PDA

View Full Version : What makes a tracker a community tracker?

Lew
02-28-2009, 01:04 PM
What makes a tracker a community tracker?

merwais
02-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Forums !

Rikikii
02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
1337 members.

Swift
02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm interested in seeing some asnwers about this question . Good thread btw.

I don't think in internet community's just people most of them don't even know each other personally and they share knowledge.

Lew
02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
thanks Naix

mrnobody
02-28-2009, 02:29 PM
anything except...

torrent sites where forum/irc is used more than tracker...coz then it's a 'tracker based forum'.

every other tracker has a community imo, that including places like ScT (the forum has a niche circle of hot headed folks lul), BCG, FSC, demonoid etc etc.

BUT for some weird reason the less user base is the stronger the community is said to be. Smaller trackers tend to have less forum/irc activity than the bigger ones but i guess the fact that small tracker size allows almost all members to know each other makes it a tighter community.

it's similar to irl communities. If less people are involved in something it's usually called 'community', like in the village side where there are less number of people the term 'community' is often thrown out. Or, if few people of same nationality are living in a foriegn country they often refer themselves as '<inserttheirnationality> community'. Another example would be group of minorities like 'LGBT community', 'community of Jazz musicans' etc.

0Ri0N
02-28-2009, 02:51 PM
pseudo elitism! lolz

alcoholik
02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
good seeders and nice forums :)

The_Martinator
02-28-2009, 04:24 PM
squirr3l pretty much summed it up.

It's different for some people than others. Some people think ScL is great not because of their forums, but because of their IRC channel. I don't use IRC much so I can't talk about.

The fact reamains, that if a tracker has a small userbase, people know each other better.

Imo one of the best communities is A-L.

Albo Da Kid
02-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I am not even interested to know what makes up a community tracker any more.

What I wnt to know is why was Lew banned. I bet he tried pulling off another Basilhaydens stunt

Time-Traveller
02-28-2009, 04:30 PM
My definition of a community tracker is one where interaction between members is >= the availble content.

Dolphin
02-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Isn't it Obvious! There are alot of answers too that question and i'm only gonna tell those that come into my mind.

Either the tracker is a specificated tracker, for example, the tracker is a movie tracker or a music tracker, (then if the tracker is any good people on it wants to be in the forums)

Or, some trackers have so that u have to be active in the forum/irc to even stay on the tracker (a few 1337 trackers), kinda lame but it works!

Well.. mostly 1337 trackers have a nice community and thats because mostly of the members are 1337.

redMonster
02-28-2009, 04:49 PM

What I wnt to know is why was Lew banned. I bet he tried pulling off another Basilhaydens stuntWho is Basilhaydens? The only reason that comes to my mind is mindless spamming/posting.

Albo Da Kid
02-28-2009, 04:52 PM
^someone that had 20+ accounts, a big time trader and possibly a scammer also.

NinjaX
02-28-2009, 04:58 PM

What I wnt to know is why was Lew banned. I bet he tried pulling off another Basilhaydens stunt

Just a quick guess, hes probably banned for spam:

http://i40.tinypic.com/jtv2g7.png

:whistling

Now lets get back on track..

Sonnentier
02-28-2009, 04:59 PM
What makes a tracker a community tracker?
not only tracking torrents, but having a portal with members, shoutbox etc.

pseudo elitism! lolz
:yup:

mrnobody
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Or, some trackers have so that u have to be active in the forum/irc to even stay on the tracker (a few 1337 trackers), kinda lame but it works!

what tracker bans user for not using forum/irc? :ermm:

i have seen people getting banned for not using tracker but i have yet to see a ban for not participating in forum/irc.

as long as you use tracker, you should be fine. forum/irc are meant (and IS) a plus. torrentz should be (and IS) the priority.

The_Martinator
03-01-2009, 09:39 AM

i have seen people getting banned for not using tracker but i have yet to see a ban for not participating in forum/irc.

as long as you use tracker, you should be fine. forum/irc are meant (and IS) a plus. torrentz should be (and IS) the priority.

I think I once heard a user being banned at PTN because he never or very rarely used the forums. I'm not sure if it's true, just telling you what I read...

DanielleD87
03-01-2009, 09:49 AM
the name says it:
a community tracker is a tracker with a good community.

Funkin'
03-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Well.. mostly 1337 trackers have a nice community and thats because mostly of the members are 1337.

