PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to Astraweb

Reverse_sides
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any idea's as to why I can't connect to Astraweb.

I've had a giganews account without issue for months, but given the lower prices and increasing retention I decided to join astraweb.

I'm trying to connect to this server

eu.secure.news.astraweb.com

I have the correct port (have tried 443 and 563), both worked fine for around ten minutes then I got the download stopped and grabit just stated 'connecting', I restarted grabit and got a 'unable to connect to eu.secure.news.astraweb.com' error. Same thing happened on both ports.

As I said, I've never had any issues with giganews but I didn't have SSL on my giganews account.

Could it be my ISP stopping the SSL connection? (I'm on virginmedia's 10meg conection)

I also noticed when it was connected that not all articles downloaded, one or two would shoe downloaded' but not actually download, I'd have to restart grabit and use my giganews account to download them.

Skiz
03-09-2009, 06:37 PM
What client are you using?

UsenetGuy
03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
What client are you using?

I restarted grabit and got a 'unable to connect to eu.secure.news.astraweb.com' error.

:P

However I have the same problem with the connections too. Using the same server and same ISP. Never really thought much of it before since usually when it happens I have one or two connections still working and keeps it going fine or it just takes a minute or two to sort itself out. No problems with articles not being downloaded though :)

Both alt.binz and NewsBin have problems connecting. Heres a log from NewsBin:

[19:16:56] Level: ERROR MODULE=NNTPServerWorker, MSG=Failed to contact Server: Astraweb - Will retry eventually
[19:16:56] Level: ERROR MODULE=NNTPServerWorker, MSG=Failed to contact Server: Astraweb - Will retry eventually
[19:16:56] Level: ERROR SERVER=eu.secure.news.astraweb.com, MSG=Unable to read Greetings from Server: Unspecified Network Error
[19:16:56] Level: ERROR SERVER=eu.secure.news.astraweb.com, MSG=Unable to read Greetings from Server: Unspecified Network Error
[19:16:56] Level: ERROR MODULE=InterSocket, MSG=Error: SSL Negotiation Failed, Host: eu.secure.news.astraweb.com - ConnectSSL
[19:16:56] Level: ERROR MODULE=InterSocket, MSG=SSL Connection Failed: 0 - Line: 414
[19:16:41] Level: HIGH MSG=High Speed File Creation Mode: Enabled

Might email astraweb support about it, don't think it would be Virgin Media causing the problem. Normal astraweb servers seem fine btw :)

Reverse_sides
03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
grabit 1.7.2

Just found this on the astraweb site:

You might have problems connecting to our SSL servers if you're using GrabIt (version 1.7.2 beta 3 and below?).
We've had many users report that GrabIt has intermittent problems connecting to any SSL servers, whether
connecting to Astraweb or another usenet provider.
If you are experiencing this, then either do not use SSL with GrabIt or try another news reader from our
recommended list. At this stage we can not confirm whether GrabIt works properly in non-SSL mode. If
in doubt, use another news reader.
For all questions relating to GrabIt, contact the GrabIt author or check their website forum.

But as you said, you're having trouble with both alt.binz and newsbin.

SonsOfLiberty
03-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Newsleecher did this to me too, but because I had too many connections on my pathetic high speed line, and NL would just stop working, disconnect.

Reverse_sides
03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I have set it to 10 connection, and according to astraweb my account can have 20 connection, so I'm only using half. I've always used 10 on giganews too so figured I'd just stick with that.

Darth_Duane
03-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I couldn't get grabit to connect to SSL at all when I switched to astraweb so I went ahead and switched to newsleecher and haven't had a problem since.

Reverse_sides
03-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks, but I'm not really prepared to pay $20 a year for a newsreader, so switching to newsleecher is out.

UsenetGuy
03-09-2009, 09:14 PM
If I remember correctly I never had any problems with SABnzbd and the astraweb secure server, you could try that :)

Skiz
03-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Do you have SSL? Have you tried removing "eu.secure." from the server address?

It's a long time since I've used Grabit... is there a check box for SSL?

Have you tried a different client such as Alt.Binz to see if that works?

Reverse_sides
03-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Yes I have SSL, all astraweb account have ssl according to the astraweb site.

I have tried removing the secure part and just using the normal server and it works fine, but since SSL is an option, I'd like to use it. Ad am curious why I'm having problems doing so.

Haven't tried another reader yet, I plan on doing so later tonight.

Skiz
03-10-2009, 01:58 AM
It seems Grabit doesn't support SSL. Have a read here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/19/33632433-howto-ssl-usenet-and-grabbit.html).

My suggestion would be to use Alt.Binz instead, but if you really like Grabit, that's the fix.

dutchmaster420
03-10-2009, 02:54 AM
grabit absolutly does support SSL

http://www.shemes.com/index.php?p=features

i use to use grabit with astraweb ssl but switched to alt.binz just cuz it uses less resources...i reccomend switching to alt.binz but grabit does work with ssl...make sure your using the latest version of grabit from their website and try both ssl ports 563 and 443

Skiz
03-10-2009, 03:00 AM
So it does. Perhaps it was put in a newer release than "Reverse_sides" has.

