PDA

View Full Version : Soul Seek User's

Peanut
03-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi what up fam,
Quick question am new to using soul seek, i had it like 4-5 years ago
but i didn't pay attention to it (am a old IRC user)
Question:
Is there a channel/room were i can find old 70/80's music genre ??
-Thanks Peanut :fst:

Funkin'
03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Take a look through the room list, I'm sure you'll find a room with people sharing this type of music.

yuckfou
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Soulseek is comprehensive to find mp3 and movies, but IRC is faster..

Peanut
03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Take a look through the room list, I'm sure you'll find a room with people sharing this type of music.
Ive' only got 22 rooms to choose from, none of them have a description
like 70 music etc,

Skiz
03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Right-click the rooms list and select, 'Refresh Rooms'. Wait 60 seconds or so for rooms to fully refresh.

Also, are you using Soulseek or SoulseekNS? SoulseekNS is what you should be using.

Col. Skillz
03-05-2009, 03:45 AM
whats the difference between NS and non NS?

Funkin'
03-05-2009, 04:41 AM
NS is new server I believe. I could be wrong though(I use the Linux client Nicotine+, so I'm not that familiar with the Soulseek version these days).

And yeah Peanut, once you hit Refresh a ton of rooms will pop up.

Col. Skillz
03-05-2009, 04:45 AM
thanks funkin i figured that out now, but i must be doing something wrong because im not seeing what's great about soulseek =p

i posted in another thread, the download speeds dont seem very fast and its kinda annoying needing to find the right room for what im looking for when there are so many to choose from, most with only a few users =/

Funkin'
03-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Well yeah, you're not going to get as fast of speeds as you would at a private tracker(at least I haven't). But I usually get on average around 60kb/s-80kb/s download speed. Which is good enough for me considering how small mp3 albums are. Make sure you have opened a port on your router for Soulseek. That should increase your speeds.

And you don't have to search individual rooms for whatever album you're looking for. Just use the main search function. That will scan everyone's files at once. Much easier than going room to room looking at people's files.

Col. Skillz
03-05-2009, 05:03 AM
ahh thanks for that funkin, its exactly what i was looking for, a main search. ill go try it now

wow i take it back...using the general search is much, much better....i will now use soulseek and soulseek alone =)

god, there were so many results for bob marley my shit crashed, heh

wow i take it back...using the general search is much, much better....i will now use soulseek and soulseek alone =)

god, there were so many results for bob marley my shit crashed, heh

Funkin'
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Yeah, that general search is bad ass. Sometimes on a big artist(like Bob Marley) it will take several minutes to bring all the files up.

I just hope your speed increases. I do have to mention that it depends on the person you're leeching from. A few times I've gotten up to 120kb/s(my highest speed I've gotten from Slsk yet) all through the album. But then the next person I'll get 10kb/s. So with any p2p it depends on the persons up speed and how many people he's uploading to when you start downloading.

Make sure to open a port though. And also make sure to set your share folder. There's a good tutorial stickied if you need any other type of help.

xa1ups
01-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Just use the main search function. That will scan everyone's files at once. Much easier than going room to room looking at people's files.

No it wont :) Unless you are "privileged" (donated a few). Then general search works levels better. The best way to find what you want is to go into specialized rooms after refreshing the rooms list. Then right click in the rooms chat space and "search room for files" Also it helps to save users with files that interest you in your "user list" so after some time you don't even need to go to any rooms you just search your user list for files.

cinephilia
01-20-2010, 11:17 AM
The best way to find what you want is to go into specialized rooms after refreshing the rooms list. Then right click in the rooms chat space and "search room for files" Also it helps to save users with files that interest you in your "user list" so after some time you don't even need to go to any rooms you just search your user list for files.
except that users from "specialized rooms" with big amount of files are generally "userlist only" (they only share files with their buddy list). that means you'll have to get to know them first before being able to browse their files.

xa1ups
01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
True tho it works this way almost everywhere in the internets :) It helps if you share some nice stuff too.
There is also another feature for finding users with files that interest you: "Things I like". You just add artists name there and then right click "get recommendations for item". Returns a list with similar artists and a list with users sharing all that.