PDA

View Full Version : Are Games A Total Waste Of Time

ultimatejester
09-20-2003, 12:44 AM
I would like to know the pros and cons of playings games.

For one hour a week

For one hour a day

For multiple hours a day

For 1/2 the day

Wudd gaming improve some of our learning abilities? What is considered appropriate gaming?

CadeLaguana
09-20-2003, 01:07 AM
Are you crazy.

I look at games like the matrix. Ignorance is bliss. I'd rather spend my life into a game and having fun with my buddys then get a job and deal with my boring life...

I can do things in a game that I can't do in real life so I play games.

Yes studies have found playing games can improve something...

Its eye hand cordination.

Games own.

I play games when I wake all the way untill I go to sleep. That is unless I have to pick up my brother to come over, or I just go over there and play on his LAN setup..

Or if I have to go to the store or eat or take a shit then I don't play.

On average I play at least 10 hours of my waking life...

ultimatejester
09-20-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by CadeLaguana@20 September 2003 - 01:07
Are you crazy.

Yes studies have found playing games can improve something.
take it ez. i was only askig for a opinon. i lost u when u sed that games can improve sumthin

cow_dung
09-20-2003, 02:01 AM
Are Games A Total Waste Of Time :o NO :o ?

Cygnuz-Y
09-20-2003, 02:07 AM
Yes, games are the best thing ever created....

Have you played a game so cool, you thought it was real? what if could never stop playing that game, how will you know the difference between real life or a game?

I mean this wow factor are in some games like Zelda: Ocarina of time, CS, Metal Gear Solid and a whole bunch more, but when U really get into a game, U can't stop playing and you really feel, U R in the game, thats until You realize, that all is fake and that real life SUXS...

Video games Rules, LONG LIFE TO VIDEOGAMES.....

ultimatejester
09-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y@20 September 2003 - 02:07
I mean this wow factor are in some games like Zelda: Ocarina of time, CS, Metal Gear Solid
i agree with ya on these 3

CadeLaguana
09-20-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y@20 September 2003 - 03:07
U can't stop playing and you really feel, U R in the game, thats until You realize, that all is fake and that real life SUXS...

Yes. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thats what it felt like playing final fantasy 8. Now that was a good game...

I couldn't pull myself away because I just had to know what happens next. Actually the only reason I seemed to play it was for the story....

Counter-strike has the same effect. I think one of the longest times I ever played a game without getting up was a few months ago. I had gotten up, took a shit, ate something, then went to a server that had fy_iceworld. I entered the server with no people on it. 11 hours later it had like 15 people on it and I was still there with like a 350+ score. People came in and out. Sometimes 12 people, sometimes 4, sometimes just one. But whats funny is that 11 hours later, the last guy had left and I was back by myself where I started. I left the game, looked at the clock, did a little math and realised I had played 11 hours straight on that server.

Man was my ass hurting...

james_bond_rulez
09-20-2003, 04:57 AM
yes games are found to be relaxing and entertaining if you know to manage your time

I found if I spend too much time playing games I react slower to things and easy to get angry

So I watch how much time I spend on games

james_bond_rulez
09-20-2003, 04:59 AM
yeah I did find multiplayer games like cs to be addictive

that's why i stopped stealing cd keys and got all of my existing keys banned for life :D

ultimatejester
09-20-2003, 06:30 PM
so far all i have got are the pros. no cons

Assultsniper
09-20-2003, 10:25 PM
Cons - Wastes your life, Its all scripted by people,its not real,destroys society, and its definetly a girl reppelent

bluedevil
09-20-2003, 10:37 PM
the con thing is when you enter a part of the game that you cannot pass without playing it over and over.

makes me wanna smash things :P

abu_has_the_power
09-20-2003, 10:42 PM
the con of gaming is that ur grades go down the drain. if i were to play 11 hrs of cs nonstop, 1st, my parents will nuke me, then my grades would fall, if i play often

RGX
09-20-2003, 11:35 PM
Games are an escape from reality, just like movies, just like TV, just like board games

Hand eye co ordination improves greatly, and it provides a well needed vent to take out your frustration on (vice city for example), rather than taking out your anger and aggression on other people

everyone needs an escape, through music, literature, and games....countless more

Xilo
09-20-2003, 11:45 PM
I played an EverQuest session for 4 days straight. Only got off to take a crap, piss, eat, shower, etc during down time when I was waiting for a full mana bar and had lots and lots of caffeine. Only slept a few hours... It was getting to the point where I felt like I was going to peel over and my brain and eyes were rot, sorta like a zombie :lol:

CadeLaguana
09-21-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Xilo@21 September 2003 - 00:45
I played an EverQuest session for 4 days straight. Only got off to take a crap, piss, eat, shower, etc during down time when I was waiting for a full mana bar and had lots and lots of caffeine. Only slept a few hours... It was getting to the point where I felt like I was going to peel over and my brain and eyes were rot, sorta like a zombie :lol:
Thats how I felt playing runescape (a mmorpg). Runescape you could mine, fish, do tons of quests, fight for skill, herblaw with using herbs to make potions, make your own arrows, make all kinds of armour and weapons by smithing. Mine bronze, iron, steel, mith, adamantite, rune. Rune require like a level 90 in mining to mine it. That would take about a year to get that good...I played that game straight for a year and only managed to get to level 67 in mining. I mined day and night, made armour, sold it.

When I woke up I played it untill I went to sleep. My girlfriend had to force food down me. I just ate a quick sandwich or something.

Damn that game was addictive. But I had to get over it. Don't play it anymore but I recommend it anyone who loves masive multiplayer online rpgs.

Also its best to run the game with your desktop resolution at 800x600 since the window gets to small any higher...

ahhh wtf am I saying, not like any of you are going to check it out...

Don't do it. You will get hooked and die. ;)

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 03:16 AM
that is why I avoid that kind of game

I, too, have fell into the lures of multiplayer games, playing for hours without knowing day and night and my health just degradated

So I ditched all of my online games and now I only play single player games, even then I watch how long I play, 2 hours max

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by CadeLaguana@21 September 2003 - 01:15
When I woke up I played it untill I went to sleep. My girlfriend had to force food down me. I just ate a quick sandwich or something.
wow such a nice girlfriend.

I would've taken your girlfriend while you were still in that fantasy world mining all that crap :D

but seriously that was nice of her :D

Jay
09-21-2003, 05:26 AM
i dont know about pros or cons but i see myself playing less and less as time goes on

Turd Ferguson
09-21-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Jay@21 September 2003 - 05:26
i dont know about pros or cons but i see myself playing less and less as time goes on
Me too. I used to come home from school and play for like 2-3hrs every day, but now I probably play about 3 or 4 hrs a week, and only that much because I'm not working full time yet.