling:

I would say fxp board are more about meeting the people than the actual piracy. It is about the puzzle of getting into a box and that skill can be fun. I also think fxp boards have always been this way and that is why they refuse to die.

Now pubs in general I honestly don't even know anyone who does this any more but basically you can scan yourself and find rooted boxes from random fxp boards you're not associated with. Of time with enough scanning there will be some boxes that stay up 3 or 4 years even and keep getting fresh material. Eventually there are enough pubs were downloading is quite relaxing. However, I don't know of anyone who does this any more because of rapid share. It seems like direct download via http instead of ftp is more popular these days.

Also, back in the 90s the fxp boards would blend in sometimes with topsites. I don't see this any more either. Today asking if a site is legit would probably make the siteop wonder wtf is wrong with you but back in the 90s a good number of sites where not legit (edu topsites mainly). Remember the difference between a pub or a dump (fxp boards make) and a topsite is one is just ftp and another is tied to IRC with updating info for potential scripting. Because of this the two can blend and some fxp boards use to be tied to rings in the past.

magushun
02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
if its the usual 0day bullshit you can reach on the fxp boards, why would anybody need it. torrenting's beauty isnt in the pretimes, nor in the scene trackers. Have to admit its nice to be a member on scene trackers, but I could get those releases 5 years ago as well, before torrenting. But rare content is above all of these scene bullshit

NippleCake
02-24-2009, 02:43 PM
a few years ago it took a while until scene releases were spread to bittorrent and p2p.

fxp boards got them earlier than bittorrent trackers.

nowadays bittorrent trackers get the stuff seconds or minutes after pre. if you're just an enduser of the releases and not a scanner, haxxor or filler looking for respect and the next stro, i can't see any great advantage of fxp boards anymore.

what do you think? are scene trackers enough for you or would you die for a membership on an fxp board?

having been on a fair few fxp boards, i really dont see the point. Bittorrent is far simpler, and less of a hassle. Plus you can count on a torrent on a tracker lasting a lot longer than one from a hacked server. I also think security is becoming a lot better on the internet so scanning/hacking the servers is more of a risky business and the servers last shorter than they used to.

forthat
02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
P2P works on torrents where they can be done from homes unlike the FXp the main point that we are missing was the sharing with fun i haven't seen anything like that in Fxp boards ....
more over the point the Fxp works on the server levels but will not work in the home user levels not many people have much internet speeds to their houses....more over bittorrent is much greater protocol that FXp if we see in technical comparisons .... the UDP and checksum of the every bit it got ......what more u want.....the realibility

and now a days the IRC of the trackers are damm active and got their own Irc servers..i don;t think Fxp boards are that much active .i never been in FXp boards personally

The_Martinator
02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
My ambitions aren't to become a scene member. The closest I'll ever be getting is a very rare BT site (if that).

I download stuff and watch/listen/use it. While I'm doing that, I share it with others. I'm not an uploader, a movie or music ripper or a hacker or anyone with talents that could help the scene. I'm just someone who finds prices of most digital media way too high atm.

So, bittorrent for me.

UnGodly
02-25-2009, 02:00 AM
torrenting is more enjoyable imo

Sylar666
02-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Bittorrents suffice. FXP Boards require full dedication and awful lot of time. Stress factor's enormously high as well. Been there, seen that, done that - I take torrenting as it is nowadays - a fascinating, enjoyable hobby. Stick around, and have fun downloading and sharing. Came to a point where I don't have to worry about ratios anymore: I download what i want and when i want. I worked hard for this kinda freedom. BTW both are addictive. :)

RedRansom
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
fxp = cost afaik and as you said before i wont pay for pirating lol :P

Tokeman
02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Internet access costs money
If you have slow internet, you might consider a seedbox, that costs money too
And if you can accept that, why not accept paying for newsgroups, which would allow you to download full speed (that you pay for) all the time

Everyone pays to some degree for filesharing, through service contracts, donations, access, or programs.

