PDA

View Full Version : My computer just went tits up

Skiz
03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't know what's going on. I uninstalled a utility I haven't used in a while and rebooted afterwards. When my pc came back up my mouse wasn't working properly (I could move it but couldn't click anything). I put it on the charger and plugged in an old mouse and rebooted again as it wasn't being detected. The pc came back up but now everything was going south.

The xp theme was changed to the classic one. I went into display properties to change it back but the jump box only had one choice - classic.

The desktop was stuck on the "active desktop could not be restored" screen.

I have no Internet access. I've tried resetting the modem, etc but nothing seems to work. That makes trying to fix anything almost impossible. I'm typing this from my iPhone.

I get several stop codes but Google yields no results when searching them.

0x7564d3ba
0x77600741
0x75606eb5

I tried to do a system restore but the final click I need to make to start the restore does nothing. It's like I'm not even clicking it.

I looked around for anything out of the ordinary and found a couple things right away. In device manager, there is a yellow exclamation mark next to "Other Devices". When I expand that, there is another next to the only option, "SM Bus Controller".

I cannot open either of my hard drives. Clicking on my backup drive does nothing and clicking on my C drive gives another error:

Windows cannot find 'RECYCLER\S-1-0-29-100021450-100007094-8170.com'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly ........ (etc)

Any ideas? :cry:

vivitron 15
03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
sounds like you'll need to reformat to me...sucks though, and hope someone else has a better idea.

perhaps you could get a live linux disk, to see if you can boot into that...that would tell you if its software or hardware related.

clocker
03-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Run system repair.

Skiz
03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Could you be more specific?

I tried putting the xp disk in as I thought there was some some kind of repair option but there isn't. I have an old xp upgrade disk as well as a full version and neither gave me the option to do any sort of repair. From reading around a bit, I do not want to click new install, so.....

It's so tempermental I don't know if I can do anything at all on it.

Pixel
03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Could you be more specific?

I tried putting the xp disk in as I thought there was some some kind of repair option but there isn't. I have an old xp upgrade disk as well as a full version and neither gave me the option to do any sort of repair. From reading around a bit, I do not want to click new install, so.....

It depends on what version of windows you have. First I would run some hardware tests to make sure it's not a bad HD or memory.

Drive Fitness Test by Hitachi is a great little tool to run a HD test.

Memtest is a great memory test.

If both of those pass then I would try a windows repair as mentioned above. If it's possible it would be the 3rd screen in the windows installer. The first one you need to click enter to start, f8 to accept the agreement and then it would give you the option to repair an existing operating system.

If that option is not available then you would you need to a full restore.

Have you tired booting into safe mode and doing a windows restore?

clocker
03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
From reading around a bit, I do not want to click new install, so.....

Actually, clicking on new install is exactly what you want to do.
After that, it will find your hard drive(s) and the already installed OS and offer the option to repair or replace.
When you choose the repair option it will proceed exactly as though it's doing a full install but it's really only overwriting the core Windows files, leaving all your apps/data intact.

KFlint
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Have you checked the web for known issues with this particular utility you removed?

As odd as it sounds, I would try reinstalling it and see what happens, in case it fixes some system files that were removed during the uninstall

I removed an audio driver today and it caused my ethernet card to refuse to start up with a code 10 right after...I guess with Windows anything is possible

Artemis
03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
If you cannot rollback the O/S with a system restore (have you tried doing this via safe mode ?). Then a repair install is one of the few options left. It sounds to me though with missing hardware entries since the utilty removal that there has actually been a corruption of the registry? My first port of call would be to run a registry scan and repair tool to see if this resolves the issues. Something I use all the time is Hirens BootCD because it has all the hardware based utilities to do low level repairs on a single bootable CD including registry repair tools. Another option is to use Norton Systemworks and run it from the CD to run a registry repair (if you have either of these tools).

Once you have run a registry repair the system maybe stable enough to either continue using or to run a rollback on.

If these options do not work then a repair install is the next logical choice, remember though depending on your O/S disc you will have to reinstall the service packs afterwards.

Skiz
03-03-2009, 02:51 AM
I'd love to try some of things but I can't access the Internet to get any of them. Even if I could, I can't open my C drive to access anything.

I'm going through right now and testing the memory and GPUs one at a time.

Artemis
03-03-2009, 03:13 AM
I'd love to try some of things but I can't access the Internet to get any of them. Even if I could, I can't open my C drive to access anything.

