PDA

View Full Version : Us Border Crossing

MagicNakor
09-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Well, I was reminded of the most odd thing from james_bond_rulez saying:

yeah i just heard a canadian gay couple was denied access at the US boarder because they filled "family" in some form and the custom officer got pissed or something or simply was dissing them.

Rather than pull that topic off-topic, I'll just start a new one. ;) (I'm trying to avoid work, can you tell?) Now, apparently, the US customs people want Canadians to have passports with a whole ton of biometric information, or else we won't get to play in their little country. Apologies for the long article, but I couldn't find a link.

The days of quick and easy documentation-free visits to the United States may be drawing to a close.

The Bush administration wants all Canadians travelling to the United States to carry a passport that will eventually include biometric markers such as iris scans as well as digital photos.

US Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge will discuss the proposal with Deputy Prime Minister John Manley when they meet next month, US officials say. The meeting is tenatively scheduled for Oct. 3 in Toronto.

The proposal calls for passports issued after next year to be quickly scanned by US border authorities that would read biometric markers to confirm a traveller's identity, a State Department offical said.

Canadians currently driving through the US border points for a day of shopping or a few days of sight-seeing are often just asked a few questions and quickly waved through without being asked to produce documentation.

Canadian business travellers and tourists arriving at US airports can enter the country with a simple photo identity card such as a driver's license. That kind of ease of flow of people, goods and services between the two countries is thought to be responsible for the $1.5 billion a day in business that occurs across the border.

But the Sept. 11 airliner assults led to the passing of congressional legislation aimed at tracking every tourist, student and business traveller entering the United States as part of the effort to tighten border security.

The US Congress called for foreign visitors arriving in the United States by air and sea will be tracked by a new system that verifies their identities through fingerprints or newer technologies such as iris scans or digital photos by 2005.

Canada had asked for an exemption to the legistlation, but the Bush administration refused to grant Canadians any special bypass.

"How do you prove you're a Canadian if you don't have any documentation?" asked one State Department official with knowledge of the talks between Manley and Ridge.

Mike Scandiffio, a spokesman for Manley, said the Deputy Prime Minister and Ridge are working towards a meeting next month to discuss the issue of documentation requirements for Canadians entering the United States, but he could not confirm any other details.

Manley has been warning Canadians for about a year that they will just have to accept more imposing scrutiny by US authorities when they cross the border into the United States.

There is also a fear that if no border plan is agreed to by both countries, unforseen events such as a future terrorist attack could provoke a backlash in the fickle US Congress that would lead to harsher measures imposed on Canadian travellers.

There's another article lying around here somewhere dealing with an Ontario farm that straddles the border, and more on that biometric issue, but I can't seem to find it right now. Perhaps some of those who're over Ontario way (and frequent this area of the forum) know what I'm talking about.

:ninja:

sharedholder
09-19-2003, 11:37 AM
The Bush administration wants all Canadians travelling to the United States to carry a passport that will eventually include biometric markers such as iris scans as well as digital photos.

biometric markers ??? iris scans ?? The Bush administration want to make us living in a fucking Matrix world. :angry: :angry:

james_bond_rulez
09-19-2003, 12:00 PM
how does this have to do with my statement?

and how is my statement odd? I watched tonight's news and heard about this

it's not something I made up

Snee
09-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@19 September 2003 - 13:00
how does this have to do with my statement?

and how is my statement odd? I watched tonight's news and heard about this

it's not something I made up
Don't worry he didn't say you said something wrong, he said that the thing you reminded him of was wrong.

Biometric markers iris scans, I'd say the US have serious trust issues

james_bond_rulez
09-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Bush wont win the next election and as far as we know the administrator probably wont get this passed until years after.

it's not a really good idea to alienate Canadians since 1. we are business partners, almost 70% of our goods (lumbers and such) go to US and 2. we are neighbors and US is not being a good neighbor by shutting the door in our face, and 3. we are a country that respect people's privacy, so it's gonna be a huge problem when it comes to whatever dna scans or biometric scans or whatnot because that is our biological information and we deserve to keep it private and not to give it to the government and let them use it for whatever purpose (cloning, for example)

ilw
09-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@19 September 2003 - 12:33
But the Sept. 11 airliner assults led to the passing of congressional legislation aimed at tracking every tourist, student and business traveller entering the United States as part of the effort to tighten border security.

The US Congress called for foreign visitors arriving in the United States by air and sea will be tracked by a new system that verifies their identities through fingerprints or newer technologies such as iris scans or digital photos by 2005.

I think the US may be overreacting a bit <_< But that said some of the swiss people i&#39;ve talked to said that they were really surprised by how lax America is (or at least was a couple of years ago) in keeping track of where people with temporary visa&#39;s are. In Switzerland you have to register and get a permit for whichever area (canton) you are staying in, and if you move to another canton theres i think a 10day period in which you have to register or else you are violating your &#39;visa&#39;. I don&#39;t know the American rules, but apparently they were a lot less restrictive.

MagicNakor
09-19-2003, 07:13 PM
No, the statement about crossing the border reminded me of this. ;) It&#39;s one of those strange logical leaps that I make from time to time. I heard about the difficulties of crossing the border as a gay married couple too.

Although I don&#39;t think too much lumber is flowing across the border right now. Softwood lumber dispute and all.

I believe that temporary visas in the US allow you access to the entire country, not just a state or county. That&#39;d likely be easier to implement than forcing biometric passports on other countries. But, then again, that&#39;d mean having to change their own rules. ;)

bigboab
09-19-2003, 10:27 PM
There is nothing new in this. Thirty years ago while on a six month visit to the US I decided to go up to Canada for a few days. Trying to return to the US at the Niagara border crossing they would not let us back in. Apparantly because we had crossed into Canada at a different border crossing(Detroit) they had no record of us. It seemed that there passport stamp at Detroit did not count. It took us a few phone calls and about six hours to get back in. Needless to say I have not been back since.

james_bond_rulez
09-19-2003, 10:36 PM
roflamo

MeMeMeSoHony
09-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Now Canadians know how "WE" (i am) Mexicans feel like. We&#39;ve been dealing with this kind of crap for decades.. We&#39;re also business partners and neighbors but that doesnt count for them. :ph34r: I do understand them though. Not like im completely ignorant. But it does make me wonder when will the climax occur. I know people around this world aint happy with the USA...and USA aint happy with many people around the world either. :( :huh:

bigboab
09-22-2003, 03:03 AM
If you said you wanted to train as a pilot you would have gained immediate entry.

mogadishu
09-23-2003, 05:36 AM
i just cant wait till the canadiens legalize pot.. the border will turn into some east/west germany standoff.

MagicNakor
09-23-2003, 06:18 AM
Possession is no longer illegal in British Columbia. So...