@Reverse_sides - Are you using the latest version of Grabit?

Reverse_sides
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
grabit 1.7.2

I've got no problems switching to alt.binz, whatever works. I've downloaded the rar version to try tonight.

As I said in my original post, I have tried both ports on grabit, it connects on occasion, then other times says it can't connect.

SonsOfLiberty
03-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Try the other Astraweb secure address.
secure.news.astraweb.com

Oh here's newsleecher.
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-software-miscellaneous-nzbs-107/t-newsleecher-v3-9-final-incl-supersearch-fff-334454/?highlight=newsleecher

Well if Astraweb is having issues with grabit, then it's the developers problem not Astraweb, isn't the newest beta having issues, can't you roll back to an older version?

Reverse_sides
03-11-2009, 04:49 AM
I tried alt.binz and had no problems at all. But I can't seem to get alt.binz to delete the archive after it unrars the file, even though I have the option ticked.

Might not sound like a huge issue but it's annoying having to go into the folder after every download and delete all the archive files. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I do have the option to 'delete archive after unrar' ticked.

Funkin'
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
What version of alt.binz are using? 0.2.5 that you downloaded from the site, or the latest version off of Usenet(which I think is 0.2.8)? If you're using 0.2.5 get the latest version and try that.

dutchmaster420
03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Original Poster read this

https://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=16

Reverse_sides
03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
grabit 1.7.2

Just found this on the astraweb site:

You might have problems connecting to our SSL servers if you're using GrabIt (version 1.7.2 beta 3 and below?).
We've had many users report that GrabIt has intermittent problems connecting to any SSL servers, whether
connecting to Astraweb or another usenet provider.
If you are experiencing this, then either do not use SSL with GrabIt or try another news reader from our
recommended list. At this stage we can not confirm whether GrabIt works properly in non-SSL mode. If
in doubt, use another news reader.
For all questions relating to GrabIt, contact the GrabIt author or check their website forum.

But as you said, you're having trouble with both alt.binz and newsbin.

Original Poster read this

https://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=16

Thanks, I already read, and posted that earlier.

dutchmaster420
03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
oo sorry didnt see that...but yea switch to alt.binz...its free and is much better than grabit

SonsOfLiberty
03-11-2009, 06:11 PM
I just added a Newsleecer there for ya :) The newest version of Alt.binz doesn't download properly, it's a nice "addition" the author added in for people who didn't pay for it.

Skiz
03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I just added a Newsleecer there for ya :) The newest version of Alt.binz doesn't download properly, it's a nice "addition" the author added in for people who didn't pay for it.

Which version is that? What's the article name?

Reverse_sides
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
I tried the latest version of alt.binz (0.28.3) and the one direct from the website (0.25.0), the latest version wouldn't even unrar files after download, and the older version still wont delete the archives after a successful unrar. It's a nice program, very light on resources but it doesn't do everything I want.

Can anyone recommend another free program I can try?

Skiz
03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Tell us what do you want it to do and we can start from there.

SonsOfLiberty
03-11-2009, 07:55 PM

Which version is that? What's the article name?

In my post a couple back:

Try the other Astraweb secure address.
secure.news.astraweb.com

Oh here's newsleecher.
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-software-miscellaneous-nzbs-107/t-newsleecher-v3-9-final-incl-supersearch-fff-334454/?highlight=newsleecher

Well if Astraweb is having issues with grabit, then it's the developers problem not Astraweb, isn't the newest beta having issues, can't you roll back to an older version?

Reverse_sides
03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
grabit it did everything I wanted, but I can't get it to connect to astrwebs SLL server Lol. Looking for something that will actually connect to astrawebs sll, unrars after download, then deletes the archives after sucsesfull unrar. And is free.

SonsOfLiberty
03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
You won't find it, Alt.binz, Grabit, and SABnzbd only the only ones...and if they don't work for you, then you will need to pay for one or use a patched one....

cough, the link above, cough cough :)

Or use sTunnel and make your own SSL connection.

Reverse_sides
03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks, Ill probably end up going back to grabit and not using sll. alt.binz seems a little odd, since you can select both the option to auto unrar, and the option to delete archives after a sucsesfull unrar, but it doesn't actually do it. Ah well, what do I want for free lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's been greatly appriciated.

dutchmaster420
03-11-2009, 09:36 PM
use that newzleecher with supersearch it has everything you would need

Skiz
03-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks, Ill probably end up going back to grabit and not using sll. alt.binz seems a little odd, since you can select both the option to auto unrar, and the option to delete archives after a sucsesfull unrar, but it doesn't actually do it. Ah well, what do I want for free lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's been greatly appriciated.

It does it for me. :idunno:

Reverse_sides
03-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I might I've it a go, to be honest I've never been a big fan of newsleecher when I've tried it in the past.

I have used various different versions in the past and whenever I have used it it would randomly stop downloading and I'd have to restart it to get it going again, not a problem if you're at the PC. Annoying if you've left it alone and gone out/gone to sleep.