Hell, even before the internet, trading discs costed for the media.

D1zkK1ll
02-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Polebear, I think your place is BT.
well, you tried to compare a scene tracker (Scenetorrents,Sceneacces...) with a FXP Board. The "pre times" a mostly the same... because FXP (really good ones where you can only join with a skill!!! no selling accounts!!!) has members with a AT and the scene trackers have a upload script.. and similar the same source.
the only thing is that private fxp boards are more secure. ;=}

well, try it out and feel the speed of ftp sources but please never never support pay to leech!!

no_bother
02-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I have alot of free time, probably too much for an engineering student. I could do witha new hobby..... Id probably gor for a FXP board if I knew how.

harshytkage
02-25-2009, 07:38 PM
wow...these kind of threads make me feel like a noob at filesharing...my piracy knowledge still hovers around bittorrent though...BT FTW!

CaliPirate
02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
What are some of the good scene trackers out there?

Rpcry
02-25-2009, 10:53 PM
I havent been on a FXP board for a long time but i remember they were time expensive, i spended more time checking the scanstros than downloading shit. Instead of that with torrents you just have to check your favorite tracker and get what you want. Also, torrents give you a lot of options to choose, you can be a leech or good user, you can get involve on the communite or not, and you can be a forum whore, an irc whore or both :P, torrents let you be yourself. In therms of pre speeds they are almost the same, maybe a few seconds waisted making the torrents but the principle is the same: top site ---> fxp board race server ---> board; top site ---> bittorrent fxp server ---> tracker. What have changed is that bit torrent has climbed the chain almost to the top, before it was top site ---> fxp board, pub, irc or kazaa :P---> torrent server ---> torrent tracker. Also Bit torrent has advantages on the download speeds. When you are downloading from an ftp server you better have good rooting, from a torrent there are so many seeds that speed will be always maxed out (on good trackers)

ban
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
0day trackers are more than enough for me

TAT
02-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Polebear, I think your place is BT.
well, you tried to compare a scene tracker (Scenetorrents,Sceneacces...) with a FXP Board. The "pre times" a mostly the same... because FXP (really good ones where you can only join with a skill!!! no selling accounts!!!) has members with a AT and the scene trackers have a upload script.. and similar the same source.
the only thing is that private fxp boards are more secure. ;=}

well, try it out and feel the speed of ftp sources but please never never support pay to leech!!

right.

@Polebear

I have both and better sources. :w00t:
without a good skill you can't join this fxp boards..
I'm member of a fxp board which has only 50 members and we have all releases after some seconds. Sure ScT or an other scene tracker have very fast a release but they have more members and everyone knows ScT -> more insecure

well, real ftp sites are the best. it's an other league. :D

just stay put :P

Bone.W.Machine
02-27-2009, 12:59 AM
fxp = cost afaik and as you said before i wont pay for pirating lol :P
why would fxp:ing cost? :lol:
Sure you can pay for it, but there are also servers where you can do this kind of business for free.

DanielleD87
02-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Internet access costs money
If you have slow internet, you might consider a seedbox, that costs money too
And if you can accept that, why not accept paying for newsgroups, which would allow you to download full speed (that you pay for) all the time

Everyone pays to some degree for filesharing, through service contracts, donations, access, or programs.

Hell, even before the internet, trading discs costed for the media.
i refuse! i don't pay a penny! heck, i don't even pay for my internet connection.

fuck that :rolleyes:

iLOVENZB
02-27-2009, 10:25 AM
I would die for a FXP board, mainly because of security, but that'll never happen so i'll stick with Usenet or the brief Private Tracker.

DV8type
02-27-2009, 09:21 PM
many people here are confusing a topsite with a fxpboard they are not the same. They are 2 different worlds. read:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-bittorrent-vs-fxp-scene-post3145204/postcount14

DanielleD87 breaks it down right.

Lew
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
yea many indeed mix them....