PDA

View Full Version : cultural differences on trackers

Lew
02-24-2009, 04:22 AM
most of the sites i'm a member of offer content, that is influenced or produced by the north american or west european culture.

80% of the content is mainstream american or european cinema, music or video games.

i noticed, that many people from totally different cultures and countries die to get on that trackers.

is it because it's their only chance to watch western media, which is not broadcasted in their country?

or is it the thrill to join a community that is totally different from their own real life and the social and religious circumstances they live in?

i guess it must be a culture shock for a 16yo arabian muslim to read and see a "official want to rape chicks" thread in a tracker forum.

on the other hand there seems to be a certain fascination even in the anti-american fundamentalist cultures for western life-style and media.

why do western trackers attract so many different cultures?

Lovestoned
02-24-2009, 06:13 AM
English is a language used by the globe, that's why.

Domination by Northern America over media since they're (or were) very influential.

And also, most scene stuffs are usually western too.

stoi
02-24-2009, 06:30 AM
I think you will find that the British ruled 1/2 to 3/4 of the globe a couple of hundred years ago, hence why English (not American) is spoken all over the world, yes even in America.

I can understand someone in China/India/Middle East etc joining an English site, because most things are in the English Language, and are done by American/British or at least European countries.

But it works the other way as well, a lot of westerners, like Anime or Japanese games/movies that you just cant get in the west, unless you buy via importing them.

What i dont really understand is, Western members that can only speak English say, joining Romanian/Russian/Nordic trackers where all the info on the site, if not the complete site is in the trackers local language and they ask on here what shit means on those trackers, and when the content of those trackers, are mainly Nordic/Russian language.

Polarbear
02-24-2009, 07:46 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-cultural-differences-trackers-259686
:frusty:

care to learn how to write yourself next time?

the forum is called filesharing not postsharing.

BlackKnight
02-24-2009, 07:55 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-cultural-differences-trackers-259686
:frusty:

care to learn how to write yourself next time?

the forum is called filesharing not postsharing.

I loled so hard :D

about the topic, I found it was very interesting when I first know about xxx section at trackers (I can see they are all the same now), but it wasn't enough to be a cultural shock.

redMonster
02-24-2009, 08:29 AM
I think you will find that the British ruled 1/2 to 3/4 of the globe a couple of hundred years ago, hence why English (not American) is spoken all over the world, yes even in America.True. It is because English is spoken in many countries all over the world and the fact that US media is a very dominating industry.