PDA

View Full Version : PS3 hum

peat moss
03-04-2009, 02:40 AM
I'v had this problem since the day we bought the system , hum and lines running horizontal . A google search shows a problem called ground loop back .

I tried a suggestion from a video forum calling for a different power cord with the middle ground to be broken off , low and behold problem solved . I used a new computer power cord , I'm a little worried even tho its plugged in to a high end power surge protecter .

Friends say its not safe so has me doubting the advice . I heard that a HDMI cable might solve the problem ? The bloody thing works fine in other rooms with different tv's , I want to use the big screen and 5.1 in the livingroom tho . :ermm:

Have others tried a different approach ?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=774745

Detale
03-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Instead of cutting off the ground plug why not try an adapter made for 3 prong to 2 prong? You can get one for less that $1 at a hardware store. It would basically give you the same results as cutting the thing off without permanent damage to your cord.

I will say that in construction we cut them off all the time (we're told not to OC) but I have never seen or heard of any problem because of it at all man.

KFlint
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I had this problem recently when connecting my Mac on my TV, I solved the problem by plugging them on the same Power Bar.

I don't remember the technicalities though, I found the info on the net, they must share the same ground or something like that to avoid noise

Could be an easy thing to check

tesco
03-04-2009, 11:38 PM
The first thing I would check, peat, is that the circuit your tv/system is plugged into is actually grounded.
You can buy one of these:
http://www.electrical-online.com/Voltagetesters_files/image006.jpg (Plug-in Receptacle Tester)
If you only get 1 orange light it means you don't have a ground.

Anyway IMO (im an electrician btw) you're probably safe without that ground pin on your PS3 but with kids in the house I wouldn't take any risks (there's, tho unlikely, potential for electrocution).

An HDMI cable should solve your problems. Since it's a digital signal, it will either work or not work. You can't get a fuzzy picture. And it will probably work.

Detale
03-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Great advice T, but whatever you do K DO NOT buy a cable in a retail store. The price gouging is unreasonable. Order that shit and there's no need to get the uber expensive monster brand cables either as long as the cable says it's 1.3b compliant its OK. Even that doesn't matter much when the cable is under 6' (assuming yours will be.)

peat moss
03-05-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm going to try the HDMI cable , and it that does n't work talk to my cable provider . I also read the out side cable box might not be grounded ?

Thank you very much guy's .

Detale
03-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Having done some cable installation work when I lived in California I can say that most arent installed correctly. When you do a new install on a cable line or a "MDU" box sometimes the trouble to install a ground it just more than some can take myself included.

SonsOfLiberty
03-05-2009, 06:40 AM
It would be easier just to call Sony and get a new one :) If it is truly defective I would get a new one...My Xbox360 sound like a freakin' jumbo jet taking off from Laguardia. It's insanely loud sometimes... But if you want to be safe and have had it for less than a year, Sony is obligated to fix/alleviate the problem. Their failure rate is about 5% so it could very well be defective and only a matter of time before it goes. I'm on my 3rd Xbox360, well it's the 3rd generation and has held up well to over 1,000 hours of game play so far, it will only get worse for my system once Mass Effect 2, RE5, BioShcok 2, and the rest of the Fallout 3 DLC's get released. If you want to be safe, I would exchange it before the year warranty is up :( Screw the work a rounds, get a "legit" PS3 that doesn't make the hum :)

tesco
03-05-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm going to try the HDMI cable , and it that does n't work talk to my cable provider . I also read the out side cable box might not be grounded ?

Thank you very much guy's .
Easy enough to test, disconnect the cable line from your TV.:P

edit: On a side note I recommend everyone buys one of these and tests if their receptacles are grounded. It is fairly important and you don't want to find out if it's grounded the hard way. :lol:
http://www.electrical-online.com/Voltagetesters_files/image006.jpg (Plugin Tester/North American (japanese?) outlet)
Do as you wish.

It would be easier just to call Sony and get a new one :) If it is truly defective I would get a new one...My Xbox360 sound like a freakin' jumbo jet taking off from Laguardia. It's insanely loud sometimes... But if you want to be safe and have had it for less than a year, Sony is obligated to fix/alleviate the problem. Their failure rate is about 5% so it could very well be defective and only a matter of time before it goes. I'm on my 3rd Xbox360, well it's the 3rd generation and has held up well to over 1,000 hours of game play so far, it will only get worse for my system once Mass Effect 2, RE5, BioShcok 2, and the rest of the Fallout 3 DLC's get released. If you want to be safe, I would exchange it before the year warranty is up :( Screw the work a rounds, get a "legit" PS3 that doesn't make the hum :)
read the thread don't just go by the thread title.
He's not complaining about noise. :lol:

KFlint
03-06-2009, 04:19 AM
Great advice T, but whatever you do K DO NOT buy a cable in a retail store. The price gouging is unreasonable. Order that shit and there's no need to get the uber expensive monster brand cables either as long as the cable says it's 1.3b compliant its OK. Even that doesn't matter much when the cable is under 6' (assuming yours will be.)

monoprice is my friend for cheap cables :01:

SonsOfLiberty
03-06-2009, 05:13 AM
Easy enough to test, disconnect the cable line from your TV.:P

edit: On a side note I recommend everyone buys one of these and tests if their receptacles are grounded. It is fairly important and you don't want to find out if it's grounded the hard way. :lol:
http://www.electrical-online.com/Voltagetesters_files/image006.jpg (Plugin Tester/North American (japanese?) outlet)
Do as you wish.

read the thread don't just go by the thread title.
He's not complaining about noise. :lol:

Yeah, yeah, I read it, still sound defective...no PS3 should sound like a damn jumbo jet taking off. My cousin has one and I can't even here it, well it might have something to do with the towering 50 odd inch HDTV :lol: But, no, PS3 are not supposed be loud.

lynx
03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/buttonbaggins2/funny_monkey.jpg

peat moss
03-07-2009, 03:12 AM
On a side note , my good buddie brought some new games over tonite , when he saw to his horror that I did n't have HDMI he promptly ran out to buy me a cable .

Told him I appreciated it but pick up some beer too , cheep bastered . :dry:

Detale
03-07-2009, 07:21 AM
A simple man with simple needs.

tesco
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
On a side note , my good buddie brought some new games over tonite , when he saw to his horror that I did n't have HDMI he promptly ran out to buy me a cable .

And did it fix it?

clocker
03-07-2009, 12:51 PM

And did it fix it?
I'm sure it did.
After 20 beers the hum and horizontal lines didn't bother him.

peat moss
03-12-2009, 04:03 AM
I finally got around to putting the three prong power plug back in , no hum . I feel safer now . Nice picture with the HDMI connection tho , I'm very happy with it and my new LCD and Pioneer surround sound .

Life don't get much better than this . :)

Detale
03-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Glad to hear all is well. What surround sound system do you have?

peat moss
03-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Nothing special Detale , it was a package system from BestBuy . Toshiba 40 " LCD and Pioneer 5.1 . It was under a grand , thought I did well . Just got to convince the wife we need a HD box now . :naughty:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=BDL10001852&logon=&langid=EN&test_cookie=1