PDA

View Full Version : When is it ok to have dupe FST accounts?

danio
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
This is something that has crossed my mind many times since i registered here. I can't find anything in the rules about using more than one account at a time. I don't know, maybe i'm missing it or there simply is no rule against this.

But regardless of whether it's in the rules or not, i've noticed that people have been banned for using a dupe account to pretend he's someone he's not (for example a trader registers another account where he acts like an "anti-trader"). When people are catched for things like this, either the dupe accounts or all of them usually gets banned.

So again, maybe it's just me being a sloppy reader, or this question has some merit. When is it ok to use more than one account at a time, and when is it not. Because frankly to me it seems like when it benefits FST (read: when someone uses a dupe account to leak tracker information such as reviews) it is all good, otherwise it's not. Please correct me if i'm wrong cause if that's the case, it seems very hypocritical to me.

Cabalo
03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
... when you are a staffer kid and want to come here make a post insulting some member :rolleyes: (eg, yesterday)

stoi
03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
... when you are a staffer kid and want to come here make a post insulting some member :rolleyes: (eg, yesterday)

doesnt stop me doing it in my name lol

as to the ops ?

i believe its ok to have dupe accounts if you use them in the rest of the forum, lounge etc, but if you have 2 accounts that you use in the bittorrent section then you have a chance to be banned.

danio
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
i believe its ok to have dupe accounts if you use them in the rest of the forum, lounge etc, but if you have 2 accounts that you use in the bittorrent section then you have a chance to be banned.

i see. so to make an example of this, this is the latest review submitted:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-bittorrent-tracker-reviews-post3151177/postcount286

this is obviously posted in the bittorrent section. would anyone argue against that this is a dupe account?

stoi
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
well... lol

That is benefitting FST but not the trackers, so that will be fine to the staff of FST i presume, and probably welcomed if we are honest about it.

It is more for trading with 1 account, and anti-trader with the other, or scammer in 1 and nice member in the other type thing i would imagine.

but then i am not FST staff, so probably best to wait for them i would presume.

IdolEyes787
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-bittorrent-tracker-reviews-post3151177/postcount286

this is obviously posted in the bittorrent section. would anyone argue against that this is a dupe account?

I think that the exact rule is you can't use 2 accounts in the invite or trade section(personally I'm in favour or banning all dupes,anywhere) and even if I'm mistaken, although this is clearly a dupe there is no concrete evidence to that fact.(at least none that I can find).

Cabalo
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM

or when you are dick and go make some review :sick:
...or when you are a newb and believe everything people tell you... :rolleyes:

IdolEyes787
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM

or when you are dick and go make some review :sick:

Or apparently after editing some threads "if you are a dick" and wish to trash talk people with spineless anonymity.

Bone.W.Machine
03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
... when you are a staffer kid and want to come here make a post insulting some member :rolleyes: (eg, yesterday)are you a staffer kid? You insulted more than just one member, so it should be members with an S in the end of the word to make it plural. :smilie4:

KFlint
03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
From what I remember, as long as you aren't banned/disabled/DP on one account, you can have as much accounts as you want

Otherwise, you are persona non grata and the other accounts will be banned

Swift
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Why would you need more then one account if your not banned ? Do you have double/triple personality ?

KFlint
03-03-2009, 03:44 PM
That's indeed useless if you are clean here, some do it just to have fun with noobs though

The most obvious reason would be to trade with one account and be a non-trader on the other side to get the benefits of both.

I also remember banning a couple of scammers that had non-trader characters, but we are talking about the worst scum here, that doesn't happen often

To summarize, some people should get laid more often ;)

BradleyPittock
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
It shouldn't ever be ok to have more than one account. Especially for picking on people. :no:

IdolEyes787
03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I am going to change the title of this thread to "irony".

rumblefish
03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
It's a shame that people stoop to such levels for such trivial things. :(

IdolEyes787
03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Like he said without the subtext.

GeneralFailure
03-03-2009, 04:31 PM
You've taken that too far. :eyebrows:

IdolEyes787
03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I usually do.:(

That1Guy
03-03-2009, 04:35 PM
I have one dupe account.... unless it is disabled 4 inactivity (if that happens). It is the name that I use on a lot of my trackers. I have the account so no one else can make an account with my name.

For any other reason I cant see why u would want/need one.

redMonster
03-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I think that in most cases, a dupe account is never required except some cases which have already mentioned by the other posters in this thread.

/me hides his 19 dupe accounts

The_Martinator
03-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't think it should be ok to have dupe accs. Putting aside the trader anti-trader aspect, it's just plain wrong to pretend you're someone else (though it's not like the rest of us reveal our identities, lol). Some sites wish to remain unknown and some members here have been around long enough to respect that.

Skiz
03-03-2009, 07:02 PM

doesnt stop me doing it in my name lol

as to the ops ?

That is correct, for the most part.

There are some members of the board who have 8-10 accounts and that's just fine. We don't care how many account a person has, why should we? However, those members are not active in the Bittorrent section whatsoever and honestly wouldn't be caught dead posting here.

The only time we do not allow a member to have multiple accounts is when they are active in the Bittorrent section(s) as in the past it has led to scams and other transgressions.

Correct, it is likely a duplicate of another member but was also posted with a proxy. That might lead most people to believe it's a duplicate of someone here but unless we can prove it there is no need to interrupt the account. My other guess is that the account was made for that post solely and we won't see another.

harshytkage
03-04-2009, 04:09 AM
hehehe...never thought of having a dupe account, what's wrong in posting a review in your own name,...nice to be back!

TP635
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
It should NEVER be OK to have a dupe account in ANY forum or tracker.

pone44
03-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I definitely agree with that^, unless it's for a good reason such as staff/Community Reps on a forum, tracker! I personally see no good reason for a regular member to have 2 accounts anywhere, including Fst.

Skiz
03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
It should NEVER be OK to have a dupe account in ANY forum or tracker.

Great point.

Well represented.

7th
03-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Now I'm just curious. Is there any user here with the name Ephisto?
It sounds familiar to me while "otsihpe" is a really strange nick.

Anyway, I would have difficulties in trusting someone with dupe accounts in anywhere.

Even in cases like this one above I think it's a bad case cause the person don't want to identifies itself as a reviewer "maybe because the tracker don't want this kind of reviews" :huh:

no_bother
03-05-2009, 01:53 PM
I insult people, im not a staffer, Im just a troll. and I really think that this is being discussed in other places that it should be, and this thread is a stab at one particular member, and shouldt be allowed

danio
03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I insult people, im not a staffer, Im just a troll. and I really think that this is being discussed in other places that it should be, and this thread is a stab at one particular member, and shouldt be allowed

i didn't understand all of that but no, this thread is not directed at any particular member.. if you read the first sentence, i said that this is something that have crossed my mind multiple times. the example i made from a posted review was just that, an example. where i looked at the latest reviews and found that the last one submitted was likely from a dupe account.

i could've just pmed Skizo about my question. but since i'm not interested myself in registering dupe accounts, i thought it was more interesting to make it a public discussion and see what other members' opinions about it are.