I'm going through right now and testing the memory and GPUs one at a time.

You do have friends I take it ? surely one of them must have one of those new fangled laptoppy thingee's or a PC with a burner. Hiren's BootCD is all over the interwebz and is roughly an 80mb download, this tool can pick up SATA controllers when booted itself, it also has the option to be run from within Windows so you can run diagnostics from within your Windows installation but they are still run from the CD they do not need to be installed.

I simply suggested using a tool like hirens to do some testing on your PC rather than going to the lengths of running a repair install since if it simply a corrupted registry, a registry repair may solve the problem.

clocker
03-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Just run the damn Windows repair.

Detale
03-03-2009, 04:08 AM
LOL yeah Im with clocker do a XP system repair. If your disk doens't have th eoption or doesn't work. Go to a friends and DL a copy of XP (updated oc) and use that one. If not you're going to have to do a full re-install homie.

Skiz
03-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Why would I download a copy of XP when I have 2 of them already? :huh:

I did however go out today and buy this (http://www.used-pcs.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=10&idproduct=31185) to tide me over.

The TSG fella at work today said to bring it to him tomorrow and he'll have a look when he gets home. I'll be sure to report back any pertinent info or solutions.

Cabalo
03-03-2009, 05:05 AM
that all looks like some hardware conflicts. plus registry corrupted.
this once helped me solve a kinda similar problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

now, maybe try a full reinstall of your drivers. go to www.drivermax.com and install their autodetection software. I know you haven't internet access, but if your ethernet port is working, and you have a router, you can get it sorted out.

Detale
03-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Why would I download a copy of XP when I have 2 of them already? :huh:

LOL yeah Im with clocker do a XP system repair. If your disk doens't have the option or doesn't work. Go to a friends and DL a copy of XP (updated oc) and use that one. If not you're going to have to do a full re-install homie.
Who loves ya man ;)

colombianino
03-05-2009, 05:02 PM
that all looks like some hardware conflicts. plus registry corrupted.
this once helped me solve a kinda similar problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

now, maybe try a full reinstall of your drivers. go to www.drivermax.com and install their autodetection software. I know you haven't internet access, but if your ethernet port is working, and you have a router, you can get it sorted out.

well im with Cabalo, it seems that uninstalling this software made your computer go wild, and you also checked the device manager which showed a missing driver. So why not try installing that and not doing a system repair?

ps: also it could be a registry issue. try also checking IF there are any known problems on your hardware due to incompatibility with xp.

clocker
03-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Or he could run the system repair, which rebuilds the fucking registry anyway.

Just sayin.

For the THIRD time.

SonsOfLiberty
03-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Repair will work but so will just re-formating the hard drive :) If you unsure of the XP utility grab this...obviously you have internet access or you wouldn't be posting.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

MadIrish
03-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Or he could run the system repair, which rebuilds the fucking registry anyway.

Just sayin.

For the THIRD time.

Flmao :lol:

Nah, I reckon much more complicated solutions are the way forward, a pox on your very-likely-to-work-with-no-hassle suggestions!

Detale
03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Clocker, what do you think he should do? :huh:

Artemis
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Go on say it again clocker, all in caps this time, maybe even a brightly coloured font for the ADD afflicted amongst us :naughty:

MackDaddy
03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
If you can get to the desktop then try reinstalling the utility that you uninstalled in case if there was some shared files that more then one utility depends on that were deleted

My computer has done that before, and sometimes it is because of a unstable app that I recently installed, if you can get to your desktop then try uninstalling any apps that you recently installed

Another thing, if you get it running, try installing Autopatcher

If the problem is software errors then it can be good to reinstall the windows updates that are already installed

AutoPatcher XP

AutoPatcher XP Full May 2007

http://majorgeeks.com/AutoPatcher_XP_Full_d4901.html

AutoPatcher XP Update August 2007

http://majorgeeks.com/AutoPatcher_XP_Update_d5213.html

I noticed that when my computer would do that then after I would uninstall any recent installs and reinstall the windows updates then it would often help

With Autopatcher it is good to select almost all of the updates but there are a few that are better not to update including:

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation
Internet Explorer 7 (just use Internet Explorer 6)
Windows Runtime

clocker
03-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I think he should buy a Mac.