I believe that's a general misconception. I think the forums on some of these "lower level" trackers blow away the forums on these so-called 1337 trackers.

Take IPT for example. A tracker that does not have a reputation for a good community, just great content. But the forums are much more active, there's more meaningful topics, and I see much less useless spam than some of these two, three, or four thousand memberbase, 1337 trackers. I'd rather spend time in forums like IPT's having actual discussions on just about anything, than rating the avatar above me or posting if I would hit that milf, at some of the forums that have actually been hyped for their communities.

I'm not saying all the so-called 1337 trackers have over hyped communities(because I'm part of two that are actually pretty great), but most of the ones I've came across are. In my humble opinion at least.

Bone.W.Machine
03-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Skittles maybe? I don't know.

Isn't it Obvious! There are alot of answers too that question and i'm only gonna tell those that come into my mind.

Either the tracker is a specificated tracker, for example, the tracker is a movie tracker or a music tracker, (then if the tracker is any good people on it wants to be in the forums)

Well.. mostly 1337 trackers have a nice community and thats because mostly of the members are 1337.It's funny that 'n00bs' often use the term '1337' :lol:

A community tracker is a tracker with a tight userbase :)

flashback3r
03-01-2009, 10:37 AM
the name says it:

yup, and i think that means when the members care about the site. They are helpful and are active and such.

Swift
03-01-2009, 10:55 AM
the name says it:

yup, and i think that means when the members care about the site. They are helpful and are active and such.

http://home2.owc.net/~mojow/civic/pics/expressions/CaptainObvious.jpg

smart conclusion

kallieb
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Aside from the comments above, a few thoughts I have on what makes a decent community tracker is one where:

On the tracker side:

The last seeder doesn't bail while someone's leeching;
Requests are filled at a reasonable speed;
People seed back 1:1 or at least for the time limit indicated in the rules;
Torrents are complete, re-seed requests are met, and nukes are kept to a minimum and flagged promptly as such
Members actually post thanks to uploaders and keep their bitching to a minimum;

On the forum side:

There's a varied help section that is actually helpful
Interesting convo happens beyond "+1" and "me too"
There's no invite-request section, as one isn't needed ;)

Swift
03-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Aside from the comments above, a few thoughts I have on what makes a decent community tracker is one where:

On the tracker side:

Torrents are complete, re-seed requests are met, and nukes are kept to a minimum and flagged promptly as such

On the forum side:

one tracker comes in my mind when you say this things and it's F*C

aly13
03-03-2009, 06:56 PM
good seeders and very good forums,active users,many friends,very good staff...

Dolphin
03-03-2009, 07:06 PM

I believe that's a general misconception. I think the forums on some of these "lower level" trackers blow away the forums on these so-called 1337 trackers.

Take IPT for example. A tracker that does not have a reputation for a good community, just great content. But the forums are much more active, there's more meaningful topics, and I see much less useless spam than some of these two, three, or four thousand memberbase, 1337 trackers. I'd rather spend time in forums like IPT's having actual discussions on just about anything, than rating the avatar above me or posting if I would hit that milf, at some of the forums that have actually been hyped for their communities.

I'm not saying all the so-called 1337 trackers have over hyped communities(because I'm part of two that are actually pretty great), but most of the ones I've came across are. In my humble opinion at least.

Thats one of the smartest comments i've read in a loooong time!

DV8type
03-03-2009, 07:57 PM

On the tracker side:

On the forum side:

:yup:
Very well said

Add: A place where members can feel at home and speak there mind, without fear of threats

bilkenter
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Honestly there are too many dimensions in this issue, yet for me the most important one is that they dont delete you even if u dont log in for a year...it doesnt matter how much buffer u have, if they dont ban ya for a long time then that is community for me, i have a friend who has fsc account, and had 350 mb upload, his account hasnt been online for a year, and his account isnt deleted... on the other hand, i had a 1.5 tb buffer in tl, i was very active in irc et cetera, at first it seems awesome place to be till u get backstabbed, i informed admins of my pcs current state (it was in hp service because it was broken) they sent it back but had problem it was freezing) anyway sent it back again, i didnt log in for about 60 days, and they deleted my account, i know there is great deal of people who wants to join sites, yet this doesnt justify the attitude that they have against users... so community means caring sharing not when u are actually active but when u are not active...