MackDaddy
03-06-2009, 01:08 PM
When you start the computer if you can get to a command line then type:

chkdsk

clocker
03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
With Autopatcher it is good to select almost all of the updates but there are a few that are better not to update including:
Internet Explorer 7 (just use Internet Explorer 6)

Why not just stick with Mosaic?

Skiz
03-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Since people like to repeat what they've said, I suppose I'll repeat myself as well - I gave it to a tech support guy at work and he's working on it. I have also bought another computer to tide me over until I get my baby back, that's how I'm able to post.

lynx
03-07-2009, 12:49 AM
I gave it to a tech support guy at work and he's working on it.:lol:
Sucka

SonsOfLiberty
03-07-2009, 02:44 AM
I gave it to a tech support guy at work and he's working on it.:lol:
Sucka

:lol: Agree, my dad just took one to some "repair" guy, I could've fixed it for free :D

Skiz
03-07-2009, 03:16 AM
It's not like it's going to cost me anything more than a genuine "Thank you". :)

He drinks Crown Royal or something else. Perhaps I'll buy him a bottle. :idunno:

Detale
03-07-2009, 07:20 AM

Go on say it again clocker, all in caps this time, maybe even a brightly coloured font for the ADD afflicted amongst us :naughty:
This is a first, you missed some of my sarcasm, :whoosh:

Skizo, no one like a quitter man

Skiz
03-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I didn't feel like I had the proper resources to deal with the problem is all.

I miss pwning n00bs in cod4 though. :cry:

Artemis
03-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Errr no......... got the sarcasm, twas more for clocker's benefit since I could feel he was starting to get peeved at the thread so I thought I would add some gasoline to that particular fire :naughty:

Ohhhh and your a wuss Skizo.

Detale
03-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Ahhh, I see Sorry.

MackDaddy
03-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Errr no......... got the sarcasm, twas more for clocker's benefit since I could feel he was starting to get peeved at the thread so I thought I would add some gasoline to that particular fire :naughty:

Ohhhh and your a wuss Skizo.

Actually Skizo reminds me of how I am when I am in the middle of my work week, with a bunch of things going on all at the same time

Skiz
03-09-2009, 04:28 AM
PC is fixed apparently. I'll pick it up at work tomorrow.

It seems there were a couple of trojans on there that were relatively easy to remove with the correct resources. Strange that neither NOD32, Spybot, nor AdAware were able to catch any of them. :dry:

Detale
03-09-2009, 06:50 AM
That is odd, Glad all is well again man. IMO you should do a re-install just to be on the safe side.

Skiz
03-09-2009, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't even know how to do that. :unsure:

If it seems fixed, I'm not gonna fuck with it. Tho if the issue arises again, that will definitely be the future fix.

clocker
03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Get a Mac.

Detale
03-09-2009, 01:17 PM
^^LOL

Just reinstall windows Skizo and format the HDD so no viruses can live there :)

clocker
03-09-2009, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't even know how to do that. :unsure:

That's why we're here...to hold your hand and guide you through it.
And laugh at you.

Seriously- and this time I mean it, every PC owner should know how to reinstall Windows.
It's not hard and it's the easiest/quickest fallback fix for most software FUBARS.

Assuming you have a backup strategy in place- and if you don't, well you deserve what you get- you could have fixed* this problem yourself in under two hours...less time than you spent posting about the problem.

*OK, I'll grant that many don't consider this a "fix" in the classic sense.
I don't care.
For me, the ultimate goal has always been to minimize downtime, not to master the arcane innards of the OS.

I have a friend who takes great pride in being able to disinfect almost any PC.
It might take days to do but he likes to do it.
He's much smarter than I but my Neanderthal approach does the same thing in a fraction of the time.

He can be smart...I prefer lazy and fast.

Detale
03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Doesn't Lynx love to disinfect the OS rather than reinstall it? Personally I love me a fresh install. Nothing ever works quite as smooth as when a new OS is well, new.

Skizo dude it's so easy it's not funny. Basically you put the disk in restart the computer and follow the prompts. There are very few choices to make and then you wait around 15-60 Min depending on the OS and the rig, and you're done. Then you can install any drivers or software you want to. Something to remember to backup is your bookmarks I have found that "Mozbackup" a free program does everything in FF and there is a IE one out there also free. Otherwise save what you need and trash the rest ;)

If you ever decide to do it just open a thread and we'll all give you detailed instruction not that you'll need it.